Home Technical Talk

A new modeling tool released

Replies

• IStonia
    new update
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-jan-14-11.rar
    Summary of changes:
    * Two selection tools are added Selections > Save Current Subobject Selection, Selections > Paste Saved Subobject Selection.
    Not planing to seperate the selection undo/redo from operation undo/redo as it makes things complicated. Sometimes you want to undo selection only, sometimes you want to undo operation only, and many times you want to undo both. When remove/add operations are performed the previously recorded selection becomes invalid...also hard to implement.
    * The Circularize tool's ability is broadened, and it has been moved to subobject tool group.
    * A bug in 3D-Coat AppLink is fixed. Subdivision mesh is now always exported.
    * View > Show Symmetry Plane

Thanks!

sikafu: I think I understand what's the probem you come across now. After you combine the two objects into one, the result object has two meshes. That's why it has two symmetry axis. What you can do is, in Mesh Mode, select the two meshes, hit the combine button to make them into one mesh.

ghib: Can you give more detail about the snapping and vertex visible bugs. I can't see them.
    Also, do you still have the bug which occurs after adding new streamline tool?

GregD3: The topological axis only wroks in scupting, it actually is not a phisical axis. I can't see a possible way to do the similar thing in modeling.
  • elte
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    It's so rapid I'm getting lost now :p

Great job Kun.
  • GregD3
    The topological axis only wroks in scupting, it actually is not a phisical axis. I can't see a possible way to do the similar thing in modeling.

I see. This would be the next best thing, "Calculate Symmetry" from Silo's Wiki.
    Specifically this:
    Note that this command will not immediately move any geometry to make it visually symmetrical, (for that, use Restore Symmetry after calculating symmetry, or use Mirror Geometry) but future geometry edits will move affected geometry to make it symmetrical. This means that you can leave portions of your model asymmetrical even while you are working with symmetry. Just don't edit those parts while symmetry is enabled.

Thanks for the update!
  • IStonia
    Elte: Sounds like you are still in holiday mood.

GregD3: VW has this symmetry behavour already. You can turn off symmetry flag in the Manipulation panel bottom of window then do transformation on one side, the other side won't follow. When you want the symmetry back, just turn the flap back on. But when the symmetry flag is off, if you do something like adding or deleting geometry, the object's symmetry structure will be lost.
    And I am still waiting for the 3DC AppLink testing result.
  • ghib
  • IStonia
    ghib:

Thanks for the video!

I tried to follow what you did in the video but just can't 100%. I created a new generic tool, acivated the tool name text control to edit the new tool's name, while the text control still focused, I hit Enter button on keyboard, a dialog shows up and I clicked the Yes button... That's where it is different, in your video the customizing form is still there after the dlg is closed, but in my case the customizing form closes and every thing is ok.

I just do something and hopefully it would be fixed. Finger cross.

http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-jan-15-11.rar
  • ghib
    Just checked that latest release. So far it is working but I'll give it a thorough testing later.

Also just trying out the latest Circularize on all subobjects. Works brilliantly 99% of the time. I have noticed on a few occasions that it doesn't really know what to do and makes a mess of the verts. I'll try and pin down why it's doing this.

A couple of quick suggestions:
    • Would it be possible to ,in poly mode, to also auto space the verts evenly within the boundary of the selected polys during Circularize.
    • Add a series of Selection conversion commands that will select the vertices that lie within the boundary of edge/poly selections.
      VW_selection_conv.jpg
      Also any other combinations you can think of.
  • GregD3
    IStonia wrote: »
    GregD3: VW has this symmetry behavour already. You can turn off symmetry flag in the Manipulation panel bottom of window then do transformation on one side, the other side won't follow. When you want the symmetry back, just turn the flap back on. But when the symmetry flag is off, if you do something like adding or deleting geometry, the object's symmetry structure will be lost.
    And I am still waiting for the 3DC AppLink testing result.

Thanks, sorry for wasting your time with that :). Now as far as using symmetry, how do I change the position of the symmetry plane? I imported half a face and need to move the symmetry plane to the center seam of the face, currently the symmetry plane is at about the center of the object (through the eye of the face). I tried moving the Pivot Position to where I want the symmetry origin to be but it doesn't work.

As far as the AppLink testing, I haven't run into any issues so far.
  • ghib
    GregD3 wrote: »
    how do I change the position of the symmetry plane?

I've also been wondering this.. and while we're on the subject of the symmetry plane the Shortcut Symmetry Options need to be included in the Customize Tools box.

Liking the addition of Show Symmetry Plane.
  • IStonia
    new update
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-jan-16-11.rar
    Summary of changes:
    * Symmetry axis options can be set via shortcut command tools.
    * Selections > Polygon Selections > Edges/Vertices Inside Selection
    * Selections > Edge Selections > Polygons/Vertices Inside Selection
    * new vertex command shortcut tool: Vertex Shortcut Tools > Snap to Symmetry Plane. In default setting, it is assigned to vertex D tool's MMB click event. It moves the whole mesh so that the highligted vertex will align onto the symmetry plane. Symmetry plane must be visible and the mesh must not be symmetrized or subdivided.

Thanks!
  • GregD3
    Thanks for the update.
    I'm having a hard time with the snapping in general, it behaves very unpredictably. And snapping does not seem to work in edge and polygon mode.
  • IStonia
    GregD3: Can you give more detail on the problem? If you show that in a video or something visual would be helpfull. I will add snapping into edge/polygon mode.
  • GregD3
    Going between Silo and VW I think I've found the source of the issues I'm having.

Snapping should not use the cursor position but the position of the vertex. I think that is the main thing that is throwing me off.
    Also add an adjustment for snapping distance. I think snapping will feel better if the distance was a little smaller.
    Trying to snap one vertex to another vertex doesn't work. Edit: I should be more specific. The selected vertex snaps but the position is no where near the snap-to vertex.

I'll try to put together a video.
  • IStonia
    Hi Guys,

new update
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-jan-23-11.rar

Summary of changes:
    * The program has been upgraded to .net 2.0. For 64-bit machines, if it does not run, you may need to install The Microsoft .NET Framework version 2 redistributable package of 32-bit version, http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-NET-Framework-Redistributable-Package-x86/3000-10250_4-10726028.html
    * Docking control system is introduced to make the ui flexible. The docking window's caption can be double clicked/dragged to toggle between float/dock states. Some new gui options are added, Customize > Preference.
    * Right click a command label in SmartTips to open the hotkey form with that shortcut tool selected.
    * Object List tool can be opened in any mode.
    * The 3DC AppLink's 'Inform 3D-Coat this program's executable path' button is removed. Instead, the program will auto check and create the run.txt every it is loaded.
    * Snapping now works in edge and polygon modes. If multi objects are selected, it also works.

Thanks!
  • Gremriel
    The new version gives a JIT error, and the download you suggested can't be installed on 64 bits windows :(
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Cool updates! Cant wait to try the latest version, again :)
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Your doing a great work on this, always fun to see a new program evolve :)
    Keep on going!
  • IStonia
    Gremriel: I don't have a 64-bit machine so I can't check it out myself. It seems the .net2.0 download I suggested only works in 32-bit machine.
    Here is another possible download:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=b44a0000-acf8-4fa1-affb-40e78d788b00&displaylang=en
    This webpage states 'It contains both the 64-bit and 32-bit runtime in one convenient setup'.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Just went to try the latest version, haven't sense before the splash screen got updated. Gives an error though and then freezes while loading :( Running Win7 x64, and tried the linked .net file but said that I already had it installed.
  • IStonia
    Polyhertz: Since you can see the splach screen, that means it's working somehow. Can you tell me the error message you got. It could be somthing else than .net.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    The error window that pops up is titled "LoadingForm", and says it's an unhandled exception.
    "is not a valid Win32 application. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700C1)."

After pressing Continue on that the splash screen pops up but just sits there.
  • IStonia
    PolyHertz: I still can't figure out the problem from the information you provided. I made a simple .net 2.0 program. Can you download and test it. It is just a form and two buttons.
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/net2Test-1.rar
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    yep, loads just fine.
  • IStonia
    Can you try out this built. I just suppress the splash screen's showing.
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-jan-23a-11.rar
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, still getting the error and main window doesn't show, just no splash screen afterwords now. Here's what it says in the "details" part of the error message if that helps:
    See the end of this message for details on invoking 
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.BadImageFormatException:  is not a valid Win32 application. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700C1)
       at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.AnimationDesignForm..ctor(Boolean supressed, Form startForm, String prodName, String version, String formatVersion, Int32 startWidth, Int32 startHeight, FormWindowState startWindowState)
       at DigitalFossil.StartForm.GenerateApp()
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
        Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    VoidWorld 2.4
        Assembly Version: 2.3.4040.30652
        Win32 Version: 2.3.4040.30652
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Greg/Desktop/New%20folder/VoidWorld%202.4.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Data
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_64/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
    System.Xml
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    CharacterClasses
        Assembly Version: 2.3.4040.30642
        Win32 Version: 2.3.4040.30642
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Greg/Desktop/New%20folder/CharacterClasses.DLL
    WorkShop
        Assembly Version: 2.3.4040.30647
        Win32 Version: 2.3.4040.30647
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Greg/Desktop/New%20folder/WorkShop.DLL
    BasicD3DClasses
        Assembly Version: 2.3.4040.30643
        Win32 Version: 2.3.4040.30643
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Greg/Desktop/New%20folder/BasicD3DClasses.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
        <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

• IStonia
    Looks like it is image file problem. Hopefully this debug version can pinpoint the exact location. Please give me the full detail error msg as previously.
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-jan-23b-11.rar
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure thing. Here's the new detail error message:
    See the end of this message for details on invoking 
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.BadImageFormatException:  is not a valid Win32 application. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700C1)
       at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.AnimationDesignForm..ctor(Boolean supressed, Form startForm, String prodName, String version, String formatVersion, Int32 startWidth, Int32 startHeight, FormWindowState startWindowState)
       at DigitalFossil.StartForm.GenerateApp()
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    VoidWorld 2.4
        Assembly Version: 2.3.4040.32938
        Win32 Version: 2.3.4040.32938
        CodeBase: file:///E:/downloads/New%20folder/VoidWorld%202.4.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Data
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_64/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
    System.Xml
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    CharacterClasses
        Assembly Version: 2.3.4040.2094
        Win32 Version: 2.3.4040.2094
        CodeBase: file:///E:/downloads/New%20folder/CharacterClasses.DLL
    WorkShop
        Assembly Version: 2.3.4040.32932
        Win32 Version: 2.3.4040.32932
        CodeBase: file:///E:/downloads/New%20folder/WorkShop.DLL
    BasicD3DClasses
        Assembly Version: 2.3.4040.32375
        Win32 Version: 2.3.4040.32375
        CodeBase: file:///E:/downloads/New%20folder/BasicD3DClasses.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
        <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

• IStonia
    The error message is still the same.
    I will check in the net to see if can find the solution.
  • IStonia
    PolyHertz: I explicitly compile the app as 32 bit. Hope it works.
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-jan-23c-11.rar
  • Gremriel
    It runs, but screen redraw is painfully slow. I can actually see the Ui build pixel by pixel :P (ok, that was an exaggeration)
  • IStonia
    Gremriel: I did a little bit of research in the internet and found "This means that you should see no slowdown when running 32-bit applications on a 64-bit OS" Under "Performance Implications of Running a 64-bit Operating System" in this Microsoft web page http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee418798.aspx
    So just don't know may be the cause. Can you tell me what the viewport performance look like? If there is any viewport rendering performance drop, it may affect the gui update speed.
  • Gremriel
    Viewport manipulation is good, it''s the initial loading of the UI that is very slow. I see the viewports being build (very small in the beginning) and then settling at the correct dimensions. (if this makes any sense).
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, still not working :(
  • GregD3
    I'm also getting the error. Is it related to this?

I'm running Win64 SP2
  • IStonia
    I have instructed the compiler to compile the app for x86(32bit) platform in the 23c built, that means win64 should run it as 32 bit application. Is there a way to tell a program is running as 32 bit or 64 bit in win64.

Gremriel: Since it's only the initial loading is slow, I would have to dimiss this issue for now. It could be the components serializing for optimal loading thing.
  • IStonia
    Ok, I think I may have found the way to tell a running app is 32 bit or 64 bit.
    Gremriel, can you do me a favour to do this since your win64 is the only one I know that VW runs.
    1. Load VoidWorld.
    2. Right click window Task Bar to bring up a context menu.
    3. Click 'Start Task Manager' to open 'Windows Task Manager' form.
    4. Open the 'Processes' tab you will see a name list of the running applications.
    5. Please tell me whether there is *32 behind VoidWorld 2.4.exe.
  • IStonia
    Polyhertz, GregD3: Can you test this two? Both of them won't call any DirectX dll. If it runs, please let me know if it runs under 32 bit or not.
    Any one else who has come across the similar probem are also wellcome to do the test.

http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/Test24a.rar
    The splash screen should show up. The program stops here. Click Close button to close it.

http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/Test24b.rar
    The splash screen should show up with two docking panels in it. Make sure you can interact with the docking panels. The program stops here. Click Close button to close it.
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    I don´t know i that helps but both show up as 32 Bit on my computer(Win 7 64 Bit) and are just running fine(except for 50% CPU usage for both tests).
    Regardless of that i didn´t have problems to run it at all.
  • IStonia
    SpeCter: Thanks for that! There is a thread keeps running in the two test builts, so the 50% CPU consumption is expected. I guess you have dual core, otherwise it could be near 100%.
    I just suspect that in PolyHertz and GregD3's case, their computers somehow run the app as 64 bit. By default, a 64 bit computer will attempt to run a program as 64 bit unless the app is marked as 32 bit only.
  • GregD3
    Both run fine and in *32 bit mode.
    Is there a way you can compile 2 versions of VW in 32 and 64 modes? It would be nice to be able to run VW in all 64 bits :)
  • IStonia
    I just can't create a 64 bit version, because I use Microsoft's MDX which can only run in 32 bit.
    Please try out this. It will out put some messages if failed.
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-jan-24-11.rar
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Tested, runs smoothly on 64 Bit. Still hope for a nicer UI, but core functions come first :)
  • GregD3
    Seems to run fine, no errors. I like the docking panels so far.
  • Gremriel
    It has 32 behind it, and it runs ok. I can live with the initial slow UI build up :)
  • elte
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Tried the latest build http://www.digitalfossils.com/Downlo...-jan-24-11.rar

I've missed a lot, but the new UI seems more flexible, although vw starts to load slower now.

It would be nice if we have quick access buttons on the top row, like save, selection mode, etc
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hi, not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I just had a problem with moving a vertex using selection orientation: I moved the edges of a box, cut it up a bunch of times. When moving a vertex I cut into the middle of a face with selection orientation mode, the orientation of the vertex constantly moves and it moves away from the surface it was aligned with. If I do this enough the vertex shoots off screen. I was manipulating with the handle paralell with the surface, so it shouldnt have moved away

ps: I'm digging the snappable view panel stuff, nice work :)
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest version works :)
  • IStonia
    rooster: When in selection orientation mode, the program will constantly try to align the manipulator to vertex normal. I should change it so once user activated the manipulator, its orientation will remain unchanged. For now, a way to walk around is to set the orientation mode to manual.
    Thanks!

That's a good news, PolyHertz.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    kk- I'm a bit confused tho (I'm not too hot on 3d maths mind), why the vertex normal was moving? if I was moving the vert along its own axes parallel to the surface. is it something to do with smoothing groups
  • IStonia
    What do you mean by 'moving vert along its own axes'? How do you define axis from one single vertex.
    A vertex normal is defined by the average normal of the surrounding polygons. It has nothing to do with smoothing groups.

Maybe I really don't quite catch what your said.