Home General Discussion

Recommend me a modelling app

Vii
Vii
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Vii polycounter lvl 6
Hi,

Let me preface this by saying this is NOT a vs thread. I just want some recommendations. Long story short after 4-5 years of modelling in it, I'm DONE with Maya; Autodesk has proven that they can not handle development on it and their incompetence has me pulling my hair out at the roots, my meshes are randomly becoming unable to be smoothed (crash without warning) due to yet another new bug, NEX integration is fighting against the old system, even QT still isn't properly integrated and even if it was it would still be vomit-worthy based on their practices alone. Software ridden with ancient bugs, worthy features (eg cgmuscle) never updated or fixed, and new features rarely more than a gimmick while necessary tools are stuck in the stone age. :poly118:

- I have tried Modo in the past. It was not bad once I got used to things however the way Modo handles pivots is not good and that alone was enough to put me off it. Has this changed? I want to like it, but until the pivot system is fast accurate and friendly I wont

- No interest in trying 3ds max again since Autodesk is obviously going to discontinue it and I want a long-term investment

- No interest in using blender as it's not something I can open up and continue working on my scene, I'd have to learn the software first. This is true for all to an extent but even more so for blender

If this is a factor at all I like to work with a stylized/cartoon style, and I work in both games and film. But it shouldn't matter. Save my sanity.

Replies

• SecretPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally in regards to modeling I would recommend Modo, it can be argue but when it comes to modeling, it is really ahead of the competition atm.

Keep in mind no tool is ever perfect, with that in mind Maya and 3ds Max are still critical and used widely in the industry. In the end, if you are under stress in deciding which software to incorporate into your pipeline. I would just try them all out and see what suits you best. Very easy these days, to either get a student version or a free version of any tool so nothing to stop the user, from experimenting. Hope that helps
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modo, all day long.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modododododo. Learn to love the work plane, and action center.
  • Ben Apuna
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can Modo preview real time directX shaders?
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Vii wrote: »
    - No interest in trying 3ds max again since Autodesk is obviously going to discontinue it and I want a long-term investment

That's not true at all.

But I do feel like the updates each version are fairly underwhelming regardless.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DireWolf wrote: »
    Can Modo preview real time directX shaders?
    No, Modo is OpenGL and doesn't support custom shaders.

But it's awesome.
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor greentooth
    I'd personally suggest Silo :) It's my favourite atm!
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Same situation. Done with Maya and Autodesk in general, and working on transitioning out of Maya into Houdini for general 3d work, for modeling I've fallen in love with MoI, it is however a NURBS modeler, but it's on a whole different level and doesn't have the difficulty issues usually associated with NURBS. Best construction planes and snapping and reference lines I've ever seen, works great with a tablet and a 3d mouse. It's also only $300. The polygon meshes it exports are great for baking from and generating a low poly. The low poly will need external work though. MoI generates UV's based off the parametric data of the NURBS surface, this may or may not be acceptable for your particular pipeline.

In the polygon/sds modeling side of things I like Nvil Very slick context sensitive workflow as well, some very cool curve based modeling features and tool customization options and it's dirt cheap at $79. It's also got some retopology tools but I haven't used them. I don't think Nvil has any UV tools so you will need to do them in something else.

Both packages have demos, the down side to the demos is they are of older versions so you don't get a real idea of what the packages are fully capable of. MoI in particular has some amazing features that aren't available in the demo.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    Well, I guess I'm trying Modo again.

Opened it up and the first thing that I can't remember how I got rid of last time popped up immediately.

The camera. It's.. stupid. Or retarded, or both.

Why would I ever want the camera to roll as I move around the scene? It's making me feel nauseas. Reminds me of when I went sailing and capsized the boat.

Where is the don't be a retard button for the camera?
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Silo is definitely worth taking a look. Compared to Modo, it lacks lots of advanced tools but it's very fast and so much fun.
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used modo for over a year and besides the constant crashing and the crappy snapping (which is slightly better but still very undewhelming imo) I think I simply cannot swallow its philosophy. It's fairly fast to model with but I'd stick to it for organic stuff where you don't need too much precision. I'd say it's not a bad app to learn.

I personally prefer Max. It has its quirks and I keep reading everywhere every release is underwhelming but people expect lighting in a bottle after each release. Yeah, some bugs are STILL there after 5 years (if not more) but the stack, the snapping and the precision -if you need it- are still second to none to me. All modeling apps those days rely heavily on scripts but Max right out of the box has the best modeling tools imo. I bought rappatools and still learning how to use them but I find the whole package plus other minor free scripts really well rounded.

Regarding Autodesk killing Max I seriously doubt Autodesk is going to shoot dead one of their most successful products. Softimage didn't have the same userbase and 3rd party support and Autodesk saw in Bifrost a way to even the odds in Maya's favor even though it's not a 1:1 comparison according to people who explained to me how awesome ICE is.

Getting my feet wet with Maya here and I'd say the modeling tools are a tragedy but I am getting to appreciate some of its features. I am learning it only cos it's popular and because it's got all the latest tech. I admit I wouldn't bother otherwise.

PD: I too dislike modo's way of handling pivots.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    I had a look at Silo a couple of weeks ago. Their features page was bullshit central, don't want to try it on principle.

Example:
    Zen Workflow
    Silo's careful design and its focus on pure modeling allows it to have a free, uncluttered feeling which is simply not possible in larger applications. Whether you are working to precise specifications or sketching out your thoughts, it is much easier to do so in a calm, focused modeling environment. This benefits professionals who are coming to Silo to escape slower, more complex software. It also benefits hobbyists and students, who are able to learn everything they need without having to deal with anything they don't need.

It sure doesn't help that this is the first thing they list either. If I want less clutter I turn shit off and save the layout for later. And I use marking menus, at least in Maya and other apps have ways of dealing with this. They're basically saying our best feature is that we don't have features. /facepalm

Oh, wait, I didn't read any of the other ones because I closed it after reading that last time. I skimmed and rather unimpressed.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Why would I ever want the camera to roll as I move around the scene?

I think you are referring to trackball rotation. If so, you can turn it off in viewport settings(click the little triangle at the upper right corner of the viewport).
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    - I have tried Modo in the past. It was not bad once I got used to things however the way Modo handles pivots is not good and that alone was enough to put me off it. Has this changed? I want to like it, but until the pivot system is fast accurate and friendly I wont

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I've never had any problems with the way Modo pivots things; you just click where you want a pivot to be, or you select from a dropdown for things like origin, object center, etc.

Anyway, I'm going to agree with everyone else and say Modo is worth the investment. It's weird compared to other programs, but weird in a good way.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    dr grim wrote: »
    I used modo for over a year and besides the constant crashing

In other words, everyone who recommended modo (nearly everyone) didn't read my OP :(
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Well, I guess I'm trying Modo again.

Opened it up and the first thing that I can't remember how I got rid of last time popped up immediately.

The camera. It's.. stupid. Or retarded, or both.

Why would I ever want the camera to roll as I move around the scene? It's making me feel nauseas. Reminds me of when I went sailing and capsized the boat.

Where is the don't be a retard button for the camera?

You should watch go through the tuts upon starting the software. It has a page dedicated to your exact complaint :D

Sometimes you gotta suck it up and read the app tuts quickly to figure some basic stuff out.

You can also change the navigation keys to match Maya/3DsMax.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    EmAr wrote: »
    I think you are referring to trackball rotation. If so, you can turn it off in viewport settings(click the little triangle at the upper right corner of the viewport).

Thank you :)
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    beefaroni wrote: »
    You should watch go through the tuts upon starting the software. It has a page dedicated to your exact complaint :D

Sometimes you gotta suck it up and read the app tuts quickly to figure some basic stuff out.

You can also change the navigation keys to match Maya/3DsMax.

Agree of-course, but I was hoping I can just cheat a little by asking the few questions since there's already a thread and I learned it once before and just need to close the gaps of info that I've misplaced. One of the side effects of being awake at 6.30am is not wanting to do anything that requires any amount of effort I suppose.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    10 years ago, someone "who new a guy" told me Autodesk was canceling Max and I should focus on other applications. That's a pretty long shutdown process :P

Considering you prefaced with asking for advice on modeling programs that aren't, Max, Maya, Modo or Blender, I have no idea what to tell you. Milkshape, is that still developed? You should also accept the fact that if you're in a studio you'll be working with Maya, Max, or Modo. Wait a minute, maybe it's something about programs that begin with M.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Milkshape, Cinema 4D, Silo and Wings ... I guess. And Anvil that someone here was developing.

I guess those?

But no, just get MODO.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    So this Modo thing. Googling to find out how to locate/change the key to rename something that's in the item list with the input manager is pretty bad. It's even worse when there really isn't any real answer.

Renaming is more or less an example. I can't sort by alphabetical order in a way that is actually useful, I can't search for hotkeys. How in the nine hells do I locate what I want in this mess? I shouldn't be looking for it, if I want to change rename I should type rename then it should be there :(

I hope this is just another case of being up at 6.30am.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lightwave lol.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Wait a minute, maybe it's something about programs that begin with M.

Milkshape is clearly the wave of the future.

It supports Source Engine file formats!
  • Joopson
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    2015 was Maya's best update in Years, and it actually had me feeling like things are picking up, but whatever floats your goat.

The programs worth anything are:
    Maya, Max, Modo, Silo, Blender, Cinema 4D, XSI (Softimage, now discontinued though), and that's about it.

At a studio, probably Max, Maya, or Blender (since it's free).

I should mention I haven't had any of the issues in Maya that you mention. Maybe it's something in your workflow, or something about your machine.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    Turning trackball off was a step in the right direction but this other development is making me WANT to have a heart attack.

Does this camera know what a pivot is? Can I teach it?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you watching any tutorials? I think a lot of this would be cleared up with a few videos.

Pat Crandly has a bunch of good ones on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/patcran/playlists

The Luxology site itself also has a ton of Spotlight videos.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    Joopson wrote: »
    2015 was Maya's best update in Years, and it actually had me feeling like things are picking up, but whatever floats your goat.

The programs worth anything are:
    Maya, Max, Modo, Silo, Blender, Cinema 4D, XSI (Softimage, now discontinued though), and that's about it.

At a studio, probably Max, Maya, or Blender (since it's free).

I should mention I haven't had any of the issues in Maya that you mention. Maybe it's something in your workflow, or something about your machine.

Have ever had a look into Maya's C++ API? The one thing you need to know when doing so is that Autodesk is the enemy. The majority of your plugin development time will be focused on contemplating the manifestation of ancient and incomprehensible bugs, and to a lesser extent - working around them - you do not fix them because in soviet Autodesk, bug fix you. It can sometimes help to pretend you're Harrison Ford, however if you are unaware of Autodesk's position as your enemy it will be a perilous journey. The knowledge that you'd be better off contemplating the meaning of life as we know it is the only thing that will save you from being devoured by the void. The void has no logic, meaning, or purpose. The void is also known as Autodesk.

With this in mind there is no way that you can surmise an Autodesk product's stability is a result of the user's computer or workflow because the likelihood of being able to make a stable addition to Maya when you're using your end users as your beta testers, is extremely low.

Furthermore, my workflow is something that I have developed over several years and is proven valid. I am not doing anything so overly complex that it can cause these issues and I know this is a huge stretch considering the sheer unpredictability of Autodesk's products, however my workflow does not differ between versions of Maya, and I can take the exact same scene into a previous version via ascii/edit to modify version/etc, and the issues no longer persist.

I can't imagine what there is in 2015 that makes you feel it is the best update in years, they made viewport 2.0 usable - although, I haven't rigged in it yet and it was at rare times giving inaccurate visual feedback in 2014. NEX integration is still no better than an Autodesk intern's vomit. Gimmicks.

And lastly, goats are really stupid and while they can swim will probably forget to paddle so for all intended purposes they may or may not float.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Are you watching any tutorials? I think a lot of this would be cleared up with a few videos.

Pat Crandly has a bunch of good ones on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/patcran/playlists

The Luxology site itself also has a ton of Spotlight videos.

I guess I'm trying to avoid it because there's no reason I should have to watch an entire video where someone drawls on and on for 5-20 minutes while I try not to fall asleep while locating the 1 sentence answer I want.

I think I'm emotionally scarred from watching an 'advanced' digital tutors rigging video in the past where they explained why they name their joints. No, this is not a joke - I am not laughing.

If it's really too inconvenient to answer then that's fine too, I don't want to waste a tiny bit of people's time to save a lot of my own.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have ever had a look into Maya's C++ API?

Nope, I don't have a need to; In a game studio, digging into scripting/coding plugins is the job of the Tech Artist, there's a few hanging around polycount but you might be better served asking around Tech-Artists.org.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I'm trying to avoid it because there's no reason I should have to watch an entire video where someone drawls on and on for 5-20 minutes while I try not to fall asleep while locating the 1 sentence answer I want.
    It's more about spending 10 minutes to get an overview of the interface so you know where everything is and generally how the program works.

But to each his own...
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    Nope, I don't have a need to; In a game studio, digging into scripting/coding plugins is the job of the Tech Artist, there's a few hanging around polycount but you might be better served asking around Tech-Artists.org.

Why would I need to go to tech artist forum to respond to his comment about Maya's stability being related to my machine lol. And why are you answering a rhetorical question that was aimed at someone else, and was mostly sarcastic in the first place :P Was merely illustrating the point that Maya is built on a foundation similar to a garbage heap and Autodesk doesn't have the capacity in terms of development to work with it, around it, or fix it.

And, uh, anyway. I work on a lot of personal projects and the like at home, or I freelance, I'm not always in a studio and I like having my own arsenal - the only real benefit to Maya is it's potential to be built upon.

Did you know in Maya 2014 they introduced a joint symmetry tool? It's fantastic, if you spend 0.5 seconds to activate it you no longer have to spend 0.5 seconds to mirror your joints. :poly142:
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I think I'm emotionally scarred from watching an 'advanced' digital tutors rigging video in the past where they explained why they name their joints. No, this is not a joke - I am not laughing.

If it's really too inconvenient to answer then that's fine too, I don't want to waste a tiny bit of people's time to save a lot of my own.

Well, if you avoid looking at tutorials you're going to have a rough time learning any software. Surely you didn't instinctively know how to use every feature in Maya the first time you opened it.

Luxology's official tutorials are quite good as well:

http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/tv/training/

I'll say it again, action centers are really, really useful. Think of them as "live" pivots. You can use action centers as pivot points that you can rapidly change at any point for certain operations: http://docs.luxology.com/modo/601/help/pages/modotoolbox/ActionCenters.html

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyUxqSCT03M"]modo quick tip: fine control of the Action Center - YouTube[/ame]

That video covers pivots and action centers^

from the docs, pivots: http://docs.luxology.com/modo/601/help/pages/scenesetup/CentersPivots.html
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    I can only ascertain that people have missed my previous response stating that I've used Modo before and just have a few things popping up that I don't recall how to fix from the last time I used it. So yeah, watching entire videos to find a few words is rather strange.

But that said, I should probably at least watch them for the sake of picking up things that might not have interested me in the past, and shall hopefully do so when I wake up sometime in the afternoon >.>

I apologize for my over-use of sarcasm, especially when I'm not being sarcastic. Being tired is making me irritable and extremely unserious.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations. I suppose I have no choice but to learn to use Modo and if necessary write a whole lot of scripts that essentially just turns it into Maya. Except not shit.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I updated my post with some more stuff, including a short video that should explain exactly what you're looking for. Just wanted to make sure you catch it.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks. Will look when I wake up :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good luck, if everyone finds condescending sarcasm as charming as I do, you're bound to get a lot of help!
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I really want to use Modo but It's not available at work and I like working on my own projects during lunch :( Also won't be able to afford it any time soon. I could get the Steam edition and use that at work, does anyone recommend it?
  • SecretPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    komaokc wrote: »
    I really want to use Modo but It's not available at work and I like working on my own projects during lunch :( Also won't be able to afford it any time soon. I could get the Steam edition and use that at work, does anyone recommend it?

I don't want to burst a bubble here, but surprised this is still an issue. Being that we now have access to CG softwares and tutorials for free. Than again I assume you already know this and just fall under the category of people that feel the incentive to pay for the tool even if they can get it for free. In that case, I understand :).

Just though I throw it out there, so folks understand software pricing should not be an obstacle to them trying new tools.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well by that I hope you mean the free 15 day trial version of Modo, which comes with meshfussion!!!!! to and can be found here: http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/trymodo/
  • SecretPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Well by that I hope you mean the free 15 day trial version of Modo, which comes with meshfussion!!!!! to and can be found here: http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/trymodo/

Note that some software trials have many limitations and non commercial use of course. But I was leading more towards full version, not a topic to lead towards, but I am sure many artist know what I mean.

In the end, when the issue is what tool to use, just try them out and spend a few hours and you can find the perfect software that supplements your workflow.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »

Nice, I really wanted to try out mesh fusion, I'll have to give it a shot. A few of the artists at work use Modo, I haven't really had the call to use it since I'm currently working with a lot of animation & pre rendered sprites where I don't really need precision modeling.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SecretPro wrote: »
    Note that some software trials have many limitations and non commercial use of course. But I was leading more towards full version, not a topic to lead towards, but I am sure many artist know what I mean.

In the end, when the issue is what tool to use, just try them out and spend a few hours and you can find the perfect software that supplements your workflow.

Let's stop this here and now. Suggesting the use of pirated software on Polycount is not something that will be tolerated. If you continue on this path your account may be banned.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63361
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Would be nice to have more than 15 days to evaluate $2000 in initial licensing costs.

Mesh fusion looks interesting as far as initial workflow but the resulting mesh is subpar and would need to be rebuilt.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel wrote: »
    Would be nice to have more than 15 days to evaluate $2000 in initial licensing costs.

Mesh fusion looks interesting as far as initial workflow but the resulting mesh is subpar and would need to be rebuilt.

They also have a 30 day trial for $25. Its always seemed a bit weird to charge for a trial, but I guess they're trying to weed out the people who aren't serious.
  • Jeremy Mitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Mitchell polycounter lvl 6
    Blender has a lot of good stuff going for it. Lots of modo-isms like the 3d cursor and catmull-clark edge creases. No work plane yet.. Hopefully one day :D

Modo is fantastic, super fast and powerful. I'd rather be in blender than max or maya.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    I've used Blender so long that I couldn't even think about switching to any other modeling application anymore. Besides it's getting more support for game development tools. For example, the exported .fbx files are working a lot better with other 3D applications (including Max, Maya and Modo for instance) and game engines such as UE4 and Unity.

Now Blender has real smoothing groups (or sharp edges, like in Maya), and use of cage (projection mesh) for baking with Cycles, oh and GLSL PBR viewport shading under development as well.

At my school they teach with 3ds Max, which is a total chaos to use for me. And that's just my personal opinion and experience with it.

Modo seems to be a good choise for many out here nowadays, but I'm not sure is it actually an industry standard, are my thoughts right? If not, then I'll use Blender forever. :D
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    $25 for a trial? that's hilarious. Maybe if the initial results were more impressive, but no, $25 just to try something for an extra 15 days is greedy and arrogant.

Oh looks like meshfusion not included in the pay to try for 30 days license.