Home Technical Talk

MODO - UV from Smoothing group

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spoon polycounter lvl 11
Hi guys,

I would like to make my UV islands from my smoothing groups, but when I google it, I find that everyone is trying to do the opposite :D

Im using farfarers furiously sexy Vertex Normal Toolkit to do the normals, and would then like that as a base for my UVs.

Is that possible? Im very new to MODO, so I am most likely missing a simple button.

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should be, in a sort of round-about way, if you get the latest version of my kit (v2.5) I've added a "Convert to Hard Edges" button (middle, bottom row).

Soo....

Run that, but make sure "Remove Smoothing Groups" is unchecked when it pops up to ask you, otherwise it'll remove all your smoothing groups after it's converted them to hard edges.

Then hit the "Select Hard Edges" button (left, second row from bottom) and you can then unwrap your mesh using the now-selected edges with the Unwrap Tool.

And then, to get back to your original smoothing from the smoothing groups...

Drop your edge selection and hit the Smooth Selected Edges button (left, second row) to remove all the hard edges, then hit the Toggle Smoothing button (right, second row) to delete the vertex normal map and it should put your mesh back to the way it was before you started (except now with a UV map, of course).
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Perfect, thanks a lot, Farfarer!
    I must say I am impressed. No matter what issue I google regarding MODO, and no matter what forum pops up in the search results, you are always actively helping people out :)

While I am at it, in hopes of not having to create a new thread, does anyone know of a way/script to export "exploded " scenes?

For example, if I am working on a modular set, I would like all the pivots to be the same/relative, but instead of having to turn off visibility for layers I dont use, I like spreading them out like this.
    There were several nice scripts like this for Max. Are anyone aware of something similar for MODO? Or am I just not using that relative coordinate system properly? :)

Image_zps913fa183.png
  • illo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you move those pieces while in polygon mode the pivot point will stay in the same spot, if you move them while in item mode they will follow the geometry. You can reset the pivot point in one of the option menus. I dont have Modo open, but I believe by default its in the modeling tab, under where the position/scale/rotation vectors are you can click one of the options below to reset the transforms to a global position.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks, Illo. It works great on a per object basis, but for batch exporting several objects for quick tests and iterations, it is not quite what I am looking for, unfortunately. Thanks for the tip, though, I learned something new anyway :)
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure what you want and what you're getting...

Are you wanting to have the pivots all stay at the origin, but you're getting the pivot move?

Or are you wanting the pivot to move but you're getting them all staying at the origin?

In general, don't mess too much with Pivots unless you need to - what you want to edit are the Centres. They do different things.

The Centre is the mesh item's origin.

The Pivot is an offset from the Centre (by default it has zero offset unless you move it) and it acts as the origin for any item-level rotation or scaling for that item.

http://docs.luxology.com/modo/601/help/pages/scenesetup/CentersPivots.html
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Hi again, Farfarer!

Yeah it was a bad explanation. I will try again!

If I am doing a modular set, lets say I am working on 3 different wall pieces.
    A, B and C.

When I import them into the engine, for example UE4, then I want them all to have the pivot in the lower right corner of the wall, so I can easily build in the editor, and swap the pieces if needed.

In max, I could just have the pivot of the object where I want the pivot of the object to be in Unreal. The placement of the object in the Max scene was irrelevant, with a script.

In MODO, as far as my newb knowledge takes me, the pivot will be at the origin.

So, for my pieces to all have the same pivot in Unreal, I should have the 3 walls be on top of each other in MODO. For a modular workflow, however, I would like to have them spread out, so I do not have to toggle layer visibility constantly.

Is there an easy way to have them move the mesh item to the origo at export? I can only figure out how to do it 1 item at a time, since, if I choose multiple items, I get the average pivot to be centered instead.

I tried taking some screens.

I would like to work like this. Objects in different world position in MODO, but with each item having the pivot I would like in Unreal.
    Skaeligrmbillede2014-07-30132749_zps50488a13.png

But, if I export like this, wall A would get a pivot like this:
    Skaeligrmbillede2014-07-30132811_zpsa041b94c.png

Where I would like it to be, as if I had worked like this:
    Skaeligrmbillede2014-07-30132853_zps7fd4a6d8.png

I hope this makes any sense :)
    Thanks for taking the time to even read all of this.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This would be super helpful. It's annoying that FBX export only supports the origin of the mesh being at 0,0,0. Exporting a mesh from anywhere in the modeling app, using it's defined center (in MODO speak) as it's pivot point would be awesome.

Basically, move the mesh's center to the world origin (dragging all of it's polys along with it), export it, move it back. That way you can work on a modular environment however you want, but it all exports correctly for Unreal with proper pivot locations.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I've not got UE4 yet... I'll have a go with Unity and see if I can figure it out. I assume if it can work with Unity it'll work with UE4 :P
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Warren,

Yes, thats what I am doing atm :) It is nice and cute for 3 walls like this example, but for a big modular set where I would like to do many quick iterations, it quickly becomes slightly frustrating and time consuming :)
    Was just wondering if there was a script for it out there. Since I am new to MODO (Just bought it today!!) I am not really aware of what is out there yet :)

EDIT:
    Yes, farfarer, it is simply the pivot the object/FBX/whatever will get at export that is important to me :) Thanks a lot for looking into it!
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Modo's pivot and centre are :poly130: twins

This will show you how to use and export them via FBX:

Make a box off-centre:

s1_zpsf2a46167.png

Select pivot (6) and then (w) move it to the position you want your pivot set to in UE4:

s2_zps73aa0ccd.png

With everything still selected press (7) then (w) and move to your required position. Notice that the pivot will then move from its original position but that is not a problem:

s3_zps7b31a40f.png

Export to UE4 and there is your pivot (flipped) In UE4 Z-Up/Y-Forward:

s4_zps3a7ea2c5.png
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    AAah, Thanks, repete! Do you set the pivot to the position you want, then set the center to the exact same place? Im going to try that tomorrow! Thanks for tuning in! :)
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    You have to play around with it as it is quirky as hell. Doing some more tests on it tonight !

First move pivot
    Second move center to original pivot position

:D!! only in modo
    Spoon wrote: »
    AAah, Thanks, repete! Do you set the pivot to the position you want, then set the center to the exact same place? Im going to try that tomorrow! Thanks for tuning in! :)
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Spoon wrote: »
    Since I am new to MODO (Just bought it today!!)

Congrats! Welcome to team Modonaught.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks, repete. I was hoing for something slighlty more solid than quirky, but this is a nice start :D

Thanks, Dataday! I already love it! I have no idea why I didnt try it earlier, having used Max and maya for years
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    repete wrote: »
    *Awesome Tip*

Slowclap.gif

Thanks so much for that, will save me a lot of time.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    I don't know if it's modos FBX export or UE4's import because moving the center worked flawlessly in UDK on modo 601.

Anyway I have wrote a script to take the pain out of this, just testing now and will upload it later :poly121:
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thats awesome, repete :) This was one of my bigger concerns buying modo as an environment artist. Glad you can solve it for us :)
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmjdqs4kev4f462/SetPivot2UE4.zip

step1_zps53f1cc48.png

step2_zps4e9d6613.png

step3_zps649e9f70.png

step4_zps2b23a20d.png

step5_zps416ddd3c.png

step6_zps27b76b08.png

Remember to rotate your mesh 90 degrees (i think) clockwise before you add the pivot or it will be arse about face in UE4 :poly122: like the pic above. I might add a "rotate mesh" button to this script later. So you just rotate and then add the pivot.

This works also in selection mode, so you don't have to do any extra steps. Just remember when you want to re-move the pivot you have to follow the same procedure. I know it's probably not the best solution but it works.

Just add the file to your "User Configs Folder" and I set the hot key to "shift F1" but you can use whatever you want or add it to your tool bar.

Have fun :poly121:
  • Ben Milette
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Milette polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, sorry if this is off topic, but I didn't think this needed a new topic...
    Anyway, does anyone know if Modo has a "group selected UV's" button like 3ds Max? It saves the positions of the UV's so that when you use the "pack" function, the groups move as one big island, instead of separate islands. I use it a lot to put small islands within empty spaces then pack everything to use up the new space, instead of resizing each island by hand.

I made this gif as an example (not sure how to post gifs)

http://imgur.com/JVFbk8T

I'm looking at buying Modo but I'm a bit hesitant to commit before I learn a bit more about it, so any help is appreciated, Thanks everyone!
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks a lot, repete! I will get a chance to play with this early next week :)
    Really appreciate your effort !

Thats completely fine, Shackles! But if no one sees it here, go ahead an create the thread :)
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Shackes, no, that's not possible in Modo at the moment.
  • Ben Milette
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Milette polycounter lvl 9
    thanks farfarer, do you think it's something that could be scriptable? Create a "Group #x" X and Y coordinates for the bounding box of the group itself, then take subtract the difference of each inner islands real x,y or is that crazy? Gonna look up some example scripts now...
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uh, you could write a script/plugin it I guess, but you'd have to write packing algorithms yourself that handle it. The default Modo ones wouldn't have a concept of that.
  • Karamveer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    excellent tips, you guys make life way more easier
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wrote these for Warren for UE4 exporting, might be useful.

He mentioned that UE4 doesn't appear to need them any more, though. Not tried it to verify that.

http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=37&t=108247
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    As always, thanks a lot, Farfarer!