Home General Discussion

Android and iphone Polycount (subway surfers for excample)

Well few of us are making games for android and iphone, because of their simplycity. And I am asking how much polygons should be on the scree so game runs fast? complexity of code is for more or less simply endless run. I watched various games for android and I can tell that probably one gun in android game called Into the Dead has more polygons then entire scene in subway surfers. so what you think how many polygons does one average character from SS has? I would take them for my course, and make it maybe a bit more detailed.

Replies

• unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    I wouldn't say that making mobile games is simple. In the matter of fact, it is harder than making a game for PC, because there you don't have to worry so much about optimisation.

Anyways, to the question. It's not about polygon count. It is about managing draw calls, texture memory, CPU load, etc. Means you have to have good overall optimization, including properly modelled assets (to reduce vertex count), mobile shaders, texture atlases, correct texture compression, etc.
  • HammerFist3D2D
    I know that. But still answering would be nice. Because I am not expert. Is it beetwin 2000 or 1000?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    a quick google found me this image which has the specs written on it. Really it just depends on your game and which devices you are targeting, the latest devices can handle much higher poly characters than this and still run smooth.
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This varies quite a lot depending on the phone and the shaders you're running.

Polygons are quite cheap, so it's probably going to involve some common sense and trial and error. But a good few if not tens of thousands of polygons are probably not going to cause much issue.