Home Unity

Marmoset Skyshop 1.07 is out! Image Based Lighting for Unity

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
GetAwesome polycounter lvl 14
*Skyshop Update* 1.07 is available now!

What can we say, this release has been a long-time coming! It is by far the most substantial Skyshop release to date. Building upon Skyshop's leading image quality in Unity, localized reflections and a good cubemap manager are paramount to achieving high scene fidelity within dynamic indoor and outdoor real-time projects. Skyshop now brings you the features and tool set to achieve this superb scene fidelity in all of your Unity projects.

1.07 introduces...
  • Sky Blending/Interpolation
  • Box Projected Cube Mapping
  • Spherical Harmonics Diffuse IBL
  • New Sky & Sky Manager System
  • Cubemap Probe System
  • ...lest we forget, Shader Forge Integration! You can now tie in Skyshop's high quality image-based lighting with Unity's most popular node-based shader editor.
Download Skyshop 1.07: http://u3d.as/4Jx

Skyshop 1.07 | Quick Reference: http://goo.gl/yAyllD

Skyshop 1.07 | Video Tutorials: http://goo.gl/C3lS0b

tumblr_n6rfvyC02a1rwuozio1_1280.png

tumblr_n6rfvyC02a1rwuozio2_1280.png

tumblr_n6rfvyC02a1rwuozio3_1280.png

Replies

• monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I'd love to help out. I've got Unity 4 Pro. I would classify myself as an expert in Unity, and I have access to a lot of wll built models and textures.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Put me down. Using Unity 3.5/4 (Android Pro/iOS Pro).
  • Elyaradine
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    I'd love to help too! Been a TA working in Unity for over 2 years, mainly mobile dev.

Currently on 3.5 until we finish our current project, but can get 4 if I need to. :)
  • Maio
    Offline / Send Message
    Maio polycounter lvl 11
    Im a complete noob to unity... but hey if you ever get the urge to change your criteria... maybe writing user friendly docs for example... let me know :)

Kris.hammes@googlemail.com
  • cupsster
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    Count me in. I wok with Unity on daily basis for couple of years. Got access to v3 and v4. If it can be used in mobile even better cause I'm developing racing game as my private project on top of that. :)
    Cheers

cupsster (gmail.com)
  • GetAwesome
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent. Thanks for the interest, everyone. We will be sending out the first round of info to each of you on Monday (Feb 4th). Stay tuned.

FYI, for our immediate needs, we are only up and running on Unity 3.5 at the moment. Version 4 support will be coming in the near future, but is not quite ready.
  • GetAwesome
    Offline / Send Message
    Hugh wrote: »
    will this be applicable to Unity games for a wide variety of visual styles or just model viewing and beauty shots in Unity?

Great question.

Our new Unity tools will be more than just a standalone renderer. These will be lighting and material systems for use in your Unity games, or any kind of interactive Unity app you are inspired to create.
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    I'd love to give it a try, i've got unity 3.5 pro and 4+ years of working with unity
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I've got 3.5 also. :)
  • Campaignjunkie
    Offline / Send Message
    Campaignjunkie polycounter lvl 18
    I can help. I have Unity 3.5 / 4 Pro. I teach Unity in an undergrad / grad games program.
  • Bertmac
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    yep i am in. been working with Unity for a while now. and you guys helped me so much. I am happy to finally do something back.
  • gsokol
    I'd totally be down. The company I work for uses Unity...so I've been working with it every day for the past 3 years or so.

I'd be interested in helping out!
  • LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Throwing my hat in as well. I'd consider myself an intermediate to expert user depending on area of focus, running both 3.5 and 4, Pro license.
  • metalix
    I'm interested, I am a shader writer/CG Generalist using unity 4.0
  • GetAwesome
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again to you all for your interest. It is much appreciated.

I was excited and eager and jumped the gun a little bit with my previous time estimate. We are still a few days away from having our specs for Unity testing established. But all of you who have posted here are now on our testing list. We will be sending an email with testing requirements and a formal sign-up before the end of the week here.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    i would definitely love to give it a shot :)

unity 3.5 and 4 pro are ready to be used.
  • Farfarer
    If you're still after testers, I'll sign up. On Unity4 basic, though.
  • Jason Young
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I am interested. I've used Unity and Marmoset a fair bit and am definitely looking to help on anything that would improve Unity's art pipeline.

I've only got access to Unity basic at home, though, so that's what I'd be using. 3.5, 4, whatever you need. :)
  • clandestine
    Offline / Send Message
    clandestine polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys, i jumped on the unity bandwagon 2~3 years ago and consider myself on intermediate level > using 3.5 at the moment.
    Count me in if you need help.
  • TheMetaMorphe
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMetaMorphe polycounter lvl 12
    Would love to help too with Unity 4.
  • Mathew O
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    The idea of marmoset quality lighting and material in unity really excites me, do you think this'll be too stressful for an ipad? I'm really interested in trying this out at work :)
  • EarthQuake
    Mathew O wrote: »
    The idea of marmoset quality lighting and material in unity really excites me, do you think this'll be too stressful for an ipad? I'm really interested in trying this out at work :)

We don't have any hard performance numbers yet, hopefully we can get some good feedback about that from our beta testers.

I've been running it without issue on my I5 laptop with on-cpu video, not sure how that compares to an ipad.

I do have a timely sample for you to try out though:
    valenbarficon.jpg
  • TaylorAnimated
    I smell a Marmoset+Unity animation web player :D
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I'm definitely interested to test this out. I can test on pretty much every Unity version on PC, iOs or android.
  • tooparalyzed
    Offline / Send Message
    tooparalyzed polycounter lvl 10
    I'm also interested in this awesome combination! Working wih Unity since the first Version, so i'm pretty much excited to try this out.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Joe! This would be really neat to check out.
    I clicked yer demo link, but didn't see anything that really screamed "advanced marmo-lighting!" to me...
  • EarthQuake
    Hey Ryan, that little demo is just something silly one of our programmers whipped together as a valentines thing, I agree that it isn't a good test scene to really show off the power of the tool. Hopefully we can put together something that gives a better representation of what it is capable in the not so distance future. =D
  • snoodleking
    I'd love to test this out. I've been using Unity 4 (basic for now) for quite a while now!
  • Brendan
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    Posting this here to not spam 999,999 peoples' emails.

I know you're all working away nicely on your stuff, and you were interested in seeing some pictures using Marmoset IBL in Unity. Only complaints I have are the lack of interaction from realtime lights to the IBL components. I tried the "Hard Surface Shaders" and it seems like a directional light (for instance) will affect the shader in ways that aren't purely additive. The result is that any self-casting shadows appear weaker on the IBL object than they do with other shaders, because they don't appear to affect the lighting much at all (default Unity shaders kill specularity dead when it's in shadow, and of course the diffuse if going to be gone).

Shaders performed well on my hardware (i5 3570k, 660Ti), well enough that they could be used as a hero shader for realtime scenes.

Anyway, time for pics:

NVidia Hairball
    hairball.png
    Polygons: Lots (Unity broke it into 44 chunks of 65,000 polys each)
    Lighting Setup: IBL Diffuse + Spec, 1 x Vertex Directional (Sun) Light

Stanford Jade Dragon
    dragon.png
    Polygons: Lots (Unity broke it up to 16 chunks of 65,000 polys each)
    Lighting Setup: IBL Diffuse + Spec, 1 x Pixel Directional (Dominant) Light, 1 x Vertex Directional (Fill) Light

My Toyota TF110 Formula 1
    tf110_studio_ibl.png?w=900
    Polygons: 200,000
    Lighting Setup: IBL Diffuse + Spec, 2 x Directional (Fill) Lights

I'm also rolling my own anti-aliasing solution, which is why the edges seem nice. Performance takes a noticeable hit, but for beauty shots especially I don't mind.
  • monkeyscience
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyscience polycounter lvl 12
    That is one sexy hairball.

Regarding omni and directional lights: direct light compositing is strictly additive as you would expect, but IBL does tend to wash out shadows if you're not careful. It is intended to be used as the ambient lighting in your scene, and if the ambience is bright, the shadows won't be any darker. Since the beta, I've added exposure settings for the sky, diffuse, and specular IBL terms to adjust for this.

To match non-IBL materials to Marmoset ones, try adding ambience to your scene in Render Settings and match the color/brightness of what your skybox is providing. Marmoset shaders will ignore the scene ambient term for exactly this reason.

EDIT - If ambient color still affects IBL materials, my bad. I may have changed it post-beta, in which case: Coming Soon!
  • EvilAlienAlpha
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilAlienAlpha polycounter lvl 6
    I would be very interested in testing. I run a small dev studio 'Evil Aliens' and we currently work solely in Unity and are looking for a better way to present our high quality game assets for marketing etc.

I also work for a games education organisation that already recommends and uses Marmoset Toolbag. A Unity version would be a very useful product for our students to use in their portfolio.

There could be some benefit in having students with low to intermediate experience test it with the support of teachers (like myself) who are all very experienced in Unity.
  • c4cn013
    I'm interested,Marmoset toolbag is good for me . So I look forword to be a tester .
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    How is the interaction with lightmaps and lightprobes? The skydomes are HDR right? Can they be connected to beast to spit out IBL influenced lightmaps for static scene objects? If so, I think this will be the #1 Unity render addition from here on out.
  • monkeyscience
    Offline / Send Message
    Marmoset shaders use Beast light probes and lightmaps just fine. I'm still working on getting surfaces lit only by the sky to write *into* the probe/lightmap data.

Using HDR skydomes as GI input is an excellent idea and totally doable. It is actually possible already, you just have to add an .hdr filepath to the BeastSettings xml file. I'm going to figure out a way to make that process smooth and fit into the rest of the Skyshop workflow.
  • deolol
    Offline / Send Message
    deolol polycounter lvl 6
    I'm very much interested in testing this out!
  • MercurialForge
    Offline / Send Message
    MercurialForge polycounter lvl 11
    I would love to test this out. I have a healthy amount of dev experience in Unity 4. Own a copy of Unity4 pro and will be giving some talks at GDC on unity this year. Hit me up and I'll be happy to test.
  • artbyalex
    Offline / Send Message
    artbyalex polycounter lvl 6
    I would love to beta test as well. Been using Unity and Marmoset for the last 2 years professionally. Addition from the marmoset shaders in game would be fantastic on our future products
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    Marmoset shaders use Beast light probes and lightmaps just fine. I'm still working on getting surfaces lit only by the sky to write *into* the probe/lightmap data.

Using HDR skydomes as GI input is an excellent idea and totally doable. It is actually possible already, you just have to add an .hdr filepath to the BeastSettings xml file. I'm going to figure out a way to make that process smooth and fit into the rest of the Skyshop workflow.

:) I'm throwing money at the screen but nothing is happening yet!
  • EarthQuake
    I would love to test this out. I have a healthy amount of dev experience in Unity 4. Own a copy of Unity4 pro and will be giving some talks at GDC on unity this year. Hit me up and I'll be happy to test.

We will be at GDC wondering around (we don't have a booth) keep an eye out for the guys with the Marmoset shirts on, or come to the polycount meetup at Lefty's on Wednesday if you want to check out Skyshop.
  • monkeyscience
    Offline / Send Message
    beastly.jpg

Here's a shot of EQ's boss little vespa model lit by light probes and the Marmoset Unity shader. I've made a UI that modifies the Beast settings xml file and adds an HDR sky to its GI rendering.
  • wednesdays02
    Does support for Unity also mean that this version of Marmoset will run on Mac OS X?
  • EarthQuake
    Does support for Unity also mean that this version of Marmoset will run on Mac OS X?

Marmoset Skyshop is a plugin for Unity, and it should run on any platform that Unity runs on.

Marmoset Toolbag 2 will run on OSX though.
  • Bertmac
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    ""Marmoset Toolbag 2 will run on OSX though."";

Oef thats good news. finally no more bootcamp needed

And yes i can confirm it works perfectly on Mac
    they are just unity shaders so no problems there
    we finally found some time to test it out in our studio
  • JVaughan
    After seeing the web player in action I'm so stoked to see this coming out. Would love to know an ETA because I have a project that is going to eat these up.
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Not sure if this is where to ask, but when Marmoset 2 releases, will it be a separate release or will people who have a licence to Marmoset 1(.09) have access to 2? Any hints at what some of the new features might be? xD
  • ymt3d
    Offline / Send Message
    ymt3d polycounter lvl 12
    Skyshop Is it possible to have a complete shading in the Unity free Ver ?
    RealtimeShadow,HDR&Tonemapping,LightProbes...etc
  • monkeyscience
    Offline / Send Message
    ymt3d wrote: »
    Skyshop Is it possible to have a complete shading in the Unity free Ver ?
    RealtimeShadow,HDR&Tonemapping,LightProbes...etc

Skyshop holds nothing back in the free version. You'll get HDR cubemaps, camera exposure controls, the works. Unity however has some restrictions. I believe shadows don't come in the free version (yet) and not sure, but I think light probes are a Pro-only feature as well.

I hear Unity is bringing more and more pro features into free though. 4.2 is supposed to have free shadows and free mobile platforms o_O.
  • Farfarer
    I think light probes are a Free thing. Basically anything that requires render textures is Pro (shadows, image effects, real-time cubemaps, etc) and anything that can be pre-computed is in Free.
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I have been using the skyshop stuff for a while now and it is pretty excellent. It fills in a huge gap in the unity lighting functions.. Currently in unity there isn't a good way to use light probes with directional lightmaps (kills your normal maps and spec) so skyshop is a good way to integrate dynamic objects into light mapped scenes.
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there any information anywhere on the process of creating an hdr source image?

What was the process with which the supplied demo environments were shot? I've got a Canon DSLR that I'd like to try capturing some cool skies with.