Home Technical Talk

Expresso Texturing Tools - Photoshop Plugin

Replies

• Diargon345
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use photoshop cc 2015 (Tried also on cc 2014 - the problem is the same). OS - win 10 (I'm not a developer, but I don't think the problem is with my operating system). The problem only occurs when I try to load the texture from the layer. When I load from the file everything is fine. Tried only with diffuse map.
  • Diargon345
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the time of testing I used the version 2014. I updated photoshop. Now everything seems fine. Just have one more question. I'm interested in this plugin because in the description it was written that the 3d previewer can display changes in real time. But I don't see such changes. I need to press the refresh button texture. Actually this plugin is able to do this? If Yes, what should I do to see the changes in real time?
  • minifloppy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minifloppy polycounter lvl 4
    Cool! Glad to hear everything is working fine. :)
    Diargon345 wrote: »
    Actually this plugin is able to do this? If Yes, what should I do to see the changes in real time?

No, the plugin doesn't support updating the textures in realtime.
  • Diargon345
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minifloppy wrote: »
    No, the plugin doesn't support updating the textures in realtime.

It is a pity. It would be cool!
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    I just updated to the latest version of photoshop CC 2015 and I cant use expresso anymore.
    Did the most reason update break expresso's compatibility or am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: I talked to Francesco about this issue and he informed me that this is due to extension manager, so he linked me to this open source alternative to EM:

(make sure to remove Expresso with Extension manager before using this)
    http://zxpinstaller.com/

Using that worked! I now have Expresso up and running.
    Just posting this in case anyone else runs into this issue.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for posting that link Dylan! Very helpful!
  • lysaara
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lysaara polycounter lvl 9
    I hate to raise threads from the dead, but Expresso has stopped working for me recently - the button is there, but the panel has nothing in it - and I feel like I've lost a hand without it! I've tried reinstalling it using ZXP installer but the Expresso panel remains sad and blank. I'm not sure if it was a Photoshop update or what, but this is by far the best texture exporter I've tried and I'd be very sad to lose it. Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

(Update: I rolled back to 2015.0.0 from 2015.1.1 and Expresso works again. Hurray! But it would be nice to have an update to Expresso so I can use the latest version of PS...)
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Expresso needs to be updated for 2015.1.1 !
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Expresso needs to be updated for 2015.1.1 !
    Yup :)

Such a wonderful tool, it's completely integral to my workflow now.
  • paulmorph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your plugin make life easier. Add some donation section. I also waiting for update for lates release ps 2015! 
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Sorry for the bump, but this is such an awesome tool I had to come by and give you a thumbs up! Honestly wouldn't know what to do without this, ahah.
  • getNerdGoCode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    getNerdGoCode vertex
    lysaara said:
    I hate to raise threads from the dead, but Expresso has stopped working for me recently - the button is there, but the panel has nothing in it - and I feel like I've lost a hand without it! I've tried reinstalling it using ZXP installer but the Expresso panel remains sad and blank. I'm not sure if it was a Photoshop update or what, but this is by far the best texture exporter I've tried and I'd be very sad to lose it. Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

(Update: I rolled back to 2015.0.0 from 2015.1.1 and Expresso works again. Hurray! But it would be nice to have an update to Expresso so I can use the latest version of PS...)
    I am also having this exact same issue, the buttons of exporter and previewer are there as well as the panels, but they are completely empty, no buttons, dialogs or error messages. Can't seem to have an alternate method to keep going with what I am working on right now.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for expresso for Ps 2015.5 ?
  • Cl1nk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cl1nk polycounter lvl 6
    I guess the plugin is dead. MiniFloppy's profile shows his last active time was in October 2015. We either keep and old Ps version or lose use of this wonderful tool.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cl1nk said:
    I guess the plugin is dead. MiniFloppy's profile shows his last active time was in October 2015. We either keep and old Ps version or lose use of this wonderful tool.
    I agree, it is dead.  Many plugins for Photoshop became dead as of 2015.5.  I bought an extension a two years ago the company is being pricks as they are giving refunds to some but not others, currently having an issue with them.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    @CreativeSheep - Whats the plugin/is it a zxp?
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    i think it might be totally possible to repack the zxp and change the manifest - but i dont know if its uses any deprecated API which would be not so easy to fix. But im not sure how PS behaves with backward compatibility, so using CEP 5.0 (or whatever to not break the API) could work just fine. One would have to try ;)

yeah its sad the author didnt find the time to adjust the manifest - such a nice piece of software..
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    ^ this is totally accurate, the source for expresso is online on git and could be compiled with the correct manifest. 
    If its just a straight script and not a zxp without source you should be able to fix this issue locally. 
  • kritskiy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kritskiy polycounter lvl 10
    I've tried to start the panel with updated manifest in CC2015 but without much success. Panel starts, but it's empty. I guess there're some other things that require updating
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to classify the extension as extinct. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makes sense, too bad. The OP hasn't been back since October.
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    okay  I gave the github thing a go and after some minor issue it looks like its working fine in PS CC 2015.1.2

I did some quick tests with the debug version, and all worked for me, wasn't doing anything serious though..

For the time being I just uploaded a zxp build (which I did not test at all to be honest..) to my dropbox:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12430386/code/expresso_exporter_0.5.0.zxp

all credits go to the original author Francesco Camarlinghi / minifloppy ! Thanks again for this wonderful piece of work.
    a bit more documentation and infos can be found on the github page: https://github.com/fcamarlinghi/expresso

• CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I installed your extension in Photoshop 2015.5.1 and it didn't work.  There is no 2015.1.2.
  • fuzzzzzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuzzzzzz polycounter lvl 5
    sad  l'd like to think that it was possible to use it in combo with my zbrush toolset :/
    I will have a look at the extension just see what can be done
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    CreativeSheep  did you setup the ps remote server?
    "
    EDIT: I forgot to mention that for the plugin to work correctly, you'll need to enable Remote Connections in Photoshop preferences (with a password set to "password") or you will see an empty panel for the moment"
  • fuzzzzzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuzzzzzz polycounter lvl 5
    Still testing on my own:
    signed, packed, installed, everything went ok excepted the panels are all empty in ps, i guess i forget something
    i renamed the /CSInterface-7.0.js and edited the link from the index.html, ithought it went from the css files but, looks like i missing something else.
    also installing from ExMan doesn't works..
    But i don't use the version from Github, i just have unpacked the old zxp file, so might be that ..

• CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio said:
    @ CreativeSheep  did you setup the ps remote server?
    "EDIT: I forgot to mention that for the plugin to work correctly, you'll need to enable Remote Connections in Photoshop preferences (with a password set to "password") or you will see an empty panel for the moment"
    It's working except Expresso Preview did you get to work in Ps2015.5.1 ? Why the need for Remote Connections ?
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    the previewer is not implemented at the moment - it is one the roadmap though.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope you get the previewer to work soon.  Why the use of Remote Connections ?
  • Dominique_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dominique_ polycounter lvl 8
    Hiya, sorry to intrude with someone elses plugin, but maybe this helps some of you out?
    http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2478502#Comment_2478502 

It's called LazySave by @TooLzor
    Different UI but it helps out with the same thing, saving out textures! 
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    Makes sense, too bad. The OP hasn't been back since October.
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

This looks awesome. :(
  • mediochrea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mediochrea polycounter lvl 10
    Just a heads-up, there was some activity on the plugin's github page at the beginning of August, but nothing since then. I can sort of understand the author, I haven't touched my own plugin for like a year :(
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    kio said:
    okay  I gave the github thing a go and after some minor issue it looks like its working fine in PS CC 2015.1.2

I did some quick tests with the debug version, and all worked for me, wasn't doing anything serious though..

For the time being I just uploaded a zxp build (which I did not test at all to be honest..) to my dropbox:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12430386/code/expresso_exporter_0.5.0.zxp

all credits go to the original author Francesco Camarlinghi / minifloppy ! Thanks again for this wonderful piece of work.
    a bit more documentation and infos can be found on the github page: https://github.com/fcamarlinghi/expresso

I can confirm this works on PS CC 2015.5. The exporter was all I needed, thanks so much!
  • pho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pho polycounter lvl 11
    So which version of PS is best for stable, correctly working Expresso?
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any update regarding 2017 ?
  • faceless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    faceless polycounter lvl 2
    Anyone have the .ZXP for 0.4.3?   All the links are dead -- buddy is looking for it.  He is getting an error when trying to compile it via the author's GIT, hoping someone has it laying around?

Thanks in advance!
  • alekseypindrus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alekseypindrus polycounter lvl 10
    @faceless Can't find 0.4.3 but take 0.4.2 from official webpage  — Internet Archive.
  • Rendz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rendz polycounter lvl 6
    Is getting an error when trying to complete a build via the author`s GIT.
    Can someone build a new version for me?
    For photoshop cc2017
  • termi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    termi polycounter lvl 10
    hey just for anyone trying to get this to compile, i hit a couple of snags but im pretty sure i did what was needed

Assumptions: 
    you have node/ npm / git installed, you dont need git but it'd be easier then having to download and reference stuff externally

1. Create an empty folder which will become your espresso directory
    2. (from cmd prompt in root espresso directory ) git clone git://github.com/fcamarlinghi/expresso
    3. Fix errant space in package.json for at " sanitize-filename" * (around line 14)
    4. (from cmd prompt in root espresso directory ) npm install
    5. (from cmd prompt in root espresso directory ) npm install git://github.com/fcamarlinghi/cepy
    6. Create folder a folder named distrib in the root\scripts folder and create a new file called cepy.certificate.js (see below for contents)
    7. find file cepy.exporter.config.js file in root\scripts and change timestampURLto  'http://sha1timestamp.ws.symantec.com/sha1/timestamp' (as the one used by default is dead)
    8. (from cmd prompt in root espresso directory ) npm run exporter:release
    It compiles fine for me after jumping through all these hoops, but i cant get it to play nice, give it a try, heres a zxp link, i can remove it if there are issues with me posting it
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9w34dt83ihak56c/expresso_exporter_0.5.0.zxp?dl=0
  • Dominique_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dominique_ polycounter lvl 8
    Wow nice work! - I'll try it out later this week if I manage to find some time :)
  • termi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    termi polycounter lvl 10
    if you get it working lemme know, i wish it did for me
  • ARider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ARider polycounter lvl 3
    termi said:
    hey just for anyone trying to get this to compile, i hit a couple of snags but im pretty sure i did what was needed

Assumptions: 
    you have node/ npm / git installed, you dont need git but it'd be easier then having to download and reference stuff externally

1. Create an empty folder which will become your espresso directory
    2. (from cmd prompt in root espresso directory ) git clone git://github.com/fcamarlinghi/expresso
    3. Fix errant space in package.json for at " sanitize-filename" * (around line 14)
    4. (from cmd prompt in root espresso directory ) npm install
    5. (from cmd prompt in root espresso directory ) npm install git://github.com/fcamarlinghi/cepy
    6. Create folder a folder named distrib in the root\scripts folder and create a new file called cepy.certificate.js (see below for contents)
    7. find file cepy.exporter.config.js file in root\scripts and change timestampURLto  'http://sha1timestamp.ws.symantec.com/sha1/timestamp' (as the one used by default is dead)
    8. (from cmd prompt in root espresso directory ) npm run exporter:release
    It compiles fine for me after jumping through all these hoops, but i cant get it to play nice, give it a try, heres a zxp link, i can remove it if there are issues with me posting it
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9w34dt83ihak56c/expresso_exporter_0.5.0.zxp?dl=0
    hey, I could compile with success, but the panels in PS remain empty.

In point 6, what "owner" and "password" are the correct to use? Can't find information about.

thx!!
  • termi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    termi polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Arider, if i remember rightly it was details you specified in photoshop

sorry about the huge delay in responding to this, im pretty lazy with chasing this stuff up, speaking of lazy, i ended up saying fuck it and started using lazysave instead, while it doesnt do exactly the same thing the way i wanted, its fills the gap and the creators support is great.

you can find it here : https://gum.co/LazySave/
    <3 termi

• < ASH >
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    < ASH > polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys, I have been in touch with the plugin creator: he told me that he recently updated the pluging for Photoshop 2015 and above. ;)
    You can get the new version from his website (http://minifloppy.it/portfolio/expresso/) or directly from his Gumroad (https://gumroad.com/l/expresso-exporter).

Many thanks Francesco for this amazing plugin: I wouldn't be able to work without it ! :) 
  • minifloppy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey everyone, as Andrea pointed out above, I finally had some time to work on the plugin again. Sorry for the lack of updates.

I recently released an updated version (0.5) of the Exporter panel which you can download from here. On the same page you'll find instructions about how to install and run the plugin.

In case you wish to build the plugin from source, the Github repository has also been updated. The overall build process should be much more streamlined now:  i.e. no more need to pull "cepy" from Github since it is now on NPM, cleaner build steps outlined in the project readme, etc. Sorry if building and running the plugin from source has been such a pain.

The new version is compatible with Photoshop CC2015 to CC2018 and has some new features:

• Improved export capabilities:
      • Exporting sub-groups is now supported.
      • Exporting groups with transparent background is now supported.
      • Exporting documents with non power-of-two sizes is now supported.
    • New dropdown menu makes it easier to select the group you want to export by providing the ability to search for it by name (or using regular expressions). Should help when working with complex PSDs.
    • Slightly faster exports thanks to a new export engine. The panel now uses Photoshop Remote Server to connect to Photoshop instead of relying on a Generator plugin, which proved to be buggy and hard to maintain in the long run.
    • Updated UI themes to match the ones introduced in CC 2015.

This is a major rewrite of the old extension, so bugs should be expected. Please let me know if you run into any issue! Hope you find the plugin useful. :smile:

As a side note: the Previewer panel is on-hold for the moment. It was a fun experiment and I hope to come back to it in the future, but it always lacked too many features to be really useful.

• pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    Praise be, it's back from the dead! Finally I can upgrade to CC2018. Thanks for the effort mini, this makes my week.
  • pOgOstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pOgOstyle polycounter lvl 8
    ! Its awesome thank you so much!
  • minifloppy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick heads-up for anyone still on Photoshop CC 2015: version 0.5.1 of the Exporter is now available which should fix various issues preventing the extension from working.

It also contains minor UI fixes and improvements for other Photoshop versions as well. :)

• K-PAX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K-PAX polycounter lvl 7
    Quick heads-up for anyone still on Photoshop CC 2015: version 0.5.1 of the Exporter is now available which should fix various issues preventing the extension from working.

It also contains minor UI fixes and improvements for other Photoshop versions as well. :)

very useful script,we need keyboard shortcuts ! look forward it.
  • Asim7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asim7 polycounter lvl 8
    Why does the plugin need to remote connect to photoshop?

I've been using it for almost a year just fine, but it suddenly stopped working. Giving me this error.

Can't connect to Photoshop. Socket error: Error: connect ECONNREFUSED 127.0.0.1:49494.