Home Quixel Megascans

Anyone got Surface Painter

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Gordon Robb polycounter lvl 2
Has anyone here got Surface Painter as well as DDO? Is it worth having both if I already have Suite?

Whoops, I mean Substance Painter

Replies

• Ispheria
    Offline / Send Message
    Ispheria polycounter lvl 3
    Painter is a lot more worth it imo. I personally don't bother using ddo or photoshop anymore for texturing. These days for me it's NDO to Painter and Designer. DDO is slow, buggy, and requires photoshop to work. There's a lot of good videos on Substance Painter, you should definately check some of them out, especially those from Pipesfranco and Christophe Desse.
  • Martin_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin_H polycounter lvl 6
    Just download the substance painter trial version and see for yourself. If you want to do dirty and worn metal stuff I think DDO might get you results quicker if your bakes are spot on.
    I bought substance painter on sale in the hope that in the future they will add a "healing brush" kind of tool that allows to easily remove visible seems between UV islands. Unless quixel manages to fix that problem first ^^. I'm sure they are working on it.
  • Gordon Robb
    Offline / Send Message
    Gordon Robb polycounter lvl 2
    I needed to find ut quickly as was thinking of getting it in the flash sale. Couldn't gt to a PC to get the trial. He ho, thanks for the info. I'll stick with DDO just now. 1.9 sounds interesting.
  • Framedworld
    Offline / Send Message
    Framedworld polycounter lvl 6
    At our studio we are using both. I personally am not a fan of painter, but I see the potential. Right now its great to paint out any seaming issues or laying out some flat tones to work with ddo. however, there isn't an option right now that can produce the kind of effects that megascans and material fills does in that quick of time.
  • Martin_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin_H polycounter lvl 6
    Right now its great to paint out any seaming issues

Do you just use the brush tool for it or is there any smarter tool? I'm really missing a stamp brush or something like that.