Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Smoothing groups and hard edges are pretty much the same thing, just handled slightly differently.
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Fridock wrote: »
    I noticed, when i export in OBJ it doesn't save hard edges, so how do i keep the right smoothing when doing OBJ?
    Turn on "Export User Normals" in the softimage obj exporter :) The hard edges are saved as user normals on the object.
  • Fridock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks .Wiki thats what i was looking for
  • PolyGear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H wrote: »
    Thanks!
    And thanks ZacD for showing that technique. Very easy and awesome results :thumbup:

3ds max Can do ?
  • RabidRabit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RabidRabit polycounter lvl 9
    This technique is actually already saving me a ton of time on that Garand. High poly is looking just as good/if not better without the insane topology.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I can't get rid of the seam, what am I doing wrong? :(

PtQP8n3.png
  • Long Nange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long Nange polycounter lvl 7
    hi there. any tips about fixing that smoothing? (also,it's lowpoly)

sh2KMbcl.png

4ssZsNYl.png
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    @komaokc

Did you try looking at the extruded part front on? That's the only direction that it matters if the seam is visible (it probably will show in other directions).
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    komaokc wrote: »
    I can't get rid of the seam, what am I doing wrong? :(

PtQP8n3.png

how does the normalmap look when you bake it? and how does it then look when you apply the normalmap with some phong shading to your lowpoly?
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Haven't tried baking it, I was just trying out the technique. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong here? I could try baking it later if I have time.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    komaokc post a wireframe or try using meshes with more edge loops would be my first guess.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    It seems to work better the more segments I use.
    I guess maybe I'm just being too anal and it will probably work fine once it's baked and has a more realistic material on it?

64:

ya0Vhqcl.png

16:
    EP4Nr1fl.png

16 wires:

7bRuRr5l.png
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Do a test bake.
  • Wintersun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wintersun polycounter lvl 12
    you probably won't see it in the baked normal map.

Ok I've got a general question, recently my workflow have changed, I have never worked on a higher subd (turbosmoothed mesh) and I always tried to add more edge loops on the first division (and it killed me to do that without pinches), but now I don't, these days I can only carve and add details on higher subds, and I just make the general form in the first division, I don't add edge loops I let turbosmooth do that for me and I make the details there, kinda like zbrush but I do it in 3ds max. The pros of it is that I almost end up without any pinches, but the huge cons of it is that I can never go back If I forget to add something earlier and I usually end up with 300k or 400k polys for example just exterior of a car. You guys do that or not? are there any better ways?
  • Martin_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin_H polycounter lvl 6
    @Wintersun: I don't understand your described workflow, but I would answer your question with "I go for the highest amount of flexibility and editability that I can get in a reasonable way". Meaning if it becomes too much of a pain I'd settle for a less flexible solution, but when I can, I always go for something that is easily adapted to fit changing requirements. You'll notice my description is super generic, the reason is that I'd apply that principle for 3D, 2D, programming, music composition etc..
  • Wintersun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wintersun polycounter lvl 12
    @Martin_H: Okay the simplest way I can say that is, I never used to collapse a turbosmooth in the stack and work on the high res mesh to add details, I used to add edge loops even if sometimes it gave me pinches, but now I let the turbosmoothed make more geo and edge loops for me and then I collapse and add the details. "The collapsing" part never lets you go back if you forget to add something in the previous part.
    The general workflow you described makes sense tho.
  • Zoli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoli polycounter lvl 6
    Hello evereyone!
    Currently I'm struggleing with a shape in 3ds max. It's a curved shape with square holes in it. I tried million ways to solve it, but it's always pinchy.I watched tons of tutorials about this, but they built these kind of holes in cylinders or on flat surfaces and my shape isn't like that. If i create more polygons, the topology will be chaos and i won't be able to relax the surface properly. Can someone help me with this? I can feel it's such a basic thing, but i just can't figure it out. Here are some pictures of it(it's a side panel of a mig29)...hope i link it correctly.(i've never use imgur :) ) :poly124:
    gGdEOAO.jpg
    XPkgCZz.jpg
    3vw1HF0.jpg
    cg3xt0i.jpg
    VAane2j.jpg
  • reanimate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reanimate polycounter lvl 10
    This thread is a gold mine as always, just kinda too bad some pic in the early page are missing.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Zoli, looks like something isn't welded correctly on the edge. Select every vertice and apply Weld to fix this. To see other problems, find Ngons in your mesh and fix them if they cause problems. (In ribbon menu, there's selection tool that can select faces with more than 4 sides etc). On that edge in the last screenshot, you don't have proper control loops there, I see that you have a chamfer there and one control loop on the top, try adding one more control loop to the left side and get rid of the chamfer...
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Zoli wrote: »
    Hello evereyone!
    Currently I'm struggleing with a shape in 3ds max. It's a curved shape with square holes in it. I tried million ways to solve it, but it's always pinchy.I watched tons of tutorials about this, but they built these kind of holes in cylinders or on flat surfaces and my shape isn't like that. If i create more polygons, the topology will be chaos and i won't be able to relax the surface properly. Can someone help me with this? I can feel it's such a basic thing, but i just can't figure it out. Here are some pictures of it(it's a side panel of a mig29)...hope i link it correctly.(i've never use imgur :) ) :poly124:
    gGdEOAO.jpg

You need more edges to support the shape curvature, also, don't be fooled by the blueprints, this is how they actually look

IMG_5714.jpg
  • Zoli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoli polycounter lvl 6
    OK, so I'll look into the better topology, thank you guys....and thanks for the awsome reference picture, i couldn't find this kind of pic of its side. :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I would model those details as floaters, it'll be quicker and cleaner.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you look at other pictures, they are not even noticeable, something you can add to the texture (depends on what you want to do with the model anyway).

Here you can find more pictures:

http://www.kativ.eu/files/Ivo%20hobby/Walkaround/Mig-29/
  • cromadbomber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cromadbomber polycounter lvl 10
    Hello guys. So I bought a tutorial from Gumroad about creating a next gen tire. The only difference is that he is using max and I am using Maya for modeling. So here is my problem:
    EQsQTH4.png

Basically in tutorial he is using turbosmooth and smoothing groups to achieve that nice curvature so I was wondering how would I replicate that in Maya. I have been trying to solve this problem for about an hour but without a luck. Basically what I noticed in 3DS Max when he is adding divisions and when he does that each vertex gets averaged and when he applies smoothing algorithm(turbosmooth) he gets a nice curvature.

Just a quick edit:
    Here is a better screenshot to demonstrate this problem.
    Kc1g4Be.png

Basically my edges are straight while his are averaged (Like when applying clark-catmull but without actually changing the shape of the mesh)
  • Zoli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoli polycounter lvl 6
    @ZacD; @SonicBlue
    I'm just practicing modelling :) I want to model almost every panel, engine, cockpit.
    This is where I am now:
    eVRccqE.jpg
    oyoYjxv.jpg
    Thanks for the links! :)))
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Trust me, you'd get better results if you treated large smooth surfaces as one continuous sub-div mesh. If you really wanted to model every panel and bolt, I'd still suggest capturing the major shapes and curves with a single mesh, and then modeling in the detail on top of the subdiv model, using it as a guide.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys. So I bought a tutorial from Gumroad about creating a next gen tire. The only difference is that he is using max and I am using Maya for modeling. So here is my problem:

Basically in tutorial he is using turbosmooth and smoothing groups to achieve that nice curvature so I was wondering how would I replicate that in Maya. I have been trying to solve this problem for about an hour but without a luck. Basically what I noticed in 3DS Max when he is adding divisions and when he does that each vertex gets averaged and when he applies smoothing algorithm(turbosmooth) he gets a nice curvature.

Just a quick edit:
    Here is a better screenshot to demonstrate this problem.
    Kc1g4Be.png

Basically my edges are straight while his are averaged (Like when applying clark-catmull but without actually changing the shape of the mesh)

Doesn't Maya uses Catmull-Clark too? When you press 3, you can preview it, what you're using is a normal subdivision of the mesh (in the sense that your multiplying the number of edges only, keeping the structure shape), and that results is not really what you want.

If understood right, he's using a function of 3ds Max that let you separate portions of the mesh from the subdivision algorithm, so that you get hard edges in the corners.

Don't know if you'll get the same results, but you can try with edge creasing:
    http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/Maya/files/Editing-polygons-Crease-polygonal-edges-and-vertices-htm.html
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uhm skinwrap is doing something entirely different
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Shinigami wrote: »
    so im trying to get skinwrap work for me. How does that fucker work? i did try to play around with blend and stuff

Wgig6pU.png

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2206821#post2206821

It's not quite as simple blending on top of a 90 degree angle, but it's the same idea. Create floating geo loops that match the intersection, and make it blend with the meshes.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2206821#post2206821

It's not quite as simple blending on top of a 90 degree angle, but it's the same idea. Create floating geo loops that match the intersection, and make it blend with the meshes.

I think you misquoted me, look at the original post I quoted :D

From what I've understood he meant something like this:

kxst7bw.png

I've added a bevel to demonstrate that you don't need any support edges

Base geometry:

TlQ80So.png

SubD wires

G07Ycoh.png

SubD Weights

86CxrGg.png
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah, my bad, meant to quote Shinigami.
  • cromadbomber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cromadbomber polycounter lvl 10
    So eventually I modeled this thing in 3DS Max. But thank you for your help guys. I think this is impossible to do in Maya since you can get this kind of results by only use smoothing groups in Turbosmooth.

Anyways here is the image:
    dncfY8P.png

As you can see edges are now properly curved to form a circle shape.
    i9o7xmn.jpg
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So eventually I modeled this thing in 3DS Max. But thank you for your help guys. I think this is impossible to do in Maya since you can get this kind of results by only use smoothing groups in Turbosmooth.

Anyways here is the image:

As you can see edges are now properly curved to form a circle shape.
    i9o7xmn.jpg

Now that you posted this picture, your first post is more clear on what result you wanted to achieve.

The technique is the same I showed in my previous post, example:

qU0YnVW.png

ufLGQnq.png

Supporting edges could be added afterwards to keep the shape in place better when you'll apply ZBrush subdivisions.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    I was at the RAF Museum the other day and I thought about this thread :) well worth a visit if you are in London, its free, its huge -loads of hangers and each one has a different category, Bombers, Choppers, World War I & II plans and a hanger full modern Jets like the F35 (which the paint felt like velvet?)

I will try and get back there soon with the Cannon 5D, I was with family so only had my phone handy, feel free to have these as ref if its any help, loads more in this Dropbox

20141231_145537.jpg

20141231_145552.jpg

20141231_131237.jpg

20141231_143957.jpg

20141231_145854.jpg

06.jpg
  • Luka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luka polycounter lvl 5
    [IMG]http://gamerfitnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/MMlg_zps270b1c55.jpg[ Im trying to make the majoras mask from zelda. However i dont know how to approach it Heres what i tried[/img][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/UHpzJ8o.png[ creating quick cage for basic form[/img]RL0zGTX.png[[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/yz5LBIb.png[/I finally i tried to extrude the shapes. Previously i made cuts by hand. However this method feels just wrong and just messy. To hard to work with it. If i look @cordell felix's, his is much cleaner and nicer to look at. Any help is appreciated[/img]2rnzi37.jpg]ps Where the hell is perna? I miss him soo much!!!
    Id use splines and symmetry for this as much as possible, define the splines before even having the heart, and then moving on from there :)
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have to build the "heart" out of those extruded shapes, this mean that you first make them tracing the reference, then, with the edges you got, you make the rest of the mask.

With your method you're pretending that the topology will follow another shape just because you made some cuts.
  • Dasha89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SOS! Im modeling head for the first time and i can`t line up my model to background pictures I placed. My head is up side down according what program sees, the floor is on the top of the head, what to do,please help. Sorry, i didnt know where to write this question and randomely posted in here :(
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Dasha89 wrote: »
    SOS! Im modeling head for the first time and i can`t line up my model to background pictures I placed. My head is up side down according what program sees, the floor is on the top of the head, what to do,please help. Sorry, i didnt know where to write this question and randomely posted in here :(

Just make a new thread. Post what program you are using and a screenshot of your issue. And any other relevant information you can think of.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He means the whole front part of the mask, so that you can project it, already made and the shrink wrap will bend it for you, you need a proxy shape though.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    instead of projecting over it afterbmodelling you can also retopo on top of your proxy mesh
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    instead of projecting over it afterbmodelling you can also retopo on top of your proxy mesh

Exactly

Gq9rBmK.png
    wKcTRN9.png
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Thing Is i expect conform to give me loads of bugs doing it. Im really breaking my head over his model. How did he do it? I dont think he used shrinkwrap. Its too even and clean for that.

sonicblue just showed you, don't shrinkwrap, retopo on top of your proxy mesh
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Is there a way to fix a highpoly object that starts to get some warping in the smooth curvature due to added edge loops? 3ds max

Example: I had a curved shape, had to subdivied and crushed it down as I needed to add lots of cut details onto the curved shape. Now due to moving/adding some edges a bit, areas that used to be nice and smooth now have a few lumps/distortions.

I would like to be able to grab the verts and kinda move them so they line up with the smooth faces of the old mesh. How would I go about doing this in 3ds max 2012?
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Autocon wrote: »
    I would like to be able to grab the verts and kinda move them so they line up with the smooth faces of the old mesh. How would I go about doing this in 3ds max 2012?

Was the conform brush in 2012? http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/3DSMax/files/GUID-96452030-B2E8-404A-AF0E-4EB70EB44EE6-htm.html

Still probably annoying as you'll have to even out the density of your new segments to get the same average as your original mesh. The relax brush might help.

Workflow wise perhaps get the basic curves you want with the fewest points possible > subdivide to get the density for your secondary details > collapse > model those details > should be done. Easier to put the fine details onto a high density mesh after the primary shapes are approved etc.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    kary wrote: »
    Was the conform brush in 2012? http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/3DSMax/files/GUID-96452030-B2E8-404A-AF0E-4EB70EB44EE6-htm.html

Still probably annoying as you'll have to even out the density of your new segments to get the same average as your original mesh. The relax brush might help.

Workflow wise perhaps get the basic curves you want with the fewest points possible > subdivide to get the density for your secondary details > collapse > model those details > should be done. Easier to put the fine details onto a high density mesh after the primary shapes are approved etc.

Conform Brush did the trick! Thanks :)
  • XAavBp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could someone give me a hint on how to model this with a topology that makes some kind of sense ? I've tried for 2 days but can't figure it.

Hangar_Small10_0032_zps5521e02b.jpg

chim_02_zps250b5682.png
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need better references, anyway:

dRnWmKO.png

I haven't took in consideration the panels size, but something like this should work.
  • XAavBp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks i'll look into this yeah ref have been kind of scarse for this project and most of them are contradictory
  • Luka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luka polycounter lvl 5
    Guys i have encountered a really weird problem... tried reseting smoothing groups and checked for double edges... but i see no reason why these edges arent smoothing...

Any ideas? (some of them seem to be on UV edges, but not all of them. and other UV edges are ok)

ANGYGhF.jpg

Thank you
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unwelded verts maybe?