Home Technical Talk

Questions about modularity. How much to use and when, etc.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
Hi guys.

Just got a few questions about modularity. I'm using ue4 at the moment, but I guess this applies to any engine.

So using this as an example. Its still early and rough, but its enough for this:

xQYyNnw.jpg

How would you approach it when working modular? I originally had the floor and walls all made up of 500 x 500 unreal unit sized pieces. That gave me a lot of issues with lighting and I was told to the entire floor as one piece rather than do it modular. Same for the walls. I saw this advice given on the UE4 forums by Epic staff as well.

Is this a normal practice? I'm just doing this for my folio, but in a real studio setting would this approach not work at all?

I'm not the best at explaining this I don't think. I think what I'm trying to ask is: am i doing this right and how modular do you go?

thanks.

Replies

• JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    That gave me a lot of issues with lighting and I was told to the entire floor as one piece rather than do it modular. Same for the walls. I saw this advice given on the UE4 forums by Epic staff as well.

(How could that cause lighting issues?!)

I can't say for sure, but I think it is just a small trade-off in performance for not being able to use vertex colors (for shading, material transitions...and possibly even animations).
    Is this a normal practice? I'm just doing this for my folio, but in a real studio setting would this approach not work at all?

I guess everything that works is normal practice. If you had issues in one way and not the other would you not just because you are in studio?
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (How could that cause lighting issues?!)

On the UE4 forums it came up a few times and one of the epic devs said it was something they were working on and that they recommend you put another static mesh at the seams to hide the issue. That doesn't really work in all cases though.
    I guess everything that works is normal practice. If you had issues in one way and not the other would you not just because you are in studio?

Yeah I guess the studio part doesn't matter. I was more just wondering how people approach different environments in regards to modularity.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anybody else got any thoughts on this?