Home Dota 2

Marmoset Toolbag 2.03 with DOTA 2 shader support is officially out

Here it is folks, the 2.03 update to Marmoset Toolbag 2, adding DOTA 2 shader support along with a few other features and bug fixes.

http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag - download the trial there or launch the app to get the auto-update.

Heres a quick video rundown as well: http://vimeo.com/87235066

Note: Some stuff has been added since this video was recorded, like direct VMT file loading.

Feel free to post any questions, thoughts, feedback, and work that you guys create with this here. Feedback etc can also be posted in the main thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128766

Replies

• Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    IT'S UPGRADE TIME
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Thank you very much for this.
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome.

Thank you!
  • MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1383941737835.jpg

Now I have to buy this.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    ^ hhahaa this!

Nice work! thanks again Marmo guys!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If anyone has an issue with the DOTA 2 preset not showing up in the preset list after doing an auto-update, try an uninstall and install fresh with the file on the site here: http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/store
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    I was just about to mention that issue. Thanks for addressing it so quickly.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    EQ!!! Thank you so much, very very awesome!!!
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Amazing work, glad to support Marmoset from 1.0. Just in time for finishing a new set too.
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you! Works perfect.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    Aaaaand purchased.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    yeah i was on the fence for mt2, mostly cause of funds, but this definitely sold me. Thanks again for this.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Oh yeaaah! I've been meaning to upgrade for a while and this tipped me over the edge. I can't wait for the .vmt importing. Thanks!
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    AWESOME!
    I think if there is a radiant/dire 360 background image it will be much better.
    P.S. We should tell valve to include VMT files in the workshop files.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Buying upgrade today!
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, I've just downloaded the trial of this and I'm having some issues with the vmt codes. They all seem to be way off. This is my Wraith King Hood, set to the settings from the vmt file. Alsoi the colour codes in the vmt's do not seem to be in a format that can be input to Marmoset.

ypmx4UO.jpg

As you can see, the gemstone is fully white and the specular appears to be quite a lot higher than it should be.

I'm sure it';s more than likely I have just done something wrong somewhere but if you guys could shed some light that would be great.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i think u can turn the specular down if u pull the specular bar down
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Shock wrote: »
    i think u can turn the specular down if u pull the specular bar down

Of course, but isn't the idea to be able to use the ingame settings to have it accurately appear as it does ingame?
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    Did you check the VMT for the head slot or the hero?
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Nannou wrote: »
    Did you check the VMT for the head slot or the hero?

Yes, the VMT is there next to the Marmoset screenshot.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Looking great, can't wait to try it out !!
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    MdK wrote: »
    Yes, the VMT is there next to the Marmoset screenshot.

I mean which VMT do you get the numbers from? Looks like you use wraith_king_shape.vmt, and not wraith_king.vtm. The numbers are different. Also the lights affect the shading, so you might want to try with different settings.
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    Now, where did I put my wallet..?
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Nannou wrote: »
    I mean which VMT do you get the numbers from? Looks like you use wraith_king_shape.vmt, and not wraith_king.vtm. The numbers are different. Also the lights affect the shading, so you might want to try with different settings.

I used wraith_king_helmet.vmt, which has the exact same specular exponent, sepcular scale and rimlight scale as wraith_king.vmt

Still, this doesn't explain why the colour codes are in the format "[1 1 1]" or similar. Without knowing the format of the colour codes, it will not have the same rimlight and specular colours as ingame and they will default to white.

Don't get me wrong though this is an amazing tool and it's definitely very open to customization for promo pictures etc.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    just convert the codes to 0-255 scale. If the number is over one, compare them as a whole. Some wraith King stuff is listed as [ 1 4 1 ] which coverts to 65,255,65 and gives you that nice green hue he uses.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    praetus wrote: »
    just convert the codes to 0-255 scale. If the number is over one, compare them as a whole. Some wraith King stuff is listed as [ 1 4 1 ] which coverts to 65,255,65 and gives you that nice green hue he uses.

aaaahhhh I see, I knew we just needed someone who would be able to decipher it! Thanks Praetus!

So what would [1 .8 .8] be?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    [255,204,204]

Just hit the numbers on a calculator. 255*.8=204. This works well for numbers under a value of 1 or floating point stuff. If the values are over 1 (as in the case with [1 4 1]) use something like this. 255/4=63.75 which I rounded to 64 (when I put it into marmoset it put it as 65, though I don't know why. It's close enough, anyways.) I took this number and multiplied it against the other values. In this case they were both 1 so it was easy.

If the numbers were say [ 1 4 3] as an example I would say 255/4 (as it is the highest number)=63.75. 63.75 * 1 = 63.75. In that vein 63.75 * 3 = 191.25 which I would round to an even 190 for ease. Your input would be [65 255 190].

At least this is what I would do. Who knows I could be wrong. Earthquake, can you verify this?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've just downloaded the trial of this and I'm having some issues with the vmt codes. They all seem to be way off. This is my Wraith King Hood, set to the settings from the vmt file. Alsoi the colour codes in the vmt's do not seem to be in a format that can be input to Marmoset.

ypmx4UO.jpg

As you can see, the gemstone is fully white and the specular appears to be quite a lot higher than it should be.

I'm sure it';s more than likely I have just done something wrong somewhere but if you guys could shed some light that would be great.

Thanks for a the feedback, a few things:

A. Your specular color setting in the VMT file is commented out (//) so that will not load, if you remove the comments that should come through.
    B. Can you post the same model in game or in the valve model viewer? Its hard to really tell if the settings are correct or not without some frame of reference.
    C. A specular multiply of 19 is a very high value, so its not particularly surprising that the reflection appears very bright. Is this based off of an existing character? If so, how does that character appear with it's default content loaded?
    D. It looks like the rim light color isn't coming through, but it should, can you get me a copy of this content (the VMT file and all the textures) so we can test the loading on our end?

praetus' math for converting basic spec color values like [1 0.8 0.8] is correct.

For values like [1 4 1] its more complex as this is actually an HDR color value and hdr values can't be entered directly into the color picker. Here's an in-depth explanation on the conversion from Jeff.
    Jeff Russell: so, if you have the case as we do many times in dota land that you have a color (RGB) and a scale (X), then if RGB comes in as hdr i adjust it by simply finding the biggest of R,G,B and dividing that number into the RGB values, then multiplying the scale by that number as well to preserve brightness
    Jeff Russell: so for example:
    Jeff Russell: RGB = 1 2 3, scale = 4
    Jeff Russell: becomes
    Jeff Russell: RGB = .333 .666 1.0, scale = 12
    Jeff Russell: this however should be automatic in the loading process, unless there's a bug

Hope this helps.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Damn this is awesome! Time to update :D
  • MichaelF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MichaelF polycounter lvl 11
    This is sick! i don't have any Dota2 stuff done, but i have a old project using Dota2 shader, which i tried in tb2:
    ToolbagRender.png
    (hope the picture works)
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Whelp, I'm no longer on the fence.

Bought.

Fantastic job guys.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    looks like the alpha transparency feature is not working correct

alphacheck.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock wrote: »
    looks like the alpha transparency feature is not working correct

alphacheck.jpg

So two things:
    First off, you need to add a transparency type to the transparency module, you probably want cutout in this case. Click the dropdown on the right corner to pick the type.

Secondly, it looks like you have "Alpha from normal map" checked, which means the shader pulls the alpha out of the normal map alpha. Turn that off if you want to use the diffuse alpha.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Earthquake - I've just grabbed the latest update and am being really dumb.

You mention that the newest version has direct .VMT loading but I can't find where to do this anywhere, and it's not covered in the tutorial/ overview video. Where's it hidden?
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    FAT_CAP wrote: »
    Hey Earthquake - I've just grabbed the latest update and am being really dumb.

You mention that the newest version has direct .VMT loading but I can't find where to do this anywhere, and it's not covered in the tutorial/ overview video. Where's it hidden?

this was just answered for me. if you click the dropdown menu where you select the dota 2 template, hit import and you can load it there.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    LRoy wrote: »
    this was just answered for me. if you click the dropdown menu where you select the dota 2 template, hit import and you can load it there.

Ah - yep your right. Thanks for the pointer - I'd never have found it looking there :)
  • bpgoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for this.

Awesome :)
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome :)

Any plans for supporting animation? Quite important for Dota presentations, especially couriers.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    so I'm probably really dumb, I know sRGB is good for Albedo, but, not for normal map? I don't really understand it.

Anyway, my question is, what about mask 1 and 2? should they have sRGB ticked? I feel like a complete idiot for not being able to tell, but... the results aren't obvious. In the meantime I'll just do what happens to look better at the time, but it would be cool to know what's accurate.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @bounchfx

Here's a post from EarthQuake on the Marmoset 2 thread:
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    sRGB color space = gamma space
    sRGB off = linear space

Normal maps should always be linear space, and gloss/roughness maps tend to be linear space as well. So these both default to linear space.
    Diffuse/albedo and specular maps tend to be sRGB/gamma space, so they default to sRGB, but may be linear space depending on your exact workflow, which is why it is an optional per-texture setting.

Not sure about the masks. I'd love to hear some more info about them.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah ... If anything, I'd say that the Dota-specific shader should probably not have any options at all when it comes to the color space of input maps. It should just accept input maps "just like the game", so to speak...
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    pior wrote: »
    Yeah ... If anything, I'd say that the Dota-specific shader should probably not have any options at all when it comes to the color space of input maps. It should just accept input maps "just like the game", so to speak...

Agreed. Great idea.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Looking preety accurate to me
    7LrTr.jpg
    Im just missing the intensity of the rimlight, maybe is an option that i didnt find yet. here is the same render with the green channed of the mask 2 turned off on marmoset
    7LrVP.jpg

also the rimlight is a little blue in dota, here is the blue version with a little less brightness on the hdri (because puush messes a little with the colors)
    7Ls2l.jpg

Gotta say that i wasnt expecting that great result with that small time. amazing work guys
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Nice comparisons Tvidotto! What sky were you using on Marmoset for the shots?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    belkun wrote: »
    Nice comparisons Tvidotto! What sky were you using on Marmoset for the shots?

i think it was the one with a road

also started playing a little more with the render. the option to use occlusion on the dota shader is great, you guys have no idea how i wanted that on SFM =]

I made some changes on photoshop but not much, also the feature of save and open the file is great. everything worked pretty fast

IiWx6Dp.jpg
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    So, maybe I'm missing something, but I'm getting hard edges on UV seams when my normals in Maya are all soft... any ideas ?
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    @spudnik. I had that as well, You'll have to play with flipping the green channel option box in marmoset. Also try .obj, instead of .fbx. Also check your normal export options when you do export that obj. Make sure normals is on.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Well now I need to start buying this for sure!