Home Dota 2

Marmoset Toolbag 2.03 with DOTA 2 shader support is officially out

Replies

• Andaya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all,

I know these will be stupid questions for most of you, but I am far from being up to date when it´s time to talk about realtime tools. I have tons of doubts I try to solve using polycount wiki or watching useful threads, but in this case this program is totally unknown to me, so I need to know whats the main utility of using Marmoset toolbag...It is "only" a realtime renderer?, It is the best way to test your models rather than using the appropriate engine for which the content was created?,Which are the main utilities that Toolbag offers when referring to a real time workflow?

Thanks in advance.
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Marmoset toolbag is widely used to get mealtime renders of art for presentation. (great for portfolios and the like). It has recently had these updates to support a dota 2 like shader so that presentation shots can be made more marketing material.
  • Andaya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne wrote: »
    Marmoset toolbag is widely used to get mealtime renders of art for presentation. (great for portfolios and the like). It has recently had these updates to support a dota 2 like shader so that presentation shots can be made more marketing material.

Hey Reyne, thanks for your quick response!

As I expected it´s a realtime rendered for portfolio art presentations. But I am totally intrigued why people prefer Toolbag for that purpose instead of using their favorite engine.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Andaya wrote: »
    Hey Reyne, thanks for your quick response!

As I expected it´s a realtime rendered for portfolio art presentations. But I am totally intrigued why people prefer Toolbag for that purpose instead of using their favorite engine.

Because marmoset produces really high quality images and turntables with good lighting and anti-aliasing instantly, all without having to set up and import it into an engine. It offers important effects like depth of field as well, good implementations of which game engines don't typically offer. The difference between marmoset and how most models look in-game is clear as night and day.

There are of course others who prefer to use source filmmaker, Xoliulshader, the 3ds max/maya viewport Dota 2 shaders etc for presentation shots as well.
  • Andaya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Snowstorm, You have clarified all my doubts
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    I'm getting an odd geometry issue whenever I import my mesh with texture and normal map on it into Marmoset. I was wondering if another Marmoset user can fill me in on what might be happening here?
    ar4eehU.jpg
    The black lines that I've drawn in here are there to signify where the texture gets mirrored. As you can see to the left of the texture mirror I'm getting a weird sort of geometry split that I can't really explain... I've checked my smoothing groups and it's all the same grouping so there shouldn't be any sort of split like that. No other programs show that geometry issue besides Marmoset so that leads me to believe it is some sort of weird lighting/geometry problem in Marmoset itself. Anyone experience this before or have any recommendations on what I could try to get rid of it?
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito polycounter lvl 7
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito wrote: »
    darkkyo- This should fix your problem

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51088

Hmm... doesn't this only apply if the seam itself has lighting problems? I would try this if my problem was odd lighting on the seam itself, but what you're seeing here is a weird issue thats only happening way to the left of my mirrored seams...
    Edit:
    NCO0FpY.jpg
    TDUh5OY.jpg
    For reference these are the same parts when I upload them to p3d(top)... Those funky lighting issues aren't present on that one, leading me to think its a marmoset issue... I think what confuses me most about the marmoset shots(bottom) is why it only happens on one side of the mirror and not the other.
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito polycounter lvl 7
    darkkyo - I had the same problem with marmoset. I followed the tutorial I linked. Offset the UV's in 1/0 space and baked the maps with the entire mirrored model welded. Problem was then solved only after I did the gradient trick. I've always been a firm believer of trying things to see if the work.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito wrote: »
    darkkyo - I had the same problem with marmoset. I followed the tutorial I linked. Offset the UV's in 1/0 space and baked the maps with the entire mirrored model welded. Problem was then solved only after I did the gradient trick. I've always been a firm believer of trying things to see if the work.

I was definitely going to try it just out of desperation given enough time; I also end up trying everything I can when I run into issues like these.

All I can say is thanks so much for your quick replies, your advice, and the tutorial you linked to!! Can't tell you how much I appreciate it all. I'll reply again when I get a chance to try your solution :)
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    u can also try to use fbx instead of obj mesh
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Try to select the mesh on the scene outliner thingy on the left, click on the arrows on the right of Tangent Space and change it. Whenever I get weird normals like that even though the map is fine, changing around the mesh Tangent Space usually fix it.

Here's a picture:

CQIhDBm.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi EQ - just wanted to mention that I am running into a very similar issue to the one highlighted earlier by Mdk :
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2012772&postcount=31

The scenario is very similar : a VMT which has a very high Specularscale of 15, and Specularcolor commented out :

$SPECULAR_BLOOM_SCALE 0
    $SPECULAREXPONENT 80
    $SPECULARSCALE 15
    // $SPECULARCOLOR "[0.7 0.9 1]"
    $RIMLIGHTCOLOR "[0.9 0.9 0.2]"

And similarly to the example posted by Mdk, the model shows up with a strong sheen.

specularscale_zps88af30bc.jpg~original

However, if set Specularscale to 1 instead of 15, I am getting visually pleasing results, similar to the way the model is supposed to look like in game.

That makes me think that *maybe* the Dota engine behaves very specifically when a specular color value is being commented out : it might simply revert to Specularscale = 1, and Specularcolor = white. Now of course this is just a guess on my end but I hope this helps !

Here is a zip with the model, TGAs and VMT :
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3tXoYtBEtrTdWlzZ0cxZFdLTU0/edit?usp=sharing
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »
    Try to select the mesh on the scene outliner thingy on the left, click on the arrows on the right of Tangent Space and change it. Whenever I get weird normals like that even though the map is fine, changing around the mesh Tangent Space usually fix it.

Here's a picture:

CQIhDBm.jpg
    Wow, this worked like a charm!! That'a awesome, thanks! The question that remains is.. is this a marmoset-only issue? Like, this tangent space issue won't happen once my model is uploaded in the importer.. right?
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Yup, it's only on Marmoset. At least when this happens on my end, everything works fine on Maya and ingame.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    I don't even enter the specular scale and rimlight scale values
    I just adjust it until it looks good for the shot.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt : yeah I used to do that too ... but then some characters work beautifully well when loading their VMT file using the built-in Marmoset material importer, and that really seems to be the safest way of texturing things accurately. Everything shows up properly instantly - proper values, and even proper textures loading automatically if the TGAs are placed in the same folder as the imported VMT.

So it's a bit of a bummer that it doesn't work with some heroes ... especially as it seems to be because of some weird VMT exploit coming from the Valve artists commenting out their own values :)
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Also posted it in the main thread, but since the 2.04 update I got a problem with the backgrounds:

I can't find the possibility to change the background to one single color, without changing the sky light preferences. normally it was under Render and there was a checkbox use background color, but now it's gone :s

Also contacted the support, but waiting for an answer, I thought maybe someone here had the same issues.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andy : the option is still here, but has been relocated to the new sky "style" options.
    (had the same issue too :))
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Any idea what's causing this? When I pull the camera away from the model, the shadows are cast appropriately, but the closer I get, the more artifacts appear and the cast shadow gets weird.

qMZU6IS.jpg
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    You can try messing with some light properties like Contact Refinement, Attenuation and Size/Softness, also High-Res Shadows on the Render tab. It's not likely, but maybe it's something to do with DoF, since it only happens when you move the camera? Other than that, you can't expect super accurate shadows on a lowpoly mesh anyway.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    pior wrote: »
    Andy : the option is still here, but has been relocated to the new sky "style" options.
    (had the same issue too :))

Thanks! Didn't realize there was a top down menu to select it..
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    I'm sorry how is it possible to make Orthographic projection in toolbag?
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Reza wrote: »
    I'm sorry how is it possible to make Orthographic projection in toolbag?

Turn down the FOV on camera settings. I think you can go as low as 0.01 before you start getting some weird bugs, but I usually just go down to 5. Be careful, because you will have to zoom out a lot while doing this.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    belkun wrote: »
    Turn down the FOV on camera settings. I think you can go as low as 0.01 before you start getting some weird bugs, but I usually just go down to 5. Be careful, because you will have to zoom out a lot while doing this.

I've tried that but when I zoom out, then FOV goes up again :(
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not sure which version of 2.0 you are using but I know in some of the older ones, around 2.03 or so that scrolling with the mouse wheel actually increased your field of view rather than just physically moving the camera back. 2.06 doesn't have this anymore and I think it was mentioned in one of their more recent videos. To do that now you have to hold CTRL and Scroll with the mousewheel.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    I see, yeah mine's 2.04
    Time to update then :D
  • Ifurzzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ifurzzar null
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    Looking preety accurate to me
    7LrTr.jpg
    Im just missing the intensity of the rimlight, maybe is an option that i didnt find yet. here is the same render with the green channed of the mask 2 turned off on marmoset
    7LrVP.jpg

also the rimlight is a little blue in dota, here is the blue version with a little less brightness on the hdri (because puush messes a little with the colors)
    7Ls2l.jpg

Gotta say that i wasnt expecting that great result with that small time. amazing work guys

Hi guys, this thread seems pretty old, I am not sure if any one still look at it, but this mystery is still worth clarifying. There is a thing called model_combiner in dota2, which will change component's vmt settings to the main body's. in this case I believe the rimlight of Spirit of Anger is changed to the main body's rimlight color.For more details pls refer to this thread I posted:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2268231&posted=1#post2268231
    and courtesies to BlueFlytrap for clarifying many mysteries of the vmt file.