• killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    sweet lizard dude, Blaizer. add some thorns on his jawline smile.gif
    MoP, lets try make babies.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    yeah, the body looks very cool smile.gif, nice detail Mop.

Hey Renaud, thanks a lot. Yes, the render is from modo, like all the work of modelling. Its renderer is quite simple and really fast. Don't know is you have readed the previos pages where i posted the head. Here you can see the renderer preview in action plus the timelapse i commented http://www.blog.whiteblaizer.com/?p=106#more-106
  • Sayanora
    Offline / Send Message
    Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
    Just a small street scene that I'm working on.

city_wall.jpg
  • gavku
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Blazier, Mop, nice stuff guys.....
  • larolaro
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Rob I want to have your babies
  • ThatDon
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    little RogG inspired mech model. hopefully find time to texture it.

wip1ca6.jpg
  • boomz
    Offline / Send Message
    boomz polycounter lvl 9
    RobG - Sweet paint! (i think its a paint) I love the washed style you have there
    Spitty - looks very accurate.
    Blaizer - looking kickass. Looks like I need to do some messing around with modo.
    MoP - Wow. I think the cloth lays pretty well around the mid-section, all over actually seems to make good sense. The outfit is fairly similar to that of a cheerleader, you could look at some photos of cheerleaders if you can find ones with more conservative uniforms (that have a mid-section in them). She seems to have very wide hips in proportion to her shoulders/waist... could be the angle, could be just me, or maybe she's just draggin' a wagon? smile.gif I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Just working on some modeling/texturing for environmental art portfolio. It is mostly hand painted, with a few photosource layovers. Looking to finish this one up very quickly (...like an all day burst tomorrow, while I'm off my shitty night job). Any last minute suggestions?
    pc-crit-1.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
  • TheMadArtist
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    A character from one of my favorite books. Hard to find reference of a malamute wearing a Prussian military outfit with prosthetic hands. Lots of work to be done. Major cool points to anyone that knows where this is from btw.

Klaue_wip_full.jpg
  • commander_keen
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    boomz, that doesnt look like solar panels, the specular shouldnt have really any bump except maybe some general wavyness of the glass. also you probably need to make a special shader to really get it looking good.
  • Pope Adam
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    yeah, the model itself is in fact about 5k poly... and i did the render with a single meshsmooth itereation just for shit and giggles.

True, them shits aint free and my instructor does not condone it for working game models. I'll make a small post later of the model rendered without the smooth on it... not a huge difference anywho. :P
  • thinsoldier
    Offline / Send Message
    thinsoldier polycounter lvl 18
    experimenting with ways to quickly come up with random looking thing that could maybe look like monsters if you squint your eyes, tilt your head, and imagine a little.

tablet7_by_thinsoldier.jpg

http://thinsoldier.deviantart.com/art/tablet7-63619692
    ... monsters or old school arcade space shooter ships?
  • ironbearxl
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Pushing to finish this:
    shae_f.jpg
  • pyromania
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    experimenting with ways to quickly come up with random looking thing that could maybe look like monsters if you squint your eyes, tilt your head, and imagine a little.

http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs21/300W/f/2007/241/f/6/tablet7_by_thinsoldier.jpg

http://thinsoldier.deviantart.com/art/tablet7-63619692
    ... monsters or old school arcade space shooter ships?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this a lot. Reminds me of the aliens from Abyss for some reason.

More explanation of the technique is needed. grin.gif
  • thinsoldier
    Offline / Send Message
    thinsoldier polycounter lvl 18
    see the link under the image
    not really any technique to it

random crap on a layer (human shaped thing at the top)
    duplicate that layer
    flip it
    change blending mode
    and move it around left/right and see if anything interesting happens where the 2 layers overlap.

If only I could repaint what I think I see with some detail frown.gif
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Boomz, try replacing the spec on the solar panels with an environment map. There's much fancier ways to do it (like linking spec colour to fresnel parameters, so the colour changes depending on the viewing angle), but an envmap should do the job nicely I think. At the moment it looks way too noisy, when solar panels are pretty damn smooth.

Quick and dirty way to test it: create a ramp texture (under Maya 2d textures in the hypershade). Middle mouse drag it to the shader used on the panels. Choose "other" from the dialogue box that pops up then choose "out colour" from the left column, and "reflected colour" fromn the right. Should at least give you a starting point, but you'll want to change the default ramp colours to something more solar panel-y.
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    i have done very very much head topology studys before this one, but here is another one. somehow i still don't manage to get the nice flow some models have. i use edge extrusion method. Crits and comments (and maybe paintovers tongue.gif hinthint) would be great!
    facewiphl1.jpg
  • Rens
  • xysdf
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 11
    nice pose, rens smile.gif
  • Vitor
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    tired, bored, almost sleeping.... lacks a lot of colour, will probably finish it tomorrow.

[edit] on Mop's old old SDK of course.

mopskdom0.jpg
  • Armanguy
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Final on the turtle I was working on...and some hot box action... a Wells Fargo silver trunk ..Just need to model the lock still..just the high poly so far

silverbox.jpg

final-1.jpg

Blazier, Mop...awesome characters...cool stuff all round..nice start on your paintball guy Bit...Rens..nice sculpt
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    A character from one of my favorite books. Hard to find reference of a malamute wearing a Prussian military outfit with prosthetic hands. Lots of work to be done. Major cool points to anyone that knows where this is from btw.

Klaue_wip_full.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

'Lives of the Monster Dogs' by any chance?
  • Armanguy
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    crits on the texture would be awesome guys thanks smile.gif

controlsheet-1.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i think, generally speaking, it looks more like plastic than metal. have you tried adding some noise to the specular map? maybe a bit more contrast? it doesn't have that harsh falloff that metal has when it shines.
  • TheMadArtist
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Klaue_wip_full.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

'Lives of the Monster Dogs' by any chance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool points for you. That is, if you actually knew it and didn't google it or look at my site tongue.gif
  • Flewda
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    There is almost no contrast on the thing. Everything almost appears to be made of the exact same material. It also seems to lack some Ambient Occlusion. And the normals don't seem to be popping as good as they could be (which makes the AO that much more important in this case).

It also looks like you have scratches that go across extruded piece (that are in the normal). One thing you can do to make a normal map look that much more convincing is to treat it as if it were truly 3d, when you texture it. It's not very likely that something would be able to scratch the flat piece, continue scratching up the side of the extruded piece, across the top, and repeat that two or three more times, without ever breaking the actual scratch. So try and break those up a bit. Remember, overlays are a good start to a texture, but you can't just expect to throw down a couple of overlays, and have it work out perfectly.
  • kakikukeko
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    low odor: nice turtle ; it seems you have a strange halo around it tho?

taking a break from characters..
    venturi%20fetish.jpg
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Cool points for you. That is, if you actually knew it and didn't google it or look at my site tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I read it a few years ago. Nice job with the model, I could instantly tell which book it came from. Although, the characters in that book were very memorable to begin with.
  • TheMadArtist
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I read it a few years ago. Nice job with the model, I could instantly tell which book it came from. Although, the characters in that book were very memorable to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome, I've tried to recommend that book to so many people. Not many people have heard of it at all, and I don't think she's written anything else since.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    bodyshotkn8.jpg

just waiting for crits in my predator thread so i can start working on it again :P
  • Armanguy
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    There is almost no contrast on the thing. Everything almost appears to be made of the exact same material. It also seems to lack some Ambient Occlusion. And the normals don't seem to be popping as good as they could be (which makes the AO that much more important in this case).

It also looks like you have scratches that go across extruded piece (that are in the normal). One thing you can do to make a normal map look that much more convincing is to treat it as if it were truly 3d, when you texture it. It's not very likely that something would be able to scratch the flat piece, continue scratching up the side of the extruded piece, across the top, and repeat that two or three more times, without ever breaking the actual scratch. So try and break those up a bit. Remember, overlays are a good start to a texture, but you can't just expect to throw down a couple of overlays, and have it work out perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the textures are handpainted with my mouse :P so there are no overlays. i might have to though!
  • ironbearxl
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Spent some more time on her:

Shae_g.jpg
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    your being watched!

final-1.jpg
  • Flewda
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    While handpainting textures is very noble, and really cool if it can be pulled off, it's not really practical to handpaint everything in textures anymore. The results/time it takes to just use photo textures as a base pays off in the end. Again, not saying hand painting is bad or anything, just way more reasonable to do photos, especially trying to get as much in your portfolio as possible.
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    While handpainting textures is very noble, and really cool if it can be pulled off, it's not really practical to handpaint everything in textures anymore. The results/time it takes to just use photo textures as a base pays off in the end. Again, not saying hand painting is bad or anything, just way more reasonable to do photos, especially trying to get as much in your portfolio as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm...not really. It all depends what sort of style you're going for.
  • EarthQuake
    No really, using some source will speed up your process in just about 90% of situations, even stylistic stuff, i mean unless the style is just being able to see all the brush strokes total hand painted look.... I use source in nearly everything i do, does that mean my work lacks style? Of course not, it just means i get done twice as fast as the people that think using source is a sin.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    custom brushes help with stylistic stuff, I recently started using various noisy brushes with slight hue, saturation and brightness jitters to lay down a nice base to work from. All thanks to Doc Rob
  • coldwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, the brush options are a blast and immensely helpful, but IMO there's no substitute for the real world as a base. I mainly use brushes for grunge and grime etc and just use photos for truly convincing things like wood, dirt and other grounds, vegetation, and even caution signs and graffiti (what? I don't have time to bomb my assets!). On the other hand, things like metal/plastic/rubber are better/faster when done by hand (and augmented by shaders).

Also, there's something to be said for procedurals--they're getting pretty damn good, especially with tools like MapZone.

Honestly, I'm just happy to hear a veteran like EQ saying what I've been doing is common practice laugh.gif
  • Armanguy
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive been handpainting most of my textures on my most recent pieces my sweet tooth model is all handpainted so is the wasroom models and this current one im doing but i have noticed a few things that i dilike about hanpainting all my models i use a mouse so its alot of work. i just started a Gears of war scene that i will be using both hand painted and photosourced textures.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    low odor that turtle is so charming
  • Rwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Aiiiee.... getting lost in the texturing. Any crit's for him?

beasttex.jpg
  • kakikukeko
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    Nice uhh.. beast Rwolf! wink.gif
    I think you got a pretty nice base for the skin texture, looks good to me.. the tatoo is a bit to present tho IMO..
    (Nice tiger warior on your site! )

fetishinside2.jpg
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    @ Rwolf
    I dont like your skin texture, looks like a simple cloud effect to me. Think about where more warm color is visible an where more of the colder skin color is visible. Taking your own skin as reference is very helpfull. You could also use the ups and downs of the anatomy for changing the color of the skin.
    Blue and the skin orange is a very wide color range, you may want to overthink it. smile.gif
    Another thing are the tattos, they look very random and that they all over him makes it even worse! I suggest making them small and the shapes more close belonging together.
    The model is great now give the texture the love it deserves! smile.gif

@ kakikukeko
    Looks like very good high poly modeling and like a lot of work. The back of the car looks strange to me, maybe just too round.
  • JonJ
    I'm working on my car right now.

d97fd40a42f7c64532c4f7bd40d1693b.jpg

dd9b3c183efbb69e583342b4071539f1.jpg
  • Penzer
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    1990 Nissan 240sx ftw! I used to have one but the poor old KA finally blew and I had to sell it. I actually modeled it a long time ago, back in highschool.
  • JonJ
    mine's an 1989 actually and we put a the S15 SR into it about 4 years ago, I think i just rolled 50k on that motor so I'll have it for awhile longer.
  • Turoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Turoid polycounter lvl 17
    Some nice work around here crazy.gif

I was watching the A-Team on TV lately, wip
    6.jpg

PSP model
  • Pedro Amorim
    [ QUOTE ]
    Some nice work around here crazy.gif

I was watching the A-Team on TV lately, wip
    6.jpg