Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: darkmag07

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
Figured I'd start one of these threads since I'm trying to get more proficient with ZBrush now that I actually own a copy of it. The program makes me want to bash my head against a wall, but maybe I’ll get over it with enough practice.

Mokona-1024x535.jpg

So first up, I thought I’d try something simple… Say Mokona from Rayearth. So I figured I’d just bite the bullet and try doing everything in ZBrush itself so I started with a Dynamesh sphere and came up with this horrible little gremlin monster, I mean, halfway decent base after… a few hours?

mokona_wip_01.png

And then a little, or a lot more time later, I managed to eek out what you see below by going through various remeshing/dynameshing/and sculpting passes. So far, front view is looking great, but the other angles are suffering a bit.

mokona_wip_02a.png
mokona_wip_02c.png
mokona_wip_02b.png

In general, I’d say I’m struggling with getting the shapes I want. Even at pretty low resolution, since high poly is scary. The above images were only uprressed to allow me to better define the mouth. The ears in particular seem flabby to me when viewed in profile. Getting the edges to feel the appropriate thickness and smoothness has been challenging. I should probably find a few more reference images of the marshmallow in side view as well. And add in his stubby little tail...

We’ll see how I feel in the morning with a fresh set of eyes.

Replies