Home Dota 2

Dota 2 workshop monthly unnoficial competition - June

Replies

• Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    Great news about the prizes. It sounds like a pretty handy tool.

I worked some more on the sword and changed the shoulders to blue. Things to do:

boots
    neck
    misc

day7q.jpg
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnS8WSeBGS8"]kunkka - YouTube[/ame]
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    lookin slick Tamarin.

a tiny bit of progress for me. it's not much but at least i'm out of bed and dressed.
    kunkkaPipeWIP01.jpg
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    concept_june_contest.jpg

while going on and off with the nyx set i couple of weeks ago started, i thought, why not join in the competition for the fun of it. I kinda feel the need to improve my concept sketching skills.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Okay i'll call this one done, meet the Bludgeon of the Aquatic Steed!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=152667187

steed_01.jpg

and because some people asked for tutorials I captured everything from blockout to retopo, not the boring final ingame bringing stuff but oh well :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUzgwSBWm-Q"]Dota - Making Of - Bludgeon of the Aquatic Steed - Blockout - YouTube[/ame]
    blockout
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrQz4xfSfUA"]Dota - Making Of - Bludgeon of the Aquatic Steed - Sculpting - YouTube[/ame]
    sculpting
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9emx5kWxNI"]Dota - Making Of - Bludgeon of the Aquatic Steed - Blockout - YouTube[/ame]
    retopo
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work Neox!

I`m going to check out those videos. I really like the style.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Rated! Love how it came out!
  • Zalakzik
    Me and Robo want to participate :)
    DSburNm.jpg
  • jimanjr
    Hey guys,

Hope you don't mind a coder around here :)

I'm in the process of learning 2d/concept basics and this contest seems like a good way to do it.

Here's my first attempt at a concept:

concept_jim_weapon_zps1d5939dd.jpg

The idea stems from the concept of "force of nature". I think it lacks detail, but I'm also thinking that I should probably keep it simple.

What do you guys think?

EDIT 1: Updated concept to increase the size of details.

EDIT 2: Made the whole thing bulkier.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    i really like the idea, but to be readable from game distance you'll have to make the details way larger.
  • jimanjr
    Neox wrote: »
    i really like the idea, but to be readable from game distance you'll have to make the details way larger.

That makes sense. I have updated the concept to reflect this. I also changed the middle to a bud and some leafs around it. I think it might add a bit more color to the final image.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    way better! for your own reference just scale it down to ingame size thats your target, i know its really hard to not get lost in details and visual noise.
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    how do people get their models into the alien swarm sdk/ SFM for previews?

i tried to drag my mdl and bits from the test folders into my root folder but i'm getting errors.

edit: just realised this was the monthly thread. wooooops.
  • AlexDascal
    Here are some of my ideas for wards. I'm not that good at concepting and i hope these are not sore views :D. Anyways, if anyone wanna collaborate please feel free.
    0d11.jpg
  • Paskie
    Tide wants to ride the submarine.

hQ0w55u.jpg
  • jimanjr
    Hello,

A little progress update:

Progress01_zpsdf8ab5e3.jpg

Kinda got the shape I wanted. Now I need to get it ready for sculpting...
  • Mr. Pockets
    So much awesome stuff coming out you guys!

I tried to import my item into the game however it keeps coming in all jumbled up.
    I've done everything I've read in guides and on forums about the correct workflow of item creation, but for some reason the game is not cooperating.

Does anyone know what might be causing this/ever ran into this issue?
    Any help would be appreciated!

SESZF1Y.png
  • Vextrakt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    So much awesome stuff coming out you guys!

I tried to import my item into the game however it keeps coming in all jumbled up.
    I've done everything I've read in guides and on forums about the correct workflow of item creation, but for some reason the game is not cooperating.

Does anyone know what might be causing this/ever ran into this issue?
    Any help would be appreciated!

SESZF1Y.png

What format are you exporting your model as? If FBX, make sure you switch the version to FBX 2009
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    a first blockout, going into sculpting now.

naturesprophet-blockout.jpg
  • Mr. Pockets
    Vextrakt wrote: »
    What format are you exporting your model as? If FBX, make sure you switch the version to FBX 2009

This is exactly how I exported it. I seem to have made progress in getting it to not fold up like that, but now it shows up in the wrong position. URGH.
  • Mantra
    Wild-tide_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

I decided to compete again this month, and give some love to Morphling. If I can get everything right the detail map will provide a nice dynamic look to the whirlpool and waves. I hope i can sync it up correctly with the base textures, so that it looks like a nice even flow.

Mr. Pockets: Did you check the axii? The thing you got going there looks like the bug that I got when I exported an OM object with a switched up Z axis.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    natures-prophet-lighting.jpg

natures-prophet-lighting2.jpg

Anyone know how the black color comes to happen on my model? Turned self-illuminating parts on and off, gets worth when turned off, tried to leave channels empty just with the dot in the corner no change. anyone a clue why this happens or has the same problem?

edit:found it out myself, incase someone wants to know: normal map messed up somehow, dunno how it happened. have to check. handplane is new to me

edit²: anyone know how to add sprites to a model? usually furions staff has a glow/sprite effect on the top. how do u create stuff like that?
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on this when I have the time.

I got some feedback from a friend who said it would be better to change the color up a bit so I expanded of the green trim around the collar.

Took a few steps backwards redesigning the shoulders but maybe the next step will be forward!

rkbj.jpg
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUzSYpkSSKI"]Kunkka day9 - YouTube[/ame]
  • Zoja
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoja polycounter lvl 6
    Mantra wrote: »
    Wild-tide_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

I decided to compete again this month, and give some love to Morphling. If I can get everything right the detail map will provide a nice dynamic look to the whirlpool and waves. I hope i can sync it up correctly with the base textures, so that it looks like a nice even flow.

Mr. Pockets: Did you check the axii? The thing you got going there looks like the bug that I got when I exported an OM object with a switched up Z axis.

Amazing idea! Looks really great, good luck mate, I think this one will be awesome :)
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    tamarin: i really like the weapon concept but it looks really unstable and breakable at the crosspiece - maybe you could bulk that portion up a bit
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK:

I took your advice and widened the center a bit. Thanks for noticing that.

z8e4.jpg

Okay, after a second comment I tried playing around with the shapes a bit trying to get the sword looking more stable. I tried moving the compass shape to the top of the blade but I lost the negative space between the spokes which I like. There are no more triangles to work with so I decided to scale up the compass piece to increase the thickness. I am not sure if it balances as well now but hopefully it doesn't look like it will shatter.

Just have one more item to add, which is an accessory. I was thinking of some kind of navigational aid or maybe a bottle of rum.

h3f.jpg
  • jimanjr
    Hey,

@Tamarin: I think even bulked up it still looks a bit fragile. You could try using that cross instead of the 3 blue circles at the tip (cut a slot inside the blade for it). That way, you keep the element and the sword is no longer unbalanced. Just an idea :)

Here's another update on my Furion staff:

The sculpt:

Progress02_zps6e62bf5d.jpg

And the low-poly version with the barely started texture (only colors + AO / cavity):

Progress03a_zpsd787ac2d.jpgProgress03b_zpsa7934864.jpg

I'm going to remake part of that crystal tonight. I failed at normal baking and I'll fix it.
  • AlexDascal
    Hey guys! Finally had time to get my sculpt together, hoping i can finish until tomorrow.

@Tamarin: That concept looks awesome! Fragile or not ^^

a3lv.jpg
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    natures-prophet-staff.jpg

Ok, making some progress here. I skipped the sprite part for now. If you got any input on sprites you re more than welcome.

Things I dont like yet:
    The engravings/linings are to small, dont mind the shaders yet, havent adjusted them yet.
    The colors overall, I think, look ok so far. Need some adjustment on the black and on details.
    There are baking artifacts where the crystal meets the stick. I just figured out how to maybe avoid those, so i gonna do the sculpt again/edit it and rebake the whole thing and then i might even try out a bake with fbx instead of obj and compile into fbx instead of smd.

comments are very welcome
  • Paskie
    Heh, almost no details came through in when i tried it ingame :D
    y3csPG2.jpg
  • Paskie
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    i have absolutely no clue what i'm looking at, what are those items supposed to be paskie?
  • Mantra
    Does anyone know how to test items with running detail textures? I know how to set the scrollspeed in the vmt file, but i couldnt figure out how to test it yet. If I load the model again in dota after the dit it has the same scrollspeed as by default, and the SDK doesnt show the detail map either. Help would be much appreciated!
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Mantra wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to test items with running detail textures? I know how to set the scrollspeed in the vmt file, but i couldnt figure out how to test it yet. If I load the model again in dota after the dit it has the same scrollspeed as by default, and the SDK doesnt show the detail map either. Help would be much appreciated!
    You can't do custom materials, all the cosmetics use the material of the hero they're attached to.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    You can't do custom materials, all the cosmetics use the material of the hero they're attached to.

but is there any chance to change the material of an object? say a courier, because right now the mask2 fopr couriers don't work as they do for all other weapons, i'm tempted to paint/bake in all specular just to get a nice result for the game.
  • Mantra
    Thx for the tips. I figured out a workaround, i just had to adjust the u-v ratio of my objects in the desired direction. Now if I want to speed up the scrolling of the detail texture I just need to compress the vertexes on the U axis. Compared to the non-compressed parts of the texture it will run significantly faster. The downside to this is that the smaller vertexes can hold less detail, but since its all water for my Morphling project its ok.
  • Paskie
    i have absolutely no clue what i'm looking at, what are those items supposed to be paskie?

I'm going for a broken Keen submarine, my crappy concept of this idea.
    j4fZi8N.jpg
    The periscope is already submitted earlier this year. Figured i would try to make a set out of the theme.
  • Rubus
  • Paskie
  • jimanjr
    Hey there,

Another progress update:

progress_04___texture_partially_done_by_jimanjr-d6a0gpn.jpg
    progress_05___remade_the_bud_by_jimanjr-d6a23wa.jpg
    (Xoliul shader)

I didn't like the cracks at all so I remade them. (Modelled a crack then rendered its projection on a plane for normalmap and AO)

I'd consider the texture for the shaft and leaves final, but I'm open to suggestions.
    The crystal and bud are still WIP.

EDIT: Remade the bud. I think it looks way better now :)
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good jimanjr. Let's see it in game.

I had some negative comments towards the hat, so I am working in another direction. I was thinking of a more contemplative Hemingway type Kunkka.

u3dw.jpg
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Paskie wrote: »
    I'm going for a broken Keen submarine, my crappy concept of this idea.
    j4fZi8N.jpg
    The periscope is already submitted earlier this year. Figured i would try to make a set out of the theme.

i really like the idea BUT it doesn't work at the moment, i think you should do 2 things to make it work better,
    First of all change the design to look more like it was built from gnomes, like timbersaw, tinker or clockworks.
    Second of all to make it understandable you should really build or illsutrate that thing as a full ship, preferably with a gnome sitting inside to sell the idea better.
    Right now it really doesn't read well, removing that cool idea almost entirely, which is really really sad and makes it feel a bit unfitting.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    why another pipe, kunkka? :( i'm too slow. also that mustache is glorious.
  • Paskie
    i really like the idea BUT it doesn't work at the moment, i think you should do 2 things to make it work better,
    First of all change the design to look more like it was built from gnomes, like timbersaw, tinker or clockworks.
    Second of all to make it understandable you should really build or illsutrate that thing as a full ship, preferably with a gnome sitting inside to sell the idea better.
    Right now it really doesn't read well, removing that cool idea almost entirely, which is really really sad and makes it feel a bit unfitting.

That is the design I'm trying to do and i agree the concept does not show it with my lack of good concepting skills. I'm basing the colors and tech on Tinkers robotic arms. I think it will show better when i have all the pieces ready and the marketing material done. Aiming for a pic with submarine complete with the keen inside of it doing some work at the bottom of the sea. Thx for the suggestions!
  • jimanjr
    Hey,

Here's some ingame shots (without masks done)

DotaShot_01_zpsbd0dbd6a.jpg
    DotaShot_03_zps9f964555.jpg
    DotaShot_02_zps454e6225.jpg

Sadly I won't have time to work on the masks until monday :(
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    natures-prophet-staff2.jpg

after a reworking the whole thing for baking over and over again, finally some progress. a quite clean bake is worth gold. gotta clean up some texture artifact here and there. finetune the masks a bit and clean up the seams that a still visible in the back of the staff. minor bugs though.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    -looking good jimanjr. The blue crystal is a little bit hard to understand what it is but everything else reads pretty well. The hand grip is maybe too close in color to his actual hand.

-it is a good concept Paskie. You should post up your UV's. I have a feeling that you are not getting good texture density. Also, the leather strap on the submarine looks like something that was custom made - where Tidehunter looks like the kind of guy that would just use stuff he found. Also, I find the little remote looks a bit like an old Nintendo controller (which is cool).

-I don't know if I'll go that direction with the pipe reverendK - I liked your original concept sketch and looking forward to seeing more.

Nice one Coyo.Te! I can definitely see that in game!
  • Paskie
    Tamarin wrote: »
    -looking good jimanjr. The blue crystal is a little bit hard to understand what it is but everything else reads pretty well. The hand grip is maybe too close in color to his actual hand.

-it is a good concept Paskie. You should post up your UV's. I have a feeling that you are not getting good texture density. Also, the leather strap on the submarine looks like something that was custom made - where Tidehunter looks like the kind of guy that would just use stuff he found. Also, I find the little remote looks a bit like an old Nintendo controller (which is cool).

-I don't know if I'll go that direction with the pipe reverendK - I liked your original concept sketch and looking forward to seeing more.

Nice one Coyo.Te! I can definitely see that in game!

Yes, i am having a hard time with UV on the belt and the 128 x 256 texture since there are many details that doesn't come out well ingame. I'm doing another try and packing them much tighter, hopefully it will be better. But if not i'll just cut down on the details, no biggie. My fault really, choosing the belt slot which is by default a very small piece of cloth. Will post pictures when i have made some more bakes. Thinking of adding another piece to the head slot, perhaps a lamp+cord around his neck.
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    natures-prophet-staff3.jpg

So there it is, finally. Just need to get the Promoshot working and then put the whole thing up on the workshop. now to the kunkka weapon ^^
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    jimanjr : Idd add some more details on the cristal and make it darker to get the green leafs showing some more ; here is an example of a cristal texture
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lVYUVTbSaOI/T9HDxt9laXI/AAAAAAAAAOg/ZfDlNZfBG4o/s1600/gem_diffuse.jpg