Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Naga Siren - Honor Restored

[Edited: I added numbers to my concepts and the original screenshot I painted over of the original Naga Siren Head]

I painted some concepts for the Naga Siren Head piece, sorry for the inconsistencies in details in the latter 2 pages.

Original:
Head_zps4e982b92.jpg

Head01_zps5385beb5.jpg

HEad02_zps3563c989.jpg

Head03_zps16ed0a3d.jpg

I'd like to get some ideas from other awesome artist out there before I start on the armor pieces and her main and offhand weapon, so hit me up with some comments!

Tell me which shapes are the best in your opinion, and I'll settle on three head shapes and draw the armor and weapons based upon what seems to be the best done between everybody's opinion and my own! :poly142:

[Edit]
Sorry for lack of update. Posting my armor.

Armor01-2.jpg

Armor02.jpg

Armor03.jpg

I'll probably be heading towards the third concept, although the difficulty might be in getting the transparent face veil, but if anybody has ideas on what difficulties I might encounter making each of these, then please don't be afraid to comment! Other then that I'll probably use a combination of these three, and maybe simplify some of the details to get stronger shapes.

[Edit]

Sorry for being so bad with updating. Here is my final concept, Thanks to REKLAS for the paintover and concept combination idea. I took it and painted over some areas to make it flow a little better in my opinion.

Final.png

I've been working on the Zbrush for awhile. It's fun to stay in Zbrush for awhile. I prefer it over modeling a lot of times.

Here is what I imported into Zbrush.
Start.jpg

And after all this time, here is what I decided as the stopping point for everything, so I can hurry and start on baking, and finally diffuse, spec, and normal clean up.

End.jpg

Thanks to all the people who have given me advice so far.

Replies

• Managor
    Almost every one of those that spreads over the span of shoulders is good. Except for 1st page 1st concept: Lose the flowers.
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    Almost all these look really good. I like the the 2 on the right of the first group the most though. (Might want to number your concepts to make it easier)
  • Danglebob
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    My favorite is this one:
    demi.JPG

lets see some armor concepts!
  • 00Lotus
    Thanks for the replies! Managor, I was wondering if there was any particular reason you didn't like the flowers, like it would be too difficult to make, or if it does not fit with the character? Clyptic, I added numbers so it should be easier for everybody else to name which one they like.
  • Managor
    Ah damn. It was personal preference at the moment, sorry that I didn't point out any reasoning for that. I really need to consider my comments more. I like the overall design of the "hair" part on it

As for something new to comment on: Number 2 looks a bit off. Maybe it's because it reassigns the primary color on the color palette, or that it's near all the other concepts that have the same idea with the color palette... Now that I think about it, it could also be because the jaggy shapes are less pleasing for the eye.

But yeah. Overall I still like them to be wide. Could be because it doesn't rework the silhouette.
  • Graham
    Very interesting bunch of concepts here.

I am loving no.2, really cool how you have incorporated the look of coral.

No.6 is probably my favorite, elegant yet menacing.

No.17 comes in at a close second, very regal.
  • 00Lotus
    Thanks Managor for clarifying. I'll keep it in mind when creating other concepts. Thanks for the input Graham, posting another comment, because I need more feedback.
  • REKLAS
    Nice concepts. I like the added colors the flowers bring to it in #1 and the jewels are cool and make it look like a crown or headdress. A combination of #1 and the ears/fins of #3 could be neat.
  • 00Lotus
    Made an edit and hoping for some awesome advice.! :)
  • 00Lotus
    Another post of what is above, because I was given advice to.

Sorry for being so bad with updating. Here is my final concept, Thanks to REKLAS for the paintover and concept combination idea. I took it and painted over some areas to make it flow a little better in my opinion.

Final.png

I've been working on the Zbrush for awhile. It's fun to stay in Zbrush for awhile. I prefer it over modeling a lot of times.

Here is what I imported into Zbrush.
    Start.jpg

And after all this time, here is what I decided as the stopping point for everything, so I can hurry and start on baking, and finally diffuse, spec, and normal clean up.

End.jpg

Thanks to all the people who have given me advice so far.