Home Quixel Megascans

ANSWERED: DDO - Look Dev

Here is a guide a user in our private beta made explaining some of how the look dev process can be used inside of the new DDO. I plan on making a video for this real soon. DDO Look Dev is the process of taking a render or screenshot of a model with no uv's and texturing it using the tool in 2.5d right inside of Photoshop. This allows you to prototype looks as well as play with the model right before you start getting into the low poly stage. Since this is all done right inside of DDO you can then save the work you have done on the 2.5d piece and apply it to the low when it is done and uv'd to get a head start on the texture process. Curious to see what you guys come up with!

Look Dev: http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=ddo_lookdev

pMrS8sP.jpg

Replies

• cman2k
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Really cool, evocative of Gauss' approach on his art for Brigador; http://stellarjockeys.com/

But maybe even cooler in some ways since there's no rendering and it's more interactive and quick to iterate. Really neat to see people thinking outside of the box like that.

Thanks for sharing Ryan!
  • Teyon
    Offline / Send Message
    Teyon polycounter lvl 11
    Neat. So the process as described would also work with renders out of ZBrush, where you would paint flat colors for the ID's and render using the Flat material? That about right?
  • Popeye9
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    So I tried this out and its awesome!I had to figure out how to get my maps out of max since I have a better grasp of the rendering in there as opposed to Maya. For anyone wondering I applied my material colors to the high poly using the old ddo materials then rendered out the color map by using a "render element" "Diffuse"

renderelement_zps77c8df5b.jpg

Then for the Ao, Normal and Object space Normal I created a mental ray material and plugged the AO map in to the Surface slot of the material

Material_Setup_zpsd80d48fc.jpg

Then I instanced that to the material over ride option in the render setup so that I dont lose my material id colors.

materialOverride_zps2212f5f1.jpg

Then with this active I can change the "Type" in the AO map to the correct map and render it out. I used the "AO", "Bent Normal" and "Bent Object".

I would like to figure out how to get a curvature map. I also have to get used to the new DDO but with the couple hours I played with it I was able to change the materials and try out all kinds of combinations. This is not the final product but I save the project and can fool with this as I like.

Lokdev_zps33b30d66.jpg
  • 9of9
    I'm curious how you get and tweak the final render in DDO?

Since you're working with a 2.5D object, I'm guessing you're not importing an OBJ - so what do you do once you've loaded in the diffuse/normal/occlusion maps and generated your textures? Do you import a quad into 3DO for previewing?
  • Popeye9
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    No need to import a quad you just use the plane mesh to display instead of the cylinder.
  • kunutusun
    Just curious - was a video ever created for this? Id really find it useful so hoping on will come out.. even if its roughly made.
  • Eric Ramberg
    No video yet, but in the future for sure!
  • Christian Cunningham
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Cunningham polycounter lvl 10
    I can not for the life of me figure out how to bake a id map for look dev in maya. Where is the option to turn off the shading? I have scoured the internet and have found nothing :(

21117qh.jpg

Thanks in advance.