Home General Discussion

The Walking Dead

Replies

• Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    I was thinking the same thing, but I guess they left Glenn back as the back-up leader in case shit hit the fan. Other then Glenn who could they have brought?

Maggie? - doubtful to separate her from Glenn
    Michonne? - and trust her not to kill The Gov. on sight, yea right.
    Merle? - not yet trusted.
    Remainder - pretty much useless, sure vs. zombies they can have there strong points but Carl, Beth, Carol and whoever else I can't recall at the top of my head would be terrible at an negotiation. Never mind how annoying they would be to listen too. I'm even starting to get tired of Glenn's tough act now.

You make a good point. I think either Carl or Glenn would be suitable "leaders" for the base camp while Rick's away. Kids no slouch anymore. If it were me, Carl or Beth could have done just as good for eyes/defense. Even better with a rifle up high. But yeah, Hershel would be the negotiation man. That and doctor stuff seem to be his main skills.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I enjoyed this episode too. I think they should leave the prison. Too dank. The show looks pretty good in HD when they are outside. The writers have failed the opportunity of having the prison be a place of comfort for the crew anyway.

Where is the black couple and their douchy friend? I guess they're a big part of what the Governor has planned.

I hate the governor as much as I hate Joffrey from GoT. His smile is so slimy, I hate it. That bad veneer job doesn't help.

I would have liked it if we weren't shown Hurshel's guns on his stump at the start; kept it as a surprise had he pulled his weapons, making the dialogue between him and the advisor precursive; but I think I've been watching too much Breaking Bad. :P

So can someone explain to me why they will actively leave an innocent hitchhiker to die but the sheriff didn't put a hollow point in the governors forehead as soon as he layed eyes on him? Seems like a weird mix of ethics there.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Andreas wrote: »
    I hate the governor as much as I hate Joffrey from GoT. His smile is so slimy, I hate it. That bad veneer job doesn't help.
    His mouth is tiny.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    I enjoyed this episode too. I think they should leave the prison. Too dank. The show looks pretty good in HD when they are outside. The writers have failed the opportunity of having the prison be a place of comfort for the crew anyway.

Where is the black couple and their douchy friend? I guess they're a big part of what the Governor has planned.

I would have liked it if we weren't shown Hurshel's guns on his stump at the start; kept it as a surprise had he pulled his weapons, making the dialogue between him and the advisor precursive; but I think I've been watching too much Breaking Bad. :P

So can someone explain to me why they will actively leave an innocent hitchhiker to die but the sheriff didn't put a hollow point in the governors forehead as soon as he layed eyes on him? Seems like a weird mix of ethics there.

I think it's about risk avoidance. Rick knows he has to try to talk to the Governor, but he also knows that if he just showed up and shot the him then Hershel or Daryl could get killed outside. Whereas the hitchhiker could be a a nice guy or he could be a maniac killer; or in the process of turning. By leaving him he doesn't have to risk finding out the latter.

I have an HD tv but not HD cable and didn't even know Hershel had guns strapped to his leg, just looked like thick velcro strips to me :(

I hate Joffery more, at least you know the Gov might be able to fuck you up, there is no reason not to just bitch-slap Joffery (at least as long as he doesn't tell his mother).

If Tyrese and co are part of the Gov's big plan than it's a shitty plan. At least based on the screen-time they've had with Rick so far. I mean really what's he gonna do? "Hey Rick, remember that random guy you met for 5 minutes and scared away? He's on my side now mother-fucker!"
    More likely they'll be with the Gov's crew during the showdown and then decide to help Rick when the realize the Gov's a dick.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18

I have an HD tv but not HD cable and didn't even know Hershel had guns strapped to his leg, just looked like thick velcro strips to me :(

haha, must be a small TV too. He had duct tape strapped around his thigh, to hold the gun to the right side of his stump.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    My TV is so small I didn't even notice he'd lost a leg.
  • tottot
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Goddammit! It is frustrating enough watching Andrea, who is one of the strongest, most badass characters in the graphic novel act so incredibly naive about the Governor. Now they end the episode with Rick being a moron and thinking the Governor would keep his word?

I really prefer the Governor of the graphic novel, the show is trying so hard to make him some psychological adversary and all that it is accomplishing is making the main characters seem even more idiotic, not making the Governor some amazing arch enemy.

The sad character development is compounded by the fact that you compare this show to AMC's other big hitters, Mad Men and Breaking Bad, and I realllllllllly wish they could borrow a writer or two from one of those shows, just to make one episode really shine and make the characters not seem like complete morons who argue in circles.
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    ebagg wrote: »
    Now they end the episode with Rick being a moron and thinking the Governor would keep his word?

I'm pretty sure he let onto the fact that he thinks even if he does hand of Michonne that the Gov will still attack them. I don't think his character would be that naive, but who knows anymore really, and I don't say that in a good way.
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah there was a line when Rick was talking to Hershel where he said that he thought the Gov would probably go back on his work and kill them all anyways. But his thoughts were, but what if he doesn't?
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    But his thoughts were, but what if he doesn't?

MADDENING.

I dunno. There's things I hate about the show. Frankly, there's nothing else on tv until football and breaking bad come back.

Oh, the new Vikings show on History seems decent.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    That glock taped to the desk had me on edge the whole episode heh.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    ... I don't know how I feel about that episode ending...
  • slipsius
    Im beginning to wonder why I watch this show.... the season started out so well, but damn is it slowing right down.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    See I think that just reinforces the idea that the show works better when watched all at once. Everything I heard about season 2 was the same, that it was too drawn out and boring, but I wasn't able to watch it until after it wrapped and found that while it drag a little in the middle, it kept a pretty good pace throughout and I always wanted to watch the next episode.

On the ever present Andrea issue, is anybody watching Talking Dead? Laurie Holden was on tonight's ep and talking a bit about some deleted scenes. I got the feeling like they cut out all the scenes that would have made her, if not like-able then at least relatable.
  • tottot
    Offline / Send Message
    Man I can't wait for Game of Thrones
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    anyone else catch on talking dead they used a hand held scanner on the actors for the toys and showed some shots in zbrush. looked awesome
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    ...why did the nerdy Woodbury guy pretty much admit he burned down the zombie trapper to the Governor?
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Good old zombies from fucking nowhere when andrea was booking it from the car in the first forest area. This show seems to rely on bs improbabilities to create drama - the governor catching up with her just as she reaches the prison, the governor somehow escaping all those zombies...
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    How the hell did the governor know exactly where Andrea was going to be? This show is hilarious now, haha.

Also, I thought the Governor was whistling 'Zeldas Lullaby' from Ocarina of Time, when Andrea first entered the prison.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qPtuOfQbyI"]zelda's lullaby (original) - YouTube[/ame]
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Wasn't too bad until the end... after that I'm not sure it's possible for anybody to kill the Governor...
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    tottot wrote: »
    Man I can't wait for Game of Thrones

I liked Game of Thrones but now it's more bs than I can handle. Zombies, dragons and one hundred and one plots. Also since I heard the average of age for the characters (in books) is around 12 years old I feel uncomfortable :P Couldn't be less excited... shame. No Game of Thrones ejoying for me :<

This episode was so so... Nothing really happened except we will see some Andrea being tortured... at least we got that.

Milton was always a horrible lier but this time he didn't even try.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    It was good to see Milton finally getting a backbone.

Here's the best thing I can say about the episode: It was my favorite 'Andrea centric' episode. That wasn't a very high bar though.
    It did several things, which I thought were really ridiculous, and always annoys me in movies. Some have been mentioned already, but here overwhelming clumsiness throughout that warehouse. Ever hear of watching where you walk? Like it was mentioned, the way zombies were miraculously there, in the woods, and how the hell did the Governor keep finding her? First, he finds her in that low area of the field (where he shouldn't have been able to see her), then knows exactly which building she's in, of all those buildings, and THEN appears behind her at the prison?

There were some great moments in the warehouse though.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure why I'm still watching this drivel, it's getting to Battlestar Galactica levels of stupid. Bad writing all round; completely unbelievable writing for characters. What was the intro about? Better to put that in a Michonne centric episode; like if she is to die.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    I liked Game of Thrones but now it's more bs than I can handle. Zombies, dragons and one hundred and one plots.

That's actually one of the strengths of Game of Thrones IMO. Here you have this bog-standard knights and castles scenario, but supernatural elements are creeping in to their world from the North and across the sea from the east. In many ways GoT is about these 'ordinary' characters having their worlds altered by this. So in some way its like if it were to happen to us today. That's one of the strengths I think it has anyway. :thumbup:
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    notman wrote: »
    It was good to see Milton finally getting a backbone.

Here's the best thing I can say about the episode: It was my favorite 'Andrea centric' episode. That wasn't a very high bar though.
    It did several things, which I thought were really ridiculous, and always annoys me in movies. Some have been mentioned already, but here overwhelming clumsiness throughout that warehouse. Ever hear of watching where you walk? Like it was mentioned, the way zombies were miraculously there, in the woods, and how the hell did the Governor keep finding her? First, he finds her in that low area of the field (where he shouldn't have been able to see her), then knows exactly which building she's in, of all those buildings, and THEN appears behind her at the prison?

There were some great moments in the warehouse though.

More importantly, why the hell didn't she try to steal his truck while he was trapped with the zombies?
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas - yeah I thought about it the same you describe it. I just had enough. Too much characters I want dead in Game of Thrones. Too much pointless plots. I think it's just not for me (and I love fantasy. I'm more of a Lotr guy though).

Slum - maybe because he was smart enough to take keys with him ? ;p
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, that too. I find it funny, when things like that are so obvious to the viewer, yet the director/writers didn't see the flaw in it. I said it the minute I saw her walk out "Now go grab his truck". Then, my coworker mentioned it this morning.
  • tottot
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking, since this is such a slow show that focuses on day to day life of the survivors, why dont they stop capitalizing on the major plot points and when an episode is slow, simply show us the day to day stuff? How are they getting food or upkeeping the prison? That could make for an interesting clip every now and then to splice up the action and keep us focused instead of a 30 minute chase where we knew neither character would die.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    Slum - maybe because he was smart enough to take keys with him ? ;p

I cant remember if this did happen or not but I do remember Andrea hot wire a car or was that with Shane? Anywho you would think that they would know how to by now. They don't expect keys just lying in the car do they? :poly141:
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I recall that he didn't even turn off the car. I remember when he walked into the building you hear him close the car door and the headlights are shining through the windows.
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    you would think that they would know how to by now. They don't expect keys just lying in the car do they? :poly141:

Amen.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that really irked me. She should have stolen the damn car. Silly bitch deserves to be in that chair at this point.
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    So they got Lauren Cohan (Maggie) on Conan and Steven Yeun (Glenn) on Jimmy Kimmel both in the same night. I didn't get the chance to watch either lol but thought it was rather odd, especially since neither of the two have really done much in the past few episodes.

EDIT: Conan turned out to be an old episode.
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    I recall that he didn't even turn off the car. I remember when he walked into the building you hear him close the car door and the headlights are shining through the windows.

Yep, he did not turn of the car (the picture is from the middle of the episode and doesn't spoil anything, its just the governor entering a building). https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9876544/The.Walking.Dead.png
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    I somehow cannot make myself give a shit about Andrea at this point. Episode felt most like filler.

I'm guessing that by the end of this season everyone but Daryl, Rick and Carl will be dead, or something like that.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I was thinking the same about the previous episode too, just Rick and the Governator (yarrgh) having a heart-to-heart chinwag for about 40 mins of it, there was definitely more action in the latest ep. Also, what a spot of bad luck when Andrea gets back to the prison, only to be subdued by the Governor and stuck in that chair - all that effort!

I'm hoping they go for some elaborate twist, perhaps Hershel could bust in to save Andrea before she's tortured and beat the Governor to death with the zombified leg he lost previously?
  • Memory
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    tottot wrote: »
    ...a 30 minute chase where we knew neither character would die.

^This so hard. It completely ruined any tense moments that could have happened in that abandoned building. If not for loved one's interest, I wouldn't be watching this show anymore, it's like a juvenile writing jerkfest in which anything could happen and always the most predictable thing does.

She should have sniped him with that pistol when she had the jump on him from that fully illuminated room above his dentist-office torture chamber.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Silly bitch deserves to be in that chair at this point.

pretty much that.

Liked the moment when Rick was like "was there something...? nah"
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Kwramm wrote: »
    pretty much that.

Liked the moment when Rick was like "was there something...? nah"

I thought the same thing - almost akin to one of those Skyrim moments where an enemy gets an arrow in the head, can't find the player and ends up walking off saying "Hmm... must be my imagination" :poly136:
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar wrote: »
    Yep, he did not turn of the car (the picture is from the middle of the episode and doesn't spoil anything, its just the governor entering a building). https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9876544/The.Walking.Dead.png

Ohhh... so yeah, Andrea silly you ;p

I also didn't remember she hot wired a car before... always thought about it as of some exotic skill. How do you go about learning this stuff if no one can do it and it's zombie apocalypse... you just take a car and try until it works ? Probably would took sometime.

I must learn to hot wire a car now...
  • EricHall
    Offline / Send Message
    EricHall polycounter lvl 6
    the least she could have done was slash his tires, she had a damn knife! what a fool!
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    EricHall wrote: »
    the least she could have done was slash his tires, she had a damn knife! what a fool!

That's another issue I had with it - if she had a knife, why didn't she just stick him in the other eye when he grabbed her? :poly127:
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I hope everyone else has set up a "How the Governor will die" betting pool with coworkers by the way..

Anyways, just watched the latest episode, it really turned into a 80's horror flick at one point, where the Gov, much like Michael Myers or Jason would just happen to show up.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    And amongst his assorted medical tools for his torture chamber he had a:

can-stock-photo_csp1650421.jpg

What the fuck gov, what the fuck :(
  • Paradan
    lol eld I noticed that too, at least it wasnt for mutant women...

btw best dam part of the series was in this last episode.

fucking xylophone music during the abandoned factory scene.
    I havent heard a xylophone since the hospital I worked at hired a guy to come hang out in the cancer ward and play one.
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    on the same page as notman, it was alright, it was the best "Andrea centric episode" but that's like putting a crown on a turd, sure its the king of turds, but it's still a turd.

I kept hearing Zelda's lullaby with the whistling too. :)

The random zombie sneak attacks are getting so dumb now, that first forest scene off the road in particular, it's open woods for fuck sake, and 2 of them were directly in front of her. It's just so annoying because it's not like they are even quiet.

Which is another issue with the whole abandoned factory hide and seek. Maybe it's because I wear headphones and I pick up smaller sounds, but nothing either of them did in there was quiet, their footsteps were ridiculously loud, and they were CONSTANTLY stepping on materials that crunched or broke, like glass. It really is silly when by comparison, the clumsy ass zombies strolling around have flawless sneaking ability and make absolutely no noise until they actually come into focus..

Andrea opens the door, see's the hoard and goes back out, despite the window being smashed (I think?) the zombies didn't do shit, didn't even converge on the door or make a sound or the slightest bump. They just seem to write new behaviour for these damn things all the time.

Like it's been mentioned, the Governor knowing exactly where to look was annoying as hell. They obviously wanted it to look like this hopeless slow chase which you sometimes see where the villain just doesn't give a shit and takes his time, but they completely neglected the fact that he is a human being who doesn't know her EXACT location... So it was like watching that cop guy from terminator 2.

I also wondered why she didn't just take the car, it seemed so obvious, she CLEARLY knew that the car was close by... but whatever.

The bit at the prison was painfully annoying.

1) How do you not hear someone rustling through thick grass, trees an bushes directly behind you?

2) The governor clearly ran out of bullets for his pistol when fending off the zombies in the factory/warehouse. What real threat was he? I don't recall him having a knife at all.

3) Andrea had a fucking knife, and she would have clearly had it ready at that specific moment because there was a zombie about 10ft in front of her that she would have had to deal with after waving to Rick.

4) That zombie apparently decided to do nothing despite the 2 people wriggling on the ground?

5) All Andrea had to do was just shout, it's not like he could cover her mouth forever, he didn't have any real way to constrain her but his bare hands. Eventually they have to stand up to go, and reveal their position...

Everything about the writing just seems so forced for the sake of over cliche drama, nothing is tied together and its so painfully obvious.

I just wanna see survival drama with zombies and resources again. They clearly fail at writing characters and their motives. :(
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    JFletcher wrote: »
    I just wanna see survival drama with zombies and resources again.

So, so true. It's really what the show was about - the struggle to survive. The human aspect. Also the zombies. They've made everyone in the show completely safe and sound, except for that pesky murdering each other bit. The political back-and-forth non-drama is entirely uninteresting.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    yep. exactly. more zombies, more survival!
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone curious why Rick's group has done nothing about the huge entrance through the back way that Tyreese and his people came through. Not like they could do too much about it but from what I remember they didn't even look into it.

And Tyreese knows the group they need to deal with is Rick right? But Rick doesn't know Tyreese is with the Gov does he?