Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

KA-52 Alligator Russian Attack Helicopter

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
AlexRodriguez polycounter lvl 6
GDC is creeping around the corner and my AR15 has entered its texture stage, with strong hopes of finishing my AR15 by the end of the month I started to analyze what I could do from now till March as my next project. I will be working on this a few days in between as I texture my AR15 to give myself some break's to analyze. My overall jobs goals entail vehicle/weapons artist for a realistic shooter, my eyes are currently set at Dice L.A from prior love with the franchise

Long story short, I saw Reno Levi Longbow tease and http://www.cantarel.de/ MI-24 and fell in love with the beauty of helicopters. I watched a couple documentary and studied up the past month before I decided to tackle this model (300 reference collected and 7 collages breaking the helicopter into parts has been assembled/blueprints scene setup). I am starting this thread early as I begin making my first vehicle.
T4yDyEv.jpg

Intention will be to model the Helicopter as close to the references I gathered and accuracy further then my DeWalt Jigsaw/AR15. I will mainly be aiming to accomplish the high poly by GDC and pre-gdc finish the low (Battlefield 5 resolution/bake and apply at studios)

Collage Example:
bHFIZeo.jpg
Side View Collage

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Good luck! I hope to do mine sometime. It's a big project though.

Also since it came up in the hangouts, just wanted to check if you've seen this thread in tech talk. Might be useful anyway.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Subscribed. Looking forward to seeing Alex
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Wow ! Gonna be good this one :D

This is my favorite chopper by the way. Glad to see other people has similar interests :)
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    Good luck Alex!
    Heli's are hard, so no slacking.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Subscribing. You have my curiosity, sir
  • Dmellott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmellott greentooth
    Gonna keep my eye on this one! Looking forward to it man!
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    nice work so far

(?)
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As I stated above I started the thread early before I went into Maya and began the modeling, most of the work I mentioned is couple days work organizing my reference guides and collecting overall spectrum of images.

@Bek Ill be posting periodically and making it in chunks to maintain accuracy and to layout the areas for all the accessories of the helicopter.

@MeshPotato/BringMeASunkist/Dmellot Hope you enjoy, once I finish my AR15 going full force at it

Progress to showcase my workflow, started with the front nose to make sure my blueprints are aligned (had to scale up the side nose as it was shorter than the top and so far it helped/worked). Will be applying Grant Warwick vehicle workflow and Andrew Cantarel in his vimeo tutorial as I progress and overall how I like to approach my modeling.

VBInMsL.png
    Next will begin blockout the window and doing that main area and cutting it off before it reaches the main body, this will be very important that I nail to get the full proportions for the helicopter. Weapons/Turrets/Sensors/Cameras will be model on the side as such I did with my AR15.
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    I'll be watching you O_o
  • JorgeBarros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JorgeBarros polycounter lvl 8
    Subscribed too :3
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress Update with 4 days work. I started blocking in the Tail Wings and the Wing Containers (they store the flares for the helicopter). There a 2 armament Tail Wing design and a 3 armament Wing design, I did them both there also 3 wing container design with 1 being one without any flares. This took me most of the time in terms of trying to see if the blueprint will hold strong, after some placement tweaking I managed to refine my workflow and the rest was just modeling.

On the 4th day, today I began blocking in the weapon holster (beam carrier) and got 2 done. There still 2 left and then the weapons themselves. At this rate the helicopter would be more along the lines of my gun where adjustiblity is possible. As for the modeling of these parts it been hard as I have to model it all by eye in the small amount of reference I have of such areas, but its been a blast cant wait to have to do this with my Star Citizen ship. Next time I go back to it ill be working on the last 2 beam carriers and then get all the weapons in place. There still alot of paneling and micro details that I can overlay over my blockout, it detailed enough where it just a matter of going back in and refining

x5mCNSq.jpg
    Tail Wings 3 and 2 design, and blockouts of the beam carriers aswell as the large fuel tank
    VZ7I3Kx.png
    Holding out with my blueprints although at this point it all by eye
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Have you planned what loadout you will make? There's a img somewhere you've probably already seen of the possible loadouts but I'm not sure if it's complete. Can take Vikhrs and Attaka type ATGMs, s-80, s-13, s-8 (for memory) rocket pods, kh-25mp, R-73, Igla-s... and I see you've already got an external fuel tank started. The 50 can carry certain bombs too, so I suppose it's possible the 52 can but I doubt they're ever used. The image you posted above has the B-8v20A rocket pods, Attaka ATGM's and igla loadout. Googling them individually might give you some extra references.

You might also find it easier to work with less geo as well and subdivide further when necessary. As an example here's the nose of mine:
    s0KaPT0.png
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I typically don't like to work with such a low amount of poly's as I don't smooth mesh preview very often. So my non smooth version captures the full essence of the model I am modeling; this gives me enough edges to carve out any of the details I may need aswell as stick with the reference/blueprint closer (I find it easier to remove/cleanup then having to add in to add more detail). This is more of a high level blockout pass to capture the full form of the helicopter but not so accurate yet to get all the bolts/paneling in place (I will do another pass say on the wing containers adding the flares holes and emergency light, this will be easier at this workflow as I can model it separately and then just connect it to the blockout)

I have this image of what my overall plan is for my Kamov, I am seeing as if you where playing battlefield and swapped the weapon in the menu that will then swap the model of the vehicle not just the texture that was in BF4. As this overall is just for practice and for fun going to take the full advantage of learning a wide field of HS as I can.

c5vqVxu.png
    As for the fuel tank there one that just carries fuel tanks the small and large version (I still haven't made the pipe that im guessing pours in the fuel) it also has no flares on the wing container but uses anti-missile laser below. I seen it with many loadouts most of them are pretty quick to model while the main ones will take more time. Thanks for the names I will try goggling and see what I can get
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bek Thank you for the names I managed to find some great reference for 5/6 of the armaments for the KA-52. The only one I couldn't find a good angle of the missile carrier was the VIKHR multipurpose guide missiles or the 9k121 VIKHR.

As for another 4 day progress I managed to knockout all of the armaments, as-well as both the fuel tanks still need to do a minor detail pass but majority of it is done. Still working on the 9k338 IGLA-S as my reference aren't perfect and I need to spend extra time trying to analyze the mechanics. Next time I work on it again will wrap up the final armament and begin work on the body/cockpit area start making it look more like a helicopter (but as it is know the helicopter has it deadliness)

D811IJx.jpg
    WIP knocking it out little by little the hardest of the armaments
    jyAsi2J.jpg
    6 deadly armaments attached to the tail wings, thus far it can shoot down anything
    trzr6lf.png
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Neat. IRL though it wouldn't carry both the Ataka and the Vikhr with one on each wing, pretty sure it has to be symmetrical. Just something to keep in mind for final renders. Not sure if ATGM's can go on the inner pylons either.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it was just a teaser to get all of the 6 armaments onto the tail wings, ill be doing a couple renders with different sets of layouts towards what I see in the reference. There's 1 where it carries 4 x B-8v20A Rounded Front on the 4 arnament design for a total of 80 rockets. I also seen a diff one on each side with a fuel tank at the end, so its not always symmetrical just works best when it is for aiming purposes
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I would highly recommend doing a blockout for something of this scale and complexity. I would aslo take beks advice on making a "Midpoly" or base mesh before full on highpoly as well. This way you can get your major shapes working together with very little geometry and if (when) things need to change/be adjusted, its a matter of adjusting a few points VS adjusting a dense mass of geo.

Take your nose piece for example. Lets say once you get the entire body of the craft made, it doesn't quite look right, or needs to be tweaked: In beks case, he moves maybe a couple points and the shape has drastically changed. Your version on the other hand would need a soft selection, FFD, uniform scale, etc etc to change the shape. Or move verts one by one...which would be madness.

It isn't a huge deal on simple shapes like that nose piece, but imagine the section where the wings connect to the body, or the shape where the engines are. Parts where topology gets significantly more complicated you'll see a huge difference in working with a manageable amount of geo.

"I typically don't like to work with such a low amount of poly's as I don't smooth mesh preview very often. So my non smooth version captures the full essence of the model I am modeling; this gives me enough edges to carve out any of the details I may need aswell"

Honestly, that's not good reasoning. You can always collapse subdivisions later if you need more geo to work with, *After* you've established primary and secondary forms.

"I don't smooth preview often"

.......sounds like a perfect reason to make the modeling process more difficult on yourself :poly124:

It does seem you've planned well though, and I hope to see this turn out awesome! Keep it up man. :thumbup:
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks s6, Ill def need to keep my stuff lower once I start doing concept work with just a 3/4 view to make it easier on myself

I still keep it in manageable geometry and smooth preview just to check indents and pinching (this is my med poly it enough where i can work with little extra time to move verts but it pays off latter) i dont look at it as overall quality since my support loops are added at the end so some parts are blobby. I added extra geo to carve out the door hatch and windows without having to float it, i also wanted to carve in the turret and see how much space i have to work with as that will be one of the trickest spots to get right.

Ill see how it goes for now just didnt want to run into having to little and needing to add in. I live model on polycount hangout aswell so any problems i run into ppl can see. I do plan ahead and consiser every step thanks for noticing
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress:
    Took me a little while to get my last armament modeled/placed due to only having a few reference to start then finding more (this is the 2 strelets version the helicopter I saw only supports 1 strelets. I underestimated the model and it turned out to be a full asset.

Strelets Launcher which is the mounting for Russian vehicles/helicopters/djigit hooked on is the 9k38 IGLA_S Surface to Air anti Air Rocket it the Russian version rocket for Battlefield AA US rocket which was cool halfway in noticing this will take a while but add a weapon to my portfolio if I so wanted it (also went beyond a blockout as I got carried away, but ending it with a high poly render tomorrow as a teaser)

Will be starting the body cockpit area finally, will be taking s6 advice and using the nose as a base and drawing out lower poly profile planes to work with less geo for proportions (all weapons are done, the turret is left)

88kydEn.jpg
    2UUXW2D.jpg
  • dawestsides
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice subject ,

The Ka-52 is a really cool helicopter !
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes it is, love the overall shape and the dual rotor design is nifty; cant wait till I can start seeing more of it once I start getting the bigger pieces in place
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    It looks good so far dude. And Im glad you are doing a Ka-52. Normally when I see someone modeling a Russian helicopter its a Mi-24 hind. Are you going to do the cockpit too?
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I am I got a great collection of reference for it, the only major problem is not knowing russian and there a bunch of russian symbols and slang all over the dashboard. So I will need to seek help trying to get the name correct. It wont be optimized though with the detail I am aiming for to truly push my hard surface.

To be noted I wont be getting the cockpit done by GDC trying get done as much as I can in terms of the High Poly maybe if I leave out the cockpit I can get close towards finishing and help me land a job/earn a opportunity to earn one. As for the mi-24 yeah Andre is already doing it and Reno doing the Apache so wanted to do another top attack helicopter to join the crowd (the mi-24 is also shares similar stuff to kamov)
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started work on the front nose radar holder aswell as the simshit camera mounting, will be moving onto the first cockpit seat area next go about which will also be the area where the mounting for the wheels are

vhpFYGp.jpg
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good so far, nice and clean! I've seen your progress over the last year and I have to say you've made damn good improvement as an artist :)
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tynew
    Thank you, ill need to take a break sometime and look over my progress over the short year I began my modeling - hard surface carreer. Still have leaps of improvement, will be spending this year practicing texturing/complex hard surface to practice more design (to then be able to come up with my own stuff)

Progress, I began working on the next section which is where the cockpit sit and look out the window. I am being very accurate and even spent the time to model accurate looking windshield wipers aswell as the bottom wheel which is only 75% done as i'll need next section to complete the landing gear/have it functional

As a final letdown my blueprints are not lining up and I am now modeling it without the help of the blueprints, hopefully I can still use them to pull the blockout. Looks like the artist picked a early prototype version with a latest version on the top/front and also miss-drew the curves not following the actual shape. Along with general missmatch on all 3

Will be going back to my gun and wrapping it up to give myself a full week crunch on this to push as progress as I can before GDC
    k37DgSQ.jpg
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress Update:
    Wasn't able to finish it as I had to fix some blueprints errors the past 2 days towards the correct shape. Still need to connect the engine blocks towards the frame of the helicopter as-well as do the Rotor/inside cockpit which will all be pre-gdc at this point. Enjoy cya at GDC

5Zoc0WF.jpg
    Y9sPEXx.jpg
    r8co2Fe.jpg
    s9IcYty.jpg
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress Update:
    Hey everyone back on the wagon modeling my helicopter as I continue to look for work, currently testing my luck at Dice and trying to get the helicopter done by end of month but not rushing it.

Started working on the exhaust frame and connected the tail-wings in place; the next couple of days I will be adding the gap for the rotor/exhaust pipe and connecting the back so there no gap. Cant wait

3oSmJYW.jpg
    txAQV9M.jpg
    k3ebRVW.jpg
    hasBBGW.jpg
  • Sir Apple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple polycounter lvl 8
    At a quick glance you have a lot of messy/pinching looking areas in your geo in almost every photo. Additionally some areas just look way to soft and fluffy, which is hurting the over all forms and definition of certain shapes and details on the helicopter. Its important not to go overboard with soft hires edges, or you'll end up with awkward marshmallow edges.

Just be sure to clean that stuff up :thumbup:
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah I forgot to mention I haven't added any support loops in a lot of areas, most of the topology is just to capture the essence. I did move out of blockout stage and gearing into my high poly model.

But yeah one of my drawbacks when I present is I don't like dealing with additional loops so its all added at the end
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress: Wanted to finalize the frame with the exhaust port on the engine blocks but wanted to fix some of the sub-d pinching and setup some progress renders today. Thus far I managed to finalize the rear wheel compartment just need to do the rear wheel I have a great collage of images setup to model the rear wheel mechanics in full/operational

Will finalize the full frame by next post and begin working on the rotor

LFAcS0d.jpg
    P2bn0K1.jpg
    ytcK7tx.jpg
  • MooseCommander
    Absolutely fantastic so far. Can't wait to see the final textured version and how you tackle the rotor.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MooseCommander

Thanks :), I will be deploying Andre Cantarel method when tackling the rotor in breaking it up and modeling just 1/4 of it for each rotor mount. I already have the images I need setup will definitely need to find more but it will be as detailed from how much information I can pull from the images.

KA-52 Rotor Collage

As of currently I am taking a small brake and relaxing my mind as I been modeling it for the past 45 days without doing much of anything else, thus I started a PKM. Just simple weapon as I wanted to practice more texturing especially wood/strong wear; I am on day 7 out of 10 I allocated for the High Poly will get back to the chopper after finishing the HP (I also wanted to gauge how fast I could make a weapon cutting the time spent on my AR15 a month to 3 weeks).

No luck finding a job (as its mostly senior positions) so trying to boost my portfolio with a another textured model as the Helicopter is going to take abit. I will be working on the PKM every now and then as it not a priority piece

Progress finished the fuselage and working on the rotor, I modeled any compartments that actually has a opening and will do the paneling and bolts on the low poly normal.

Marmoset Viewer Model Presentation

JzJdRN2.jpg
    BFg0Cyw.jpg
    LH9AZgI.jpg
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Looking really good Alex! The detail you put into this is awesome!
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Very nice was that finished?
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,

Wanted to post an update. In March ill be going back and doing a full detailed pass; sticking to what Reno Levi has done with his Apache.

@NAIMA No, I finished the main proportions for him and just needed to begin the rotor. I began working so it got put on hold as I develop my skills further.

Looking at it now, it at a good block out stage I can use this to begin the paneling/refine detailed. It will no longer be a game mesh (ill have more fun then limiting myself). I'll tackle it in small pieces and refine the details
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    i'm glad that you back to him!