Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Survivor

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
X³²Lapis polycounter lvl 10
Hello,

Decided to work on a new piece although I've been working on it a little bit now.

basically trying to make like a "starting character" or newbie to a zombie apocalypse setting world or just like dystopia like DayZ or The division or something and something.

I tried to draw a concept kind of what I want as well as tried to do some hard surface stuff which is my weak points. I'm not too sure if I want try and turn it into a game model, although I don't have much experience with this it would be good practice.

Concept
characterdesignconcept_03_wip.jpg

Pistol
cz75p01_wip_05.jpg

I'm pretty sure a lot of the edges are too sharp and will probably have to go in and round them more so they read from a distance.

zbrushhead_02.jpg

The head was worked off my X23 piece so may look a bit similar

character_wip_01.jpg

Probably will shorten her arms as well as beef up the size of her legs and feet.

character_wip_03.jpg

Didn't like the fold on the back so I redid it. Also I probably will go back and scar up her face, add more history and make her a bit more gaunt. Suppose to be a starting character but history will add more interest. Probably will go back to rework the scarf sometime mainly the upper part just looks like a tube.

cheers

Replies

• Sculptaur
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmc8bQoL-J0"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmc8bQoL-J0[/ame]

:D

Looks good Matt, Did you use Marvelous Designer for the cloth or did you just sculpt it?
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Looks awesome especially the head, only thing throwing it off for me is the fact she's tapering inward the lower down the body you look, its like her legs are super skinny, their proportions could use looking at. Keep it up!
  • X³²Lapis
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculptaur: haha, thanks Chevy nah I sculpted it. But I have thought of maybe using it for reference. I'm lucky with this one that I just took photos of myself wearing something similar for reference.

Torch: Hey ya Buddy, you are definitely right I actually remembering seeing it and thinking it was like camera perspective or something but looking at it more and more she is tapering. But yeah I think I need to beef them up
  • tristanCarter
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    I would like to see you mess around with some proportions on the head. Certain features still look too similar to your X23 design. I'd widen or shorten the width of the nose, maybe even give it some more asymmetry in the primary and secondary. You could mess a little bit with the shape of the eyelids, jawline, and a couple other things a little more. You could give her a rounder face, or a slightly stronger jaw. If it were me, I'd go down to around the 3rd or 4th subdivision level and delete everything above that and rework the forms into something new.

It looks like you've got a great start on the clothes etc, but I do agree with what you want to do. Her legs definitely need to be altered, and her arms should be brought in closer to her body and shortened. I suspect that currently the palm of her hand would rest below the grip of the handgun. It's current placement would likely have the palm of the hand rest right on it, or slightly above it. The only other thing I might take a look at is the material the shirt underneath is made out of as some of those folds don't read too well.

So far it's a great start and I can't wait to see what it ends up looking like.
  • X³²Lapis
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter: You're right I need to push the face more, I think I'll come back to the face later when I have fresh eyes. It's hard for me I try something that I think could be interesting but then I think...........damn she looks kind of ugly now and then undo maybe I need to find a middle ground area.
  • X³²Lapis
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to get back into this piece have been struggling with it though. Just chipping away at it slowly

character_wip_05.jpg

character_wip_04.jpg

jacketwip_01.jpg
  • programmer23
    Offline / Send Message
    programmer23 polycounter lvl 6
    That fabric looks fantastic, do you mind giving a little breakdown of how you achieved that look?
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Sweeeet jacket wrinkles !! I been trying to achieve that material definition, but I can't !! It's crisp and sharp, it looks weighted and firm, it doesn't look too thick yet not too thin fabric +.+ Whaaa whaaa wahhhh. *fan-girling the jacket*
  • X³²Lapis
    Offline / Send Message
    programmer23: Thank buddy. I don't think I did anything too special, mainly just using standard brush,Clay brush and the Trim Dynamic.

Not to sure how to break it down, I guess I try to focus on plane changes. I usually cut in or bring out the cloth with standard brush and try and connect up the planes with Trim Dynamic and Clay Brush. Sorry not much of a explanation

PyrZern: Thanks, yea this material has been a real #!)(& to try and achieve. Been struggling with it for a while, I think just find good reference and chip away at it.

My reference was like a mash of different jackets and you can kind of tell the left and right arms don't look consistent. So I will have to keep chipping away at it.
  • X³²Lapis
    Offline / Send Message
    Need to do some clean up as well as the rest of the detail. Should move onto the pants as well since I'm starting to tunnel vision the jacket

jacketwip_02.jpg
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Good job on the cloth sculpting, looks really nice!
    Just to nitpick, the diaper fold on the back of her shirt looks too intense. Other than that good job, looking forward to seeing more!
  • MGM
    Offline / Send Message
    MGM polycounter lvl 12
  • X³²Lapis
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally getting back into this character. I decided to start streaming my work on her to give me more focus. I live in New Zealand so I have some random stream times. So if you are interested hope to see you there

So I tried Marvelous Designer for the pants it looked good but still not really what I wanted so I ended up sculpting it from scratch.

I spent time on the head but it's still not finished also I've finally done with the bag but I will probably go back over it just for small stuff.

wip_05.jpg
  • Grogbar
    Offline / Send Message
    Grogbar polycounter lvl 4
  • XemnasKH
    Also a little suggestion for you, when you post stuff later on if you could put your reference image next to your model it would make it easier to give crits. That way people don't have to keep scrolling up and down. Other than that this is coming along nicely, keep it up.
  • X³²Lapis
    Offline / Send Message
    XemnasKH: Do you mean like the concept art? good point

Had fun doing another stream and finally got to give her bag straps and a machete.

wip_06.jpg
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Nice job so far. Looks like you know what you're doing. Improving on the concept too. Looking forward to see more of this!