Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

the *ART JAM* - please join in :)

Replies

• LordSebbington
    Offline / Send Message
    LordSebbington polycounter lvl 6
    So I've just noticed that head crabs have relatively cute back feet. Like little wrinkly puppies that just want to lick your face.

Here's a spitter from Left 4 Dead 2

Sn8zYM3.jpg
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    @LordSebbington: hehe gross Seb!
    @Xane: nice headcrab! I like the skin detailing you gave it.

Here's my second headcrab re-design, this time it has been more inspired by frogs and toads.

hCrab_froad_1.2k.jpg

Well tomorrow is a new Art Jam, so thanks to everyone who took part! It might not have been the busiest Art Jam post wise, but I still had a lot of fun! I'm also aware that a lot of people actually make things for the Art Jam but don't post it because they don't feel it is good enough. That's fine, I hope they enjoyed the Art Jam too!

I believe katana is picking the next theme, so stay tuned and be sure to check this thread on Friday!
  • Xane
    Offline / Send Message
    Xane polycounter lvl 6
    Cheers Paul. Nice work guys. Shame there wasn't more things posted as this was my first ever post on Polycount. May be busy with uni stuff soon but looking forward to getting involved with future art jams and the like. As some of these things aren't finished do you think we'll see them down the road?
  • yannage
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 1 & 2

ART JAM - FRIDAY 18October2013 - 31October2013

This theme will run for two weeks. There will be no sub-themes.

Don't worry about every little nuance trying to 'get it right'. Do what you can...post as you go and post often!

And most importantly... Have Fun!

With this Art Jam...you are challenged to make FOOD! Yep, food or food monsters or food environment pieces...whichever you prefer. If you haven't seen the movies (I haven't watched 2 yet), that's O.K. too, just look at the reference and make something that would fit within the world.

Since I nearly forgot I had to post the Jam today...I'll get some more reference up later today.

Want to do something in 2D? Go for it!

Best of Luck!

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 1

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    From the movie...Bananostrich wip

Bananostrichwip_zps84187444.jpg
  • gandoza
    crazyfool wrote: »
    great start everyone :)

Torch - looking good, look forward to seeing your cloth
    Hatred - recognised him straight away, keep it up
    Stromberg90 - I want one haha
    g2000 - cant wait :)

heres a 30 minute scribble from last night, still early on

tp_dishonored_v001.jpg
    i actually really like the design. It has it's own personality.
  • LordSebbington
    Offline / Send Message
    Art Jam 1st November - 14th November

MONSTERS

09eba42554934968dc9a3f2f5e59fdfb.jpg

- CLICK FOR A BIT OF INSPIRATION

Halloween may be behind us but let's take the time to enjoy a wee lull before the console storm. On top of that TellTale recently released the trailer for season 2 of The Walking Dead. So with those two in mind we'll keep this Jam quite general - Any monsters, enemies or even possessed inanimate objects from any source you can think of.

As usual, 2D and 3D is welcome.
    Feel free to post any Work In Progress shots on this thread.
    PM me if you have any queries.

walking-dead-2-clementine-01.jpg?w=1400&h=
  • cgartland
    Offline / Send Message
    cgartland polycounter lvl 4
    Decided to go way outside my comfort zone on a creature study
    Inspired by fightpunch's Substrata Dude

Just getting started, we'll see how well I can work off his concept.
    5LxSNc6.png
  • LordSebbington
    Offline / Send Message
    That's great, looking forward to seeing how this comes along.

Also nice to see someone else appreciates birds with arms.
  • jacob thomas
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob thomas polycounter lvl 9
    @cgartland, great start! I was actually going to do the same one after I finished my current project. Hope you smash it.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Inspired by the Talented Devon Cady-Lee!
    Cerberus: 15th Update 6th (short) day - damn saxxy videos! - Updating as i go for anyone watching.:poly121:
    zvul.jpg
    Click image for the reference / Concept.
    Better late than ever for a monster post & hella rough, c&C welcome.

This will be a bigger than average project for me because for some reason I loved this image for a while now and I finally started today. ;) Just bumping this thread up a bit I guess. Also been a while eh? I haven't posted in forever at least it feels like it.

Keep going cgartland!
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Here's my entry, based of Silent Hill's 'Smog'.

horror_wip_03_final.jpg
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    ART JAM - FRIDAY 15TH NOVEMBER - 28TH NOVEMBER

BATTLE CREATURES

Creature Inspiration:

Pokadex
    Pokemon Concept Art
    Monster Hunter Concept Art
    Digimon Art
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Art

After the huge success and popularity of the Pokemon X & Y games, I thought it would be fun to make some Battle Creatures! You could sculpt your favorite pokemon, or maybe make one up of your own? Maybe you want to take on more dangerous, like a Dragon from Monster Hunter? You could even go old-school, and re-create something from Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh!. Feel free to make your own creations too!

Chespin-Fennekin-Froakie-X-and-Y_1024x768.jpg

Monster_Hunter_3_Tri_wallpaper_Barioth.jpg
  • MattQ86
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Nice Sandshrew MattQ86!

I saw a really cool link on Facebook earlier and thought I would share for some more Pokemon inspiration! 152 different Pokemon made by various Brazilian artists. Some really interesting styles in here!

http://www.behance.net/gallery/152-Brazilian-Artists-Pokedex-Project/12251957
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Here's a WIP of my Dedenne, had a little spare time after work to relax and sculpt :)

dedenne_wip_02.jpg
  • LordSebbington
    Offline / Send Message
    @Paul: Awesome work there and I'm really digging the presentation.
    @D4v1DC: Did you just start that or is it an ongoing project? Damn impressed if you busted that out just for the Jam. Even if you didn't I'm really liking it.
    @CGArtland: There's still time to post up any work or updates you have. We're onto the new Art Jam but there's nothing wrong with showing us how a piece is going after the fact.

Here's my regrettably belated Art Jam pieces:

kLZXD8l.jpg

sO6M4xq.jpg
    INSPIRATION

From here I'm going to have to go for either the original 152 pok
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    It is now an on going project, I started it out for the jam on the last day lol(so late) and it just happen that I fell in love with the concept so I guess it just shows in the sculpt. :)

Thanks for the kind words here is the thread for it:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128217
    If anyone is interested in any more of it or the process I went through.

I wanna do a cool pokemon now ;) just to give myself a break and give people a chance to comment on what they might see wrong with my sculpt.

Cute pokemons guys, can't wait to pick on, I am fond of mewtwo cause he had cool armors at one point.
  • kcla
    Offline / Send Message
    kcla polycounter lvl 7
    Only got a couple of hours free this week, but here'e a WIP of my favorite Pokemon, Marowak.
    0ddc656b6868211d315f1b637e42f523?AccessKeyId=266A5FE217AD10AF9886&disposition=0
    Marowak.gif
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, Awesome pokemons everyone loving them all.

I started on one that was more complicated and found out it was a fake. :(
    So I found an easy one for now maybe I will make more soonish.

dbjr.jpg
    Since I said I would here's goomy!
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the pickle Seb...:)

I didn't grow up during the Pokemon generation, but I always liked the little characters, so I'll see what i can do between studio time.
  • DarkOneHa
    Decided to do a quick sculpt of this Yu-Gi-Oh! card with cartoony shaders like in Pokemon X and Y:
    300px-GhostrickSpecter-SHSP-EN-C-1E.png
    M6GyJpJ.png
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    @LordSebbington: Nice monster! I like the stitching down his chest and the screws coming out his shoulders.
    @kcla: Cool Marowak, you going to give him his bone?
    @D4V1VC: hehe I like Goomy, he's a weird looking fellow! I think I captured him in X, but thought he was a sort of joke pokemon xp
    @DarkOneHa: I'm glad someone is representing Yu-Go-Oh!, used to love that show when I was younger :)

Here's my Pokemon, Dedenne. He was sculpted & rendered in ZBrush and the background was painted in Photoshop. I tried to create a similar style to that of Pokemon X & Y.

dedenne_wip_07.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    6w9w.jpg
    (updated image)
    Hope this works had some very odd issues with ISP not allowing me to upload images, when I've been doing it all week... weird.

Anyway this is a full character of someone else's concept, I think he fits in well as a fire pokemon so that is what I am going for him. Also trying a new style out while I work on him I kind of like but it does take time since I am doing it all manually and don't know many tricks.

Nice work Paul, I love the scene, darkon hey that came out great. :)
    Hope to see some more pokey's poking about in here soon.
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll put this out there now. How does "Lightcycles" sound for the next challenge?

or "Robot Boxers"?
  • kcla
    Offline / Send Message
    kcla polycounter lvl 7
    @PaulP time allowing, that's the plan.
  • jaydon
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    Here is what i have been working on this past week, Nidoking based on the amazing art of Arvalis. Having a hard time translating it to 3D, especially those neck folds. but still hopefully looking good :)

u6ZymcC.jpg

original:
    http://arvalis.deviantart.com/art/Nidoking-325848056
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    LIGHTCYCLES!

ART JAM - FRIDAY 29November2013 - 12December2013

This theme will run for two weeks. There will be no sub-themes.

Don't worry about every little nuance trying to 'get it right'. Do what you can...post as you go and post often!

And most importantly... Have Fun!

With this Art Jam...you are challenged to make a LightCycle. It can be a representation of one from Tron or a completely new design. As long as it looks cool and made from the same technology then go for it. Heck you can even try to make one from a different genre, as long as it's recognized as a Lightcycle.

So put your wrenches to the test and let's see what you got.

Want to do something in 2D? Go for it!

Best of Luck!

Lightcycles_zpse04c0901.jpg

Seb has informed me, I am a day early...Sorry about that...Got mixed up on my calender...anyway, finish the Pokemon stuff...This Jam starts tomorrow.

Sorry for jumping the gun Paul. :)
  • kcla
    Offline / Send Message
    kcla polycounter lvl 7
    Late post, here is my final Marowak. Noy properly posed or rendered, but hey. I jammed.
    ef962ca8b09ef9a54fd18796eef63c07?AccessKeyId=266A5FE217AD10AF9886&disposition=0&alloworigin=1
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    Kcla Awesome :) so freaking cute!
    jdon: that is looking really good, going to add in the fur/spikes?

Dreaded T-pose though something else has taken my attention at the moment so for now these two jams are on hold.
    Behold the secret pokemon: Fire Snarfsnarf:
    zllx.jpg
    Yu-Ga-Fire? :poly136::poly142:
    Yes, I cheated with photoshop bg and flames and stuffs.

Original concept and artist:
    http://jevsy.deviantart.com/art/snarf-snarf-245994836

Nice jaming peeps also light cycles bout time we got some vehicle stuff going on. :)

Update!
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    @jaydon: Nice realistic interpretation of Nidoking, I really like the facial expression and pose!

@kcla: Great work, glad you finished this one off, looks very cool! And don't worry you weren't late, the battle creatures art jam is running till the end of today (Thursday).

@D4V1DC: Hehe Snarf as a fire pokemon, nice twist!

If anyone is running late with their entry feel free to post whenever, and thanks for everybody who got involved, we had some really fun entries!

This is the last Art Jam I'll be hosting, at least for a while, so thanks for everyone who's gotten involved with the Jams, it's been very enjoyable creating with you guys! LordSebbington and katana will keep things going so keep checking in for new and exciting art jams in the future :)
  • Celador
    Vei8aII.jpg

Ladies and mentlegen, the Aries™© UniLightCycle℠®
  • nikudy
    Offline / Send Message
    nikudy polycounter lvl 13
    Hy guys, just discovered this thread and love it.

Let's begin:

ryww.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got a build going too..in Solidworks. Not sure where I'm heading with it...just feeling out the flow.

Lightcycle_zps8b7a2a31.jpg
  • Spatz
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    lightcycles are too cool ...here is a quickie from me :)

spatz_lightcycle_render01.jpg
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    Slow progress, but i think i know where I'm heading now.

Lightcycle_zpsd80a98c3.jpg
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    lovin those lightcycles!

heres my contribution to the pokemon/monster hunter jam. This one is from the monster hunter illustrations book.

monsterhunterjam1.jpg

monsterhunterjam2.jpg
  • LordSebbington
    Offline / Send Message
    The new Art Jam theme is:

Wasteland

Dec 13th - Dec 26th

This is coming off the back of the Fallout 4 rumours, the announcement of Telltale's Tales From The Borderlands and to a lesser extent, Burial At Sea and Dead Rising 3.

(Personally I'm not buying the Fallout rumours but I'm a fan boy, so any excuse works for me really)

So you can cobble together a custom weapon, show us a twisted enemy, build a whole Vault or just depict your own personal post apocalpyse survival kit. You get the idea - let your imagination run off screaming into the dusty horizon.

As usual, 2D and 3D work is welcome and WIPs are encouraged.

1zboGyLh.jpg
    fallout3-shot1.jpg
  • PaperTig3rs
    Offline / Send Message
    PaperTig3rs polycounter lvl 3
    8TXkkfK.jpg

I have a bit of a idea with what I'm going to do with this...
  • papercliphouse
    Hey Polycount Art Jammers! I've been a member here for a little while, but just stumbled upon this thread recently. I love brushing some Zs and I'm a little sad I missed the fighting monsters challenge. Hopefully I can sculpt out something cool for this Wasteland theme.

Reference_zps815a23a3.png

This will only be a bust, but it might be ambitious for the two week time frame, we'll see. Catch you on the flipside!
  • PaperTig3rs
    Offline / Send Message
    K6rxd7i.jpg

Update. Don't know if I am diggin' the crack. Might leave that to texture.
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    So I thought I would make this my weekend project! I have finished the high!

LFGGeYj.png
  • papercliphouse
    @SaferDan Awesome work! I like the way they're welded together!

@PaperTig3rs Looks like a good start, I think you should keep the crack. Maybe widen it up and add some support cracks.

Here's my progress. I'm not done blocking in yet, at a point where I should probably start posting WIP shots. It's all sculpted from scratch or built within Zbrush, no base meshes.QueenOfTheWaste_zps9bd57f48.png
  • Tree-Turtle
    Okay, post-apocalyptic! I'm still very new to modeling and texturing, but this could be a great way to gain some experience! For my model, I will be creating a shotgun that looks patched-up and dirty; simple enough, I suppose.Eu64eh5.jpg
    So, do you all think I should start off making a low-poly, seeing as I am a beginner and all, or should I just jump right into high-poly and have the time of my life working with subdivision stuff?
  • papercliphouse
    @Tree-Turtle: I suggest you try the high poly! This is seems to be a good place to experiment.

I got a little further on my sculpt, I'm dubbing her Queen of the Waste! She stole the German WWI helmet from a wrecked museum and found the Lacrosse goggles. The mouth guard isn't authentic Japanese samurai, it's just a motorcycle face mask.QueenOfTheWaste_02_zps667fd42b.png
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    papercliphouse - ha thats awesome! Love the mismatch of stuff! That mask is scary!

baked my machete down, changed the design so it makes more sense! Just playting with materials and stuff in marmo2!

idpJly7.png
  • Tree-Turtle
    @SaferDan, what did you do to get those scratches and dents in the blade? Is that done with a sculpting tool?
  • PaperTig3rs
    Offline / Send Message
    eOtaUTA.jpg

Thanks @papercliphouse. I was thinking along the same lines with the crack. It's looks better. Still picking away at my scene.

Looking good @papercliphouse :)
  • LordSebbington
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, you guys are on it! I've been catching up on festive tasks this weekend so you've all beaten me to the punch.

PaperTig3rs: I'm liking where this is heading and I'm liking the WIPs. The bars (to the sewer?) are a nice touch. I'll probably try join you on a small environment too.

Safer Dan: Wow, that was quick. Maybe try throw some more scratches on if that's an option in Marmoset 2. Just heading down to a hardware store would to create a beast of a weapon would definitely be one of the more enjoyable parts of the apocalypse.

papercliphouse: I'm really digging that armour medley. As though you're passing a museum and think, "Sod it, nobody's using that stuff now. Don't mind if I do." I'm really glad you've been specific about where each piece com,es from. When I do environments I always need to write a mini back story for context.

TreeTurtle: It sounds like you want to dive into the high poly and Paperclip's right, this is where you can do anything you like and it's all good. I'd recommend you have a basic block in first to keep you on track and then go nuts on the high poly.