Home Dota 2

hamstocks Workshop Thread

hamstocks
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
hamstocks polycounter lvl 5
hamstocks Workshop Thread

Hello all! I haven't posted in a while, but I'm currently working on some stuff, and decided to finally make a workshop thread. I'm hoping to do some sets, but right now I'm just doing some single items. I'll be posting any concepts, models, progress, or even ideas that I come up with.

Right now I have a few items in the workshop, but most of them... well, suck. :) I'm going to try and improve my skills, mainly sculpting and texturing/painting. So anyway, stay tuned if you like!

For now, I'm working on a Phantom Assassin weapon. Below are a few concepts I drew up. I'm basing the weapon of her ability Stifling Dagger, and its icon. Here they are:

p5rPrzD.png

Sorry for the quality, I took the picture with my laptop camera.
Anyway, tell me what you think, which one I should go ahead with, criticism, etc.

Thanks!

Replies

• hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, made a little progress on the phantom assassin weapon. Workin on the high poly right now, so here's what I got:

cy4YGW0.png

Kg1BEoo.png

And here's a mockup beside her model:

x97wB6k.png

Tell me what you think, and any suggestions you may have.
    Thanks!
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
    Are you going to use zbrush to do a little sculpting like add a leatherish handle and some scratches on the blade?

but so far it looks good :D
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mohsen oh yeah, I just haven't gotten there yet. :) also, I don't have zbrush, I use blender for modeling, sculpting, etc. I'm glad you like though!
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah i see, but you are aware that blender uses more of you computer's resources when sculpting right?

And maybe you could take a look at this free sculpting program by the same people who made zbrush: http://pixologic.com/sculptris/

It's also pretty well made for beginners, but i dont think you really are one :)
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, thanks Mohsen! I am actually pretty new to 3D modeling, specifically sculpting. I'll take that as a compliment then :) definitely checking out sculptris though
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all, it's been a pretty long time since I've posted anything, or worked on anything for that matter. So, I'm working on a set for elder titan nowadays. I think the name will be Elder Titan's Broken Soul set, which is based off of his lore. Anyway, here is a VERY early concept. The details haven't been fleshed out at all, just some of the main shapes and whatnot.

nUMopo3.png

Like I said, it's rough. The details aren't there yet, but you can kind of see my idea. Maybe... I don't know :) Anyway, criticism/suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks

**EDIT**

I'm back again, this time with some changes and details added. I really just put the chest piece and bracer down to have something, but they just had to go. They didn't fit, and were pretty generic.

So I painted some details and value on the head and shoulders, and I really like how it's turning out.

8zy43vx.png

So yeah, tell me what you think so far, and stay tuned for more updates.
    Thanks again.
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello polycount, I haven't forgotten about this concept, I just haven't had much time to work lately. But I had some time today, so I did a little work to it.

o8gBYhj.png

So I added the scarf/cloth around his neck, as well as the bracer. They both still need some more work, but I like the cloth idea. The bracer, well, that could change. It really just depends on if I get any better ideas :) So anyway, let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions/ideas.

Thanks
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    What's up polycount! Although I haven't done any modeling or painting lately, I did manage to draw a couple concepts for weapons. I drew a club for bristleback, which is based off his skill "Viscous Nasal Goo". The club is pretty much a thick pile of said goo on a rope and handle :) What I think would be really cool is if it could somehow be bubbling... like animated so it jiggles or something. Don't really think this could be done, but it's just a thought.

The other one is a blade for chaos knight. It's based off his skill "chaos bolt". I personally can't do custom particles, not sure if you can even make them for dota, but I think this blade would need them to look really sweet. The particles would kind of look like what's in the skill icon for chaos bolt, which is what the drawing is based on.

Enough chatter:

O1rEybC.jpg

As you can see, they are both pretty rough, but sort of convey the skill icons... sort of. That's what I was going for, don't know if you guys see the same thing that I do, but I think these could be pretty gnarly, if the effects could be pulled off. I guess they could still be cool without the effects.

I don't know, tell me what you think, and give me any criticisms you have.
    Thanks!
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Offline / Send Message
    for the BB weapon, i dont think it will match up with the attack sound (Sounds more blunt like a stone hitting something)
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply Mohsen, I definitely see what you're saying. Maybe I could make it like crystalized or something... I don't know, I'll see what I can do with it.
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all, I figured I would post an early shot of the omniknight set concept I'm working on. I'm not planning on modeling this one, so when it's done someone can have a go at modeling it, if anyone wants to.

BqU96zl.png

Right now, I only have the hair and shoulders (partly done). Also, don't pay attention to the low res face... I couldn't seem to get the face texture on the model, so I just enlarged a picture of his face and put it there for now.

Anyway, the direction I'm leaning toward for the set is some heavy/beefy armor, but still classy, or fashionable. That's why I went for the short, upturned haircut. So yeah, that's what I'm going for, if you want to, keep a lookout for more progress and detail.

Thanks.
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I'm back, I just worked on the shoulders a little bit, and pretty much just cleaned them up and made them actually look metal.

SAMpoqD.png

So, now I'm going to start working on the bracers and the cape, so keep an eye out for those. Any critiques are welcome, and if you want to model it when it's done, just let me know.

Thanks.

***EDIT***

Im back again, just a quick color change, and added some bracers. I mocked them up along with the hair on omniknight, just to see how it looks.

2usjjHQ.png

**Oh, and like I said earlier, don't mind the face. for some reason, when I imported it into blender and put the texture on the base model, the face was left untextured... I don't even know.

I really like how its coming along, I just need to add some detail to the hair, and make the cape and weapon. I'm not yet sure what I'm going to do for either of those, but I'm sure I'll think of something.

So anyway, that's the update, tell me what you think so far.
    Thanks.
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    So I came up with a cape, didn't like it, and started over. This is what I have now:

L86z6bM.png

The cape still needs some work, and I need to do the weapon. I have a few ideas for it, but haven't started on it yet.

And on a side note, I know the red is too bright and saturated, but I'm going to do color editing and that stuff when all the pieces are done; it will be easier that way.
  • Todestomate
    Do you want to keep the hair? It looks a bit like that Elvis-greaser-style and I am not sure if it fits with the rest of the concept. Party on the head, smashing-innocent-creeps everywhere else :)
    I like the rest, but I think you could add a bigger belt or mail or guards for the side of the legs, as the bottom part looks extremely slim compared to the big-ass shoulder guards and bracers.
    Also, the default model of the crotch that can be seen looks really undefined, so I think it would be better to cover it up.
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply man! I really like the hair, but I might do a helmet or something... I don't know yet. I definitely see what you mean with the legs/belt. I'll try to do something with chainmail for the legs, to beef it up a bit. As well as cover up the undefined crotch with another piece of cloth, or chainmail. Thanks a lot for your input!
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm back with a few changes to the set. I changed the leg armor to something a little more beefy, or armored if you will, so that it fit more with the rest of the set. And I also added another piece of cloth in the front, to kind of cover it up a bit.

JQwZKEs.png

I just got a picture of chainmail and threw it in there, mainly because my painting skills aren't that good, and it's only a concept so it really just needs to convey the idea. I definitely think the leg armor looks better, and fits much better with the overall theme.

Also, don't mind the other pictures in there, I was using them for reference. I also started working on a design for the hammer, so I'm going to try to work on that some more, in order to finish the set.

So anyway, tell me what you think, any ideas you have, etc...
    Thanks.
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    Just back to post one of the hammer beside him, had a little time so I just did a basic blockout and paintover of the hammer.

EKz7cqk.png
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    cool progress! Right now I think the silhouette is a little bit bland and safe, try to think of how to push the silhouette to be something really unique! Think about materials (what can you use other than metal to create impact?), color (how can I deviate from the color scheme to create interest, but remain recognizable), and why you're creating a certain form (why is the hair the way it is? Is there a specific intention for the hair being that way? Tie everything together!). Keep it up!
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks a lot for the comment! I see what you mean, its definitely not the most interesting design. When I get a chance, I'll probably do some thumbnail silhouettes to try and nail down a more interesting or unique silhouette and overall design. Thanks again for you input!
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    No problem! Thumbnail silhouettes are a really good idea to crank out a bunch of designs quick, highly recommend you do 20-30 of them (initial ideas are almost always throwaways, but once you've done so many designs you can start to see what you like, what's worth keeping, and what can be tossed!)
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, I mean, right now I'm kinda focusing on my unreal tournament contest theme, but I'll try to get some thumbnails done soon, and get to redoing the concept.
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    What's up polycount, it's been quite a while since my last post. I felt like concepting a set, so I started designing a set for leshrac. I feel like his workshop needs a little love, and I just enjoy playing him. So anyway, I'm kind of stuck at the moment... I got an idea for his head, so I did that, but I don't know where to go with it now.

t84BJFA.png

I want to incorporate that blue-green gradient from his hands on his shoulders and back maybe, but I'm just not sure what's going there at the moment. I kind of want to base the concept around senses/knowledge, and maybe include another eye or something somewhere... If you guys have any ideas, let me know, I'll continue working on it to try and get it done.

I'm not planning on modeling it myself, so if anyone wants to collab let me know. Blender has been really slow lately anyway...

Tell me what you think, and any suggestions you have. Thanks!
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been trying to finish this leshrac set concept, but I just cant think of any good ideas. My friend gave me the idea to do like some sort of crystal wings, so I tried that, and I guess it looks ok, but I think it would look pretty bad in game... seeing as there's no animation for his back.

original:
    6imLTIL.png

alternate coloring:
    ZMeXOxs.png

I tried varying the color as well, to make it a little more subtle. And I still haven't thought of anything for the shoulders.

Opinions and suggestions are welcome, and i'll try to come up with some ideas for the shoulders and what not. Thanks
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    What's up everyone, I guess I've been living under a rock or something, because I just saw that you can submit emoticons to the workshop... yea, I'm pretty late to the game here, but I decided to make an emoticon for troll warlord.

It's based of his line "I'll pry your eyes from your skull."

AtR6bIi.png

JSIdckk.gif

0hbCnad.gif

I tried submitting it to the workshop, but dota was acting really weird, and froze up my computer when I tried to preview it... I'm not sure what the deal was with that, but I'll probably try again later.

Anyway, I hope you like it, Thanks!
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    haha sorry, I couldn't help it!
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    So I made another emoticon... I'm becoming addicted! This one is for skywrath mage, and is based off his line "You've thought this through?" It's like he's puzzled, because he doesn't think you really thought it through, and then he laughs at your poor decision...

gjOSycu.png

R6iMTnn.gif

U97Jytx.gif

I'm going to try submitting the other one as well as this one. hopefully dota doesn't crash again
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    needs more contrast!
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the reply spudnik, I definitely agree. I might go back and fix it, I might not. I realized you need to put in banking/tax information to submit to the workshop, and I don't have a job, and don't pay any taxes... so I cant really submit anything anymore. it kind of kills the motivation
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    You don't have to have a job to have tax info, you need social security number 9usa), bank info. Most banks will give you a savings account basically for free, you might have to deposit a few dollars.
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    yea, I have a savings account already, but I'm not too keen on giving them my social security numbers... I don't know, I might just do it at some point
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Man, I sure as hell should get my TIN stuff in order...
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    TIN?... im not really sure what you mean
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    I'm not from USA, hence no SSN, so I need to apply either for an EIN or ITIN to pay US taxes.
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, okay, I see what you mean. that sounds like a real hassle