Home Technical Talk

Xnormal bleeding maps

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
travisdreams polycounter lvl 6
im having weird problem when using xnormals.

i've done some polypaint in zbrush so i wanted to use the polypaint and bake it into a lower poly object.

though the thing is the low poly is one entire mesh and the polypainted objects are 2 subtools in zbrush.

i use PUV tiles, and export the 2 subtools with their texture from polypaint and bring it into xnormals

i put the 2 exported subtools into the high with the base texture to bake option

then the lowpoly mesh into the low.

the problem is when i generate with the base texture to bake option. after it completes, some of the 2nd subtool's polypaint will bleed onto the 1st subtool's polypaint. im guessing it's because it's in the way when it projects it or something?

should i have just one subtool and texture in the high and generate it, then do it again for the 2nd subtool and put it together in photoshop? because this'll be a pain if i have to do this for a character with a larger amount of subtools. here's an object that has this problem:

Treasure_Chest_Presentation_Page2+copy.jpg

as you can see the 2nd subtool (the lock) gets some of it's polypaint projected onto the other subtool of the treasure chest.

any suggestions?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Can you explode the pieces and bake them?
  • travisdreams
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you explode the pieces and bake them?

what do you mean? like bake the pieces individually subtool by subtool? because that's what i've been doing but it's very tedious putting like ...15 polypaint bakes into 1 file unless theres just a simpler way?

the process i did for the subtool by subtool was i exported each subtool that's been PUV tiled in zbrush with the polypaint texture file

then i put the one lowpoly model in the low res tab of xnormal

put the ONE subtool in the high res tab of xnormal, then bake the polypaint for that one subtool....then i do this for EVERY subtool O_o which is quite tedious.

but when i put EVERY subtool with their polypaint texture in the high res, and i bake it into the lowpoly, i get that weird projected polypaint on a face that's behind another face apparently?
  • EarthQuake
    Create a set of keyframes, and simply move each highpoly and lowpoly chunk apart so they no longer intersect, and then bake it all at once.

If you're exporting to xnormal, make sure the "exploded" version is on keyframe 0.
  • travisdreams
    Offline / Send Message
    ohhh wow, thats a very interesting method, so i can export the exploded highs and lows to xnormals and bake them all at once then at like frame 1 where it's not exploded , i can just remove the keys as if nothing ever happened pretty much? :O

i hope maya doesnt chug/go crazy for me importing a couple million polygons into it? haha

but let's say my model was all one mesh but i was planning to bake like..3 subtools into that one mesh. would i make 3 copies of the low poly and explode them in different directions with the high poly and bake it with that ? will that work the same?
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    Just a graphical exmple :p

explodedView.GIF
  • travisdreams
    Offline / Send Message
    man, that's one of the most intersting methods ive heard in getting a bake to go righ tso far :D thanks! i'll give this a try soon!
  • shaidelacroix
    Offline / Send Message
    shaidelacroix polycounter lvl 4
    thanks guys. exactly what I needed today!