Home General Discussion

Which 2D Painting Software Package Do You Use?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
I use Photoshop and have used GIMP as well as Paint Shop Pro but I'm really interested in learning Corel Painter and I just want to know it's use in the industry if it has much of one :)

Replies

• Paradan
    I use GIMP cause it's dolphin safe.
  • Sayanora
    Offline / Send Message
    Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
    Can you edit the poll to include Paint Tool SAI? I use that! ....and sometimes Photoshop...
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Poll is missing Paint Tool SAI, Art Rage, and Sketchbook Pro.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah paint tool sai is cool too.
  • equil
    Mostly Illuststudio, sometimes Photoshop, and lately I've been trying out Krita (although it's kinda unstable on windows).
  • maze
  • Ben Apuna
    I was using Mypaint until I switched from Windows to Mac. Now it's Sketchbook Express & Copic Edition for me. I might upgrade my Painter license someday, for now though it's obsolete and sits unused. I used to love ArtRage. I found it to be a leaner meaner Painter, UI wise.
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    MyPaint

Once it updates with transform tools, canvas sizing, maybe a symmetry tool (it already has canvas rotation)...it'll be a beast for concept/ sketch work for $0.

34018105.jpg
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    PS - Its pretty much the industry standard and everyone uses it so thought might as well go with that :)
  • leilei
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Jasc Paint Shop Pro 5 4 lyfe
  • dii
    Painters representation D:

Alchemy/Photoshop here.

If what you're after is just a program that will give you a natural media look & feel I'd suggest giving ArtRage a try, really convincing results and much cheaper than painter.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Photoshop + 3D-Coat for me
  • cw
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    photoshop and painter.
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey all thanks for the responses so far, I actually have never heard of Paint Tool SAI. I cant edit the poll but please continue to let me know what you guys use, I'm definitely going to check out ArtRage :D
  • ikken
    painter primarily
    last versions have been shit though, stick to IX.5 if you are on windows (even though 12 comes with 64-bit support and multithreading, so you may give it a try.)

currently looking at clip paint lab that is like a relevant version of sai, basically
    japanese only though

artrage has its brilliant moments, but it really feels like a <<< $ 100 brush pack for any other software package (which is not bad)
    lack of customization for brushes might turn you off. also probably the best wet into wet paint simulation to date.
  • Michael Knubben
    Ikken: That's from the same developer as Illuststudio, right? What's the difference between the two? I've just discovered Illuststudio and love it. Interface isn't great, but I'm really loving the brushes.
  • equil
    Illuststudio has a lot more focus on painting. It's closer to sai I guess. paint lab (now rebranded as Paint Studio Pro) is a bit simpler in it's interface and has stronger ties to their community site, where you're supposed to download 3d objects and textures etc. To my knowledge they've halted development on IS, but I'm not a huge fan of the direction they've taken with Paint studio so I stick with it for now. The brush engine feels pretty similar though.
  • ikken
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Ikken: That's from the same developer as Illuststudio, right? What's the difference between the two? I've just discovered Illuststudio and love it. Interface isn't great, but I'm really loving the brushes.

idk whats the difference honestly, but clip paint is a state of art package (native 64 bit, 50k px dimensions for documents, 2k max brush size)
    but the interface is quite ugly and it's Japanese only right now.
    compared to painter it's also super fast, with better blending and you literally have pressure curves EVERYWHERE, for any mappable brush parameter, so awesome

I'm still curious about differences between CPL and illuststudio, but I really love that they made a mac version of CPL too.

if anyone here has a good handle of Japanese and has some spare time, I'd be really thankful for explaining differences between two.
    equil wrote: »
    Illuststudio has a lot more focus on painting. It's closer to sai I guess. paint lab (now rebranded as Paint Studio Pro) is a bit simpler in it's interface and has stronger ties to their community site, where you're supposed to download 3d objects and textures etc. To my knowledge they've halted development on IS, but I'm not a huge fan of the direction they've taken with Paint studio so I stick with it for now. The brush engine feels pretty similar though.

I never tried illuststudio myself, just seen trailers and promo stuff, so don't really know how it has more focus on painting than CPL. CPL is more complex and more sufficient for painting than sai already.
    and yeah, I've been under impression they pushed IS back as well, but CPL is really more or less the same to me tbh, hoping for a proper Englsh release sometime.

(by the way, do you have any idea if it's possible to create custom brush dabs in either IS or CPL? it was a pain in sai and I never figured it out myself :(( )
  • Lord McMutton
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    I use GIMP, 'cause it's free.
  • bounchfx
    I mainly use SAI and Art Rage, Photoshop if I have to.