Home Dota 2

Am I too late ?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
NodrawNT polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone, I recently began to grow interest in Dota 2. I am currently unemployed and while I was browsing the workshop I started thinking about publishing some items too.
But it seems really impossible to make it to the game, there's a lot of people publishing their work and it's like my work would be drowning in the massive list of items.

Am I too late for the creation of Dota 2 items ?

Replies

• Swaggernaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggernaut polycounter lvl 2
    It's never too late to publish items to the workshop and getting them into the game. It's really all about making your item stand out, which is mainly what the marketing images are for. And while making the set, try to do something that is unique. Always think to yourself "What makes my set so unique?; What can I do to my set that no one else has done and what would the community think about it?" So yeah, don't feel discouraged that your items may be drowned out, it's really about quality and how well it stands out. Good luck and welcome to the workshop!
  • NodrawNT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, well even I if don't make into the game that might be something to show on my website
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Nope, its not too late. You just have to make sure you can create content on par or even superior to the stuff in-game.
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    The bar for item's quality has been raised quite a lot since day one, and although it is never too late too join the gang, if you aim to make a profit from creating items for this game, there are definitely a lot of hard works involved (of course!) and you also have to have a mindset, that there is really no promises, no guarantees that your item will be selected/ your hard work will yell result.
    This is the risk that we all(?) have to take :/
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    this is kind of a loaded question.

Was it easier to get items into the workshop a handful of years ago? Sure, there were way less people doing it then.

Is it impossible now? No, but it is much harder.

If you want to start making strides towards seeing your items in game, I'd probably recommend doing a 2 or 3 pieces and taking your time to learn the pipeline and the quality bar of some of the items that were just accepted into one of the chests for either TI5 or ESL. Don't really worry about speed at this point, just quality.

After you hit that bar, just rinse and repeat and get faster and faster until you can pump out singles and sets in an incredibly fast manor.

While the workshop is undeniably about quality first, more sets/items obviously yield a higher percentage of seeing your work pay off.
  • NodrawNT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for all your advice, I started sketching some armors yesterday. I'm not in a rush I want to do something polished.