polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Kihlstrand polycounter lvl 7
CURRENT VERSION... DONE! WOOOHOOO

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=514471922

tumblr_nudo8ntzPM1tgsw03o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nudo8ntzPM1tgsw03o10_r1_1280.jpg

Hey people!

I asked about juggernauts scale a while back and I thought it was time to post what I've been up to.

Im currently working on a juggernaut set inspired by ninjas/stealth. Not that he can stealth in game, but he feels like an assassin to me when he hunts down lone heroes and kills them in an instant.

The skinning process has been a hell to say at least, but Im happy with it, currently working on his textures. His weapon is still in block mode and I think Ill start working on it soon.

Suggestions, critique and feedback is always welcome! :)

Replies

• korpehn
    Offline / Send Message
    korpehn polycounter lvl 10
  • phazeddl
    I love it :) You're obviously stepping away from the default color palette, so not sure how valve would react to this, but i dont mind having this in game.

You could add a couple of more scratches scattered around the helmet, maybe make the one under the eye a bit bigger. Right now to me the headpiece looks a bit like a block, love the shape just need some details. Otherwise love it :)
  • Kihlstrand
    Offline / Send Message
    @korphen: thx!

@phazeddl:

Thx! Yes I do, I checked all other juggie sets and I just wanted to do something completely different. Not sure if that is a good thing or not :D

I think you are right about the helmet, I should do some more prominent scratches in the sculpt and add more contrast to the color map. Thank you for your feedback! :)
  • BohSheh
    Offline / Send Message
    BohSheh polycounter lvl 9
    looks like ninja turtle to me!
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Looks cool , but the helm is not really fitting with the cool costume ; U might try to make it to someting like this Ninja-Gaiden-Sigma-2-Plus-review.jpg

gl
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    It looks well made, but I think you ought to keep more red and orange from his chest up. As it is it also lacks a lot of the shapes that makes jugger recognisable on top of not keeping to the colours. Sure, there are sets for heroes like rubick that really change how he looks but as a player I really don't think that is a good direction for the game. The first time I saw one of those rubick sets I got super confused.

Deeper scratches and more details in the mask would help it look better in the portrait too.
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    I think it looks cool! But I think some parts of it is a bit too basic right now. The helm could use some additional shapes coming out of the top of the head, perhaps remove the bandana and add some shapes where it should be. Also perhaps add a sort of indention in red in the head, that's a pretty common trait for most of the Juggernaut masks. other than that, really cool set! Especially the torso piece looks awesome!
  • BohSheh
    Offline / Send Message
    the sword is very very blend , others parts is kinda ok
  • Potm
    Offline / Send Message
    Potm keyframe
    for something to get start with, i think this is nice~

but ya i agree with most of the above comment, the sword is not welly designed (there is some problem with the model, why is the blade not shiny?)

the mask doesnt fit jugg that well too.....

and clothes for jugg, hmm...think in this way - originally most of jugg set, jugg will remain orange colour in game view, while yours, it change COMPLETELY, its no longer that visible in game either

so, giving clothes to jugg is a good call, but make sure he stay AROUND the same colour theme as what he originally is.

the fabric looks a bit too "thick" looking for me too

but overall its a good theme, should explode it more :D
  • Kihlstrand
    Offline / Send Message
    @BohSheh
    Heh yeah he looks a little like TMNT. Guess the bandana does a lot! The sword is bland because it is still in block stage. :)

@mihalceanu

It's a bit simple, I'll admit. I'm gonna do some paintovers and see if I can make it more interesting and make it fit his clothing better!

@Snowstorm
    I hear you, I have not been sure about whether he looks way too off from the original Jugg or not. I'm gonna check more sets beside Jugg and see how much sets can differ from original design! It's a good point. :)

@Insaneophobia
    Thank you! There could certainly be more details, now that I've been away from the design a couple of days. The helmets shape could be improved as you say, I'm gonna do some paintovers. :)

@Potm
    Thank you! As I wrote earlier, the sword is still ia block model. I'm gonna make a more fitting design now that I have set... kinda complete haha. I'll check the color scheme, see what I can do with the current design or if I have to change the model. ^^ The thickness is a good point though, I think the sleeves make the clothing look thick?

Thank you all for your feedback and critique, it helps a lot! I'll make some paintovers later on Monday with your feedback in mind, cheers! :)
  • Potm
    Offline / Send Message
    Potm keyframe
    a more fitting design, also, to be a UNIQUE design, make a sword for jugg that makes people go "i need to have that sword now", that is what we are all aiming to achieve in the design :D

and i think one of the reason that makes the whole set looks "thick" (fabric part i mean), probably cause it is not "next to" his skin, it has a large volume there, if u get what i mean?

imagine like, u look at a girl wearing tight clothes, compare to looking at a girl wearing winter clothes, the winter clothes usually makes her whole body larger, while tight clothes is right next to the skin which u can see the SHAPE of the body

and right now, i cant see the /shape/ of jugg body
  • Kihlstrand
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm back with some progress!

I've changed the color scheme to Juggs original colors and I admit it looks much better in the end. I've reworked his head design. The sword is still untouched, figured Id give that some time soon!

@Potm:

I tried making the suit more tight, following his body but alas impossible with my current skinning problem. I don't have the original torso skinning since Valve scaled Jugg +15% and they havent updated the downloadable rig. I actually tried export skin weights from the old rig to the new one, but it didnt work as expected. This is why my "back" model is so thick. :)

Here is the new stuff! :)

9289c72e832512dfb6d0b2d3a0cd9d46.gif

a9945b70bf5bbccd172e4f13bacb1c63.jpg

21c0563cd0108d8f3aee5b9dd0a912ce.jpg
  • Kihlstrand
    Offline / Send Message
    I've added the sword and final tweaks for the set, I feel pretty much done. Now I "just" have to do the promotion material and loading screen... :D

37422bc289bcb86b5d59c7356e506433.gif

7248c396ae90b679e97e83b981fe6209.gif

1366eba8a1b1a409200824e06b0432a8.gif

45bea058c814be1acee3bd32ae5ef4a8.jpg
  • BohSheh
    Offline / Send Message
  • Chaos Prophet
  • ShorkGamer
    Offline / Send Message
    ShorkGamer polycounter lvl 7
  • Kihlstrand
    Offline / Send Message
    BohSheh: Thanks for the comment! Im late with my answer, but here it is!

Chaos Prophet: Thanks man! It was a struggle!

ShorkGamer: Thanks! Cheers :D

After a lot of blood, sweat and tears I'm finally done with my second Dota 2 Set for Juggernaut, "The Silent Step".

I'd like to thank people here on PC for all feedback, it has been very helpful!

Cheers guys, here is the link if anyone would like to vote:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=514471922

tumblr_nudo8ntzPM1tgsw03o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nudo8ntzPM1tgsw03o10_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nudo8ntzPM1tgsw03o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_nudo8ntzPM1tgsw03o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_nudo8ntzPM1tgsw03o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nudo8ntzPM1tgsw03o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_nudo8ntzPM1tgsw03o7_1280.jpg
  • bounchfx
    I like this a lot. A very original take on a hero already overwhelmed with cosmetics. Really good job making it stand out, and well made too!
  • whatever
    I agree with bounch,excellent stuff
  • kendmd
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Really love the simplicity of it! Great job!
  • Kihlstrand
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx: Thanks a lot! I studied all items before I started with my own concept just to make something unique. If it is a good thing or not, time will tell haha! Glad you like it :)

whatever: Thanks, warms my heart! :)

kendmd: Thanks, that was what I was aiming for, something more simple and clean. It doesn't have to be over the top to look cool, but I think people who put money into customs sets really wants to stand out.. but I enjoyed making the set so what does it matter? :D

I've already started sketching on a new set for a new character, I'll post a new thread with all my work instead of separate threads. Hopefully I'll have something to show soon, other than that, thank you Polycounters for your feedback! :)