Home Dota 2

Figuring Out Dota Reborn Model Tool

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
I started asking questions in the workshop thread, I'm moving that over here:
I'm just trying to get my head around new file system, using the new tools, etc... Want to look at rendering, etc..

* The model tool is in beta and Valve states that you need to use old tools to import cosmetics.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Dota_2_Workshop_Tools

====I'll save the first post to put proper info in when it is figured out=========

Replies

• Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I seem to have made a little progress. Thanks for the help BohShen.

I did have my models in the /content/addons location.

Moved them to the game folder. That stopped the crashing.

this first error was the one from before, the bottom one is now what I get when I try to create a new vmdl.
    dota-modelerror.jpg

I had my model (smd) and tga texture just in the add_ons/my add on folder. Then I get the error saying directory must be 'valid'.

So I put my models into a models/hero/alchemist sub-dir and still get the same error.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now I've tried open model viewer.

New> myfile (it places it in the add_on/my add on file.)

Save As> it places it in the my addon/models directory.

With it open I tried Model>mesh>add mesh (console tells me that file type is wrong, have tried fbx and smd. It says FBX, SMD, DMX , OBJ support)
    ============

this page:
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Dota_2_Workshop_Tools/Model_Editor/How_To

typical of all Valve's online tutorials seems to be missing all the critical info.

I have never had a hard time figuring stuff out like this in any other engine. It amazes me for a company that supports modders and releases tools that their documentation is always so half ass and even to this day if you try to search something as simple as how to change colors on a tf2 paint it's like pulling teeth and being a sherlock holmes on google.
    ============

OK, back to directories.

To import model it needed to be in the dota_addon/content directory (not game)

Now I can see the assest (textures) in the assest browser. I can also import and mesh into a model (though I get no texture).
    And now I can make a new vmdl with my mesh. Still, no texture.

=============
    Following this info from the guide:

Add Material Groups

Add a material group list with Model->Add Material Group List
    From the main menu select Tools->Edit Material Groups
    Click Add to add a new group
    Right-click on the new group and select "Rename" to rename it
    Right- click on a material and select "Browse To Material"
    Select the material to associate with this group
    Save the session ( File->Save )
    Click on the new group to switch it in the viewport

Note:do not edit the default group.

For attribute reference, see VMDL/MaterialGroups.

* the right-click on material/browse to material does not exist in the model viewer.
  • BohSheh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BohSheh polycounter lvl 9
    I think thats pretty much the steps , do you encounter anymore bugs ? The model viewer is so danm awesome for those who have no marmoset toolbag :P
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the materials aren't showing. Had them in the same folder with model.

I get a red wireframe only atm.
    ===============

Just found the Materials Editor.

It has selection for shaders. I chose 'Hero' and filled in the color and normal.

There's a checkbox for mask 1 & 2.
    Unfortunately it appears you need to save each mask channel as it's own image.

They use : _specmask, _rimmask, _selfillum, etc..

Got all the files loaded and created a vmat.

model_texture_error.jpg

I loaded up the newly created material, though I still have 'error' under materials which I get on compile.
  • BohSheh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did you try model> add material remap ?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did before and didn't notice anything. I tried again and noticed it added a material remap to the left hand column.

Though it didn't do anything.
    ==========
    I also noticed my imported normals and messed up all pointing upwards.

I checked source file, normals are fine.

I exported SMD and FBX, normals wrong in both (in model viewer). Reimported the fbx into 3d and normals are fine.
    So that's a model view thing.

Still can't get a compiled material to show on a compiled model :(
  • BohSheh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can you show me a screen shot of yours? including property editor (right hand column) for add material remap . And remember after u had replace the material you need to recompile the model by tools>recompile .
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, you the man :D
    Thanks for helping BohSheh.

Was kind of giving up, went back and tried again.

Everytime I added a remap and recompiled it erased it.

So I added the remap, hit 'SAVE' and the texture popped into place :D
    (The normals also show correctly when the texture is applied.)
    =============

Well, cool to get a model in. Though not quite as nice as Marmoset.Marmoset allows you to load mask_1.tga and it separates the channels. Lot faster than saving each channel as an image to load.
    (My last set was [including character textures) something like 54 materials to load. With model viewer it would be like 70+)

Also, no lighting set up, backdrop, etc..
  • BohSheh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the only troublesome stuff is the separate mask for each channel . And ofcourse it dont accept greyscale or else it will crash . But still , its free ! still in betas stage thou :P
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's definitely an improvement over the old one. There are a lot of things you can do.

With the direct connection to workshop files, I just hope they streamline the tool a bit.
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    Have you guys been able to attach a particle system to the model? I've set my attachment points onto the model in model viewer but the only thing i can find is the particle snapshot wich i think will be used for renders and not for import
  • Toyoka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toyoka polycounter lvl 5
    Baddcog, the model editor is generally only used to import models, test animations, etc. It shouldn't be used for actually rendering the model like you would in Marmoset or other rendering programs. You'd want to use SFM for that, in any case.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I know. That has nothing to do with the point of this thread.

It's about figuring out how everything works.
  • Toyoka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toyoka polycounter lvl 5
    In that case, you'd have better luck asking or looking around in moddota or the dev wiki as both are much better sources of information concerning the tools.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, tried the dev wiki, it's a bit lacking on info.

Never checked out moddota, but I've found in the past polycount is as good as resource as any when it comes to models.

I did find this tut which outlines SOME of the model import process (namely 'saving' to make the missing material show up). Seeing that might have saved some time, then again searching for that info...
  • Toyoka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toyoka polycounter lvl 5
    Yea, I actually created a similar tutorial for the process almost a year ago (the difference was between using a material remap with the wiki tutorial, and a material group with mine; both adequate methods), when the alpha tools had been released. But it was on the /r/dota2modding subreddit, so it was kind of buried under and forgotten (though, it is in the tutorials section if you go looking for it).

Anyway, there's not much else to the model editor, other than animation-related stuff. Which most of the modding community is, well.. I wouldn't say scared to touch, but no one has really put in the time to actually document it. Good luck with figuring things out though! Take advantage of all the resources :)