Home Dota 2

Tutorials, Guides and Resources for Dota2 Workshop

Replies

• Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markovnikov polycounter lvl 6
    Whilst being UV Perfect isn't necessary, its helpful. I usually put a margin of about 4ish pixels around mine.

Your metal mask seems okay to me. Did you remember to include the Alpha layer? You need to put a little dot of white onto that layer or else the shaders read it as being set to full, which can really mess with the end result.
  • Mataata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whilst being UV Perfect isn't necessary, its helpful. I usually put a margin of about 4ish pixels around mine.

Your metal mask seems okay to me. Did you remember to include the Alpha layer? You need to put a little dot of white onto that layer or else the shaders read it as being set to full, which can really mess with the end result.

Hmm, adding some white didn't seem to change it.. Is it maybe something with the model itself? Do I have to give it a material or something?
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markovnikov polycounter lvl 6
    Probably wouldn't hurt. XD

Check the shader guide if it continues. Might be something you missed.
  • Mataata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guh, I'm an idiot. It didn't occur to me that by "alpha" they literally meant make the image invisible. I got it "working", but it's a lot more finicky than I anticipated..
  • Mataata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know of a way to change a hero's base model and texture? There are a few sets that do it, but I don't have a clue how.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Which sets do you mean? As far as I know only Arcana items change base skins.
  • Creeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The grey gallant seems to do this, But i'm not sure if it was just modeled on top of the original beard and hair, I remember a bug where the original beard would stick out.

http://www.dota2.com/store/itemdetails/20787?r=258
  • Mataata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo wrote: »
    Which sets do you mean? As far as I know only Arcana items change base skins.

Well, I was sort of thinking about the ice and fire variants of Tiny and how the blades of Voth Domosh for Legion Commander make her armor red. Are those what you're talking about?
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mataata wrote: »
    Well, I was sort of thinking about the ice and fire variants of Tiny and how the blades of Voth Domosh for Legion Commander make her armor red. Are those what you're talking about?

Hmmmm Tiny might be a bit different because I think you must replace all parts of him outright. The Blades of Voth are an Arcana item, and were made by Valve.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, do single items get picked at all? Has anyone got a non-set item in recently?
  • Shiftyninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, posted this in the wrong thread I think so ill post here^^,

I have an odd question that I have tried to answer and find an answer and cannot, when I import the SMD model for (vengeful spirit for example) into Blender, I find it often exceeds the high poly count requirement for Dota2(portrait view), and the color file for the textures includes the hair aswell as the color for head/helmets etc so they appear (to a newbie) to be linked in some way, is there any reason for this? or is it simply a product of the import and I should reduce tris for the low poly version (aka decimate, by hand etc).
    Im also having trouble rebinding the hair whilst keeping the animation fluid, I assume the armature has some use but I cant seem to get the right configuration, any good tutorials on this? Any help really appreciated
  • JamieRain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRain vertex
    Hi guys, posted this in the wrong thread I think so ill post here^^,

I have an odd question that I have tried to answer and find an answer and cannot, when I import the SMD model for (vengeful spirit for example) into Blender, I find it often exceeds the high poly count requirement for Dota2(portrait view), and the color file for the textures includes the hair aswell as the color for head/helmets etc so they appear (to a newbie) to be linked in some way, is there any reason for this? or is it simply a product of the import and I should reduce tris for the low poly version (aka decimate, by hand etc).
    Im also having trouble rebinding the hair whilst keeping the animation fluid, I assume the armature has some use but I cant seem to get the right configuration, any good tutorials on this? Any help really appreciated

If you extracted the models the old way go ahead and delete that mess. Download the models through Valves page and use the fbx files they provide. If you want to continue with the older method look for the LOD. Just download it through Valves Hero Requirement page it's a lot easier. Then just attach the textures though the materials function blender has. I use Maya so I can't help you there. If it means anything you really don't need to put the texture on the hero to model something for it. You're going to hide the default items a lot of the time.
  • whatever
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For rubick should i model a head on body file or make it anothr file
  • Decion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How can I export my model now on reborn?
  • Kazar
  • kendisan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys

I really need your help!

I keep receiving this error after updating to Dota 2 Reborn

"Couldn't find any bones in the wearable that correspond to bones in the hero model. Wearable items must be skinned to the hero's bones to be submitted"

before the update I dont have any problem with importing the model.
    The model is already binded and skinned.

Do we have a new way of binding the mesh to the bones?

My procedure of binding before and now are the same. but when i upload the mesh to the new workshop, i get that error.

I dont know what to do anymore. HELP PLEASE!

Thank you guys!
  • kendisan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anybody know how to put, change/edit particles?
  • O_oMaDo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    O_oMaDo_O null
    Hello everyone, I'm new;) Who can explain or give a link to guide how I can import custom animation, particles for my item, and how to make several styles?
    regards animations and particles ... as I understand it is negotiated with the valve when the item / set will be adopted? or all the same I can do it at the time of import?
    I apologize for my English if I made a mistake;) Thanks in advance for your help and understanding;)
  • kendisan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys,

U have a problem uploading my item. How do you get rid of the default item?
    I have made an armor for Death Prophet. Uploading the item works well but the default scarf of the character is visible. How can I make that disappear ? I want to upload my armor item only.
    Here it is.

I also want to see how the whole set(armor,skirt,hood,etc) looks like. how do you upload multiple item in the workshop? 

Please help. Thank you
  • t1mu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t1mu polycounter lvl 8
    did you check your that item slot and default item slot is same?
  • kendisan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TIMU   Yes, I did. My Item name is just "Armor" and the name of the default item is scarf. I want to get rid of that scarf so that the Armor is the only item that will appear.  just like the image of DP on the right.
  • kendisan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, I need help.
    Anybody here knows how to change the color and form of the particles to match the shape of the weapon?
    Please help. Thank you.

• O_oMaDo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    O_oMaDo_O null
    Hi guys, there's a question about normal maps, how to select the correct value for the axes x +/-, y +/-, z +/-? 
  • BlueFlytrap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlueFlytrap polycounter lvl 9
    O_oMaDo_O said:
    Hi guys, there's a question about normal maps, how to select the correct value for the axes x +/-, y +/-, z +/-? 
    Source has it set up as +x, -y, +z I believe. Basically white is down for the green channel rather than up.
    Careful, Source 1 had an inverted Green channel but I believe Source 2 does not. There is an option in the importer to convert Source 1 normals into Source 2 format.

Someone else can confirm this possibly?
    You are correct. I suppose it doesn't matter which way it faces so long as you know how you baked it.
  • Darren Pinard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darren Pinard polycounter lvl 3
    Careful, Source 1 had an inverted Green channel but I believe Source 2 does not. There is an option in the importer to convert Source 1 normals into Source 2 format.

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that the latest release of Substance Painter has a Dota 2 template that allows you to work on all the masks at once or separately while previewing the final result with the Dota shader in the viewport. It also does all the packing at export time.

• kendisan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jerc Awesome!!!! Thanks man.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    JERC Yeah saw this some time ago. I will definitely try it on my next set. I just wonder who is normal map baking in Substance synced to dota2, but I will test it out haha :)
  • legi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    legi polycounter lvl 4
    Jerc said:
    Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that the latest release of Substance Painter has a Dota 2 template that allows you to work on all the masks at once or separately while previewing the final result with the Dota shader in the viewport. It also does all the packing at export time.

How does it work? I asume you have to have the shadow map and normals from the high poly baked onto the low poly model prior to importing it into the program correct?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    legi said:
    How does it work? I asume you have to have the shadow map and normals from the high poly baked onto the low poly model prior to importing it into the program correct?
    You can bake on your own into Substance painter, and you can also bake by mesh name which is a great feature that I am still trying to learn how to use it accordingly

Here is a set I am working on

all baked in substance. The handpainted texture was doin in photoshop and 3dcoat but all the masks were done into substance

The dota shader is good, but not perfect since each hero have a different shading properties it will never be exact
    The metal doesnt works the same as in dota (darkening the model and making it more reflective) and the tint by specular color is inverted like all dota shaders =] (they alreayd know this issue and may fix in the future)
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9

exactly, source 2 does not use inverted normals and you can use the importer to convert the old normal map style
  • legi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    legi polycounter lvl 4
    @Tvidotto
    I'l give it a world. Thanks=)
  • legi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    legi polycounter lvl 4
    Question

How I can make a transparent layer? I have a rope texture, which instead of being transparent (as there is nothing on the part of the layer) turns black.

Also, how do I test my item ingame? I cant seem to find the right tutorial for it.

Cheers

• arzulcrozz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please help, Just want to ask something.
    How you import particle in workshop/dota 2 set?
    I try to search but can't find how to import particle so I can test and view the particle in game.
    Thanks before.. :)
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone have a good resource/tutorial for learning blocking out your set shapes before you bring them into a sculpting program? Compared to what I've seen other workshop artists here producing in terms of block outs, my current block out style is extremely rudimentary and not that helpful for building a hi poly sculpt onto. I would really like to improve in that area with my next set to make the planning process more fruitful and the sculpting process easier to transition to, so any tips or resources on this would be extremely helpful.
  • DokiDoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DokiDoki polycounter lvl 3
    legi said:
    Question

How I can make a transparent layer? I have a rope texture, which instead of being transparent (as there is nothing on the part of the layer) turns black.

Also, how do I test my item ingame? I cant seem to find the right tutorial for it.

Cheers

Just erase the black color for transparent texture.

As for submitting, you need to have DotA 2 Workshop tools downloaded. The tools are very straight forward. Just select the item that you want to upload. For example, for ward, submit your item under the category "Ward"
  • Linko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    Download: http://linko.projects.free.fr/dblender.zip
    Official topic: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?383624-Dark-Blender-(Official-Thread)-optimized-for-sculpting-and-game-asset-creation

I have finally recreated everything explained in TVIDOTTO's tutorial available in one click instead of several hours of work in a modified version of Blender.
    i have created a script that does the retopology, unfold the UVs, optimize the texel density by unfolding half of the model, create an envelop of the high poly, bake the AO, normal, bent, color ramp, volume lighting, cavity map. It will create all your lod at your desired polycount. It saves all your maps, then it applies a shader on your generated game asset, load your maps and setup a lighting. Every settings are the same as Thiago's workflow. You will have access to gradient effects to color your greyscale. There is also a tons of grayscale presets to create your texture easily.
    If you are not working with Blender, you can import your ZBrush sculpture with the .obj file format.

You can paint the specularity in real time, the metalness, self illumination and haswell the colors.
    Also there is guidelines on the camera to position your asset:

And that's not all you will have a compositing effect in one node, just plug your image on the Quick Compositing node:

You can generate a cool hard surface model by enabling Generate HP, here is the source:
    http://blenderartists.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=426802&d=1457297593
    And the result after running the Game Asset Generator and using the gradient map preset:
    http://blenderartists.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=426799&d=1457297139
  • arzulcrozz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, just wanna ask something.
    Can I rig dota 2 courier in 3ds max?
    Any tutorial about that?
    *especially about how to export it from 3ds max to dota 2 reborn.

Thanks guys.
  • gyllenhaal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gyllenhaal polycounter lvl 3
    hey guys i cant open asset browser in workshop tools, pc crashes when i hit asset browser icon. any solution??
  • Linko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7

Dark Blender tutorial - High Poly to Dota Game Asset in 5 minutes 

I have made a tutorial on how to go from a ZBrush sculpt to a Dota asset in 5 minutes instead of 5 hours before:
  • TurboHusky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TurboHusky polycounter lvl 10
    For anyone else using Blender I've had a go at a real-time shader for the viewport.

http://polycount.com/discussion/173096/glsl-viewport-shader-for-blender#latest
  • .leshiy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .leshiy polycounter lvl 5
    texExport Scripts - Set of the scripts for quick save texture maps or other images from PSD-file without any setup and questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSCLoHebT88
  • .leshiy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .leshiy polycounter lvl 5
    I did a small guide about working with textures in Photoshop for DOTA2 Workshop with using my script. It turned more technical, but I like it... 

• Clyptic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    @.leshiy Thanks a lot for sharing this! I have been looking for a texture export script for a while since the last one I used is no longer supported. I'll have to give this script a try on my next set. 
  • hajnis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hajnis polycounter lvl 3
    Can I ask you how Are You doing skinning for armors etc( I have found tutorials only for weapons..)?

What is propper way to finnish and load my model when now I have My Lod1 object and all textuers to it completed?

I would appreciate all advices.

• juraiknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juraiknight polycounter lvl 3
    So, I have a quick question that may or may not have been asked before, but it seems if it has, it's been unanswered. So I'm making (and have been for longer than I care to admit) a DK set. I've searched for tutorials that mainly deal with the skinning and weight painting of wearable items, but it seems that all the tutorials I find mainly just rig weapons, which obviously is a much simpler process since it typically deals with a single bone. It's been eons since I've even touched the skinning modifier in max, so I'm basically at square one again. Anyone have a really good tutorial to point me in the right direction?