Home Dota 2

TI4 Workshop Hangout Go!!!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9

Hey Humans.

GDC was a blast, and I'll probably throw something about Pax EAST but I just watched Free To Play, and it's got me #hype about meeting a bunch of you dudes at TI4.

So lets kick this party off;
Whose going?
how much it cost last year to attend? Ticket and hotel?
Depending on merch/hotel/days/ it looks like $1000 USD just to be there for the 3 to 4 days of the tourney.
How long did everyone stay?
What should we expect to bring?
Cashmoney. Maybe A laptop. Walking shoes and a party attitude. Not as much as GDC.
Do we want to do an official hangout or just meet up whenever?
I'm going to say an official GDC polycount hangout was awesome, and I'd love to get some time to get us all together during the event.
Do we have an official TI4 date yet?
July 18 - 21st
What was it like last year?
Q. I’m a Workshop Contributor, will there be a place for me at the International?
"This year we’ll be setting aside a larger space for Contributors to meet fans, work together, and show off their creations. If you’re interested in participating, we’ll have a signup space for you soon. In the meantime, make sure you purchase your ticket when they go on sale on Friday. " Quote from valve from Here.

Ill edit as answers get answered, but for now I'm just stoked! Party in the U.S.A !!!

Replies

• belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Oh man, if I ever get something ingame and with it loadsemone, I'll try my best to go!

There's no official date for TI4 yet, but it's usually around august, and from what it seems, it will be at the Seattle Key Arena this year.
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    I wanna go. :)
    Hopefully, if everything aligns correctly, I shall be there.

Cheers.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Just to let everyone know, like last year, I plan on buying as many tickets as I can, so if anyone has a hard time getting their hands on one let me know and hopefully we can make something work. I'd like to get as many workshoppers there as possible!

All this assuming I can even get one. I happen to get lucky and snaged three last year, so we'll see!
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Belkun, Ahah, you will! I think your furion will be in doto
    I heard somewhere that TI4 will be in jule, I wil go only if I'll get visa, that's only one problem. I hope we are all will be there in this year
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There was a special place for workshoppers at TI3, I saw that on a video by dota cinema. I remember Sith Happens were there making items. I guess they can give a special place to workshoppers this year as well. So I think you should talk to some organizers for free ticket and some desks to create awesomeness.
    Anyways ofcourse I wont be there but I hope this helps a bit.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    i wish i could, but for now it doesnt look like it. would love to come
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Whose going?
    So many people! Myself included!

What was it like last year?
    TI3 in general was amazing, the hall was electric and the grand finals were mind-blowing. The Workshop area specifically definitely could use some improvements, it was very cramped and kind of had most of us just kind of standing around awkwardly. I sent a big old email to Valve immediately after the event with my thoughts on how it could be improved for this year but considering it seems to moving to a much larger venue I'm not sure how relevant my feedback will be. It was really cool to talk to all of the fans and other Workshoppers though, meeting everyone was without a doubt my highlight of the whole event.

What should we expect to bring?
    Money! I didn't really have anything on my person at the event other than my wallet, phone and lanyard. I remember Frump had his laptop and was creating this at the event so I guess laptops, sketchbooks and other worky stuff could be useful!

Do we want to do an official hangout or just meet up whenever?
    I think it would be really cool to have an official hangout some time before the event so we know which friendly faces to look out for at the arena. That was something which never happened last year.

Do we have an official TI4 date yet?
    From all the reports it seems to be mid-to-late July at the Key Arena in Seattle. There's been "leaks" but I'm not sure if any official date has actually been announced.
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    If I get enough money, I'll totally go! :D
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Definitely going, hoping to release enough good stuff to be worthy of an invite, but I'll be going one way or the other.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumping this to let the world know I updated the OP, and added in a sweet google doc.

#swagfest2014
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    I wanted to go so badly last year but couldn't get a ticket, if I can get one this time then I'm going for sure!

Does anyone know if the venue is going to be larger so more people can get tickets?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cagdasx44 wrote: »
    There was a special place for workshoppers at TI3, I saw that on a video by dota cinema. I remember Sith Happens were there making items. I guess they can give a special place to workshoppers this year as well. So I think you should talk to some organizers for free ticket and some desks to create awesomeness.
    Anyways ofcourse I wont be there but I hope this helps a bit.

I hope it's handled a lot better then it was last year.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope it's handled a lot better then it was last year.

I think the best change which could be implemented is making it a celebration of the Workshop as a whole as opposed to a handful of artists.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Darn, I'd really like to go, but I'm already away from work for much of the month of April :/ Really should have taken the opportunity to go last year.

Maybe if I get a ticket on a whim haha.
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    If I can manage to make in-game some items to save some moneh and get a ticket, I'll be there! :D
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I think the best change which could be implemented is making it a celebration of the Workshop as a whole as opposed to a handful of artists.

Agreed. It would be awesome if they had a separate sign-up page just for workshop artists that gave 'workshop access' or a special color badge. I went to buy tickets the minute they were on sale, and still wound up not being able to get one, despite being there and trying until they were sold out shortly after.

I took the risk and flew out there anyway and was lucky enough to find a way in. It was super fucking awesome to meet everyone and be at an event celebrating dota with tons of other fans of the game. Can't wait to head out there again this year, I'm sure it's going to be amazing and I'm looking forward to partying with all you folks that do make it to the show!
  • DoubleLeaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm I would like to go, but well see! I hope for an invite but I dont have that many things in game. I gotta get back to work!
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I should mention for those of you in far away lands like me (Australia) give yourself more than a day to recover from travel fatigue and jetlag. The first few days of the event I was just in a total daze and the rest of the trip was me struggling to catch up on sleep. It was still amazing fun but I was definitely out of it for at least the first few days.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I literally just got back to my apartment from GDC. I'm already thinking about my trip to TI4.

Last year was a blast. I mean, the whole workshop showcase was rather unfortunate for those of use that didn't get to participate, but it wasn't due to any of the workshop pals, and not even something Valve anticipated. Everyone was very friendly and generous, just a weird situation. I got to go to Valve and the after-party anyway and those were definitely some of the highlights of the trip.

If there's a workshop area again it'll be easy to all hangout in the same area during the day as it was last time. There wasn't any big nightly bar stuff though. I think that should be rectified. The problem was that the workshop showcase people had to stay and work until like 11pm each night then get shuttled back to the hotel far away by Valve. Not really a lot of space to leave the event.

I think Bounch your solution is pretty elegant, having a workshop specific badge type. It would help us be identified on the floor and everything too. Maybe get some artists who are lesser known by fans to notice. Similar to the VIP badge.

I'm glad it's in July and not August, now I can maybe plan to go to PAX too. I need to get a better hotel this time.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    I would love to go, there are several factors that will determine if I can go or not, but should have it mostly figured out in a few weeks... mostly
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeahh!! Don't forget to THE AWESOME GOOGLE DOC my friends!

I made it super huge in the OP so no one can miss it now, heathens.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You won't be able to miss me there, I'll be wearing the shutter shades the whole time.
  • Drywall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We will be there!
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You won't be able to miss me there, I'll be wearing the shutter shades the whole time.

Z20Izo.gif
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Its sounding like it'll be a pretty big turnout!, planning on making it this year myself.
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Rabies and I are going to try and make it out this year as well!
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty much definitely going again this year. Last year was a lot of fun, and it was great to put faces to a lot of names.
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helll yeah!!

Looks like we are at about 13 who know they are going "for sure" which is awesome!!

At the suggestion of flex-master Helenek, I'll add more columns when we get closer/know the date for sure, such as Hotel/accommodation column, so we can midnight creep on up and rage til the sun comes back.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would like to suggest an MMR column so that we can already have an established social hierarchy before meeting one another.

EDIT: Never mind Ike has already taken the initiative and it seems my 4300 MMR when converted to USD is only worth 1700. I am shame. So it seems all I am worth in a social context so to carry your bags and bring you all drinks.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    Z20Izo.gif

88ZHnXM.gif

Kayne can't handle it. :thumbup:
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Someone revoke access and put my name everywhere ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    88ZHnXM.gif

Kayne can't handle it. :thumbup:

Kanye isn't even half the man Brooklyn Kurtz is.

In other news; doc's broke, yo.
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanye isn't even half the man Brooklyn Kurtz is.

In other news; doc's broke, yo.

UNJKn4E.jpg
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grumble Grumble
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didnt think I would have to say this, but lets not shoot the spreadsheet straight to hell.

Changing everyones handle was a super lame move. I dont know everyones handle, and I dont want to waste their time filling it out again. This is why we can have nice things. #smh

In other news Next thread : "WORKSHOPPERS GO ON A HIPHOP WORLD TOUR"

Headlines would be ridiculous
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Repaired ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Really the only thing I want to know is how much it cost last year to attend? Ticket and hotel? How long did everyone stay? Thats the deciding factor on if I go or not. That and when it is which is still TBD
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just updated main post with those questions. Unless Helenek,Bounch, or frump Jump in here later Ill ping them for the goods.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Wouldn't miss it for the world! :D

FUCK YEAH FNATIC TI4 BABY! IT'S THEIR YEAR!
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah, I'll be there.
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notail pls pick Meepo for TI finals. I'll totally go there if I just get one item in! ^^
  • poodleswithguns
    Wouldn't miss it for the world! :D

FUCK YEAH FNATIC TI4 BABY! IT'S THEIR YEAR!

BAH! FEAR needs a new DESK! EG takes it. USA!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Sukotto wrote: »
    Really the only thing I want to know is how much it cost last year to attend? Ticket and hotel? How long did everyone stay? Thats the deciding factor on if I go or not. That and when it is which is still TBD

Ticket is inexpensive. It was 50$ last year and they gave away a lot of exclusive items at the event that you could sell on the market. I spent some additional money on merch and got all the exclusive couriers and in turn sold those for 300$+ on the market which paid for all of the merch and half of my hotel bill.

I don't remember how many days it was and can't remember how long I stayed, something like 4 or 5 nights. The hotels in Seattle are cheaper than the ones in SF. If it's at the Key Arena this year, that's not right downtown so maybe even less. Do a search on google for hotel prices in the area, that's the best way to find out.

I took a 20$ bus ride to and from the city last year so my trip was pretty affordable. GDC on the other hand... I'm gonna need to get my own chest to pay for that trip.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I summed that up and said atleast $1k USD, including food, hotel, travel (in the city) for 4 days. No merch.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    BAH! FEAR needs a new DESK! EG takes it. USA!

YOU WANNA FIGHT ME BRO!? xD
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As of like, 4 days,
    18 Confirmed-ish
    17 Almost certain

That's almost 40 work-shoppers, and that's just awesome!!!
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    That's gonna be a good hell of a hangout, I'm even more excited now on being able to go to TI4 :D
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah this years TI is going to be amazing, looking forward to hanging out with all of you
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    bump :3
    everyone must write in the doc