Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Latto!
    Hello all

I just submitted this and would love any feedback from the community. Thanks!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=252800750&result=1

9793E954870924317D438054021751D1CD77BC2C
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Try setting your matcap to default grey or something other than red wax,red wax is an awful material for showing off the sculpt as it doesn't give you the best display of your sculpt detail. No idea why it's the default.

Yeah it should really not be the default. I am tired of seeing people using it. Like Hawt said use grey matcap, or go out and find some nice sculpting matcaps so you get proper details and depth information.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having a bit of trouble with my first imports into the engine. Everything looks all fine and dandy in Maya, all the bones are skinned and bound to joints (hair to hair0, arms to arm1, torso to spine0 and belt to spine0), but when I export them out and bring them in they end up on the ground, in what would be X facing upwards, and not animating.

Is there something wrong with my export settings? Everything I've read said default settings, and that's what I did. Is there something I forgot? Is it not exporting the skin weights or the bone binds? I just read something about 'input connections' being turned on, would that be the case? Do I need to change the up axis to Z instead of Y?

I might be easier if you show your Maya set up. Both Maya and Source are y up, so you would only need to change this if your scene is set up wrong.
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Anyone else notice if you upload an item with particle effects, then try to add additional items that the particles reset to default instead of your new ones on the first item?
  • darkartsofneko
    Is this better? I switched it to the basic gray material

af_p7_zps6f2a828a.png
  • brianchenito
    Offline / Send Message
    brianchenito polycounter lvl 7
    mmz8TBB.jpg

Dark Reef Detritus
  • PoPcorn
    kite212 wrote: »
    I might be easier if you show your Maya set up. Both Maya and Source are y up, so you would only need to change this if your scene is set up wrong.

Yeah. I had this problem with Juggernaut recently. I don't know of a way to fix it.
  • Zipfinator
  • AndrewHelenek
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »

had me at Timbersaw

Damn this is a pretty big update, im excited
  • MagnoHusein
    http://tf2b.com/updates/d2t

Gratz to all the dudes who got something in. :)
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    http://tf2b.com/updates/d2t

Gratz to all the dudes who got something in. :)

Gratz indeed, really like some of the choices for the new treasures.... still no singles, so maybe sets new meta?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    @Cottonwings: Haha never thought about woman wearing something like that, but I think it would be funny :) The Text on the back is part of it, but f you only read the front it would look weird I admit.

Almost done with the elder titan weapon, so here's a gif.
    Need to say Marmoset is awesome, even the detail map works :D

819SG2W.gif

Indeed, looks great your weapon
    Tamarin wrote: »
    So... I am trying to get cloth to work and I am running into a few issues. I can't find much resource online - so if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

I have cloth "working" in terms of being able to load it into HLMV but the result is not what I am looking for. All of the bone chains, or "columns" (as they are called) hang completely vertical and resulting motion is horizontal. This is great for a cape, but I would like a vertical motion for my current project. I tried to match Tidehunters fish as close as possible - even copying bone rotations and roll angles - but still not getting it. I also find the .cloth file doesn't seem to do much (other than describe the # of columns and rows) - if I change any value from 1-1000 it has no effect. I thought I could change gravity from -1 in Z direction to -1 in Y to get a horizontal chain - but no luck.

Tvidotto got me interested in this and he seems to have it working well (at least in test). You can check out his Orca in the monthly contest.

As a side question, has anyone had success with "jiggle bones"

***edit***

made some progress... The .cloth file is working now (turns out I'm just slow learner)- what a fun thing to play with.
    Does anyone know if gravity is local or world space? I would like to use local so that the horizontal effect is not changed by the direction the character is facing. It would also be cool to specify the gravity for each column - just throwing that out there to whoever might be able to include something like that.

IMTF0TK.gif

i think the gravity is based on the world, so just the y is interesting to play, but im not sure, you always need to test.

cloth is more test then knowledge and you also need some luck =]
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    why there is mention to squee and spleen on the schema?
  • Nannou
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    It's techies if i'm not wrong.
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah, Squee and Spleen are the names of the techies in Dota
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 12
    Gz everyone who got something in!

Time to make a Magnus set...
  • bounchfx
    grats everyone! Really glad to see Hawf's clockwerk in. Are all of the chest sets in that schema? doesn't seem like there's enough. Also, which courier is it... if it's the ostrich, I don't recall ever seeing that on the workshop..

kinda awkward seeing that Disruptor get in though. It did get a lot of votes though.

Still sad seeing no wards or couriers really (assuming the ostrich is the chest courier... what about everyone people have submitted over the last 6+ months?).
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Oh well, sad to see that my spring themed NP set didn't get in, better luck next time ):

Still, congratulations everyone! Pretty nice cosmetics quality this time around (and 6.81!)
  • Artypi
    Offline / Send Message
    Artypi polycounter lvl 5
    @bounch
    there's 14 sets not included in ticket bundles, so a little more than the last set of chests actually
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    bounchfx wrote: »
    grats everyone! Really glad to see Hawf's clockwerk in. Are all of the chest sets in that schema? doesn't seem like there's enough. Also, which courier is it... if it's the ostrich, I don't recall ever seeing that on the workshop..

kinda awkward seeing that Disruptor get in though. It did get a lot of votes though.

Still sad seeing no wards or couriers really (assuming the ostrich is the chest courier... what about everyone people have submitted over the last 6+ months?).

If they follow the method of the previous chests it would seem about right. If you take out what I think were the tournament sets there were about 8 or so left not including the Clockwerk set. That makes 4 per chest with the Clockwerk probably in both like the Venge was last week.

Slim pickings to get in game now it seems. Pretty sure the last time we saw individual items being added in a chest was the Spring event in January.
  • bounchfx
    On a side note, this really, really bothers me. It's been brought up before, but why do they keep putting in items with backwards normals? Why not have the creator correct it first, or fix it themselves. It's happened enough times that it just confuses me because it hurts the quality of the item a TON.

tempestwrath_mount_large.aaa5bff6df22c4853ce43d2a1e6a908b55a4c732.png

hopgood wrote: »
    If they follow the method of the previous chests it would seem about right. If you take out what I think were the tournament sets there were about 8 or so left not including the Clockwerk set. That makes 4 per chest with the Clockwerk probably in both like the Venge was last week.

yeah, that makes sense to me, having 4 per chest.
  • Nannou
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    this is the new chests, congrats! Also the ES and Abba team sets got custom icons and particles. Cool to see valve add more custom stuff.
    mwDfVmX.png
  • PoPcorn
    On a side note, this really, really bothers me. It's been brought up before, but why do they keep putting in items with backwards normals? Why not have the creator correct it first, or fix it themselves. It's happened enough times that it just confuses me because it hurts the quality of the item a TON.

tempestwrath_mount_large.aaa5bff6df22c4853ce43d2a1e6a908b55a4c732.png

It really bothers me as well. There's a set of mine they keep rejecting for reasons. But things like that and the Dota cinema pudge get put in.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message

:thumbup: It is so annoying to see something like this happen over and over, and some of the items being top sellers.....
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Grats to those of you who got stuff in!

Considering the new chests are direct buy and not dropping in-game I wonder if they'll stick to only 1-2 per month.

It's going on 7 months for me not getting anything into the game at this point. I'm going to be forced into retirement pretty soon.
  • bounchfx
    Frump wrote: »
    It's going on 7 months for me not getting anything into the game at this point. I'm going to be forced into retirement pretty soon.

I'm really, really sorry to hear that Frump. And I don't think you're alone here feeling like that.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    Grats to those of you who got stuff in!

Considering the new chests are direct buy and not dropping in-game I wonder if they'll stick to only 1-2 per month.

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF MEEPO SET
  • Nikey
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Gratz everyone who got something in =)
    I heard chest will be available in the store now (now sure with keys or without keys)
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    congrats everyone :)
    I just wish they would spend 5 seconds and add either of these:
    .No more single items guys, shit happens
    .We'll have single item chests later, keep it up
    :|
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    People are wasting a lot of time on couriers, wards and single items. It would make a world of a difference of they atleast mention whether they phased them out or it is a matter of time till they get in...

Congrats to those who got their stuff in. Nice selection.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    People are wasting a lot of time on couriers, wards and single items. It would make a world of a difference of they atleast mention whether they phased them out or it is a matter of time till they get in...

Congrats to those who got their stuff in. Nice selection.

They didn't let tournament organizers know that there we're phasing out item bundles for prize pools under 15k, you honestly think they would tell us that? This is Volvo here, not a company that understands the concept of communication. But it's not their time their wasting, so who can blame them?

And not to mention the double standard in tournament items. We were told by both ESL and Valve that all league items were to be submitted publicly. So why are Dreamleague and Starladder both exceptions to to this rule?
  • Art
  • Robobobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Robobobo polycounter lvl 6
    hurray some more demotivation :D
  • Vovosunt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    Hey guys!
    I'm kinda new to workshop and I've been wondering are single items
    still accepted into the game?
    Or is it just a waste of time and I should try to make a set instead?
    And how is the general workshop economy doing?
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    not at the moment
  • stkopp
    Offline / Send Message
    stkopp polycounter lvl 4
    Sup guys?
    I'm doing a set for puck and while planning it I faced with one problem. BONES!
    I think you know that puck's wings have just 1 bone per wing. In my example, I have at least 4 bones per wing (image below). But I found that in my set, puck will not use somewere around 15 bones (they comes from tail).

So the question is:
    Can I delete bones from tail and make new ones for wings? And how should I upload my model?
    zlKwUwcrP_Q.jpg

Thanks in advance)))
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Robobobo wrote: »
    hurray some more demotivation :D

Its not demotivation! Its weeding out the weak :D!!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    stkopp wrote: »
    Sup guys?
    I'm doing a set for puck and while planning it I faced with one problem. BONES!
    I think you know that puck's wings have just 1 bone per wing. In my example, I have at least 4 bones per wing (image below). But I found that in my set, puck will not use somewere around 15 bones (they comes from tail).

So the question is:
    Can I delete bones from tail and make new ones for wings? And how should I upload my model?
    zlKwUwcrP_Q.jpg

Thanks in advance)))

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14"]nope.avi - YouTube[/ame]
  • cottonwings
    Weeding out the weak? Feels like natural selection all over again. :(

---

This might be off-topic, I'm proud to announce #Dota2Collab is now open to all artists on twitter! It's similar to several collab projects like #StreetFighterCollab and #OnePieceCollab, but doto style. Should you be interested, sign your name up now! Hopefully we can finish this by Ti4. https://twitter.com/cottonwings/status/460075700079169537
  • stkopp
    Offline / Send Message
    stkopp polycounter lvl 4

So damn sad(
    Can I just make new bones?
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    stkopp wrote: »
    So damn sad(
    Can I just make new bones?

Nope, I wish.

Valve doesn't like it when we make extra work for them on the technical side.

Sorry my homie.
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6

---

Well , about that ; since I started in 2012 , I allmost quit 2 or 3 times in the periods when I didnt got someting in for 6-7 months . I think perseverance is the key word here. I am sure they will make more bundles with single items and stufs , I have no doubt about it and will continue to make single items aswell.
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10

I will not give up. I will keep making items. I will not give up. I will keep making items.

*cries in a corner*
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Congrats to everyone with items accepted, will be interesting to see how the new purchase mechanic for chests works out. I find it pretty fascinating to see Valve experimenting with chests at the moment, hopefully it'll lead to a better method for everyone once the dust settles.
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Finished up the Puck set I have been working on this month.

Nether Sprite - Scuba Cat!

VD25WlL.jpg
  • MagnoHusein

Sharing the same feeling here.

I will keep trying, but many facts keeps desmotivating me.

They don't tell us what's the plan for singles, they just add sets for the same heros, over and over, and the lack of communication is what kills me mostly.

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF PROPER FEEDBACK
  • Selaznog
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    haha that is amazing
  • cottonwings
    9060-dota2_unreleased_shark.png

*banshee screaming of joy* no longer penniless...!!