Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Evinronment Test

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys,I was thinking to create an environment for testing & learning stuff about UDK,so I started learning about how to create the skydome,easiest than I thought (though I have some cloud randomly spinning around probably...xD ).
The idea was to go for something fantasy,kind of Jrpg/Xenoblade feeling,what do you think guys? Any ide about how to improve it?

44171160.png

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3-xWD7e5VI&feature=plcp"]Skydome Test inside UDK - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• Rockley Bonner
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    yo man whered you get the sky texture?
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    A friend of mine pass me a panoramic image from his collection,though it was a common sky,I change the values to make it appear like this,you can find a lot more on google image or here http://www.cgskies.com/index.php
  • John Crean
    The sky looks amazing it defiantly gives off the feel of a JRPG or something similar.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Tweaked the sky & learned how to add a sun (though probably it will need more work)
    Now the next step is to learn how to create sand & water :)

25609668.png
  • Synyster
    Offline / Send Message
    Synyster polycounter lvl 8
    I'm really digging this! Keep going! I can't wait to see what you'll make of this.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    I am a bit slowed down because I am going trough the documentation of the Landscape (I wasted my time looking at the video tutorial of the old terrain system then discover the Landscape editor...lol).
    Actually my main concern is to understand if I can export the heightmap from udk,so I could be able to start sculpting the terrain inside it,export & import into worldmachine for refining it & then back into udk,let me know please if you have the answer :)
  • Zyloh
    Offline / Send Message
    Zyloh polycounter lvl 8
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0o3bqoM0Qg"]How to create a terrain for Cryengine and UDK Part 1/8 - YouTube[/ame]

From your very own polycounter Choco!
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    thx bro, I know his videos,actually I owe him a lot because probably without, I wouldn't even know of the existence of world machine xD

Started roughly sketching some terrain,I put a udk model & a checker to give a sense of scale,later on I put here the video,is uploading right now.
    The map actually is kind of huge,but this will allow me to use it as a sandbox map,lets say for example I want try out a different kind of vegetation,I can simple go in another region of the map - the goal of this map is to test stuff on it & learn in the process :)
    I am not particulary happy about how the poligons are distributed on the landscape,I got lot of them in a plain terrain & few stretched on the side of an almost 90° slope(you can see it in the image,the one with the super stretched polygons)...did you guys know if there is a function that distribute them where needed?

85533468.png
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    No. The UDK terrain is simply a checkerboard surface with evenly spaced vertices, and those vertices then get moved up and down to follow the shape of your sculpture.

If you want to have more polygons on the cliffs you will either have to model your entire landscape in one piece (which is a HUGE thing to load, most likely), subdivide the terrain more (which will also create more polies on the flatter surfaces) or just stick mode detailed modular rock models into the cliffsides (which is the most commonly used approach).
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for the info Snader :)
    Now I am having a bad problem,for testing purpose with worldmachine I exported the landscape heightmap,it was exported in .raw format but worldmachine was unable to load it (using the FileInput) I try to load it in photoshop to see what it was going on (though I am not sure if the file format was meant to be opened in photoshop) & this is an example of what I get (image below).
    I am a bit confused,am I doing something wrong?! O_o

31236190.png
  • Leodido
    I personally use the r16 format when exporting from World Machine, it works great to then import it in UDK. Choco had the same issue in his tutorial at some point
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Leodido,I am trying the other way around xD
    I have the landscape sculpted inside udk,I am trying to export it from udk to import it in worldmachine for erosion pass & textures,the problem is also that udk don't give me option over the exporting process
    but I found this http://www.mavrikgames.com/game-development-tools/hic-documentation ,probably is what I was looking for,got to try :)
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    That program totally didn't work lol...
    But I found a way around,simply selecting the terrain & exporting it as an .obj,then importing into Zbrush & grabbing the heightmap from there & then into worldmachine,now that I know it work I can keep with the sculpting of the land without have to worry to encounter major problems later on.
    Got to be careful in worldmachine though,I am putting roads on the side of a little mountain (image below) & using the erosion module probably will end up by totally ruining it,so I think I will have to create some masks to preserve those areas.
    Other thing that is bothering me is the fact that I got mountains all around in a rectangular shape,making it feel like if the player is stucked inside a big box,I put those mountains in the first place just to hide the horizon line where my sky meet the complete black,but it simply look wrong,so now I am thinking to generate a random terrain in worldmachine for the land around the rectangular playable area & collapse it into my heightmap,then I will manually adjust things with udk terrain sculpting tools to make them blend in a smooth way

18635634.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    guys got a little problem :poly122:
    I was setting the DOF,but no matter how I set it,it kill my skydome,is like when I look at the sky without my glasses :(
    There is some setting for the shader of the sky that allow it to bypass the DOF & stay as it is?(or some trick to keep it sharpen) :poly122:

15555161.png
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    CamOverridePostProcess
    oh wait never mind thats for camera
    hold on

try decreasing DOF_Max Far Blur Amount
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx Chris
    ok,it went out of control,damn =_='
    I mean,at the beggining I didn't realize it was so huge,see the noise happening? is a noise applyed on at 8k texture...so,I belive I can't rely on worldmachine diffuse output in this instance with a map that huge,am I right?
    so the plan now is to find a nice spot in this gigantinc place,& start to working the visible area around starting from that point,focusing mostly on the near stuff & ignoring everything else on this huge map

77538961.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    I've done another terrain,though that voronoi effect would have used more erosion/smoothing,but wathever,gotta move on to learn water & foliage :P

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAsWbiglhmA&feature=plcp"]UDK practice environment w.i.p. 1 - YouTube[/ame]
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys I've a question about udk,a friend of mine explained me how to split a dds mipmap texture into the single tiles,edit them in Photoshop & stitch back together into 1 mipmap to have variation on each tile while keeping it tileable,in order to have less repetition of the pattern on the distance,the only problem is that udk doesn't import dds,so I have 2 questions:

1) is it possible to save a mipmap in another format that udk can use?
    2)if not,it is possible trough some setting to operate on the autogeneration of the mipmap in order to improve it in some way?
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    got some little issues,like the light shaft from the sun beign somehow offset on an axis,but anyway I made the water,only thing is that I have had to use the tileable normal of it made by someone else,so my question is,there is some tutorial around about how to go to create waves tileable normal??
    Also,I put a 4k normal map on the terrain,for some reason is working strangely on some areas,doing very dark stuff, but I could hide the spots with rocks,my problem is,how I have to set the material to keep this terrain normal & at the same time to have the normal of the layers overlaying it when I paint those?

72457994.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    up,doing the tree now :)

54408883.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    I was not happy with the old terrain,so I have attempted an overpaint on it & I am now trying to realize that,doing something while following something like a concept is better that just go random in worldmachine & use wathever it give to me :S
    So here an early very rough wip
    the top right area is empty cause there will be a giant wall,like protecting a huge city,also got to think to something else for the plain,now is just too much plain :)
    16513492.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    I simply can't belive what did just happen to me...
    I was doing the final touches in worldmachine,added the snow based on height & ready to export the map to udk when suddenly worldmachine crashes,I open it again but in a moment of distraction I do double click on "Save" icon instead of "Open",choosing my map & realizing 1 sacond later that I gave it the confirmation to overwrite my map with a blank file :poly127: :(
    Now everyone should take example from 3ds max,every program should have an autoback function... :(
  • North
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    omg that gif is truly scarying me xD
    though,I still have the old terrain,I just continue there.