Home General Discussion

Xnormal vs Other Baking options

HashBrownHamish
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
HashBrownHamish polycounter lvl 5
So i just used xnormal tu bake my normals and ambiant occlusion maps for the first time and i really liked the speed of it and the feel. And i was wondering if there are any other options out there that might be even better ??

I've been using 3ds max's render to texture till now and that usually not only seems to take longer but is more bothersome as in i have to set up cage etc etc..

Here is a comparison of both maps that i did using xnormal and 3ds max render to texture.

Here's a quick thought is setting up the cage in 3ds max then exporting it and using it in Xnormal a good way to go about things?

Xnormal:

OKTnHi3.png

3DS Max:

K6StJNm.png

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Yup, I think Xnormal is better than baking in Max. Take your low poly, convert it to edit mesh or put an edit mesh modifier on it, then your projection modifier for a cage and export it as an Xnormal SBM. Inside Xnormal when you load your low poly SBM check "use cage". No need to export your low poly & cage as seperate OBJs!
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Yup, I think Xnormal is better than baking in Max. Take your low poly, convert it to edit mesh or put an edit mesh modifier on it, then your projection modifier for a cage and export it as an Xnormal SBM. Inside Xnormal when you load your low poly SBM check "use cage". No need to export your low poly & cage as seperate OBJs!

Can you elaborate on that . so I'm retarded i usually export the cage and mesh seperate . Are you saying i can export the mesh with the projection modifier on top of it and then just check the use cage box in xnormal ? At it will find it ?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, Xnormal installs an export format called SBM that can export your low poly with its cage. It's slightly weird that it will only work if your model is an edit mesh.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    makes sense , i only ever exported an editable poly. I feel so dumb such an extra step lol. Thanks going to try this now
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    I've been using xNormal for about 8 years now and have not found any compelling reason to use or try anything else.

Maybe it's just personal preference, but I like having a non-Max/Maya baking solution.
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    I love Xnormal. It is faster and less fussy then Maya's baking options. I also briefly used froXnormal to export to Xnormal directly within Maya (http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/froxnormal) when I'm feeling particularity lazy. I've yet to find a product that is a) faster or b) gives better results.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Substance Designer seems good, I've got a license just collecting dust at home, I need to give it another shot.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Solely on ease of baking (not compatibility with other software) I prefer 3dsmax's approach anytime. There's no need to export or collapse your stack, you can :
    - combine apply Projection modifier on different objects and you don't have to explode them anymore
    - you can add a preset and bake all selected objects with the same settings
    - you can copy/paste projection modifiers (for high poly sources) if you collapsed your low poly or made changes
    - you get a clear bake preview as it renders for any missed rays
    - many render settings (fast previews, high quality antialiasing, etc)
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    I have been using xNormal myself for about 8 years as well. It is pretty much the only baking solution I could ever want. I will say though, depending on the engine, xNormal + handplane 3d = best normals ever. I also always, always use a cage for my bakes, as I will still use max to bake pointlightmaps for certain textures
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I prefer to use Xnormal to make the cage. If you change the cage and light colours it makes it super easy to see any protrusions. I always thought the projection modifier in max made it quite hard to see what's going on.

mQkDS4bl.png
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    you can do the pretty much same in max, well, turn off the lowpoly, turn the cage to shaded and give your highpoly a high contrasting color. black works really well for me
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    you can do the pretty much same in max, well, turn off the lowpoly, turn the cage to shaded and give your highpoly a high contrasting color. black works really well for me

yup, I do something similar. This is funny since I'm kind of the anti-baking luddite.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Prefer Xnormal, because it's hella lot faster and gives better and more predictable results.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I am pretty sure all 3d software have baking tools and I have used max and modo but if you are doing characters in zbrush and making the lowpoly in an external app xnormal is ideal. You can dump the full high poly model on your disk and by just putting a projection cage on the lowpoly can bake everything without having to have the highpoly open. Also I had to decimate the highpoly when baking in max because it couldn't handle the zillions of polys from the hi version of the character and decimation always means not full res.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    kanga wrote: »
    I am pretty sure all 3d software have baking tools and I have used max and modo but if you are doing characters in zbrush and making the lowpoly in an external app xnormal is ideal. You can dump the full high poly model on your disk and by just putting a projection cage on the lowpoly can bake everything without having to have the highpoly open. Also I had to decimate the highpoly when baking in max because it couldn't handle the zillions of polys from the hi version of the character and decimation always means not full res.

If you really need to bake in max, which i didn#t need in years, don't render your mesh in viewport, and max can handle it. To do that

- set your scene to view boundingbox
    - turn off all statistics
    - import your model
    - rightclick your model
    - object properties
    - Display as box

now you can bake it without having to decimate.

to set up the cage a lower level of the meshes is more than enough, you do not need all the detail to set up the cage.
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, it is nice to not have to decimate the crap out of your hipoly for Xnormal. I've honestly never used a cage with Xnormal, I just use the the ray distance calculator. Are cages generally used for hard edged models? Or say, a whole character? I usually bake my stuff in separate pieces. Sorry if it's a dumb question, maybe I outta start using cages.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Yes, it is nice to not have to decimate the crap out of your hipoly for Xnormal. I've honestly never used a cage with Xnormal, I just use the the ray distance calculator. Are cages generally used for hard edged models? Or say, a whole character? I usually bake my stuff in separate pieces. Sorry if it's a dumb question, maybe I outta start using cages.

Cages can't be avoided if you want to use hard edges in your low poly. They are also used to set a limit for projection, that is very useful for baking tricky geometry. You also can't avoid using cages if you bake with the method of explosion. Cages are your friends. Read stickies in Technical Talk for more info.
  • phaedarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phaedarus polycounter lvl 10
    Xnormal is not available on the OSX platform unfortunately.

How does Maya's Turtle renderer stack up against it?
  • Hawkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As an OSX user I tend to go with Topogun. It isn't free but the retopology tools are great and the map baking hasn't steered me wrong yet. I tried baking maps in Maya and it was awful. Maps didn't line up properly when I tried to combine them in Photoshop with Maps exported in Zbrush. The combination of Topogun and Zbrush has worked great so far. I plan on trying Substance this weekend. I'm intrigued by what I see so far in their tutorial videos.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I recently made cages for xNormal in zbrush by just quickly sculpting the low poly mesh to fit the high poly and exporting that as .obj to lead in as a cage, which worked pretty well.

I recently gave Blender a shot and have been pleasantly surprised by the baking. I've been doing 2k AO maps in under a minute and the normal maps are only a few seconds. I haven't seen if there is a way to use a cage though.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    You can use a cage for baking in Blender if you bake with Cycles. I typically don't like to do that, though, as it's awfully slow on my machine, especially at the high resolutions that I'd prefer to bake at. There are a couple of big problems that keep me from using Blender as my main baker: first, no antialiasing, and second, there's no real way to bake a cavity map in any render. I know about dirty vertex colors, but that depends on mesh resolution instead of world space like Xnormal's curvature bake, so the results are really not as good. But the Cycles full render bakes could only be described as radical for the hand-painted style. Too bad you have to set up the bake to go overnight.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I use substance designer for all my baking(blazing fast), but both xnormal or your main 3d package works.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    I have been using xNormal myself for about 8 years as well. It is pretty much the only baking solution I could ever want. I will say though, depending on the engine, xNormal + handplane 3d = best normals ever. I also always, always use a cage for my bakes, as I will still use max to bake pointlightmaps for certain textures
    What do you mean by handplane 3D?
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    DireWolf wrote: »
    What do you mean by handplane 3D?

http://www.handplane3d.com/

Handplane will allow you to convert an object space normal to a perfectly weighted tangent space normal. I mainly do dota workshop these days, and the handplane plugin is amazing for perfect source normals baked in xnormal. Also if you are using UDK handplane can be a life saver. This also goes back to another reason to use a cage. I can bake with different plugins in xnormal, or bake maps in max, or whatever, and the results should always sync.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    As a Maya LT user, I've actually been using Turtle on a project lately. It's not perfect but it's miles faster than transfer maps for both Normals and AO, at least for a low poly bake.

I don't use xNormal for anything other than Normal maps anymore. I've found that Knald will bake out a very nice AO map (with some light tweaking), Cavity, Convexity, and Height maps all from a good normal map. It does all of that in no time. Literally a huge time saver. I should have a blog going up on GameTextures.com soon comparing xNormal, nDo and Knald baking speeds.
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cages can't be avoided if you want to use hard edges in your low poly. They are also used to set a limit for projection, that is very useful for baking tricky geometry. You also can't avoid using cages if you bake with the method of explosion. Cages are your friends. Read stickies in Technical Talk for more info.

Cool, thanks SuperFranky for the info. Will keep this all in mind on future bakes.

@ Rurouni Strife - looking forward to that write up, sounds interesting.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool

Hmm. I've never had a problem with HP meshes in xNormal. I've baked ~300mb OBJs with ease. Is there a certain limit that I have yet to run into?
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    OP:
    The original post looks like max is baking an averaged projection and xnormal isn't. Xnormal handles very high poly models better than other tools, for me that is the main reason to use it. When I have something lower polygon (not a sculpt) I like to bake in max since I can create groups for projections and skip exploding the mesh.
  • phaedarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phaedarus polycounter lvl 10
    As a Maya LT user, I've actually been using Turtle on a project lately. It's not perfect but it's miles faster than transfer maps for both Normals and AO, at least for a low poly bake.

I don't use xNormal for anything other than Normal maps anymore. I've found that Knald will bake out a very nice AO map (with some light tweaking), Cavity, Convexity, and Height maps all from a good normal map. It does all of that in no time. Literally a huge time saver. I should have a blog going up on GameTextures.com soon comparing xNormal, nDo and Knald baking speeds.

What really baffles me is why there is seemingly zero training on Turtle. Turtle is suppose to be one of the more prominent features of Maya LT and yet the only training company to even touch base on it is Digital Tutors. That one course is from a beginner's point of view and actually gives just a brief overview of the features that skips overs things like cages.

Turtle is a next generation texture baking utility and training companies avoid it like the plague; choosing instead to focus on its deprecated older brother, the transfer maps utility which produces worse results.

I don't get it.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Neox wrote: »
    If you really need to bake in max, which i didn#t need in years, don't render your mesh in viewport, and max can handle it. To do that

- set your scene to view boundingbox
    - turn off all statistics
    - import your model
    - rightclick your model
    - object properties
    - Display as box

now you can bake it without having to decimate.

to set up the cage a lower level of the meshes is more than enough, you do not need all the detail to set up the cage.
    I never have set the projection modifier on the higpoly but, that would be a way to have the highpoly in the viewport, I wouldnt bother importing a heavy mesh when I can just leave it on my disk though. Glad I dont have to bake in max.
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Hmm. I've never had a problem with HP meshes in xNormal. I've baked ~300mb OBJs with ease. Is there a certain limit that I have yet to run into?

I meant that with Xnormal, it's nice that you do have the ability to import super high rez meshes without having to decimate as much as you might for say Maya. I'm not sure if there is a limit, haven't run into any either.