Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

Workshop #4 - racer445

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
Doing this for fun when I get the time. I spent an hour today modeling the base frame as well as the bolts.

I've been using lots of smooth groups and hard/soft edge stuff lately to quickly subd things. You can download the bolts obj with both just the cage+smooth groups and the post turbosmooth+obeysmoothgroups (add a turbosmooth on the bottom ones) here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1725586/challenge4/bolts.obj

bolts.jpg

frame.jpg

Replies

• Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I defined more of the shapes, subd'd the frame, and placed all the bolts where I need to cut them into the frame. It's 2:30 am so I'll grab pix in the morning.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi Racer, good to see you joining the workshops! The shape is faithful to the references, the only thing I spot is the general width seems a little thin, and lacks the thicker part over the handle hole that runs to the back. The chassis becomes thicker starting from between the trigger and the handle holes. Do you plan to use this as base mesh for low poly version too? Even if you've just started, I can't wait to see your work finished!
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey syncviews, good to see you helping out everyone on the workshop. I'll see if I can chime in on some of these threads providing you dont beat me to it, lol. Good catch noticing where the body gets thicker, I would never have noticed that minor detail.

render.jpg

I'm starting to get used to modeling more things into the main mesh, rather than floating. It's surprisingly easy. I also modeled in the front bits that are on the bottom of the frame to the best refs that I could find. I must have spent an hour alone trying to find photos of that area without the bipod. This is the best I could do.

wire.jpg

Here's my max file, 2009 format: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1725586/challenge4/2/frame2.max
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I didn't even know this workshop was for the frame only. I guess I shouldn't continue on until the next section.
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    like all the hardsurface stuff u done before, just awesome! :) keep going!
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer.. you can continue if you want. :)
    No one stops you :)
  • BuLL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From a purely engineering point of view & not to be too pedantic.The allen bolt head orofices should be substantially deeper.(Just a little accuracy garbage.No biggie).