Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Polycount - Generals - [poopinmymouth]

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I believe this guy should be banned. I've PM'ed Kub about it.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    consider cg chat owned, I just browsed their wip's and it's understandable that they resort to this. They got nothin
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Poop that's great i didnt get to glance at the concept-vid but im sure the process will help me. I would like to commend you for your respect and helpfulness along the years as an artist i have learned a lot from you.

As for Misses.mysterious:

W0W,
    Wonder if the moderators of both polycount and CGchat can make an example out of this "person".

PooP the .he.she. is envious of you.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    i banned him/her. if he/she would like to discuss it, they will have need to talk with me.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I never understood the reasoning behind malicious attempts to demean someone who lives hundrends of miles away and having the nerve to hide one's identity. That's low.
    I'll bet CGchat is pretty pissed about it too. Let's be sure to *not* do the same in return.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for the comments guys. The above concept really helped me nail down the general direction, and now I'm just trying to push and massage the specifics. I'm not going to pose her like that, but I might try to make it more like Arsh's paintover. You crack me up everytime man.

Tonight I tried to nail down some proportions that I liked for the body, and then experiment with different cuts and patterns. My main goals are:
    1) make her read like a general. I'm going to be playing with insignia and bars later, but for now just the cut of her uniform, where the large patterns lie, and any silhouette changes, are my main concerns.
    2) Get across that she's a deck officer. Important for her position and her brain, rather than her brute force.
    3) Come up with the right hair style/color/eye color/facial features and expression.
    4) Design an interesting pose and base to carry across her subtleties, position, and evil nature.

Still tackling number one, but I think I'm getting closer.

concept_6.jpg

poop.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    poofy pants for poopy pants!
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    The stripes on her arm made me think of an admiral or something naval rather than a general. I'd go for the first stripe variant that follows her hand. I'm not sure i approve of the riding pants either. wink.gif

But other than than i like where you are taking this uniform, it looks right out of an evil army.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good poop! Just a suggestion, maybe you could give her a split skirt, it would add more to the silloutte than the poofy pants I think. Just a suggestion.
    A quick paint over, hope you don't mind.

PaintOverPoop.jpg
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    What's wrong with a few naval troops? We want to get those soldiers shipped from planet to planet, after all!
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    coming along nicely ben.. me and travis both dig the horserider thighbulges in the third one on concept6.jpg.. .the thing that bothers me is that all your little silhouettes look awesome, but the second you dive into a more detailed painting you lose the cool shapes and poses. why not do the details right on top of a scaled-up-thumbnail?

anyway, nice progress going on here dude.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I've got her reading more like a general now. I'm still not 100% certain about the riding pants, but I think I'm gonna go with them. I have to move this month, and I leave for Europe the 3rd of March, so I need to move into the modeling stage soon. I'm pretty happy with the extra time spent in this stage however. Go Go concept dark arts!

concept_7.jpg

poop.gif
  • gilbert72
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilbert72 polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Poop, you probably won't value my opinion since I'm CG, but I think you should stick with the riding pants. Maybe get some reference material to pull them of without them looking strange though. When you're coming to Europe, will you be visiting The Netherlands? I'll buy you a beer!

Greetz, Gilbert
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    I like where you're taking the uniform, especially with the funky epaulets and lanyard. I have to admit that, markings-wise, I preferred the navy-style rank on the sleeves (I've always thought that looked real sharp).

As for the riding pants, I like the idea, but at the moment they seem a little funky. It seems like the flare should extend further down, almost to the boots. Right now it looks almost like she has a couple barrel things strapped to her legs.

Or wait. Maybe I'm thinking of those old WW2-style pants+kneeboots.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i'm proud of you poop, this is a lot more refined. i'm glad you took the time to zero in on the refined details of the uniform. the riding pants are cool because they suggest a very specific application or association, a context within which to play this general. as you develop it the model and texture if you keep that sort of detail in mind, this will be as strong yet subtle and understated design as you're shooting for.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    great stuff poop smile.gif more exagerated... mabey

Jody
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, if there ever was a concept that has pulled itself up by its boot straps and clawed it's way out of medicority it is this one. Nice work!

I can't say I'm hot about the boxiness of the pants as it takes her sexiness away. Maybe mimic her curves in the pockets?
    Ideas how to handle the pants.
    Ref_01
    Ref_02
    Skirts:
    Ref_04
    Ref_05
    More pants
    Ref_06
    Ref_07
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Poopster, lookin fine! I got your flared riding jodphurs right here. You gotta be kicking it VonStroheim style! The flares are not padded at all, they are simply seamed extensions of the thick, probably woolen fabric. Looks like there is piping along the seams of The Von's britches here. The inseam lining is of a smoother, less chafing material.

/jzero
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Skip the riding pants. Riding pants don't square out like that, they flare our gradually from the hip, wither in a curve, back to the knee, U.S. style, or a straight line away from the waist and then a sharp cut back Nazi style.

also skip the napoleonic button count. maybe even hide the buttons except for a ceremonial one to hang Foix de Guerres (sic) or lanyardsoff of. Doadd insignia. pad the shoulders, and maybe acessorize with piping and colored collars or jacket lapels. A few brilliant colored accents , but tastefully done, would read as officer, to many garish stripes or insignia and they would read a s adrum major, or senior sergeant.

Scott
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry Gilbert, no Netherlands this time, but it's on my list! Of places to bomb... er, VISIT, yes that's the word. 8-)

Lotekk, I'm actually planning on playing a bit more with the shape, placment, and thickness of her riding pants "fin".

Thanks Gauss, your constant prodding over the years has helped me stick with this stage a bit longer than I normally do, and I can see why you've suggested I do so. 8-)

Gok, you poof, get back to CGchat! And get ready for a buttkickin in Edinburgh!

Scott, Jzero, and Vig, I'm going to play with the pants a bit more and come up with something a bit more refined, but I am going to keep the general idea of them.

Scott, I actually thought about all those things, but after making the buttons less visible, I really like them more prominently displayed. I also don't like the overkill look of badges and insignia most generals have jangling, but I do believe I want one more, prominently displayed piece of rank on her left chest.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement guys, now it's time to show these CGfools that we mean business, with a capital SEXY.

poop.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a bit done on the head tonight. I've decided with the amount of stuff I have on my plate with moving and losing the last week because of travels, I am foregoing the normal maps on everything. I might not use them at all, but for now I'm planning to use them on the leather cuffs and boots. I will be using spec though, and some special FX shaders I got cooking up, muaahahaha.

delilah_01.jpg

Also, the full res (the previous have been half res) "final" concept orthos.
    http://www.poopinmymouth.com/net/pcount/delilah/concept_8.jpg

poop.gif
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Looks almost childlike... but pretty durn good. laugh.gif A lot more realistic than I could have done.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    It all looks good so far Poop. Interesting to see the progression on this one. I don't think you'll lose out too much by forgoing normal maps. The design doesn't particularly call for it anyway.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    damn you and your propriatary tools!! you need to make a special dominace war FX shader for polycount, and since its not really for in game give us lots of slots and spinners and color value changamy do wangys so we can make tons of cool materials and tweek them accordingly.

looking cool with the wire, you need to do more, looks like your starting to slow down slacker.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    delilah_02.jpg

Arrrg, so late, I'm going to bed! Arshlevon kept me up all night long. I'll let him explain.

poop.gif
  • Jhotun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jhotun polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, she reminds me a bitch teacher i had years ago. She used to stretch the ears of the pupils with amazing cruelty.

Mmmm... good way :P
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Arshlevon kept me up all night long. I'll let him explain.

[/ QUOTE ]
    With that kind of an intro, do we really want an explanation? tongue.gif

Looking good, but she seems to be looking a little mannish. Or at least teenage guyish. I think it might be the jaw. Of course, you might be going for that look, and textures will likely help anyways.

Oh, and for whatever reason, the riding pants are rather growing on me. I still think she should get her admiral sripes back, though. smile.gif But that's just me.
  • Noisybast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noisybast polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good so far Poop. How many polys have gone into the head so far?

Looking forward to seeing the uniform.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    its cool, but its boring, too symetrical too. Give it some character, something to make it stand more. Now I dont see anything that catch my eye and attract me for a few sec, and make me think uh thats cool.

Now its just Meh. Ok. Move along ya know?
    oh and she look a bit like a tomboy, But I guess thats allright, since a military girl as to be a bit. But if shes high class, I dunno. Lol

anyway. YA! k ! cool!

b1ll
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    She does look a little young to be a general.
  • solar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    Solid start poop. Asymetrical details could be added after the uvs are laid out, could be easier that way no?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok,first up.
    delilah_03.jpg

3/4 view.
    delilah_04.jpg

Her gun.
    gun_01.jpg

And, here is the video from her body stage, sped up about 90 times.
    body_speedup.gif

poop.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    nice start mate ^^
  • Timex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timex polycounter lvl 18
    cool laugh.gif,normals maps laugh.gif !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Looks fantastic so far mate. Only crit would be that i can't help but feel that the largish size of her head is making her seem really young to me, like about 15 or something.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was actuallying thinking the same thing Daz. I'll fix that tomorrow for sure. I don't want to pull and EQ or anything.

poop.gif
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    I really like the color and design choices you've made, Ben. I do agree with Daz's comment about the head. And Vig makes a good point about the pants. The trousers would probably start closer to the hip and flare rather than retain a boxy shape. She might also read more like a general if you dropped a hat on her head. But you are really nailing this one, and I'm excited to see your progress!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Miles! I did end up scaling the head a bit, I think it looks better now. I did end up concepting a generals hat, but I'm not sure if I'm totally sold on the idea.

These are my standard low poly hands just standing place for her real ones. I'll probably start from these, but aim for a more feminine look plus I have about 280 tris to round them out a bit.

She's sitting at 4712 right now, and I don't currently have anything else to add, save rounding out the hands.

delilah_05.jpg

poop.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    The birds face reminds me of her out of spider man 2.. Kirsten dunst..

Nice job so far ben smile.gif
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome- where's the lanyard?
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    very nice man,slick,
    this one definalty looks like a chick.
    and yes i agree she is very Kirsten Dunstable
    but no,not at all very Rudy Huckstable.
    and since your racist you probably didnt know,
    Rudy Huckstable was a character on the Cosby show.

nice job man, goof-O-meter is off the scale!!!

and i am dissapointed in you, i really thought you were above this type of taco town.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Its Huxtable, n00b!

Other than that, nothing useful to add. Really digging the model so far.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    yo ben, this is coming along nice! I like the attention to detail on the gun.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    this is coming along great, can't wait to see these videos.

i don't think it would work here, but i can just imagine her holding one of those tiny horse whips; http://www.clipclops.com/Brochure%20Images/Whiplarge.jpg
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Looks very cool dude, although I would make her a tad more menacing, she looks very "young girl in nazi outfit".
  • toebeeone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toebeeone polycounter lvl 17
    Looking really nice. I dont think she needs too be any more menaceing. She has a bit of an angry look about her, and no one ever said that the bad guys had to look bad.
  • PolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyMonkey polycounter lvl 17
    Don't mean to hijack the thread Poop, but I couldn't resist. Came across this last night. Happy Valentine's Day! wink.gif

Arsh_Poop_VDay.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It's the guy in the background just underneath the "len" of "Valentine" who is catching my attention - he looks really frightened by whoever is taking that photo!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! Awesome Jeff.

I was going to put on my skeptical face, but I can't bring myself to do it. Happy Valentines day to you too. 8-)

poop.gif