Home Unreal Engine

Need Help with Close to finish game

Alright I have a few MAJOR issue problems with my game thats about finished

[LIST=1
[*]Walking up stairs
Now I think I know how to change both my height and my walkablefloorz in the pawn.uc but when i change it and recompile NOTHING happens :(
[*]Weird Shadows
For some reason these shadows apply to all of the walls on this floor.... >_<
[/LIST]

Needed info about my game:
  • I use static meshes for all my walls not BSP ... cause i suck at that stupid tool
  • I've been able to chang my pawn info on other computers
  • I changed the pawn.uc and didnt add a mod
  • im on Sept. 13 UDK

Heres some images to go with my issues

http://i.imgur.com/JlOh1VO.jpgJlOh1VO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pVoc5mu.jpgpVoc5mu.jpg

Replies

• iZac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are my questions seriously that hard to answer?? im a huge noob so assumed they were dumb questions
  • Shift`
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No one really can tell if your questions are hard or not because they are hard to understand.

1.Check the collision on the floor pieces it sounds like they may not be flat or they may just be having some issues.

2. If you character is normal size and is walking up normal sized stairs you can just place a sloped blocking volume on the stairs and the character will be then walking up a ramp. It wont give the camera bounce and should be real smooth.

3. Check your shadowing properties. If you dont want them to have shadows just turn off accept shadows or make the objects that are casting the shadows don't have cast shadows turned on. Or put everything into separate lighting layers.

4. Not really sure on this one, you can try remaking the collision mesh or even use simple collision from UDK.
  • iZac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry wrote this really late

Ya i made the floors in maya and ive checked that they are all aligned and flat many times and they are.

Derp i meant to add that the collision mesh on the stairs are already a ramp.
    the issues due to the angle of the collisions i need to change the WalkableFloorZ in the pawn.uc but when i change anything in the Pawn.uc nothing changes Plus this is an issue due to me needing to raise the camera height

I think im just going to turn off shadows for the walls and floors and hopefully that'll fix it... its being odd and is getting the shadows on the left wall and applying it to every wall on that floor. Soooo hopefully no shadows work

i use single planes for all the floors and just made it collision per face im going to try a box collision and see if that changes anything

thanks for the reply it means a lot
  • iZac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shift` wrote: »
    No one really can tell if your questions are hard or not because they are hard to understand.
    4. Not really sure on this one, you can try remaking the collision mesh or even use simple collision from UDK.

Fixed both of the collision issues with the whole making collisions from scratch TY! sometimes it just takes talking about an issue to realize how easy it is to fix
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm glad you got things sorted out :)

In the future, I highly suggest you don't change/modify Pawn.uc (or any other default scripts/uc files that come with udk). It's the base class of all pawns (Pawn>GamePawn>UDKPawn>UTPawn). Changing pawn.uc will affect every other pawn (unless the extended pawn overwrites the inherited value/function).
    Instead create your own custom pawn (extend it off pawn, game pawn, udk pawn or UTPawn) and just add the changes to your custom pawn (you add the variables, and values you want, and/or overwrite the inherited function by creating one with the same name, but different functionality).

For BaseEyeHeight for example, you've changed the value in pawn.uc. UTPawn sets BaseEyeHeight also. So if your game is using UTPawn, even though you've changed that value from pawn, UTPawn's value is going to be used (it overrode the inherited value from pawn. If you made a custom pawn extending off of UTPawn, your custom pawns BaseEyeHeight would override UTPawns, when your using your custom pawn).
    Hope that makes sense.