Home Unreal Engine

can't place objects in new scene

walkonsky
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
walkonsky polycounter lvl 11
I've got the following strange (at least to me) problem with udk:

I've had the problem that I wasn't able to place objects (static meshes) in my scene by dragging them from the content browser into the viewport. In another case, I could do exactly that and I have no idea how that case was different from the other.

This is what I did just now:
opened UDK (March 2012) and opened a new map
saved the map (as "riad" in a new folder also called "riad" in the UDKgame/content folder
imported meshes as static meshes to a group in the scene's folder
i get this in windows explorer and udk's content browser:
paths.jpg
the meshes seems to imported perfectly fine, i can view them udk's static mesh editor.
however, i can't drag them into my scene. the cursor turns into that 'forbidden'-sign (however it is actually called)
placing meshes from udk's meshes or my own meshes from another package into the scene works fine.

I would assume that the problem is some kind of issue related to the paths of my package.

I would therefore really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice or try to give me a better understanding of udk's file system...

Replies

• tuxmask75
    Offline / Send Message
    tuxmask75 polycounter lvl 10
    Try clicking in the viewport first to select an object, sometimes udk gets goofed up.
  • JonathanLambert
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    Try saving your meshes in a package separate from your level.
  • Sir_Dillon
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir_Dillon polycounter lvl 6
    Hey!

Did you find any help for your problem yet anywhere else?

I experience the same problem. I cannot drop meshes into the scene, apply any materials I import or create - not to imported meshes, not to udk-produced primitives...

From time to time I cannot save my packages for any reason I dont understand. So I cannot load/unload packages either... Some tip I read was playing with that...

I already tried all I can think of: create new packages or levels, with same names, different names whatever...

Still searching the web. No solution yet.
    Greetz!
  • sliusanders
    Same problem, i cant place mesh from package grupe.
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    As far as I know if you import your package to your .udk (map) package, UDK won't let you drag and drop the mesh into itself (from .udk map package on the content browser into the same map open on viewport) so what you can do is to save the asset to an external package .upk, it will let you drag and drop fine (just like what you've said "placing meshes from udk's meshes or my own meshes from another package into the scene works fine")

Sir_Dillon - you cant save the map package from content browser, map package save using the button on toolbar. External package, however, save using the content browser.
  • alecchalmers
    Offline / Send Message
    alecchalmers polycounter lvl 10
    @Revel
    Sorry for the complete noob question, but I have the same issue, and I was wondering how I can save my asset to an external package? I thought I did this, but I still can't place it in the scene, so I thought maybe I haven't done what you said and just misunderstood.
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @alecchalmers - you can check on your content browser, there should be map_yourmap.udk (for your map/ scene files) and pkg_yourmap.upk (for your assets; meshes/ textures/ effects/ etc), if you found your assets on your map_yourmap.udk then that's the problem, just create new package from the content browser (notice the different name between the udk and upk file, not just different file extension but actual name also need to be different, you can name anything you want as long as it's different, but for convenient i name my .udk map file with map_ prefix and .upk package file with pkg_ prefix), right-click and save package then it will pop-up a save dialog box and just save it next to your .udk file on the same folder. After you done all that, you can drag-and-drop the assets into your scene.
  • alecchalmers
    Offline / Send Message
    alecchalmers polycounter lvl 10
    @Revel
    Oh wow, now i understand (and feel really dumb). I just jumped headfirst into UDK and didn't take the time to understand the extreme basics like this. Thank you so much for that thorough explanation.
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Glad that I can help! I did face the same problem when I started learn UDK so why not share the knowledge :)
  • Sir_Dillon
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir_Dillon polycounter lvl 6
    All right.

Its been a while. And since I last fumbled wit the UDK I have had a lookout for a reasonable structure of folders and stuff where to save my files and where to import them from. Cant say whether I do it all right at the moment, but I did not have these Issues again so far.

The last comment has some last good guidelines. Thank you for that, too!

Cheers! =)