Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Noel Cower

Replies

• Nilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    Boy, it's been a while. I think the last update was shortly before I got my Mac and everything hit a stand-still while I adjusted to the system. Anywho, got art stuff and all that mostly down again (although I miss having a proper model viewer). So, with that shit out of the way, I set out to figure out how to code for my new-found object of masturbatory acts. Given that I just quit my job, I've had a ton of time to spend on this sort of work again, and after a few days I think I've gotten the sort of flow down to do this work.

As such, for practice I've been working on completely rewriting my old level editor of sorts using Objective-C/Cocoa, in a way it's an exercise in teaching myself the MVC pattern that Apple shoves down your throat like so many other sexual jokes relating to the Mac.

This is about 6 hours into the rewrite, and I managed to get some Blender-style panels going and a quick GL view (I haven't thrown input tracking into it yet, but that shouldn't be too difficult).

wec-1-t.png

It's kind of bare right now, since I've not bothered with any views other than the 2D grids. Most of the time was spent on the nifty little panels that I'm oh-so proud of.
  • Uly
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    it's like if a butt programmed a program
    i guess it's ok. i guess
  • Nilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Now I'm just confused.
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet! Are we looking at a bsp editor, or just static meshes?
  • Nilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably something like Radiant if I get that far. At least brush-based stuff, since that's always been my personal favorite way to make maps.
  • Nilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Q2W got .obj loading support, so I can continue making models again I think. At any rate, I don't have to worry about jumping through the flaming loop of poo to get an .md3 model anymore.

o and i maed a burl
    burl.jpg
  • Nilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Health tank models. Not quite finished, but close since I more or less have how I want them to look finished.

tank-small.jpgtank-med.jpg
    tank-large.jpglarge_d.png

Pushing to get some more advanced rendering techniques- at least those of Q3 era shaders- for models, but as-is the best I can do for these is a diffuse map. Should I get something more advanced, I'm aiming to get an effect like this.

Images lost in server crash.
  • Nilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Bunch of images above are gone, just ignore those posts, the pictures were lost in a server crash (was hacked) and I don't have 'em anymore.

Anyhow, some pictures.
    shardborne4-20090925-213815.png
    (I removed most of the overlaid vaginas from this picture - the others aren't visible >_>)
    fisheye-20090806-112429.png

Dinky little one
    colorwithdrawal-20090924-125832.png

And a few things over at odosketch:
    http://sketch.odopod.com/sketches/98464
    http://sketch.odopod.com/sketches/97588
    http://sketch.odopod.com/sketches/97564
    http://sketch.odopod.com/sketches/97462

Also, while it's not really visual, I ended up working on this for a short consulting job:
    http://leadwerks.com/

If you read the dev. blog, Josh talks about using Lua and such at times - I wrote the Lua interop layers (there were two versions, I was contracted to replace the first one [first one was an experimental project I open-sourced]). Not all that interesting, but hey, my code is in a moderately successful (for the market it's aimed at) product.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • Nilium
    Offline / Send Message
    No, just doodles that I may one day (in other words, not likely to) apply to a model.
  • Nilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to make a model for ol' fisheye up there. Still WIP, since making a model to fit a texture is kind of a pain. Also, modeling is hard now that I haven't done it in a while (doesn't help that my mouse jumps around on the screen like it's got epilepsy either - I have a whole host of disparaging comments about Logitech).
    fisheyex2-20090929-010455.png
  • Nilium
    Offline / Send Message
  • ngs616
    That is coming along very nice. I'm curious how the cranium will look.
  • Nilium
  • Carl Brannstrom
    I like your style!

It reminds me of id-games like quake 3.

Keep it up!
  • Nilium
    Offline / Send Message
    This isn't strictly art, mostly coding, but I've been fiddling with UI stuff recently. So, I'll go through these chronologically...

First off was a sort of vertical tabstrip thing I made.

video-20100111-145246.png

There are a few more videos of this, at varying stages of development. Not really a lot of difference between them unless you know what to look for. I thought it was pretty fun to write, the end result is definitely something I can reuse later (although it could certainly do with optimization, since I was using my pretty slow animation code [it depended on reflection for most things, so there was a pretty significant cost to speed]).

However, I wasn't really happy with having it all done using the 2D module for BlitzMax (I'm rather fond of my BASIC variants), since this sort of stuff is a lot more useful in native applications - in this case Mac OS applications - so I set about rewriting that code as an NSControl subclass using Objective-C. End result:

VTabTest-2-20100214-024924.png

Again, more work in progress videos are up, but they're not that interesting. The end result is less reusable than the first version just because I hadn't bothered to make any code for this to work in Interface Builder and I didn't feel like taking the time to turn it into a library instead of just having it a bit of code in a test application. Still, served as a nice intro to NSCells (they're used to render the text for the tabs). Performance isn't as good as it could have been, I think using Core Animation would have produced better results.

And that leads to the latest test, which was to familiarize myself with Core Animation. This is, in many respects, much more reusable than the previous things - and it's not a tab strip - and is much, much faster, but it is frankly a very useless bunch of code. I have no plans of making a chat client or some Twitter app, so the code will likely remain unused for as long as it sits on my drive, which is fine. At worst it'll serve as a nice reminder of how things work if I forget what I learned. So, more video, because I like to abuse Jing:

LayerTest-20100214-030155.png

There are only two other videos of this, and they are actually quite distinct (at least visually) from each other. As such, I will give them their own image links:

click-20100214-030919.png asd-20100214-030608.png

So that's that.
  • Nilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Found this neat drawing thingy on ChromeExperiments and did a bunch of doodles in them. Still doing a bunch. Most of them have been culled for the sake of removing what I don't like.

Anyhow, pictures:
    lumpy-20100305-015449-t.pngtree-20100305-021540-t.png
    teef-20100305-032053-t.pnglumpsy-20100305-110952-t.png
    asd-20100305-130115-t.pngskelly-20100305-125726-t.png
    smilewide-20100305-141410-t.png
  • ALPHAwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    ALPHAwolf polycounter lvl 18
    NIce stuff noel.
  • Fleafa
    That Scribbler is awesome.
    Nice sketches using it!
  • Nilium
    Offline / Send Message
    With finals upon me, I am now doing what I do best: procrastinating by doodling. And I got mudbox recently, so the doodles are 3D. And on spheres.

Anyhow, this is a ball I gussied up with some faces and ears and hair. I like the back face more, I think.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGCrW16qkuw[/ame]

And a picture of the back face, since it's the best:
    sad-20100508-145054.png

Edit: Another video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwkXD6Q2AGA[/ame]
  • marlfox8
    ok.. that fat boy is kind funny. awesome stuff here
  • Nilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Been doing some zbrushery lately, since I finally pulled enough money out of my ass to afford the student license as a gift to myself. Anywho, to start, here's some random alien body I was working on, just built it out of zspheres/sketching to get used to that. I'm sure you'll agree the feet are retarded as hell.

boyo-20110105-174555.jpg

And lately I've been working on a solitaire app for Chrome ('cause I need a solitaire app on my Cr-48), so I decided to do the artwork for the cards by making these little sculpts. First is the ace of spaces bit, second is a WIP ace of hearts image.

bigger-20110109-192413.png
    And on the card:
    Cards-20110109-195139.png

ZBrush-20110110-022233.png
    Will probably look sort of like this scaled down:
    ZBrush-20110110-025037.png

The card sculpts are ultimately going to end up being crammed into a space that's about 68 to 76 pixels wide, so I'm trying not to spend too much time being perfect about everything on 'em. Scaling it down should make any small errors more or less unnoticeable, too.
  • Nilium
    Offline / Send Message
    After running on very little sleep and fucking around in ZBrush/code/watching videos of kitties all day, this is all I have to show for myself:

qcky-20110113-204727.jpg

I am good at nonsense anatomy. Also, this is inspired by Jasp's sculpt over in the speed modeling thread, so I thought it would be a lot of fun to sculpt something like that.
  • Nilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently toying with doing higher detail bits and polypainting. Was baffled why I sucked so much at polypainting earlier, but I think the big issue is that my sculpts previously have had no real texture to them and so it just ends up looking pretty flat and ugly. Doing the painting while putting in smaller details seems to work pretty nicely.

ZBrush-20110114-201237.jpg
  • Nilium
    Offline / Send Message
    More polypainting fiddling. Posted the sculpt for this over in the speed modeling thread, too.

ZBrush-20110121-025747.jpg
  • Desislava
    That's awesome! Where are the hands and feet?
  • Nilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, been a while since I posted anything. Anywho, did a quick sculpt of a tooth-baby thing (not really a baby). Was inspired by this one baby thing in Fuan no Tane. Large teeth in it seem to be a recurring thing - not sure if that's a staple of Japanese horror or what's going on there, but I like it. Not really decided on what to do for the hands and feet. The head also needs some fixing up.

20110312-fprsnmxkm8yhbx8nxpdqu64g1j.png