Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toby.rutter polycounter lvl 7
    @Toyoka
    It's really easy to do, especially because you tend to work so much closer to the model than its ever seen in game. You've just got to take a step back every now and again
  • Linko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    The Queen of Pain is really beautiful and i love the thumbnail.

I will do a set for Alchemist, i start with the sword.

cc365599-f539-4d60-911d-b2827c6ec775.jpg
  • Toyoka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toyoka polycounter lvl 5
    @Toyoka
    It's really easy to do, especially because you tend to work so much closer to the model than its ever seen in game. You've just got to take a step back every now and again

Indeed. I'm now making sure I zoom out every now and then to make sure the item is readable from afar, and I'm trying to utilize my polys as much as possible to get an interesting silhouette. So after some time, I reworked my dagger and here's the result! (350 low-poly):

c8adae16ae.jpg

I decided to scrap the cloth thing altogether and I like this version much better! :)
  • TommyTehZombie
    I'm going to have to try that trick with the textures, its always looked like they come out a little blurrier than they should..

Almost done with this.

P69AxoR.png
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    So the image is a bit big to put in this page, so click the thumbnail for full effect. This is why I down sample my textures manually. It is much better to retain smaller details, even at shitty resolutions like 256x128.

th_DownsampleExample.png

Edit: Images are from HLMV if you were wondering
  • TommyTehZombie
    Yeah just tried it, looks waaay better, thanks for the hot tip!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    alright guys, it's been a while, and a ton of projects coming up in between, but it's finally up! please vote if you like it!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=314643567

[URL="[url]http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=314643567[/url]"]eeSama_lunaTurnaround.gif[/URL]

link to set in dota hattery:
    http://dotahattery.com/workshop/luna/selemenesreturn/

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Gby2Kv5PM
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Guys, really brave move with the use of a single icon for the set! It is about time the workshop sets move to that direction!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    Guys, really brave move with the use of a single icon for the set! It is about time the workshop sets move to that direction!

If Valve wasn't going to do anything then I figure we might as well take it into our own hands. It benefits everyone, I think.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    alright guys, it's been a while, and a ton of projects coming up in between, but it's finally up! please vote if you like it!

Best Luna ever, happy to finally see it finished and uploaded!
  • penOr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    @ bounch

Really nice of you guys to condense your set into a single icon, many people will appreciate that.

How did you display your set on dotahattery?
  • toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Toyoka
    Very nice, I would suggest maybe adjusting the thickness in places so there is some constrast between being thin at the point and wider towards the base of the blade. That contrast of shape can help the read of the silhouette.

@bounchfx
    Dat luna set. Love the pose you've used in the promo turntable and the video really sells the set.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, i start making a lone druid set and cant decide which color scheme to choose, halp D:
    5394yST.jpg
    Vote here http://strawpoll.me/2579778
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    I'd say the fur from the second with a darker purple like the purple on his cloth, with the beard from the first.
  • toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zalakzik

I like the purple and blue fill colours, possibly the purple a little more but I think the contrast between the blue and the light fur on the middle design is the best thing out of the three designs
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Echoes of the Eyrie for Vengeful Spirit is finally published!
    Big thanks to Abyss FX for the particles work!

Go vote for it if you like it, link on the image ;)

BKPQdHN.jpg
  • Toyoka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toyoka polycounter lvl 5
    @Toyoka
    Very nice, I would suggest maybe adjusting the thickness in places so there is some constrast between being thin at the point and wider towards the base of the blade. That contrast of shape can help the read of the silhouette.

You're right, there seems to be lacking in thickness in certain areas. Thanks!

___

Good on you guys at bunchfx for condensing the set, hopefully more people follow suite. Great set by the way, guys!

___

Voted for your venge set, motenai. Looks great!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @Bounch,

The one icon thing is cool, but how do you upload all the pieces in one set?
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Baddcog wrote: »
    @Bounch,

compile everything, take the compiled folders and ZIP them?
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    @Bounch,

I believe they're all uploaded the normal way but all but one of the set items are hidden and one is just used as the "Set" upload. So say for the Luna set for example everything except the Mount is hidden and the Mount upload contains all the promotional material for the whole set (Just spitballing)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm... TF2 didn't have the 'additional items' page so I never looked into it.

tried to import through additional items page but only the main item was zipped and loaded.

Never noticed the 'hide this item' before.

So yeah, must be upload all, but put all the promos into the main piece. Mark them all as a collection but hide all the sub-pieces.

Can Valve still see the hidden items though?
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey lovelies, mihalceanu and I just published our new Clockwerk set, Falconeer Munitions! One of my favorite creations so far, I'm glad to see this baby done. If you enjoy it, please give it some love! :) Click the image to vote the set.

zPXEKdf.jpg
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    hmm... TF2 didn't have the 'additional items' page so I never looked into it.

tried to import through additional items page but only the main item was zipped and loaded.

Never noticed the 'hide this item' before.

So yeah, must be upload all, but put all the promos into the main piece. Mark them all as a collection but hide all the sub-pieces.

Can Valve still see the hidden items though?

yes valve can see hidden items, My clockwerk cog was hidden since it had no real promotional material and was a last addition when they were working on getting it ingame
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    hopgood wrote: »
    I believe they're all uploaded the normal way but all but one of the set items are hidden and one is just used as the "Set" upload. So say for the Luna set for example everything except the Mount is hidden and the Mount upload contains all the promotional material for the whole set (Just spitballing)

yeah this, except we used the Loading screen and hid everything else. I don't remember why the loading screen, but there was a reason. The mount was the first idea though. OH! It was because of the name up top, we wanted all the individual pieces to still have their 'names', so we used the load screen to have the set name/info !
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah cool, thanks guys. Yeah I think it's a much better way to submit items.

Maybe a steam workshop tut is needed to encourage this more.
  • ChiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Cottonwings: I'm loving the birdbot look, and that ponytail he's rocking.

@bounchfx: The only reason I'd be concerned about the one piece submission thing is because it states somewhere in some documentation for the workshop that hidden submissions can't be eligible for acceptance. I know that sounds paranoid of me... As an immigrant, I've just had problems with bureaucracy before. But I really hope this move works out for you guys, and that it sets a precedent for the future!
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey lovelies, mihalceanu and I just published our new Clockwerk set, Falconeer Munitions! One of my favorite creations so far, I'm glad to see this baby done. If you enjoy it, please give it some love! :) Click the image to vote the set.

Awesome Clockwerk! I really need to finish my turtle Clock
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    ChiZ wrote: »
    @Cottonwings: I'm loving the birdbot look, and that ponytail he's rocking.

@bounchfx: The only reason I'd be concerned about the one piece submission thing is because it states somewhere in some documentation for the workshop that hidden submissions can't be eligible for acceptance. I know that sounds paranoid of me... As an immigrant, I've just had problems with bureaucracy before. But I really hope this move works out for you guys, and that it sets a precedent for the future!

very, very valid point. I guess we'll see. It just came mainly out of frustration for valve being negligent in how they upkeep their own workshop. I'm curious to see what happens with it. I can't imagine it would be DENIED so much as us told to unhide the others perhaps? I'm honestly not sure.
  • Hunter-Killer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter-Killer polycounter lvl 4
    So many good sets as always, well done guys! Hopefully Valve will take into consideration allowing sets to be submitted as a single entry.

Cross post from my thread:

Decided to go back to an old submission, the Timberbot Courier. Low poly and bakes pretty much completed, now to add some colour!
    timberbotspin.gif
    timberbot.jpg

Any feedback or suggestions please let me know, thanks!
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Couldn't he look a bit like timbersaw from ingame, silhouette wise?
  • vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    @heboltz3: You are right! thanks so much for pointing out :)
    @Vovosunt: Thank you so much! I tried to change her eyes a bit, so it looks more "deeper" than angry :poly136:
    @ChiZ: Thank you mate! I made it bigger and I really prefer the new result! Btw, I loved your Doom and Lina sets :D
    @BladeofEvilsBane: Thank you!! I also loved your Rubick set, one of my favorites ever!!! :)
    @Q-ro: Damnnnn youu!! I was really happy to do the model as itself..now you gave me ideas, I believe I'll have to go further on this hahaha! Thanks man! :)
    @Anuxinamoon: Wow!!! :) I'm very happy that you liked, means a lot to me!! I'm throwing a lot of love on this mount, and I hope to make it look great! Thank you! :D
    @Paskie: You got it!;) hahaha! I'm very glad you and your daughter likes it! Thanks
    @Spudnik: I tried to fix some of it's proportions as you pointed! I hope it looks better now, thank you!

Here is how it looks now! After spending a big time on bake, i made the lod0 and painted the final colormap with gradientmap and some tweaks on contrast/saturation. Also, a huge thanks for Oni, Zaphk and Mango for helping me with this color management!
    Well, still a lot to do, so, what do you think so far?

491c542ed8.png

Also, amazing sets, cottonwings and Motenai! I really dig them :)
  • penOr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys, I need your opinion on some ward death animations!

http://gfycat.com/TotalMadeupBullfrog

Here are the spawn and idle animations in game so you get an idea of what the character is like http://www.gfycat.com/SecretWarlikeAruanas

Which one do you prefer? (more so the idea rather than how things are falling apart, I'll fix them later)
  • toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @penOr
    It's a tough one I like the momentum the first one has from the ward eye breaking up the structure but I think there's more character in having the ward eye do the double take looking at everything beneath him before falling.

The destruction feels more natural when you see it being caused by the eye rather than it falling apart basically, or thats my two cents anyway
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    penOr wrote: »
    Hey guys, I need your opinion on some ward death animations!

http://gfycat.com/TotalMadeupBullfrog

Here are the spawn and idle animations in game so you get an idea of what the character is like http://www.gfycat.com/SecretWarlikeAruanas

Which one do you prefer? (more so the idea rather than how things are falling apart, I'll fix them later)

They're very floaty. Your timing and spacing needs to be more defined. When he crashes through the ward there is little impact. The floating eyeball at the end of the death, while cute and funny, I love that stuff, total throwback to looney toons, doesnt fit in dota, it just seems out of place to me. Crashing through the ward is much more suiting, hell, even just exploding works. Keep on keeping on!
  • penOr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    @penOr
    It's a tough one I like the momentum the first one has from the ward eye breaking up the structure but I think there's more character in having the ward eye do the double take looking at everything beneath him before falling.

The destruction feels more natural when you see it being caused by the eye rather than it falling apart basically, or thats my two cents anyway

Thanks toby, appreciate the feedback
    They're very floaty. Your timing and spacing needs to be more defined. When he crashes through the ward there is little impact. The floating eyeball at the end of the death, while cute and funny, I love that stuff, total throwback to looney toons, doesnt fit in dota, it just seems out of place to me. Crashing through the ward is much more suiting, hell, even just exploding works. Keep on keeping on!

Good point about the cartoony stuff not working in dota, I agree with you there. It also does look very floaty ESPECIALLY in-game. I've been working mostly in maya and it doesn't look so bad in there haha. In-game always gives you changes to make
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Hello everyone!
    We are working lately on Dazzle set with Automedic.
    I should have shown the progress sooner, but similar to most times I wasn't happy about it till the sculpt was done ^^'

CCu4GCH.jpg

I was a bit worried that making LODs for this will be impossible, however hopefully I managed to do those and will show them as soon as diffuse texture will be ready ^______^

We aim for more dangerous and twisted version of Dazzle this time. I know he is 'only' an support, however his lore shows that he definitely is a hero ho should be feared :)
  • toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @penOr
    Maya's notoriously bad at playing animations at the correct speed. Even the real time playback is heavily influenced by how fast you computer run, the animators at work are always complaining about it.

@konras
    That sets looking sooo nice. All the details are so clean, especially the folds, I would love to see your sculpting process
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @toby.rutter
    Thanks for comment. Folds is nothing special. I prefer to keep them simple as when I go into more complex and detailed materials it really starts to look fake as I am not experienced with drapery enough. There are cool brushes to work with materials/folds that I got form here: http://www.selwy.com/2009/zbrush-clothes-tutorial/
  • toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @konras
    Thanks a bunch, I find I tend to be a bit too explicit and sculpt too much when it comes to folds, its nice to have the less detailed areas for the eye to rest and I think it really helps the design remain clear from a distance
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys so I re-uploaded my Abaddon set with Silwer/Mighty Linebeck again since it took awhile for the tax info to verify and whatnot….ANYWAY, here's the set again! Please vote it up if you like! :D

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=315439056
    ZrF08S8.jpg
    kfrQP6V.jpg
  • vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    @Konras: Wonderful sculpt as always! Very clean! I really hope to see those details on the low poly :)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Really fun dazzle set, Konras! looks great so far!
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Shameless crosspost from my thread.
    More pictures of the set is on the thread, for example one of it fully polypainted. Thanks for checking it out!
    L1dvQWT.jpg
  • Silly Old Bear
    Supsies
    New to the whole Polycount thing, slowly chugging through some Brewmaster and Spirit concepts.

Fan the flames. (Work in progress)
    LKgn9z4

The Drunken pilgrimage. (Work in progress)
    0B0qXkG
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn Konras you really step up the game, I really adore the back piece, the design looks super sick! Dazzle looks great rocking them horns.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    @Silly Old Bear
    Images are not showing :/

@Konras
    Badass!
  • archie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I have re-uploaded my phantom lancer weapon, now with custom particles!
    Do CLICK the screenshot for link with more details! and vote for it if you guys like it! :D
    3CF41EEC8C10D86AB6BF5008B6C6A9809C1F33B9
  • vinrylgrave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello awesome polycounter
    nice item sets has been produced in this forum. i love it
    i have made my set too
    click on the loading screen image to vote or check things more details
    [IMG][/img]IJgvhks.jpg

424P015.jpg

8o21Kkp.jpg