Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first scifi environment (C&C please)

Hey everyone, long time stalker, 2nd time poster...

Currently, Im a games student in my last year of study. Until my last year I was primarily concept art and 2d stuff with the majority of my contribution being textures.

Ive been building this for about 8 weeks but due to other subjects I have only just started working on it in any consistent form...anyway...

Ive been stalking other threads and have notice the awesome C&C going on and would really appreciate any form of feedback, especially in regards to my modelling.

I'll update the thread to where I am atm so excuse the huge post.

Using PS, UE4, Ndo2, Blender (not a maya fan :P)

I started off with some 30 seconds paint overs of what I wanted...These had to be quick and rough and I was really focused on my game project at the time so not much was done...

Incubator_zpsd02f563e.jpg

Blast_Door_Concepts_zps7de1cc24.jpg

20140821_171250_zps2082660b.jpg

After the concept stage I had a firm idea of what I wanted to do and that was pretty much model and get as much practice as possible in. I wanted to create a section of a ship that had crash landed on an alien planet. I envisioned some sort of transport ship holding some kind of characters...

HULL_1_zps0aab4057.jpg

HULL_3_zps3d3bc603.jpg

HULL_7_zps8fcd5340.jpg

HULL_5_zps6aa075e9.jpg

A lightbox fitting...

HULL_Lightbox_3_zps01b86226.jpg

Some power couplings...

Powerplug_1_zps23e1add1.jpg

Some grates to hide and support cables, pipes etc...

HULL_Grill_2_zps4754cec3.jpg

An incubator...

Incubator_2_zps979665f2.jpg

Over the last few years Ive worked quite a lot in Unity. This year me and my team decided we wanted to expand our engine knowledge and thus opted to start using UDK....until UE4 came out. We ended up porting our whole game over to UE4 and I started learning textures, materials, lighting and particles...Thats why I chose to build my environment in UE4...also my uni assignment demanded it be made in a real time engine...

Started to piece things together to make sure they all fitted well in engine. I found the scale in blender to be kinda weird so it took a bit of fiddling to get it right...

Here i started to plan out how I wanted the lighting...always jump ahead...

HULL_8_zpsa97ece92.jpg

some layout stuff...

HULL_10_zpsc0e2c07d.jpg

HULL_11_zps567b814d.jpg

lighting overload...

HULL_12_zps01a3a3f2.jpg

Incubator in engine...

Incubator_3_zps71d6e07f.jpg

As far as models go, this was about it...I used all of those assets and a heap of wires and cables to fill out the environment and I really think I should make a seperate post for the textures and materials...

Mind you this stage was about 2 weeks ago so Ive come a long way which you'll find out if you read on.

Replies

• Nighthwk
    My door textures...I started with these ones first. These kinds of textures are way out of comfort zone but Ive been building up a texture library and really wanted to lean more on photos then my cartoony style of painting. Ive also been painting my own spec maps and trying to learn how they worked.

As you can notice with some of these textures, they aint finished. For the assignment it is required that I only submit a fly through which means i can hide a lot of things from the camera. Ill do this for the assignment and finish it off for my portfolio work.

Diffuse

Text_Top_Door_High_Res_zps48c2667b.jpg

Normal

Text_Normal_Combined_Top_Door__zpsc9f2eb7d.jpg

Spec

Text_Spec_Top_Door_zpsf7133c3f.jpg

Emmisive

Text_Glow_Top_Door_zpsaab0ca24.jpg

and here is the bottom door...

Diffuse

Text_Diffuse_Bottom_Door_zps82f43a5b.jpg

Normal

Text_Norma_Combined_Bottom_Door_zpsf1d2df5d.jpg

Spec

Text_Spec_Bottom_Door_zps87cffce7.jpg

Emmisive

Text_Glow_Bottom_Door_zpsd64236ce.jpg

Door_Textures_zps3a36d338.jpg
  • Nighthwk
    and now the walls...

Diffuse

Base_Side_zps0acb67c2.jpg

Normal

Text_Normal_Complete_Base_Side_zps0be15c6a.jpg

Spec

Text_Spec_Base_Side_zps060e0bb8.jpg

Emmisive

Text_Diffuse_Base_Side_Glow_zps2fe412c6.jpg
  • Nighthwk
    After all this i decided to try my hand at some animating (panner)textures. Id done this before in my game project but never like this...pretty much just an alpha texture with a few of my own mask filters Ive made.

Base_Hologram_Projection_zps3660d110.jpg
  • Xazas
    Offline / Send Message
    Xazas polycounter lvl 7
    That is a really nice start, I'm eager see how it evolves.

I see you have "Spec" maps but no Roughness maps. Be aware that a spec map in UE4 is something different that you are maybe used from Unity. I'd suggest reading about PBR on polycount or the UE4 docs if you are not aware already
  • Nighthwk
    Xazas wrote: »
    That is a really nice start, I'm eager see how it evolves.

I see you have "Spec" maps but no Roughness maps. Be aware that a spec map in UE4 is something different that you are maybe used from Unity. I'd suggest reading about PBR on polycount or the UE4 docs if you are not aware already

Hi Xasas

Yeah I have read a lil bit about them but atm my master material is just setup to input a constant for roughness at this point. Most of the spec maps we have made for our game have been colour but we realised that UE4 only takes in greyscale spec maps...

Ill have a read, thanks for the heads up :)

and lastly, this is what my scene looks like to date...

first revision

HULL_14_zps9842d63d.jpg

2nd revision

HULL_15_zpseadfbec9.jpg

HULL_16_zps23909e28.jpg
  • Nighthwk
    A new SS of my scifi environment.

Floor is almost complete. Found I need to redo my walls because I made a super noob mistake of exporting the UV as 1024 and didnt notice until i had finished it...oh well..

Sorry about how dark it is, the lights flicker and I captured it during a dark section.

HULL_17_zps606c226c.jpg
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Your textures are all wrong for how UE4 renders. Look up the UE4 metalness workflow, and you will get much better results out of your materials.
  • The Divided
    To my eyes, that's bloody amazing!How did the idea come to mind? Also, how long did it take you to create the textures? I love the detail, which for me, I try to do, but I struggle with textures.
  • Nighthwk
    Bardler: Could you give me a bit more of an idea about how they are wrong? Ive looked into PBR and have setup my master material to work with PBR. I know I shouldnt be playing with specular very much but no one said I couldnt and the UE4 guys still make maps for spec and gloss/ metal.

It also works a lot with gloss maps and metal but by metal atm is just a constant parameter.

Ill take a SS of my master to show you

The Divided: Thanks. The idea is all mine, I dont really like to make other peoples concepts and usually come up with my own, this however is my first environment in 3D.

Now that Ive had a chance to work on this project, the textures have taken about 2 days in total. Hardest part was choosing a colour scheme. I come from a 2D background so texturing for me is the easy part, modelling on the other hand still gives me some grief.
  • The Divided
    I don't blame you, its good to be original, you've done well for your first! Not too long, I guess, if I may ask, I take it you've been a 2D artist? (coming from a 2D background)
  • gsokol
    My first thought is that your environment is really noisy. So many greebly bits and glowy bits and details. Consider pulling out some details and giving the eyes a place to rest. Its hard to look at your level for me because of how busy it is.

Also curious to see how your materials are set up...your textures do look incorrect for UE4's PBR workflow. You probably shouldn't be using spec at all. Just metalness and roughness for specular response.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Uh, yeah, spec doesn't really work the same in UE4.

You'll want to make a Metalness map, and use a roughness for all those shinier/less shiny bits. 'Spec' is now just a value for reflection, while roughness defines how rough or glossy a surface is. Therefore, you have it backwards a bit-- Spec should be a constant value except on metal (thus metalness maps, which define what is metal and what is not in order to separate the constant values for each), while Gloss should have all the scratches and spills and surface roughness value.

...More or less. Anyone who actually practices PBR often should correct me if I'm spreading misinformation, lol. I do know for a fact, though, that Spec is only there for legacy purposes and does not work the way you're thinking it does.
  • Nighthwk
    Master_mat_zps4ee34428.jpg

[FONT=&quot]
    I only found a out a few weeks ago that UE4 doesnt use colour spec maps and the like. I have red through all the PBR docs I could find but couldnt really find any info on how to layout roughness and metal maps. Also there are a heap of content examples that I have but I feel they are more of a showcase then a good way to learn. So much technical stuff thrown in to make the scene look nicer but they dont do really well in teaching the engine or the pipeline...IMO

The Divided: [/FONT]
    Yeah. Ive been drawing since I was a kid and have taken up digital painting around a year ago. I am primarily a character designer and a designer for games but wanted to branch out and found making this environment very rewarding and new. Im currently studying in a games degree.

Gsokol:
    I was literally just looking at the above image and thinking the same thing. I might tame down on some of the emmisive sections of the walls and doors. Like the UE4 examples, Im finding it hard to compromise between tons of detail and composition. Thanks for the input.

BagelHero:
    Am I right by saying that I could use my spec map Ive painted as a gloss/metal map because I kind of have. Most f my materials have a spec constant value of 0.5 with the spec map in a gloss/ roughness texture parameter. Ill have another trawl and see if I can find some info on a pipeline for these maps.

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it and keep em coming please :)

P.S. The quote button wasnt working for me?
  • Nighthwk
    Trawlin and I found this...

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?13453-PBR-Implications-for-texture-creation

Tons of links so Ill spend the day reading about this :)
  • sargentcrunch
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    You are only confusing yourself by using the spec map. Take it out and move completely into 2014 before you get more confused. You haven't done anywhere near enough with it that you can't turn back now and fix that. The metalness workflow is likely your best bet now.

I second the creative critiques GSokol gave ... it looks sort of "cool", but its noisy. There isn't any real composition at work, no hierarchy, my eyes don't know where to go, and the lighting isn't leading you or telling a story. It's sort of just some cool looking lights shooting around for effect. Think about each one and what their purpose is.
  • Nighthwk
    I'll get on all that asap, thanks guys...
  • jaker3278
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    Pbr aside, i think the environment is really cool. good starting point for a game.
  • Nighthwk
    Thanks Jaker, yeah PBR is currently kicking my butt but I have a major game project that I have to spend 30 hours a week on so Ill be fixing up my metal and roughness maps on Friday.

Ive had a bit of a trial and I cant seem to find the difference between gloss and metal, I mean the terms are of course, different but I can seem to see the difference...for eg...

Text_Roughness_JinRok_zps9296a038.jpg

I get the same result regardless of input of metal or gloss/roughness, spec set to 0.3.

Jin_Metal_zpsd4fb985d.jpg

This is a map i tried on a robot im texturing and i inputted it into a gloss/roughness and then tried the metal and it worked the exact same way...there is next to no details on painting metal maps...most just use constants...

Any one shed any clarity on this?
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Offline / Send Message
    Where it is metal, the metalness map should have white (or a constant of 1). Where there is not metal it should be black (or 0). Typically speaking 99% there should be only a binary 0 or 1 with the metalness map. If you are painting in grays to a metalness map, then you are doing it wrong. If you are using metalness, then don't use spec at all. I recommend you read and watch EVERYTHING in the wiki page on PBR (that's what I had to do). The highlight details go into a gloss map. the metalness map is simply saying "yes or no" to it being metal, there is no real creativity to it beyond that.
  • Nighthwk
    So it is me literally over thinking it then...

Is it just me or does gloss and metal look very similar?

At this point Im finding it very hard to tell if I really need to use the PBR system. Ive had a look through the UE4 examples and they literally have spec maps on half the environment (scifi hallway) to name 1 and gloss/roughness maps, no metal to be seen.

At this point in time Im thinking its more of a personal preference and saying something is wrong because it doesnt follow the pipeline 100% seems kind of limiting to me.

Text_Metal_JinRok_zpsbd60814b.jpg

I did paint this for the metal map (for the above character) and it looked 100% the same as gloss so...just ignore the grey sections as it was a main trial for the body to see the difference.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Seriously, forget what you know about the legacy methods and try and approach learning the PBR workflow as if you're completely new to this. We're not trying to limit you, but you're not supposed to break the rules until you know them. This goes for all forms of art, and is further enforced by the fact that by default, UE4 in particular is technically organized to work with the metalness workflow in a certain fashion.

The only thing a metalness map and gloss have in common is that they are black and white, but they are so in different ways.

A metalness map is a plain black and white (binary black and white, not a scale between black and white) map that defines whether or not something is metal. A binary "yes" or "no".

Gloss is a full greyscale map that defines how rough or glossy the surface is.

The only thing they'll have in common is if your metal is perfectly polished AND perfectly pure, you might have a value of 1 on both the gloss and metalness for all the metal parts of the object... but rarely is something perfectly glossy, and moreover you should actually be using Roughness, not gloss (in UE4), which is inverted.

I implore you to do some reading.
    PBR in Theory
    PBR in Practice
    Physically Based Rendering Bible
    Can someone explain this Metalness/PBR thing to me?

Edit: And in case you're still hanging onto that "but epic still uses spec" question, read through all this as well.
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/PhysicallyBased/index.html
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Offline / Send Message
    Understand "how" it works and "why"
  • Nighthwk
    Hi BagelHero: Thanks heaps for the explanation. I think I understand how all these maps work (found a few bits of info on the UE4 forums). The problem I have with PBR now is trying to figure out how its incorporated into my material.

I also need to become very familiar with channel masks and need to figure out how to incorporate all this into a streamed pipeline...at the moment Ive been working on something that may be on the right track?...

Thanks for the reading material mate. Ive been looking at stuff like the marmoset stuff and I get it all but they all go over how it works and what it does and not really how to implement it...even the UE4 PBR page goes on about what it all does but doesnt have any info about making materials in the editor to suit and since I have no experience with marmoset (apparently they have a similar PBR layout), all I can do is look at the UE4 examples which are highly overcomplicated for beginners.

I have been trying though....

PBR_Pipe_zps6debcda0.jpg

PBR_2_zpse3e399c4.jpg

Im thinking this is along the lines of what PBR is is its most basic form.

Sorry Im so hard headed, Im just pissed because I just learnt how to texture well, managed to do 60% of my scene and then might have to change it all (or not, I like how it looks tbh)

ScottMichaelH: I think I understand the how and why...just gotta figure out the do...lol

Are we saying that if you use UE4 you have to use the PBR pipeline or is it just something that should really be learnt for a certain process ie metal spaceships with metal everywhere...lol
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    In reality, it's really easy to "do" PBR.

-- Use metalness to mask off what is metal and what is not (easy as pie-- identify material (eg, plastic, steel, skin. Is that a metal? Yes = mask it off with white, No = Black).

-- Make sure your albedo (color) contains no lighting information (no painted in lighting or shadowing, no AO, just flat color as true to what the actual color is as you can make it). This will have wear and tear, built up dirt in cracks, smears of paint, etc. Just no actual lighting or shadowing.

-- Since you have no spec map anymore, use roughness to define what areas are glossy or matte and control the specular highlight. This is where you get to have fun with sticky patches, scratches, fingerprints, spills etc, after defining physically accurate materials (there are measured values for common materials around the place, use them as a starting point). Do not include lighting information in this-- light doesn't make a surface more or less glossy/reflective, so it has no place in this map.

-- Put AO bake in AO input in the shader.

-- Done. Add any other things you need like detail normals, fancy shader stuff or Emmissive like usual, but otherwise just put your maps into the pre-defined slots.

It's honestly just like the Diff/Spec method, only you now have better guidelines to author your maps to look "correct" in all lighting situations and environments, not to mention metal is now 10000x easier to get actually looking like metal without the fiddling.

Once this really clicks for you, you'll have nicer textures that are more versatile and take less time to do to get a decent result. So keep it up.
  • Nighthwk
    Thanks BagelHero, ill soldier on, Im currently doing the hologram base with the PBR pipeline so we'll see how I go.

Thanks again for the input peeps, ill have a walkthrough soon.
  • Nighthwk
    Quick update, lemme know if Im on the right track, just following BagelHero's post and working my way down the map chain, will alter everything once Im feeling confident with the pipeline but so far Im happier...

PBR_Hologram_zpsef0f3743.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Hey dude, looking good. I reckon once you've got a roughness pass on that, it'll look beaut.

A side note, try another image hosting site that lets you post the big image here on the forums instead of making it a hotlink, please! Getting to be a pain to have to go to Photobucket and zoom manually to see what's going on. I use Imgbox (just make use you use the "Full Size" option to get the proper image links for embedding), but there's a lot more that work just as well. Imgur is also good (but has an image limit...). and I've found postimg to be reliable for Polycount as well (the images here tend to get a fair amount of traffic, and some hosts will remove them for it).
  • Nighthwk
    Woot...im currently making a base roughness map and once that done ill start tweaking and adding material features..

Yeah photobucket is super shit to upload as well, its just I had an account with them...

Ill get steppin on finding another image hosts, cheers ;)
  • Nighthwk
    An update on my PBR learning curve...took me a full day, had heaps of trouble getting all the maps to work well together and I learnt that getting the material right with maps is way harder then just a minefield of constants everywhere.

The roughness seems to wash out my Albedo map (see if learning already :P) but I guess thats just tweaking in the roughness map or i can use a constant to control the strength of my map.

Still no AO map but thats next, Im feeling that ill have to redo my scene textures to suit but tbh, this is the hero piece so maybe I can get away with it..I really want to finish this one and start on my next project but we will see what happens...no one said you cant mix PBR and traditional techniques :P. Ill post the maps if requested.

BagelHero: Sorry about the photobucket image, i was learning all day and didnt have time to research image hosting sites...lol

PBR_Hologram_2_zps1e15874a.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Roughness controls the specular highlight, right? So if you have a high roughness, do remember that will spread the highlight to ridiculous levels and appear "washed out". How rough is this material, really? It's probably actually pretty smooth, if it's worn paint and metal. If this is "paint" on "metal", there's measured values for that (you want the "microsurface" value on the Quixel chart), even though you don't want to rely on them. You probably wanna make paint value just a little less rough, judging just by eye.
    materialref01.png

BTW, more links for future endeavors.
    http://artisaverb.info/PBT.html
    http://artisaverb.info/PBR.html
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135776

(P.S., just do a metalness+super basic roughness pass on your existing textures if you want to move on. Fair enough that you do, but I do think that'll really improve the scene, even without altering the diffuse content much).
  • mr grimm
    Offline / Send Message
    mr grimm polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man, looks like you're making progress. If I can give any advice, it'd be to hold of texturing or any color at all till last. Lighting color is good, you want to set the tone, but in my opinion I notice that if I model and bake down, light map, and normal all my texture sheets first. The environment will show it's self much quicker. I can get my composition working quickly as well. When I toss in color in the middle of all that, I can get side tracked.

Like I said, that's my workflow and it's been doing well for me since.

Can't wait to see more.
  • Nighthwk
    BagelHero: Man your a champ, Ive been trudging through google looking for references for ages. Its good to have a base to start with.

Since its not super hard to change, Im gonna go ahead and alter my scene for PBR....(DAM YOU!!!...lol)

Practice makes perfect and it seems this pipeline is the wave of the future...

Mr Grimm: Thats a great idea! Problem is that I actually make my normals from my textures. Since Im kinda new to modelling and not very good I dont really make high poly stuff yet. For my next scene though ill be doing some zbrush stuff so ill keep this in mind, thanks :)
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nighthwk wrote: »
    ....Ive been trudging through google looking for references for ages. Its good to have a base to start with. ...

This is the page I earlier recommended you read and watch everything on:

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/PBR
  • Nighthwk
    ScottMichael: Thanks mate, I did have a look through but I didnt originally think I was going to go with PBR. As I type, I have 1 week until the assignment is due so I was gonna look through those afterwards. Ive been compiling a list of resources to read through for my next project and this is 1 of those. Ive also got 2 other HUGE projects on at the moment so sleep is non-existent.

Ive been using trial and error all day to try and wrap my head around painting maps for roughness...Im doing ok but I cant seem to get the darker colours to not look black?...note the really dark checker plating in the bottom of this image..

Dark_PBR_zps2f99f6f9.jpg

Text_Rough_Base_Floor_zps97c07477.jpg

Anyone yell at me and tell me what the hell Im doing wrong...
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Is that your roughness? It's meant to be greyscale.

Additionally, could you outline what part of your map that floor is on? I don't see it.
  • Nighthwk
    A quick update:

Dark_PBR_2_zps91d786c8.jpg

Sorry BagelHero, The dark are is on the bottom of the image, its meant to be a dark grey diamond plating texture but the roughness keeps making it all black. Same with white. Ive found that I could not ever have just a mirror polished white section, it had to be a grey or off white to work...

I am doing it in greyscale, I just posted a progress shot of how I was going and I was trying to do a section at a time to get a better understanding of what greyscale shades had what result.

Im super tired now and I have myself a headache so Im gonna go sleep...since I havent in 2 days.
  • Nighthwk
    Here is a new SS of my latest PBR updates....got most of my old assets updated and now starting on the new ones... C&C plis :)

P.S. Hope you like the imgur pics :P

d5FHHdL.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    The caution tape needs to go 100%
  • Nighthwk
    Hahah...sorry caution but with this project due in 3 days and 2 other major projects to finish, I wont have enough time to redo all that hazard stuff...I do however think there is too much of it around

Here are the final screenshots of my environment:

https://vimeo.com/109360477

mHOz5h8.jpg

QU8r1MC.jpg

9XUtg55.jpg

Throughout this process Ive learnt a ton of stuff and I really appreciate the C&C everyone gave, especially BagelHero and ScottMichealH for their PBR help.

Ill be starting my next environment soon and since I officially graduate from uni this week, it will be time to improve my portfolio more and find a job.

Ive got a game in the works (since i am primarily a 2D artist and designer) and will also be starting my next environment...it will be up shortly in a new thread so please keep an eye out and lemme know what you think.

Thanks everyone :)