Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Type 56 Assault Rifle

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
TrampledUnderFoot polycounter lvl 7
Hey all,

Just wanted to pop by and post my recently finished project. It's the Type 56 Assault Rifle used by the NVA in the Vietnam War. Made for the In Country: Vietnam mod for Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

2048 Diffuse, Norm, Spec. Rendered in Max with Xolioul Shader II

t56_textured_L.jpg

You can check out our project as well as our dev blog at Pop Smoke Games | Development Blog

Thanks for looking!

TrampledUnderFoot

Replies

• Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    sexy stuff, keep up the good work!
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    I agree. This is a very nice weapon. I'd love to see a tri count and the flats :]
  • SPYFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SPYFF polycounter lvl 10
    Nice model, and I wait this mod! But, many poeple prefer Material ID based normal and AO baking. With material ID-s the scene parts stay original position, for correct AO and corect normals. (Dozer Part 2 tutorial and 3DMotive Normal Tricks tutorial for more info)
  • RobertHammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobertHammer polycounter lvl 10
    Great model :)

btw don't forget to switch that fire selector to full/semi auto - atm it is on SAFE position ;-)
  • boggy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your wire frame looks so clean! I'd like to know the poly count on this badboy also.
  • TrampledUnderFoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I'll try and post some flats tomorrow.

Exploding for bakes doesn't take too much more effort, so it's not a huge deal for me. Might be tad quicker with mat id's, but I'm used to this way and it works for me.

Will rotate the fire selector later, but wedo have selectable fire modes in game. Obviously safe is not one of those choices :p

Tri count is about 8.5k with two rounds. Some room for more optimization, but it's not too bad considering other first person models in the game.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still want flats :D
  • TrampledUnderFoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yay jpg quality \o/
    Makes the diffuse look a lot messier than it is, but there ya go :) Not the most impressive UVing I might add :P

t56_flats.jpg
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks very much! My only crit is the pretty crazy amount of edge scratching on your metals. Could be toned back a bit IMHO :) And yah those be some relatively dense UVs, could have stacked many of those UV islands to save some space and increase res. Thanks again tho, sick game weapon!
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    hey, lovely model, though i have to nitpick because I have a type 56 sitting next to me!

there's a fairly large indent on the lower reciever just above where the magazine enters, and there's also 2 little circular indents above that. There's also a series of 4 holes along the gas tube. I've circled them for you!

bNrav.jpg
  • TrampledUnderFoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you happen to know when your rifle was built? I've seen a lot of references with the indents above the mag well, but I've also seen them without. I'm a bit confused as to which is correct/more common. Easy enough to add in however, if need be.

As for the gas tube, I meant to add them in. Must have just slipped my mind before calling it done :P
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    I don't, although if you look up lots of reference, you'll find lots with either the indent like in the picture above, or the large rectangular indent like this:

ChineseType56openhood.jpg

I've never really seen one with nothing, although they do vary quite a lot I guess. Although nobodys gunna notice except assholes like me :)
  • Adriaan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adriaan polycounter lvl 8
    Milled receiver AKs have the long rectangular indent while stamped receiver AKs have the smaller one with the holes above it. I'm not sure, but I don't think there would be any without either of those two types of indents on the side. (would be interesting to see, if you've got refs of them)

The following is wikipedia information, but I'd wager its accurate enough (source) - "Originally, the Type 56 was a direct copy of the AK-47, and featured a milled receiver, but starting in the mid-1960s, the guns were manufactured with stamped receivers much like the Soviet AKM."
    So going by that, both types of receivers may have been used by the NVA, milled receiver ones perhaps more so than stamped ones.

Other than that everything looks spot on to me! Awesome modelling and nice material definition in your textures!
  • TrampledUnderFoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One without any indents. Although, the pic says its from 1986:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:People%27s_Liberation_Army_Navy_sailor_with_type_56_assault_rifle.jpeg

And another: Don't know when this is from though.
    47bayo-029205.jpg

It doesnt really matter too much, imo. I'll probably add it in anyway when I add the gas tube holes.

Thanks for the crits guys, much appreciated.