Home General Discussion

What colour is this dress?

paco
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
paco polycounter lvl 3
I'm sure you've probably already seen it, but can someone tell me what colour this dress is?

dp1v1hn8kkakvwk3rkxt.jpg

To me it's clearly white/gold, but to others it's blue/black.

Any experts able to explain it?

Some links if you don't believe me:
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/02/some-people-see-this-dress-as-white-and-gold-while-others-see-black-and-blue/

http://swiked.tumblr.com/

Replies

• Swizzle
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Saw this going viral on the internets

It literally is blue and black. Here it is from the store and its royal blue
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who cares, seriously? Why is this such a big deal? At the most this should be mildly interesting and left on facebook. It's like people have never seen an optical illusion before.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Definitely white and gold. Even after going over both those links and seeing the other image and posts, all I'm seeing is white and gold.
    I mean the white does have a slight blue hue, as if it's picking up ambient light from the sky through a window or something, but that's it.
    The second image in the second link though, in which someone is actually wearing it, it does look black and blue there. Like a totally different dress. Which I'm assuming it is.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    blue and black to me:

xeOWxCk.png
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Oh noes, not here please ...
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    No real debate about the dress itself. The image however is quite fun. The real question is, is this an "optical illusion" or something much more complex. My roommates and I have each looked at this unbiased on the same screen and then followed up by dissecting it in Photoshop, yet even the colors taken out of context were still perceived differently. This leads me to believe there must be some kind of variance in how our eyes function.

My current favorite explanation is

"Your eyes have retinas, the things that let you interpret color. There's rods, round things, and cones that stick out, which is what gives your eye a textured appearance in the colored part. The "cones" see color. The "rods" see shade, like black, white and grey. Cones only work when enough light passes through. So while I see the fabric as white, someone else may see it as blue because my cones aren't responding to the dim lighting. My rods see it as a shade (white).

There's three cones: small, medium and large. They are blue sensitive, green sensitive, and red sensitive.

As for the black bit (which I see as gold), it's called additive mixing. Blue, green and red are the main colors for additive mixing. This is where it gets really tricky. Subtractive mixing, such as with paint, means the more colors you add the murkier it gets until its black. ADDITIVE mixing, when you add the three colors the eyes see best, red, green and blue, (not to be confused with primary colors red, blue and yellow) it makes pure white.

—Blue and Black: In conclusion, your retina's cones are more high functioning, and this results in your eyes doing subtractive mixing.

—White and Gold: our eyes don't work well in dim light so our retinas rods see white, and this makes them less light sensitive, causing additive mixing, (that of green and red), to make gold."
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Polycount was the one place I was hoping not to see this today........
    jontron_nightshade_reaction_gif_by_metroid0070-d5gmyks.gif

And by the way it's blue and black, anyone seeing it white and gold is being fooled by the terrible terrible potato quality photo and overblown lighting in the back.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Seriously.

Idiots arguing over something they don't understand.

PLZ STOP.

A better question would be, why is this going viral?

Because people think having eyes is the same as understanding colour and light.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »
    blue and black to me:

xeOWxCk.png

Very interesting. While the original image looks white/gold to me, that screenshot, of the same image, looks blue/black.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    congrats everyone, for wasting your time, mine included ;)
  • paco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paco polycounter lvl 3
    I'm genuinely interested in how it can look so different to other people. Even on those colours pulled out by Swizzle it is clearly a sky blue / brown to me. I mean it doesn't seem to be a contrast thing, or even related to the blown out right side of the image.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paco, it's simply that our brain is a pattern recognizing system calibrated with real world physics.

Our eyes have soft clipping for over exposure, so when things get bright, they tend to stay relatively the same hue.

When ccd's in cameras clip, you get hard clipping, so you get wild hue variations and saturation boosts that don't exist in the physical world. Mix that in with buggy white balance and you have an alien image that is a different interpretation of the world.

And when you get an alien image, our pattern recognition systems don't all act the same.
  • paco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paco polycounter lvl 3
    I can believe that it is indeed a royal blue dress with black stripes, and that the photograph made it look sky blue/brown. What I have trouble with is how that same photograph, regardless of the underlying reality is intepreted so differently. A number of people also seem to initially perceive it one way, and then the complete opposite. That to me suggests it's not related to any of the eyes physical optics (rods/ cones etc) but it's higher up the visual pathway.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Sometimes I see one, sometimes the other! It's fun!
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    @Paco- This documentary is for you.

It's called 'Do you see what I see' and it's all about the perception of color.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    8lOp25R.gif
    It's consistently more blue in those areas.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG IS IT A DUCK OR IS IT AN ISLAND

fisherman-illusion.JPG

OMG IS IT TWO FACES OR A CANDLE STICK???

index-Dear%20Friend_clip_image004_0000.jpg

OMG WHICH WAY IS IT SPINNING????

Spinning_Dancer.gif
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Penis_tankWIP01.jpg

WHICH WAY IS THE PENIS TANK FACING
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    the color is blue but the colour is white
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No it is, it's pattern recognition in the brain. That's the cut and the dry of it.

Colour is just more subjective, because our eyes are such inaccurate instruments.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    I agree with blazed, I can see those other illusions at will. So I'm wondering to those people seeing it white and gold, does this affect their ability of picking accurate colors if they were a game/concept artist?
  • paco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paco polycounter lvl 3
    Swizzle wrote: »

So those people that see it as blue/black. When you look at the colour patches above- do you see those ALSO as blue/black or more sky blue/brown?

Those other optical illusions - I agree with blazed - you can prove to yourself that they could be one or the other. For other colour optical illusions - you can objectively demonstrate that it is indeed an illusion by measuring RGB values. The only problem is that when I do measure the values for this one - I still get the same answer :poly142:

(Francois_K - penis tank made my day!)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    a lot of the confusion I'm seeing is like... what are people actually talking about? this needs to be clarified before a discussion can even take place. Are we talking about what color the DRESS is, actually? Or what colors the photo of the dress is. Because they seem like two pretty obvious differences. I mean.. just fucking use the eyedropper tool and there's your answer.

that being said, it seems like much of the discussion is based around peoples perception of the photograph, in which case I'm not sure how the heck people are seeing black and blue like the photo examples posted earlier in the thread. Seems like an extreme case of relative color.

orange-2squares.jpg
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Same here. Even when you pick out and separate the colors, they still match the original perception that the dress is white/gold.
    I wouldn't think that should be the case if it's just an issue of the whole producing an optical illusion.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    paco wrote: »
    So those people that see it as blue/black. When you look at the colour patches above- do you see those ALSO as blue/black or more sky blue/brown?

Yes those RGB values are blue and dark brown to me. Are you telling me the people who see it white/gold are also seeing the same colors in photoshop with the color picker? That can't be right because that would mean anyone who percieves it that way would have the color in their art look completely different to someone else.

Imagine going to a meeting and you're deciding the color of a game characters pants to be blue but the other person sees it as white. That doesn't sound right at all.

@bounchfx

I see that square in the middle to be orange/brown in both comparisons, but the dress is blue/dark brown to me.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    That store is going to make millions.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew wrote: »
    Yes those RGB values are blue and dark brown to me. Are you telling me the people who see it white/gold are also seeing the same colors in photoshop with the color picker? That can't be right because that would mean anyone who percieves it that way would have the color in their art look completely different to someone else.

Imagine going to a meeting and you're deciding the color of a game characters pants to be blue but the other person sees it as white. That doesn't sound right at all.

@bounchfx

I see that square in the middle to be orange/brown in both comparisons, but the dress is blue/dark brown to me.
    The color-picker colors are a very light blue and a brownish-gold, which does in fact match the white/gold perception.
    The dress others are seeing is a very deep royal blue and pitch black.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    tynew wrote: »
    @bounchfx

that example is for value (as the orange is not on any color, but grey and white), I only shared it as reference for what I was speaking about when i said relative color, it reminded me of those exercises. There's definitely color ones online too, not just value.
  • paco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paco polycounter lvl 3
    This couldn't be the biggest troll in internet history, could it?
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    paco wrote: »
    This couldn't be the biggest troll in internet history, could it?

The last time people argued about a "blue" dress this much the American president was nearly impeached.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Guys, you are all insane. The dress is obviously periwinkle and raw umber.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    spiderDude wrote: »
    @Paco- This documentary is for you.

It's called 'Do you see what I see' and it's all about the perception of color.

Now that was interesting to watch.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, that was weird. Earlier in the day I only saw the brown and white. Looking at it tonight it looked black and blue. Then I stared at it and it shifted back to brown and white while I watched.

It really is like that rotating girl thing. The endless prattle on Twitter today has been annoying, but I've got to admit that is a little bit interesing.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    okay, just did a quick test, since I came back to the thread and it seemed to have 'changed' colors.

I took into account into what I was just doing, then realized, it's totally just a symptom of where/when someone looks at the image. not really any different from those off color 'stare at it a while then look at a white wall' but in reverse.

When I first looked at it, I've been browsing the web for a while, and mainly looking at dark colors. When I looked at it just recently, I had just finished two rounds of counter strike, both in very brightly lit environments. So I tried a test. It was currently 'blue/black' to me, so I opened photoshop and looked at just the dark UI for 30 seconds or so. The dress was back to gold and 'white'. Then I filled my canvas with a bright 'sunlight' color, and did the same thing. Now the dress shifted again.

so yeah.. honestly pretty minor, and I think it's hilarious but interesting how it's become such a 'thing' so suddenly online. If anything it just tells me what kind of lit environment the viewer was in when he/she reported their take on the colors they saw.

edit: forget what I said, this is cooler
    black-and-blue-dress.gif
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    I saw the gold/white combination first. Then I tested what you said bounchfx and looked at something very bright for a while, now it is closer to black and blue.

Viral things aside, I learnt something new today regarding colour theory and how our eyes work. So thanks for the thread.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    bounchfx wrote: »
    so yeah.. honestly pretty minor, and I think it's hilarious but interesting how it's become such a 'thing' so suddenly online.
    Never underestimate the internet's capacity for pointlessly arguing about things.
  • paco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paco polycounter lvl 3
    @bounchfx - you did it!

That gif seems to have made it "click" for me. So the objective colours are the sky blue / brown combo that most people see, and that you can read out as RGB. However you can imagine that it is actually a darker blue with black stripes, and the lighter shading is just a reflected orange light from a glossy material. Both underlying possibilities give you the same observation.

tl;dr - The observation is indeed sky blue / brown, but there are multiple different plausible scenarios that produce that same observation.

The way to "prove" it to someone, like other optical illusions, would be to setup two scenes that look visually identical, yet have totally different lighting and materials. Then display them from a 3rd perspective where the differences are clearly visible.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Is it actually possible to say what color it is from just this image? It could be a reflective white and matte gold in front of a bluish area, or blue and gold, or blue and shiny black in front of a yellow area... Seems like a pointless debate without more information.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    dfacto wrote: »
    Is it actually possible to say what color it is from just this image? It could be a reflective white and matte gold in front of a bluish area, or blue and gold, or blue and shiny black in front of a yellow area... Seems like a pointless debate without more information.

According to local news this morning it is supposedly known from the original source ( the actual dress in question ) that the dress is indeed blue and black.
    What is interesting is that the illusion seems to go past simple mistaken relativity. Where even some of the saturated exaggerations do not go far enough for some people to recognize the dress as simply a blue and black ( dark brownish ) that was photographed a bit overexposed and blown out.

Still seeing a white and gold dress ( wedding dress white and gold lame gold! )
    over 72 percent surveyed see the dress as gold and white.

I think a poll on an artist centric forum like polycount would show that on average more of us would recognize a blue and black dress ( compared to the current reported average )
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    It's only now that we get a new crop of color accurate IPS monitors with fast TN speeds although at a really high price point still.
    Kind of depressing that all the care we would take to maintain color fidelity might be lost on a majority of our audience?
    I wonder if an IPS monitor would make a difference on that 72 percent seeing a white dress?
    ( considering the vast majority might not have accurate color display )
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    I haven't read the thread yet but why doesn't OP post the original image? Yes this one is edited to gold/white, but the original one is clearly blue and black.
  • tach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't this very worrisome to you as artists? This seems to be a clear example of how differently people percieve images on uncalibrated screens. The dress is blue/black but seems white/gold based on your screen. It scares the fuck out of me to think that this probably happens with textures all the time.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tach : I'd say its not worrisome at all, as the picture being confusing doesn't have much to do with monitor calibration - it's all about the condition the picture was taken in in the first place.

What bothers is not so much wether or not the dress is black and blue or gold and white, but rather, the willingness of many to argue so vehemently for or against it. Had the original product image not been found, it would have been perfectly fine to just say "I don't know" - because there was indeed no way to know, considering how overexposed the picture was.

I suppose this is what to expect from a world where many people don't understand the difference between "could care" and "couldn't care" and call a projected video of 2Pac a "hologram".

That being said, it is interesting from a photographic standpoint. We do tend to represent colors as what we know they are (like comic book colorists would do, with the Spiderman costume always being red and blue regardless of lighting conditions) whereas this picture is a good reminder that it takes much more than that to simulate a photographic look.
  • tach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has everything to do with monitor calibration tho. The dress is clearly blue/black on my phone and white/gold on my other screens for instance. It happens with all images, just not as noticiable.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is your phone screen extremely dark or with strange viewing angles ? Or are you saying that some versions of the image had their icc dropped somewhere along the way ?

The profile being dropped could very well be a possibility, but if that's the case the whole discussion becomes pretty much void of any meaning, because anyone can embed a crazy profile into any picture. I honestly doubt that any phone camera would go crazy with exotic profiles though ...
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Objectively the pixels are light blue and a medium brown. Our brains do a lot of work to correct for changing color balance and mixed lighting conditions. Regardless of what the actual dress looks like- For me, the image appears to be of a white and gold dress sitting in shadow with a store that is illuminated by separate source of warm artificial light.

It's also a testament to how shitty that camera sensor is that they could possibly get these pixel colors out of a photo of a dress that we know is actually very blue and black. Simple overexposure shouldn't produce the tones shown in the fabric without the sensor being seriously terrible.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    There are many cases of two people looking at the same screen at the same time, and seeing it two different ways. Maybe monitor calibration plays a part for some people but it's not the primary factor here at all.

This is an interesting case of color constancy and the way our eyes perceive things. I think lots of people are talking about it because it's a subject that doesn't come up much. It's interesting.. don't know why a few people in this thread are so butthurt that people are talking about it.