Home General Discussion

What is the difference between a good artist, a very very good artist, etc..

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
What is the difference between a good artist, a very very good artist, a hobbyist, an obsessive compulsive.

I have been wondering about this and I am kinda confused.
I keep seeing people's works and it keeps seeming to me that they left half way or 3/4 of the way and that still looks good. Then I see peoples works which get wide acclaim and have a lot of fidelity and it feels like you couldn't fill it up anymore.

I am working on a project myself and keep thinking "What have I got to do to be a really really good artist? Do I strive to hit time? Do I obsess over each detail? At what point am I being too obsessive? Should I keep working at it till At what time am I being lazy? Is 1 really really good piece good enough? Should I have many varieties of stuff and not be bothered by fidelity?"

I am studying by myself at home. I only have the internet at this moment of my life to share my passion with. I literally don't have any friends in this city that I can share this with everybody else is from other fields and wouldn't (with all respect to them) not be able to understand the difference between a square and a circle figuratively speaking..

Replies

• Gusti
    For me, weight, proportions, placement, and color can mean the difference between a good piece, and a bad piece.. Even if its the same model.

Take for example a character model. It only requires you to mess up the proportions a little bit for it to go from something that looks great, to something that just looks very wrong, even if its a stylized model.
    You can shift the placement of the eyes by just a little, and a model goes from instantly grabbing your attention and looking good, to just subconsciously looking wrong, and thus bad overall.

Most of the art you see that really makes you go "WOW!", has these things nailed, and for an 3d artist I´d say the hardest parts of becoming good is to understand and get a feel for these things.

I often feel like this is a fundamental thing that a lot of artists overlook when presenting their works online.

Very often I will suggest to people that have asked me in the past, to work first on proportions, placement, weight (all of which contribute to a models silhouette) and overall feel/color before delving into making super detailed stuff.

Because if those things are not good, no amount of fidelity or detail will make the model great.

But that´s just my view..
  • Drav
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Depends what youre doing....if youre making an object like a gun or a car, you need to hit all the recogniseable details and the proportions adequately, to give the idea everything is there, and all mega detailed an shizz.

However, if youre making a bigger scene, composition, colour and lighting plays a bigger part than obsessive detailing imo.

Also, dont worry about time to start with......concentrate on finishing stuff. About the detailing, I tend to stop when i think it looks roughly decent, because normally when everything is combined together, all the details combined look awesome.....i find its better to rough things in, and go back and polish later. Once youve got a recogniseable idea down, its much easier for A) People to get it, and B)You to remember what you were trying to do, and go back and polish it.

99% of the time I think, Ill go back and polish that later, then end up leaving it as finished :D

I think a lot of detail vs time, is working fast to get an idea out before you get bored :D
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    A perfect marriage of taste and technicality.

Good artists tend to lean one side of the other, but the best can use both.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    How they approach lighting, proportions, perspective and color.

Someone new to lighting might make the top mistake whereas someone advance already gets it and goes beyond that.
    ibvf5jLGZXhl5w.jpg
  • Malus
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    about 20$ an hour