Home General Discussion

Environment Artist Focus

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys,
I'm here again with another question and dilemma that I'm confused about, I want to be an environment artist in the game industry. I spend a lot of time focusing on props and such for my portfolio and I look at other artists portfolios and I love seeing the environments on there as well as on here that people make and I would love to get a few more environments on my portfolio. My question is, I've been told multiple times that if i want to be an environment artist to focus on environment art well, should I be making props or should I be making entire environments? or should i just continue to focus on both, I understand you need props for your environments but should i spend time building this awesome elaborate prop and getting it into an engine or should I focus on building this awesome looking environment with lighting and many props that are scene specific? I'm confused lol HALP!!!

Replies

• Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    The two are separate jobs at some companies. Focus on what you enjoy most.
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    That's what I've heard, some companies require an environment artist to do both props and build the environments, which is why im confused, my goal is to work at a job where I do both, they give me a chunk of the level, some concepts of how it's supposed to look and say "here make it look good" my friend Josh Noble at Insomniac games said that's pretty much exactly how it goes for him and that's sort of my "Dream" Goal
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    OH Man, Josh Noble is a bad ass artist..he taught me a great way of making a rock wall. Anyways, I'd say focus on the whole picture of an environment..or at least try to. I've ran into that a lot of companies require both talents. And if you build out an entire environment, that gives you opportunities to make bad ass props in the process. But really..in the end..it's all about what you enjoy the most, I guess.
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i use his technique for rocks and caves all the time! He's a cool guy! I'd say you're right, i should just focus on environments because in the end it does show both talents. I need more environments on my portfolio for sure anyway!
  • PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    I'd say focus on being able to be able to make badass looking assets that are as good as any you'd see in a AAA title. Once you can do that, you can expand your focus out to making larger scenes. Making awesome assets is a much simpler goal to focus on, and it is a clear way to demonstrate to a company that you can produce the quality of work they are looking for.

That's the path I took anyway, and it worked out for me, but I can't speak for everyone. I've been on the other side when having discussions about possible hires, and it was a sticking point with some people. Their portfolio had decent environments and good composition, but there were never any great or memorable assets that gave you confidence to think that if you gave them an assignment, they'd be able to bust out a great sculpt or a detailed texture.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    If you're an environment artist I'd expect you to be able to make awesome props as well, if you're a prop-artist I'd expect you to only be able to make awesome props not necessarily whole environments.

But honestly, you do want to do whole environments right? Then do them, it's not much harder than that.

Props are just more interesting with proper context, which you get from an environment. If you make an awesome prop, that prop would probably be even more awesome in a proper (pun intended ^^ ) environment.
  • MikeDunnam
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeDunnam polycounter lvl 6
    As others have said at many companies, an asset/prop artist and an environment artist are 2 different positions. And don't get the environment artist confused with a level designer. An environment artist depending on the studio of course, should have the ability to sculpt terrain, light (sometimes, depending on size of the studio), build assets/props, texture props, texture terrain, use zbrush or mudbox, sometimes concept. A good thing to have in your portfolio, if you want to focus on environment art, are some kickass props broken down showing wireframe, UV layout, normals etc, and render them in marmoset or something in real-time. Then show some environment art. You don't have to make an entire environment. Think about a stillshot such as a movieset type of environment. http://www.udk.com/showcase-jordansf2 Such as this. It shows he can make an environment, but he didn't worry about showing it in a 360 degree view. You can keep an environment simple. Remember you are the director of your reel. Show what you want. Also another thing to keep in mind, go check out the requirements for a specific job you want and tailor your portfolio to that. Then go from there!

Hope this helps!

-Michael
  • MikeDunnam
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeDunnam polycounter lvl 6
    Btw here is a posting for a 3d Environment Artist position at Blizzard.

Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an exceptionally skilled 3D environment terrain artist for a team focused on next-generation massively multiplayer online (MMO) games. The ideal candidate has experience with organic modeling and texturing terrain assets. It is essential that the 3D environment terrain artist has a solid grasp of form, color, and light for both 2D and 3D art assets. The 3D environment terrain artist must have experience working in a team and have a skill in another art task as well (illustration or concept drawing), and be well-versed in related tools, such as Maya, Photoshop, etc. The ideal candidate works well in an environment of peers who are passionate about making great games.

Requirements
    A minimum of 2 years’ experience in game development modeling and texturing environments using Maya and Photoshop (or equivalent 3D and 2D programs)
    Experience working with unique modeling and texturing styles for terrain assets
    Superior eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating texture maps
    An exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regards to modeling
    Self-motivation, good communications skills, and a great team-player attitude
    Skill in one or more of the related creation tasks, such as illustration or concept drawing
    A passion for video games
    Understanding of Blizzard Entertainment’s visual style, and a passion to push it to the next level
    Able to work creatively as part of a large or small group

Pluses
    Have worked on AAA PC or console titles as a 3D environment artist
    Experience with Mudbox, ZBrush, (or equivalent modeling program), and the process of converting high-poly sculpted environments into lower poly game assets
    Strong foundation in the traditional arts

Check out others as well. You'll find a common ground in most of them...
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mike! Yeah i usually go through and read the requirements for environment artists and try to find out everything companies are looking for. Thanks for the tips for sure!

@chris Yeah i also agree with that i feel like you should be able to make awesome props if you can make awesome environments but if you can make awesome props that doesnt necessarily mean you know how to make awesome environments and such so I'm definitely gonna start directing my focus more to environment shots and such! thanks everyone im glad i posted this question this is a great discussion