Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Website portfolio layout critique

Not sure where's the best section to post this but hey, here it goes.

I've been messing around with my website layout, having a look at HTML 5.

Basically I just need people's opinions - does it get to the art quick enough? Is it clear? Is the order okay, whatever you think necessary. Bare in mind it's still a work in progress and I plan on adding more artwork.

Thanks in advanced!

CLICK HERE FOR THE PORTFOLIO

Replies

• Jet_Pilot
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    I'm not a fan of the layout. 3 clicks to actually view your work is WAY to many. I don't care "who you are", what the name of your final project was. I want to see clean, high res images as fast as possible. If I'm interested afterwards to see who you are and all that stuff like your resume I'll look through the rest of your site. Kill the flash or html 5 layout. Simple and fast is always better then slow and pretty.

Also, images should come first, then videos (if you have them)
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Get rid of the splash page and flash style intro. I almost clicked off before content appeared because the page finished loading while it was still white.. Your work should be visible half a second after I click.

The description for your main project could take up a 50px tall strip across the screen with some images visible at the same time, instead you have a full page for it for no reason.

Your 'more projects' link at the top goes to the Kiandra project content.. I'd get rid of the link until you have a different project to put there.

Why do the preview images all look so washed out? The only time that is "useful" to some effect is when mouse-over makes the proper image show. At the moment it just makes them look worse.

TL;DR More art less filler!
  • silver_hoodlum
    Offline / Send Message
    silver_hoodlum polycounter lvl 4
    For some reason gives the idea u r a 2d artist rather than 3d, make it more simple, look at some reference and then maybe fix some parts of the site
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Way to much flashy effects stuff.
    Ideally, a simple quick to load page of html with images should load.
  • tristanCarter
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    Simple is always better. A portfolio doesn't need flash or pizzazz to make a striking impression your art should do that for you.

If I were in your shoes, I'd do one of two things.

1. Have one page dedicated to all your art that just continues to scroll down.
    2. Have image links of your art that link to pages dedicated to each piece of art.

Some of the people that have commented have examples of this in their own portfolio sites in their signatures.

With option 2 make sure you change the orientation of your image links based on whether you are a character artist or environment artist. Character art suits a vertical image best, while environment art suits a horizontal image best.

Another thing I don't like is unless I read through your about info, which frankly not many art directors etc will want to do I would have no idea what kind of art you wish to focus in. Right under your name in the header you should declare what you are.

I also think it's important to have your contact info in the header and footer, as it creates less work for the person looking over your portfolio. Seeing your art should be effortless for an art director or hiring manager. They will have to go through tons of portfolios, and they are not going to want it to be a time consuming process.