Home General Discussion

Scared To Post Work

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
Is it natural to be afraid to show my work to you guys? i mean, obviously i have the same fear as every other artist, that someone will see what you see which is what's wrong with the work but i just feel like all my work is so subpar that im afraid to show it lol, anyone else feel the same way?

Replies

• ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Just post it, we may be harsh, but you learn a lot more from critiques than being scared
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    k i posted lol
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    While I understand the apprehension, know that getting over it is the first step to improving.

When you aren't afraid to show mistakes you start being able to learn from those mistakes. If you make a point to not make the same mistake twice you'll grow rapidly.
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I appreciate it :), i posted my current wip, a gears of war smoke nade :) then im going to make the incendiary grenade cause i really like how it looks too

Here's the link to the WIP

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1517926#post1517926
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Grow a pair ughhh!

You'll be fine.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    You should be scared. That's good. I was scared when I first posted art here 10yrs ago. Fear is a great incentive to improve.

And don't worry, people may be harsh but they're not going to tell you you're worthless or some other jargon. You'll get good critique from amazing artists, which is exactly what any artist would want.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like a pretty solid model. I don't see any particular need for apprehension.
  • Conrad
    I agree the model is looking nice, and I was concerned the first time I posted which was only a few weeks ago. The fine collection of artists on polycount know what there talking about and any comments that you find non constructive, just take them with a pinch of salt. :)
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    i never got this "i'm afraid to post" mindset, you're not getting graded on showing things here. people will only give you comments so you can improve it.
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Post your work > Receive crits > Correct your mistakes > Improve > Success

Don´t show > no crits > errors still there > they are repeated endeless times > frustration > failure.
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    i never got this "i'm afraid to post" mindset, you're not getting graded on showing things here. people will only give you comments so you can improve it.
    I think it's because your self-esteem can take a blow from not getting any replies, it's not a good sign and it's not constructive either. If that were to happen I think the best thing would be to just swallow your pride and just move on. Keep posting your work, dpaynter, it's why we're here. ;)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    my god, no dude the point is to show the work FOR it to get ripped apart, don't use feedback as food for your ego (there's a lot of bloated ones around here). The piece is looking good just be confident enough to know you're not at the level you can ultimately achieve.

That's why i do art, cause i know i'm not at the level iwant to be but someday (maybe after i get work) I'll be a beast, at least i hope.
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Fear is the path to the dark side.
  • CrazyMatt
    I can be your dictionary example of this... [its sad but I admit it]

I've been doing the 3D stuff and video game modding for 10 years now...and I never post my work...Which is probably a heavy given as to why I have such few contacts and soo many know of me. While the few that do, say I am really good to great. But I still wonder around with the idea I need to keep my stuff hush hush...

This stuff will embed its way to your mind as a way of thinking and trust me. Don't get there!

Start posting, and post like its your blog. You won't regret it and people will probably add you into their networks as long as you don't be a douche and you show that you are interested in improving...[gives myself this feedback as we speak ^^]

At first its both exciting when you do, and a slight letdown when you do as well. Because sometimes you won't get the crits you asked for...but keep doing it. Because eventually people are going to wonder why your thread is getting so many posts and attention, that it must be worth looking at and giving a piece of mind about.
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    SCB wrote: »
    Fear is the path to the dark side.

I must not fear.Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    :) thanks everyone this really has boosted me a lot, although i havent gotten many critiques on the work i posted im going to continue working and try to follow the critiques as best i can :)
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    i have a few friends who are afraid to post their work as well, for fears of being torn apart (but this isnt quite zbrush central.. people are nice here. lol) what i tell them is the worst that could happen is you'll be told you need to improve... which isnt a bad thing at all, should be seen as motivation above all else.
  • biofrost
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Don't worry about not getting a lot of crits. From what I have seen if something is really bad or it is obvious the person needs help they will get a lot of replies, or if it is really awesome you will also get a lot of replies. Its that middle ground where it can get really hard but you just have to push through it.

1dePK.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    according to that graph i'm an average joe!

edit: and yes, it's highly demotivating to get no comments, or very few comments on your work. it'd be nice to even get some criticism now and again, rather than just "nothing".
  • Wonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    I fear posting, but still post-and get few replies. But another thing I fear, is making comments and offering advice.
  • samcole
    Yea, I'm stuck in Average Joe land as well. I still post..not a lot cause I'm doing a lot of school work, but when I finish something I post a few shots in the WAYWO thread.
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i refuse to stay in average joe area, tbh i thought i was in the amateur area, but i WILL be in the Decent to Inspirational category :D
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Well, it's always good to try and get better, but always think about that your work is always inspirational and motivating for those who are less skilled than you. :)
  • biofrost
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly! I also am in the average joe area but I know my work has inspired some others who are just starting out and its a great feeling.
  • Mrskullface
    dont be scared! it's a good thing! it's free learning!
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I didn't used to fear posting work in a lot of places, tried to maintain sketchbooks, post up things for critique, etc. Then after awhile I started realizing that I was focusing more on getting something "good enough to post" and how many replies (if any) I got, and was focusing less on the work itself. In an odd sort of way, trying to show my stuff and get feedback was incredibly counter-productive. (Mostly I've attributed this to being young - falling prey to the social aspects of online communities, I was simply not at a point where working on art was more fun than looking at it or playing games.)

So I stopped for a fairly long while, and decided to visit polycount pretty exclusively (rather than the multitude of places I'd try to keep up with before). These days I'm not so much afraid of posting, but I am always a little worried that other people will be seeing something completely different than what I'm seeing in my work. Which is good in a sense, because I imagine it's immensely important for me to know how stuff reads to other people. But it's also a little unnerving, and if nobody gives any feedback, then you're in a position of "...shit."

It's odd how it works, but I think the key is to post your stuff if you feel like posting it, but to do so realizing that you're going to need to keep working regardless of many replies or no replies. :)
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    I love that graph. It´s so true. I'm 100% average joe.

Many times I get few or none comments with my works, but I dont feel worried about. This just means that the particular posted piece is generic and don't play with viewers emotions. You see, people here reacts more according to emotions, not techniques. This is waht makes inspirational artists inspirational. They already transcended this line of just technique. And tell stories with each piece. Show their persoanlity with each new work. This should be the goal in your pieces, express yourself, your feelings. Not to be seen, not to get attention.

Once I realized that, I lost the fear. :)

EDIT: Two Listen, my way of thinking is very similar to yours. I stoped too to try to be seen in any place, and focused here. I just post in PC now. My posts here are sincerely dedicated to improvement, not an atempt to be an star, like I used to do before.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    well, i actually would love if somebody would totally tear up my recently posted artwork...
    i dont feel like being an average joe, but according to that graph io must be.

what are you fearing? honestly, people can tell you you're shitty, you pick up your stuff and work on it a little harder. nobody hurt nobody. that fear is irrational...
    i think our industry is kinda harsh aswell, so you shouldnt really pick up the words too personally.
    i honestly prefer someone who is critizing my work to those "yay"-sayers.

what i fear a lot more is being misunderstood in the general talk and technical forums, where you express opinions and stuff :$
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Anyone's feedback loop that involves nothing but their parents, their girlfriends/boyfriends, friends, and social circle generally tend to fail at that aspect of life.

Your mom thinking you are a good artist is much different than if your peers think you are.
  • Mcejn
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    lol nice mcejn, Guys you've really inspired me, now that ive posted work and im continuosly checking the thread where i posted to see if anyone else has posted (even though i know if they have or havent because im subscribed to the thread) but now im not looking just to see what they've said, im looking to see if they've said anything that i could change, im really actually ENJOYING MAKING ART FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A VERY LONG TIME!! I SHOULD HAVE POSTED WORK A LONG TIME AGO!! I feel like keeping up with it and really seeing it through to the end just because i want to see it done and make it look the best i possibly can :) i feel like i've improved just by posting and seeing what people have said, im really happy i posted this and posted my work it's really helped me a lot, plus i feel more like part of the community now :D YAY lol
  • biofrost
    Offline / Send Message
    Just be sure not to be too obsessed with checking the thread! That can become a bad habit that's hard to break.
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    lol i am already :P just because ive had such great inspirational artists such as Snefer say my work is good so far :D lol
  • Rick_D
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    dpaynter26 wrote: »
    Is it natural to be afraid to show my work to you guys? i mean, obviously i have the same fear as every other artist, that someone will see what you see which is what's wrong with the work but i just feel like all my work is so subpar that im afraid to show it lol, anyone else feel the same way?

nobody cares, you're not being judged, just your work. accept crits as they are, make changes, learn.
    nobody likes offering up a piece of themselves up to be possibly rejected or ridiculed, but without doing that nobody would have any fun in life.

just do it.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    yeah never be afraid to feel the flagellation of the polycount whip

just never ask for a spanking... some enjoy it too much ;-)
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Unfortunately with the amount of new members on weekly basis I've noticed that you need to display a certain level of ability in order to receive solid critiques from experienced members of polycount. It's not a popularity contest, you just have to earn your stripes so to speak.
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    ive noticed an extra amount of overflow of new people over the past few weeks as well, definitely time to make my mark :)