Home Contests & Challenges Archives

The traitor returns: DomWar 2 - poopinmymouth

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
3dtotal is kind of a dead forum compared to polycount, so I figured I'd post my finished images here to get some comments. I'm mad that Arsh didn't finish, he's the one that convinced me to turn! Hahahah. I didn't get to finish the hair as well as I wanted, and the final images were rushed to put together (did anyone finish with plenty of time?) but overall I'm happy with the turnout. I'll make some proper renders of the low poly and the high poly source, plus I'm putting the entire model up for download on my website, the high poly and the layered PSDs too. Now it's time for sleep! It's not midnight here in Iceland, it's FOUR THIRTY AM!!

winning_pose.jpg
beauty_shot.jpg
construction.jpg
concept_sheet.jpg
texture.jpg

poop.gif

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Oh, man, that has tons of style. I didn't even know you were entering; coulda been a good inspiration if I'd paid attention.

Looks great. Only thing that seems off to me is the spec on the facepaint, doesn't read quite right for some reason.
  • SuperOstrich
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    Dude! He turned out sweet man. The execution of your model makes me really like the design. Reminds of a character you might see in Battle Angel.
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great man. Although I don't know that I like the first pose.

Traitor you might be, but atleast you came to your senses!
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the athleticism you've managed to give this guy. He has that very distinctly Ben Mathis look to him too.

While we're on rebel scum, any idea what happened to Arshlevon? He hasn't updated his thread in weeks.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    any idea what happened to Arshlevon? He hasn't updated his thread in weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php...;gonew=1#UNREAD

smile.gif
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Is this an official entry on the Polycount side then? I hate to be a stickler but I think you had to show progress throughout to be considered.

Neat character, he looks fast.
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    no he's just showing it on the forums, he entered for 3dtotal
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    no he's just showing it on the forums, he entered for 3dtotal

[/ QUOTE ]

Neat.
  • EarthQuake
    Sorry, but i cant seem to find a single thing about this entry that i like, from concept to excution it all just seems rushed.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Heeeeeeeeeeeeeey..
    Wait a second!
    nogirls.jpg
  • Bradfordart
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sorry, but i cant seem to find a single thing about this entry that i like, from concept to excution it all just seems rushed.

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

Looks good dude, major props for originality. Was the first shot rendered in max?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Great looking model dude, very true to your style as well. Pitty we didn't have you on our side, but great to have some worthy competition wink.gif
    Good luck dude.

-caseyjones
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    the scratches make the model look bit busy in the final shot.. but minimini crit

nice to have you back .. smile.gif

btw.. i finished 3 days ago

btwbtw.. this design is too cool!!!
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Woot!

Glad to see you got this done, despite all the nay-sayers.

I'm a big fan of his below-the-belt area.
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    It's pretty much the least aesthetically pleasing thing I've seen in game art.
    EDIT- By this, I mean any game art that would be coming from a <u>professional artist</u>.

The texture is so noisy your eye goes all over the place and lands on nothing good.
    EDIT- for what it's worth, the concept had a far better color scheme than what ended up in the final piece. It was primarily blue and a couple different greys. Now you have the dark blue chest plate with all these light blue tubing and glowing red lights, you can't see anything. Your eyes have nothing to focus on. It just keeps bouncing between the upper leg and the rag on his arm.

I'm sure if you took all the layers of scratches off it would be less noisy, but like most of the stuff you make, there wouldn't be much else left.
    EDIT Nothing vengeful or angsty here, just a knowledge about how he makes his textures. It's good that he put up the psd's. You should be able to clearly see a base layer of the light bake followed by scribbly scratches and overlays. Nothing really polished or painted up with any sort of eye for making this a piece of art. Making a highpoly model is only half the job. You need more than just a lightbake and photo overlays to make a good texture.

I'd almost say that i like the little hand wrap bit, but even that has so much surface noise in the normal map you can't tell what's going on. >_<
    EDIT That should be self-explanatory as to how to resolve that problem.
  • Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    DEATH TO THE TRAITOR!!!!!!

lol, nice piece dude. Thanks again for being such a nice guy and putting all the effort into your tutos for all in sundry to use, they really helped me a lot with my entry smile.gif

Good luck.
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    great stuff!!! really nice! my only very tiny crit would be what the other guys already said, that the scratches are a bit too sharp and eye-catching. And also thanks a lot for all the tuts you made! helped me a lot!
  • SuperOstrich
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    I think the sharp scratches has to do with these shots being viewport screencaps and Ben for some reason WON'T turn on viewport filtering or mip mapping. smile.gif
  • mvelasquez
    nice one poop! Ill definitely be checking out your source files.
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    teh... I shall not be as gentle to a traitor of great nations as the rest of us.. If I had it my way you would have been hung above the steps of the palace. Your guts on the steps, skin spread out to for points so far, it would look like eery gelly vein filled wings. but helas... the minority voice isnt heard in this society.
  • IronHawk
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Turned out cool Poop!

will you still be doing a render with the rifle lit up and active/ready to fire?
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    oh yah, and you suck for not turning antialiasing on at screenshot time you lazy bum !

Removing mipmaps is good, but if you don't turn AA on, you get that nasty noisy stuff, it's sad because details would have been way easier to read, hope you'll update with antialiased renders smile.gif
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    oh yah, and you suck for not turning antialiasing on at screenshot time you lazy bum !

Removing mipmaps is good, but if you don't turn AA on, you get that nasty noisy stuff, it's sad because details would have been way easier to read, hope you'll update with antialiased renders smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT!
    The render is ugly as hell because it's too sharp and noisey, I really like the torso work.
    The legs look lazy and way too simple.
    The head of the character comes off as a kid that'll get his ass kicked cause he's a cocky [insert homophobic insult here], I think the homo element comes from the anti-women symbol on his crotchless metal lump and, no doubt, his posing wink.gif

So basically, I like the way this character's mechanical torso is executed, but the head and legs I really don't dig frown.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Suprore: the face paint was kind of the opposite of those football player black marks. I wanted these to reflect light back into his eyes during night missions (his forte). They are supposed to be a kind of bioluminescent paint, so they also have a bit of glow. I also thought it would help evoke the Battle Angel feel which was one of my inspirations.

SuperOstrich: Thanks, though I bet you're only saying that cause I told you that was my inspiration! Haha. I appreciate it though. I still wish you'd made an entry. Maybe you could have just entered Hanna.

Tulkamir: Pose was a little rushed, but I'm happy with it. In hindsight I should have planned the arms and gun a bit better, because I wanted him to have this all the way up to his eye like a classic sniper stance, but the way his arms work, this is about as high as he can bring it. Oh well, robocop perfect aiming without using the scope must be one of his abilities too. hehe.

Jackablade: Thanks, I did really want him to feel like an athlete. He's a sprinter, getting in as fast as possible to snipe the enemy, then back out without having to do any real confrontations. As to Arsh, I think the art test he did for Insomnia took his time, but I don't know if he'd finish even if he didn't have that, the slacker! It was coming out awesome though, I'll try to push him to finish it now, at least the high poly portion.

AdamBrome: No, like Vahl said, it's a 3dtotal entry, I was just posting it here to get comments from polycounters. Glad the speed aspect is reading well, thanks. It's actually not a "no girls allowed" it's the "no fat chicks" logo. This one, http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/acm525/NoFatChicks.jpg

Bradforart: Yup, using the fx shader I put up for download here, http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=195506&an=0&page=0#Post195506 Just a straight viewport grab.

caseyjones: I really had my heart set on a cyborg from the moment the comp was announced, but don't worry, I'm back now. Thanks though!

Rollin: The scratches are a personal preference, I like the business. I experimented with them at different levels of intensity and prefer them like this. I appreciate the feedback though. hahah, yeah yeah, you early finishers, so smarmy! Thanks about the design, I did really enjoy coming up with this guy.

Sectaurs: Thanks man, I wish I could have seen yours finished in time too, it had some niceties going on as well. You are a big fan of everyone's below the belt area, but I appreciate it nonetheless.

Xaltar: Thanks, I appreciate it. (for the compliments, not the death threat)

Japhir: Thanks for the feedback, but like I said, the scratches are a personal preference.

SuperOstrich: (again? do you have a crush on me? do I need to tell Melissa?) I did have viewport filtering on, but not mipmapping. I tried it without viewport filtering and it was too noisy even for my tastes, haha. MipMapping made it way too blurry, so I turned that off.

Mvelasquez: Thanks, be sure to check this entire post for the sourcefile link.

Evil: What are you talking about? You're from conceptart.org, you're just here for the chips, coffee, and the competition. Don't make me kick your dutchy butt.

Ironhawk: I wish I could, but as I mentioned earlier, his arm design doesn't allow for the gun to be lifted higher than it is now. Kind of ruins the sniper vibe, but live and learn I guess.

Vahl: I tried your tip for starting AA in my videocard preferences, but it didn't have any effect. I turned on AA in the max renders and didn't like the results. I know a few people have expressed not liking the noisiness, but it's my piece, and I do. hehehe

Here are the larger renders I took for my site, and a link to the source files (won't be finished uploading till about 7 hours after this post, but I wanted to include the link)
    slime_download.gif the lowpoly, highpoly, textures, and layered PSD

agust.gif
    agust_closeup.gif
    agust_construction.gif
    agust_tex.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    jesus christ , you somehow made that the blandness of the concept to be eliminated in the finished object ! congrats ben wink.gif
  • indian_boy
    traitor! TRAITOR! backstabbing traitor-man! i poopinurmouth! i will!

lol, now that that's off my chest,
    pretty awesome work man! it's very different and stylish!
    i like it very much, and im even looking forward to the tutorials that will be coming as a result of it laugh.gif!

traitor..... laugh.gif
  • Matabus
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I know a few people have expressed not liking the noisiness, but it's my piece, and I do. hehehe

[/ QUOTE ]

Now there's a good attitude.
    It's too noisy.
  • dur23
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    nice update man ^^
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Evil: What are you talking about? You're from conceptart.org, you're just here for the chips, coffee, and the competition. Don't make me kick your dutchy butt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah well.. ehh.. TRAITOR! *shakes fist* .. so yeah ehm.. cookie? :P
  • Dane
    Offline / Send Message
    Dane polycounter lvl 18
    I see you have enough hate already poop, but I have a question. If he is supposed to be an in and out sniper guy, who rarely is involved with direct combat, why the hell is he so beat up and scratched? Also, why the bright glowing colors? (I'm assuming he can shut them off?)
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Lol Ben, looks like you pissed some people off by defecting!

I like this guy a lot! Tons of Mathis character. My initial impression was its uniqueness. I think that better quality grabs would have helped the 'noise' issue that a couple of folks have referred to, although personally I don't think its noise so much as sharpness. They're not quite the same thing. Some of the scratches look too obviously 'scribbled'. I don't care too much for the cloth wrap either. It's just too much of a material leap from the rest of the character for my tastes. But I get what you were doing there and it does add a little history to the character. My other niggle is that the warpaint on the face too closely resembles the shape that facial hi-lights make, so you get tricked into thinking that that's what it is when you first look at it.
    Overall though a really refreshing and nicely executed character Ben. Congratulations on finishing. Even starting was more than most could manage.
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    nah ben isnt pissing me off i'm only playing :P.. but he knows that don't yah..! *EVIL feels a bead of sweat rolls down his right temple as he looks into a small black hole of a glock pointed at his head .. srry ben! :P
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I wasn't referring to you smile.gif
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    just making sure smile.gif
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Daz : if I remember correctly (and poop can correct me if I'm wrong) but the warpaint things were some kind of tribute to battle angel alita/gunnm, and he girl has these paints all though the series, so although I totally agree they look more like too strong face highlights, I think he wanted them to be really close to the character he wanted to make a tribute to.

I also agree on the ben mathis style it has, can't be wrong on that side smile.gif
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    BA: Alita is my favourite series of all time. The only resemblance I'm seeing is the face paint - although this guy could be an entrant of the Motorball competition.
  • Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a great entry for the wrong team is all tongue.giflaugh.gif

We still lub ya Poop cool.gif
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Very nice Poopster. I like the noisiness screw those other dudes! I'd say even more bloomy bits would be sweet on the things though.
  • indian_boy
    i lub the poopster too! the evil backstabber is too kind to hate! lol, seriously though, i dont think ppl took people breaking allegiences that harshly?
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe offering some useful critiques would be more useful, EarthQuake? Right now yours is a fairly useless post.

[ QUOTE ]
    It's pretty much the least aesthetically pleasing thing I've seen in game art.

[/ QUOTE ]

Xenobond, are you sure? Sounds a little extreme to me. Are you saying this model is worse than all of those models posted by people starting out using boxy shapes and purely dodge/burned textures?
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm sure if you took all the layers of scratches off it would be less noisy, but like most of the stuff you make, there wouldn't be much else left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I detect a hint of personal resentment here?

How about we leave out the personal attacks next time, and focus on actual constructive critique. It'll be better for everyone in the long run.
  • Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah come one guys, poop has helped most of us out at one time or another. Just because he played for another team doesn't mean you should start being insulting.
  • Matabus
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Quote:

Do I detect a hint of personal resentment here?

[/ QUOTE ]

No he is just telling the truth. Sometimes the truth is the best critique. Sometimes you need the truth to smack you in the face.

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah come one guys, poop has helped most of us out at one time or another. Just because he played for another team doesn't mean you should start being insulting.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has nothing to do with the team switch. Just stating opinions.
  • indian_boy
    @Matabus - no... the truth would have been:
    "u shoulda reduced some of the scratches. Unfortunately, there wouldn't be much left then, so u could do 'so-and-so'."
    and then there is "personal resentment" as MoP put it:
    "like most of the stuff u make...."
    truth is good... but sometimes its good to deliver the truth with some kindness!
    oh, and @Xenobond: u should look out for my next thread grin.gif (ZING! oooh one point for indian_boy, zero for........ uhhh.... um.... wait... oh CRAP!)

and since i sense this thread quickly becoming extremely aggressive:
    please don't make this thread another one of those good threads that unfortunately get a whole lotta "controversy" and hence haveta be locked.... pwetty pwease grin.gif

peace
    - indian_boy
  • Matabus
    Offline / Send Message
    Just didn't feel like sugar-coating anything this morning. smile.gif
  • frettchen
    Well I may not be as experienced as everyone else here but... I think its bloody great. People trying to pick fights and being unconstructive should be pimping their own entries instead
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Edited my first post to further elaborate on my feedback. Didn't spend too much time on it though, as it doesn't matter what I say. God forbid that anyone might think that he doesn't know what he is doing.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    I think it looks like shit, I thought the initial concept looked like shit, I’m not going to sugar coat it and offer any suggestions or crits, because honestly I don't care if you ever get better as an artist. You are personally the most repugnant person I have ever met. And the only reason you do any of those tutorials and speeches is to build this army of fan boys to defend you when someone speaks out.

I personally don't care what anyone in here thinks of me.

Tracy Hunt
    Lead Artist
    RvR/Scenario team
    Warhammer Online
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I think that went ahead and made your comments look even less professional actually Kurtis. There's a distinct and completely unecessary undertone of snideness that I think you'd be hard pushed to deny. It just isn't appropriate in a critique imo. It's unfortunate that you and Matabus and Rhino there all work for the same company. Coincidence? To an outsider it might look like some pretty pathetic schoolyard ganging up is going on.

Personally i think it's a little sad that a contest thread has to have such unsavory comments. Not that I got far with mine, but next time I'd suggest only entrants get to post comments. Just an idea.
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Tell me you looked at the PSD.