Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Red Miria (Character)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
LeoJr polycounter lvl 7
9750 tris, 2048 diffuse only... Let me know if the ics don't show up, it's through dropbox atm.

Critique appreciated! :poly142:

RMR_02.jpg

RMR_03.jpg
RMR_04.jpg
RMR_05.jpg
RMR_06.jpg

Replies

• beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    Yo Leo,

This is has serious potential to be much greater!
    The diffuse if crying for a normal map and specular. Areas are looking too muddy to be a 100% diffuse textured model.

Pick a more prominent Lightsource and shade this baby up!
    Is that suppose to be broken netting on her? need to pop it out.

ill post a paintover soon if ya dont mind.

Edit: A quick example of more pronounced shading. Defining the forms
    Just adjust to fit your style!
    Hope it helps.

leo_paintover_01.jpg
  • LeoJr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LeoJr polycounter lvl 7
    Does help alot! that area was bothering me and was never quite sure what to do with it.

Yes, it is broken netting. What do you mean by "need to pop out"? With normals or on the diffuse?

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's great, I love it. The hair is great I really like the style. The colors and the overall shading are fantastic. I like the micro details and I appreciate them from an artistic and technical stand point but I agree, it is a bit noisy and hard to make out some of the forms.

If you simplify a few areas like beancube suggested it could really help sell things. The good old squint method works great when trying to decipher how the overall forms are reading. When I step back and squint, nothing really seems to pop out.

Large areas that are devoid of micro detail often indicate armor. Also a large flat area with one or two nicks or cuts helps sell the armors history much more than a lot of noisy damage or micro details.

It's looking great and I think with a little bit of rework you could really push it over the top.

Also what about wireframe overlay and UV layout. It looks great but is it optimal?
  • SarahFaber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking fantastic. Throwing my two cents in, maybe add some more range to you color values? You have a lot of mid-toned colors, and if you create a higher contrast in you values it should make it pop. Also, maybe add another color in there like a complementary blue or something to break up the monochromatic scheme... SUPER subtle though, maybe in detailing and stuff, 'cause I love the colors you got going on.

Just suggestions that may or may not work... something to play with anyway. Love where it is heading.
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^What they said.

Fantastic model with lots of character and potential. It just needs polishing.

And we need wires.
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job, but as mentioned, is so close to being at the next level.

Right now she has a bad case of the "gears of war" - meaning everything is just different shades of brown - which means she might aswel be black and white. Ofcourse, if you like that that's fine - alot of poeple do. But personally, I'd add more color and really make her pop.

Nice though

ps: I feel like she needs an accesory. A staff or weapon or something. Would add a sense of "story" to her.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    JGcount wrote: »
    Right now she has a bad case of the "gears of war" - meaning everything is just different shades of brown

hehe, a bit more a shade of UT3, img2 than gears of war ;)

I agree with everyone though, you could push a bit more contrast and definition into the texture. pull some tones away from the red (ribbed body mesh parts), get some additional contrast in there to add a little more pop. Could define the shapes a little more too, give it more dimension! Could add a little more forced drop shadows on the overlapping armor pieces too for more shape as well (hip/thigh area).

cool skin! keep goin!
  • LeoJr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LeoJr polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks a bunch for all the helpful feedback, everyone... I'ma keep working on this. So far I put a bit more love on the shoulder plates and the wrist plates, and desaturated the grey areas to have a bit of a warm/cool color contrast:

RMR_07.jpg
    RMR_08.jpg

Also, the diffuse and wireframe:

Miria_Diffuse_p.jpg
    RMR_08_lolwires.jpg

As for a prop, I *have* been working on this weapon for her:
    [4k tris, 1024 diffuse texture]

DTR_01.png
    Dragontongue_MkVI_diffuse_p.jpg
    Dragontongue_Perspective_shaded_1.jpg
    Dragontongue_perspective_shaded_2.jpg

Originally both were UT3 Ronin inspired designs, but recently I grabbed 'em and decided to turn 'em into a hand-painted texturing exercise, and here we are...