Replies

• Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    that's a pretty selfish reason Pogo...
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    That's a legit reasoning - and one that I share, actually: variety. Splitting means no variety.

To me, CGhub was all about the hub: a dynamic mosaic of images, from artists big and small, and the option to dwell deeper into personal pages. The 'wants critique' 3-thumbs display always offered an option to change direction randomly (altho I believe there was an algorithm there, adjusting content by 2d/3d/characters/enviros etc.).

The galleries themselves were optimal, allowing visual customization and the ability to ultimately view images fullscreen, over dark background, and scroll using the arrows keys. That's all you need, really.

The first one that sets all this up is gonna be a winn$r. Text-based forums are outdated, imo. Images, easy and fast are the way to go.
  • Galvanize
    Offline / Send Message
    Galvanize polycounter lvl 7
    slosh wrote: »
    I would recommend drawcrowd.com for now. It's not as clean as cghub but still has a wall of images on the mainpage and you can set up your own profile page with your own banner and images to mimic a portfolio look. There are things missing like WIP images and filtering by category on the main page but it has a lot of potential. Right now, it is largely 2D because of Feng's influence I'm assuming but I have seen some 3D guys migrate over since the fall of cghub. I actually enjoy scrolling down and seeing who's joined in cuz their stuff pops up on the main page. There is still a function to follow users and like their images...all very easy to use. Hopefully, they continue to improve and the community grows to cghub size.

I know drawcrowd.com.. It has a lot of potential i think, but CGHub was like a little family and so easy to get inspiration for new projects. I hope they improve drawcrowd and maybe it becomes something like CGHub.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a legit reason only if you are coming from the perspective of a viewer. As someone that participates, because of the difference in skill sets, as a minority on a forum it is super hard to get helpful feedback.

I feel confident providing feedback on 2D because that's what i do, and in the same light i rarely got helpful feedback on my 2d stuff here. But it isn't easy to look through and find the 2d stuff for which i can help out with i don't do it.

I don't know about you but as a mostly 2d guy you couldn't help but feel a bit out of place beforehand. So it is certainly a welcome addition.
  • martinszeme
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    Galvanize wrote: »
    I know drawcrowd.com.. It has a lot of potential i think, but CGHub was like a little family and so easy to get inspiration for new projects. I hope they improve drawcrowd and maybe it becomes something like CGHub.

Cheers for the link! drawcrowd looks great. That's the thing I loved about cghub - browsing experience. You could easily glance through 100+ images/artists, quickly favorite some, subscribe and it felt fairly fluid. Hope drawcrowd bring more artists in!
  • Zentrope
    Hello everyone, I am Zentrope, some of you guys would know me from CGHUB..

For those who don't know me, I have spent my last few years as a Moderator there and the last 5 months as an Administrator(Community Director)!

I have always loved CGHUB because it was like my second home and it was a privilege to see everything grow and bloom to a whole new level.

I feel the void of CGHUB and I feel more hurt that I wasn't informed about it like the rest of the users.

What I think is that there are always two reasons for doing anything:

A good reason and the real reason!

Imo, some reasons cannot be shared openly(and I completely understand that) but when it involves trust of people and respect of the community, you have to take a step further!(Which I think was not good on their part)

But I don't know the real reason, so I wouldn't assume anything.

So those memories will always be cherished..And it's time to move forward and see the new domain..

And as per the 2D stuff in Polycount...There are few things I would like to suggest:-

-Images speak a thousand words and that was the real strength of CGHUB!

-Top Row incentives are always a boost for people(even a recently published or uploaded work being showcased like in Drawcrowd or ZBC is a good incentive).

-Images don't need a language and anyone around the world can use pixels to prove it.

- Pixel or Polygon, everything counts because it's what matters!

That's it for now..
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Muzz wrote: »
    that's a pretty selfish reason Pogo...

Oh don't get me wrong man, I didn't mean to come across that way. I just mean I don't particularly go out of my way to look at 2D stuff just because I don't have a great deal of experience with it. I really love seeing it in the WAYWO thread, and I'd be sad to see it all disappear into it's own little thread. I get the feeling that a separate thread would probably not be as popular, due to the nature of Polycount primarily being a 3D artist forum.

Apologies if my post came across as selfish, it wasn't intended to come across that way.
  • NickNitro
  • TylinaVespart
    Zentrope wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I am Zentrope, some of you guys would know me from CGHUB..

For those who don't know me, I have spent my last few years as a Moderator there and the last 5 months as an Administrator(Community Director)!

I have always loved CGHUB because it was like my second home and it was a privilege to see everything grow and bloom to a whole new level.

I feel the void of CGHUB and I feel more hurt that I wasn't informed about it like the rest of the users.

ZENTROPE!

You were one of the people I was really not looking forward to losing contact with; nice to see you. =)

Really sucks that they didn't let you know what was going on either, I'm going to miss CGHub a lot but can't imagine what its like for you and the rest of the mods.

As for what to do now, I think I'll be spending time between Drawcrowd, here and 3D Total forums. They run challenges over on 3D Total, sporadically, but maybe they'll do it more regularly now that CGHub is gone.

(at least, one can hope)
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    :'( Man I feel like I should start wearing a black arm band with the cghub logo on it in mourning... :/
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Turning Polycount into an image hosting/portfolio site sounds expensive. I also don't want to see the community aspect suffer just to become the "new" CGHub.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Turning Polycount into an image hosting/portfolio site sounds expensive. I also don't want to see the community aspect suffer just to become the "new" CGHub.

qft
  • mats effect
    Don't forget polycount is already a really good thing that could be destroyed just for the sake of making it the new CGHub. Though i think things like the new 2D WIP area are a good idea.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Theres a discussion on ConceptArt.org right now where the owners are named, linkedin links are given and claims of shady behavior are the basis from which CGhub was formed.

CGhub owners ...> Jeff Fowler and Ryan Duncan

Read on: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/277220-Is-cghub-gone-forever?p=3802284#post3802284
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    adam wrote: »
    The first step of many baby steps: http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80

2D 'Pimping & Previews'

Damn you, giving me an extra click each time I visit polycount.

(Thanks for adding this, I really look forward to checking it out. I get a bit under-exposed to 2D art.)
  • Zentrope
    ZENTROPE!

You were one of the people I was really not looking forward to losing contact with; nice to see you. =)

Really sucks that they didn't let you know what was going on either, I'm going to miss CGHub a lot but can't imagine what its like for you and the rest of the mods.

As for what to do now, I think I'll be spending time between Drawcrowd, here and 3D Total forums. They run challenges over on 3D Total, sporadically, but maybe they'll do it more regularly now that CGHub is gone.

(at least, one can hope)

Hello Tylina,

Glad to see some old faces here...:)

This is a good reminder that "Nothing is permanent in this world...So make every moment an important one:thumbup:

And regarding making this more like Image hosting site or Portfolio site, its not a suitable idea imo because something like it requires too much bandwidth and extra costs..!
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Zen was a good mod nice to see you around, remember you from the dragon challenge.

Might as well get these while you can:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Herman+Ng&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Z29NU_ofp6KxBJ2PgZgE&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=768#q=cghub.org&tbm=isch

not that anyone couldn't' do this but i haven't seen it posted yet, but pinterest might be the best bet. looking at that tumblr made me really miss the site, hard to find those artists now... someone has to do something, just saying there is a huge hole now.

I agree Zen i took cghub for granted and when i started to really enjoy it, boom, offline, just perfect... :(
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    However... Since that time I think i've had a change of heart. Only reason is that any forums i've used that have top rows or images on front page I have found that it seems a lot harder to get your work seen and also I miss a lot of other people work. It's great for the "pro's" as their images get tons of exposure (and rightly so) but for the little guy its kinda frustrating. I also find that I don't use those kind of forums as much either, cghub was great to quickly visit and see some images but I never used their forums.

This is really a problem with any community. Especially when it gets big enough that there's more content than the average visitor wants to see. People start looking for a way to filter things.

I think there are two different people that needs to be catered to. One is the viewer, who just wants to see cool art. That could be any one of us at times. CGHub was amazingly awesome at that. The other is someone participating. People who need exposure.

The problem there is that there are two types of people who need exposure. The pros who want to get noticed so they get picked up. And the newbs who really just need to get mileage and crits. And most communities want to have as many of the pro-type art being displayed, because it just draws in more people. Nothing wrong with that. But it does kinda mean that the newbs can get left behind.

The only people I know who made a community that works for people starting out is Gameartisans. Their mini competitions are exactly what folks need. I'm seeing something like that now on Conceptart.org with their Level-Up and art workshops.

I think PC needs both those things. It needs more image-focus on the site to better display cool art. And it needs more activities so that the newb stuff gets seen.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    It's a legit reason only if you are coming from the perspective of a viewer. As someone that participates, because of the difference in skill sets, as a minority on a forum it is super hard to get helpful feedback.

I don't know about you but as a mostly 2d guy you couldn't help but feel a bit out of place beforehand. So it is certainly a welcome addition.

Actually, speaking from the standpoint of a 2D artist, I know where Pogo's coming from. I touched a bit on my concerns in a previous post.

While it's true that previously, 2D stuff would often get ignored and the sketch thread was largely the same handful of people posting over and over, I also always appreciated the lack of separation for mediums. I think I learned a lot of what I know in a different way than some others, because I've been surrounded by 3D work here on polycount. I encountered a lot of work I would not have otherwise sought out because it was in WAYWO, etc. Getting feedback uniquely from other 2D artists is something that caused me to stray from other forums, I wanted to learn from artists of all sorts. And I do have worries that having 2D be its own thing could cause it to atrophy after the initial "new section" feeling wears off.

Myself, I was planning on posting a portfolio review thread in P&P a few weeks from now, and I was really curious how it would be received and what kind of feedback I'd get from my 3D focused kin. I'll still post it, but having it go in the designated "2D" section will be a different feeling and I'll probably have to try to contact several artists personally, since I'm not sure how many will be in the 2D area.

...having said all that, I am very pleased with the initiatives people like Dado & yourself are taking to inject energy into the new 2D section, and I am at the moment feeling unexpectedly optimistic. I'll continue doing my best to help, and will also continue visiting the 3D section as I used to. I wasn't as big a help as 3D pros I'm sure, but I still like learning their stuff & doing the occasional paintover. :)
  • moof
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Maybe WAYWO thread should be shared?
  • Ciprian
    Guys and girls, we are a team of CG enthusiasts who took it upon ourselves to transfer everything (as possible) from the archive to the new http://cghubs.com/forum/ - we will try to transfer posts, forums, topics, portfolios, images and more. Give us a hand!

I know it may sound spammy, but it's not. It's a real initiative. It's not finance related, it doesn't have a PRO side. It's just taking CGHub from the bottom of the ocean and bringing it back.
  • Lane
    Offline / Send Message
    Lane polycounter lvl 8
    CGHub was 90% Gallery, 10% Community.

DrawCrowd is similar, with a big thumb-board for images and minimal interaction.

Polycount is the opposite. Lots of community stuff, lots of threads, critique floating around, discussions, etc... It's much more verbal and involved. Don't expect PC to become the new CGHub. It's a totally different place.
  • lildragn
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    Looks like Ballistiq'shttp://www.artstation.com/ has sprung from the ashes
  • Galvanize
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.artstation.com/ looks pretty nice, but i can only register with a Facebook account? That sucks if there is no other option..!
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    It looks like you have the option to log in via facebook but it's not required. There's a page where you can request to get access as it is in Beta right now.
    The Beta Program

Our plan was originally to get a beta out in the Summer, but with the sudden shutting down of CGHub, we decided to get ArtStation out early. As a result, this is a very early Beta and we’re expecting there to be many issues, so please bear with us. You can count on us to continually improve and evolve the site.
    To get on ArtStation Beta 1, you must be invited. We will be inviting a few thousand artists we know in April, giving each one the ability to invite friends. You can request an invite with the form below.

http://www.artstation.com/about
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    art station looks badass!
  • leonardteo
    Offline / Send Message
    leonardteo polycounter lvl 4
    Hey guys,

Sorry for the confusion. You don't need FB to register. You have to request an invite at http://www.artstation.com/about/. We're sending out the invites in batches as we're trying to stabilize things. As more users jump on, we identify more bugs that we have to address, so this just prevents a big stampede.

Let me know if you have any questions or anything. Happy to help out.

Thanks!

Leo
    ArtStation guy
  • Galvanize
    Offline / Send Message
    ah i found the page where u can request :) i asked them via fb... they answer really fast :) hope to see some of you there :)
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    artstation looks cool too. could be a showdown between them and drawcrowd. id say drawcrowd has a bit of an advantage because they already have a lot of amazing 2d guys on board. we'll see...i'm trying to get an invite to artstation as well. does anyone know how to make suggestions for drawcrowd? like do they have forums anywhere?
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    artstation looks cool too. could be a showdown between them and drawcrowd. id say drawcrowd has a bit of an advantage because they already have a lot of amazing 2d guys on board. we'll see...i'm trying to get an invite to artstation as well. does anyone know how to make suggestions for drawcrowd? like do they have forums anywhere?

Maybe not. The crew that developed artstaion also developed drawcrowd.
  • Galvanize
    Offline / Send Message
    So i got an invite for artstation and i have to say this page is/becomes awesome! I think it will be a lot better than CGHub.

I played around with it now for a few minutes, if u wanna check out: http://www.artstation.com/artist/Mhuisgen

But i hope there will be really active forums and challenges..:)
  • Meteora
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, I'm really saddened that the site is gone. And I was thinking about actively checking out the art at CGhub again.

It would be kind of cool for Polycount to take CGhub's place, but as others have said you'll lose some of the community aspect as people begin to treat it more like an artdump akin to DeviantArt/CGHub and possibly Pixiv. Though I'm usually a viewer more than a participant so I'm heavily biased to streamlining the process of showcasing beautiful artwork.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Damn, Artstation looks awesome. Seems nice to host a folio there. Though there doesn't seem to be any interaction/community. Now if I could grab my hand on an Invite.

BTW, what do people thing about these kind of sites ? Do they replace personal folio website ?
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    So wait if this is the same people who made draw crowd... And this one is the pet project. I bet Feng is fucking pissed hahahaha.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Well after what happened with cghub, I would never use a site like that as my main folio. I will always keep my own personal site and gave backups of all my artwork. But it does serve as a nice secondary site you can update easier with more WIPs that you may not add to an actual folio site.
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Damn, Artstation looks awesome. Seems nice to host a folio there. Though there doesn't seem to be any interaction/community. Now if I could grab my hand on an Invite.

BTW, what do people thing about these kind of sites ? Do they replace personal folio website ?
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    So wait if this is the same people who made draw crowd... And this one is the pet project. I bet Feng is fucking pissed hahahaha.

I know right?!? What's the point of creating both?
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Well if I'm reading this correctly, art station has been in the works for a long time. And draw crowd was a commissioned job. Id rather back the one which the designers are actually invested in.

Meaning that art station will most likely be the more fully featured experience. Draw crowd as it stands is mostly just a wall of art.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I know right?!? What's the point of creating both?

Unless he owns both, monopolize.

Looks great people need invites to sites now?

Might as well put it out there, they should just add a resume section that goes somewhere near the side of all the images and boom, online portfolios with resumes at your finger tips.
    This since no one likes to download files.
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Liking ArtStation so far. It's rough around the edges but certainty has potential to be a viable CGHub replacement. Here is my page: http://www.artstation.com/artist/paulpepera
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got invite to ArtStation O o' That was fast...

Anyway, they don't put all your latest stuff on the homepage, only the recent Project. If you want to post up WIPs to grab audience, your project will look messy as hell :P

Seeing they kind of make you make your own page there as well, I take it they you to use it as a personal website as well, though it's quite limiting and restrictive in that regards. I'd prefer my site to look better than a hosted folio.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the invites are going out pretty fast. I managed to grab muzz as a handle which is rare. So i'm happy about that.

http://www.artstation.com/artist/Muzz

Man i really have to make some new art....
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone having toruble resizing the Crop on ArtStation ?
    http://www.artstation.com/artist/aduongsaa
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I honestly don't get the crop feature. I thought it was like drawcrowd where you could change what the thumbnail would look like but it didnt work for me.
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Anyone having toruble resizing the Crop on ArtStation ?
    http://www.artstation.com/artist/aduongsaa
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Most of the time the thumbnail you just Cropped would just revert back to the previous one as you hit Save...
  • TrampledUnderFoot
    Offline / Send Message
    TrampledUnderFoot polycounter lvl 7
    Liking artstation so far as well. Pretty easy to use and the mobile experience is actually quite nice.

Mine's in my sig. Not much on it yet but I'll get some more stuff up soon.

Also, if anyone needs an invite PM me your email. I'm sure they're still inviting through the regular app page though.
  • Karmageddon
  • Polyjunky
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyjunky greentooth
    I like Artstation you can have a more than one page and the comunity site has nice big thumbs
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    ArtStation looks great. A cookie for the creators.
  • Galvanize
    Offline / Send Message
    ballistiq is working 24/7 now on this project i think :)
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    I am liking Artstation's ease of use.
    Here is my quick go at it:
    http://www.artstation.com/artist/Joshflighter

I will have to upload more later. :)