Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: mrlemonyfresh (Simon Heggie)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
mrlemonyfresh polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, I'm starting off my sketchbook with a zbrush character who I will need a lot of feedback as i work on him.

This is a character I concepted fairly quickly. He is a revenant knight. In case you’re interested check out his back story at the bottom.

I watched the Gnomon Zbrush intro course and so i’m pretty confident about it but I will need a lot of feedback as i go for this to really reach my expectations, so please don't hold back! Really, i can take it.

By the end of it i hope to have a proper grasp on zbrush.

So far the biggest challenge I've had is working with the chains on my character. I modeled them in modo which was easy enough but they are cumbersome if i need to fix proportions etc. I ended up taking them out when i got the meshes into zbrush because they make up about 50 sub-tools (just about) I will work them in later.

Right now I suspect i have a bigger challenge coming up in getting the proportions corrected and adjusting the armour to suit. I really want to get those proportions correct first, so some help with that would be the most beneficial. I can tell that the hands are really lacking atm.

I did some thumbnails, found one i liked and painted over it.

concept.jpg

Blocked out the geometry in modo and exported it into zbrush (what you see below)

zbrush_S_Q.jpg

zbrush_S_1.jpg

zbrush_F_1.jpg

Here’s a reference board that i have on my other monitor. Probably needs some love.

http://www.simonheggie.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/ref_v01.jpg

And the backstory of this knight:

He was a loyal soldier who journeyed with an elite troupe of soldiers and the king to invade a foreign land. He had protected the king on many occasions, risking his life and destroying countless enemies to the throne. However the king had always treated him as a dog, well fed and paid but a dog none the less.

One day they were crossing a large tundra plain when they sighted the enemy city. The knight began walking faster ahead of the rest, keen for honor and glory. But out of that tunnel vision he hadn't noticed the lose cleft of earth beneath his feet. He lost his footing and fell into a ravine. He landed at the bottom of a great cavern where he broke his shoulder blade. He was no longer fit for battle. He called for help, but the king simply ordered for him to be put out of his misery through stoning from a great height. The knight evaded them into the reaches of the cavern. With such little penance for his life work he bitterly revoked his allegiance and swore vengeance. He had happened to fall neaby an old temple. Weak from the bleeding he entered to find a resting place to die. That's where he met the temple spirit.

The spirit was bound by a curse to protect the temple and while lacking the appropriate physical form, his power was necromancy. Although the curse was strong, the clever spirit had in time found a loophole in it's workings to regain power and his own desires for power which the knight would bring to reality. They struck a magically bound deal and the knight was granted eternal life, restoring him and vastly increasing his power to act upon his hatred of the king in exchange for guarding the power of the temple from intruders while the spirit regained control. Although the temple was well hidden, the spirit could feel the life force of a large band of thieves coming. Who would reveal to have taken the information from the dying temple priests of the city. Those thieves were the victorious army the knight had fallen from and the ungrateful king himself.

Drunk on power the troupe returned to the spot convinced they could extract power from the temple. Jaded by the events of his life and ready to die by the sword, the knight jumped them with no restrain. They were killed one by one by the abandoned knight to his own surprise, their souls absorbed by the curse as he went, and the king, the knight threw a boulder onto him to put him out of his misery. The knight gilded his own armor with the armor of his fallen army and sawed off the skull front of the king and wore it as a mask, now a relic and a memento of victory. The Knight still patrols that underworld, his sanity leaking through eternity, regretting his magically bound deal, waiting to die honorably in battle.