Home Technical Talk

Mudbox: Jagged/Uneven sculpting and smooth tool isn't working

Yeah, I know what you're thinking: The topology isn't even, or I need more subdivision levels...

Here is my base mesh: http://gyazo.com/e33e9fbcf68f2c7d6551cbe17949c84c

This is sculpting at subdivision level 6: http://gyazo.com/c64653f5ca1554b0b2234916117de765

Smooth shade is turned on, and same results for both tablet and mouse. I have to go over the same area several times to get any kind of "smooth" line. Sculpting also doesn't work at all if the brush is below a certain size.

The smooth tool doesn't work at all. I have tried suggestions from other forums, like resetting the tool, or changing to strength to "9999", no beans.

Does anyone have any idea what could be my issue here? Did I send my model to Mudbox improperly or something? Any tips or suggestions for me to try? Anything! I'm really at a loss here, and starting to freak out now...

Thanks!

Replies

• cubialpha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    The usual course of action when Mudbox acts up is to delete the preferences files and try again.

Yeah :-/

Thanks, could you explain how to do that??

Edit: Oh I found a tutorial. Let's see if this works!

Edit 2: No beans!!! It must be something with my model... Any suggestions??
  • cubialpha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    The only thing I can think of is object scale. If it's too tiny or too huge, tools will behave funny. Keeping scales in the range of 100-1000.0 units tends to be a safe bet

Thank you for replying. By "units", do you mean 3DS Max's default units (I think it's inches)? I've been suggested to do this as well; I resized and re-sent to Mudbox several times, and while I think I found a size that acts a little nicer, there is still jagged sculpting and broken smooth tool :(

Could it perhaps be an issue with my hardware?

Here are my specs: Windows7 Intel i7 M620 2.67GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit OS