Home Technical Talk

Best workflow/tutorial for creating facial blendshapes for UE4?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Stirls polycounter lvl 8
I'm trying to figure out the best way of creating a face with multiple expressions. Namely, my main problem is creating the topology to support it in the lowpoly.

Are there any proven methods of doing this? Is there a "neutral" position my lowpoly should be in (eyes closed, mouth open, etc.)?

Replies

• CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    You might want to look into Jason Osipa's Stop Staring book. It explains pretty much everything from topology to shape and rig creation and comes with a bunch of example files and a useful Maya shelf. I recommend you grab some of the files to see how the shapes are set up.

Here is an explanation of topology for animation. Haven't looked through it entirely.

The ideal "neutral" position for your character is "bored". That is, mouth closed, eyes open, no expression whatsoever.

On a side note: If you're looking for something sophisticated for controlling the blend shapes, specifically for lip-sync, etc., FaceFX has been released for UE4 recently: https://unreal.facefx.com/
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Beautiful. Thanks for the help. My main worry about the "bored" open eye expression was getting the topology for the eyelid. I suppose it'll just take some experimentation.